What Changes Would You Make to Invincible's Track List?

Spaceship

Proud Member
1. "Unbreakable"
2. "Escape"
3. "Break Of Dawn"
4. "Heaven Can Wait"
5. "Blue Gangster"
6. "You Rock My World"
7. "Butterflies"
8. "Speechless"
9. "Threatened"
10. "Shout"
11. "Whatever Happens"
12. "We've Had Enough"

And I'd rename it to Unbreakable.

Last edited:
Wow that is quite a change but it did make me listen to the album again lol though its been ages 😊

yeah, unbreakable would have been a better title, I agree.
but I won’t touch the track list though. It has its memories so...
I love how it ends on Threatened like a sublime message of ‘don’t mess with me’ as I’m ‘unbreakable’

omg. I can’t believe you skipped “heartbreaker” 😮 It’s one of my faves and the first song that stuck in my head with the album was just out.

Yeash, I do love the songs you squeezed into it but then it isn’t Vince anymore the way we remember it.

As the memories are flooding in since the album is blasting here lol 🎶😎🎶

Re: How would you have changed Invincible's tracklist?

I quite liked "Heartbreaker" when I first listened to it in 2009; I remember constantly playing one YouTube video with the song back then. Listening to it now, though, I think it was too NSYNC-ish for MJ.

I don't know about the order, but i would make:

Unbreakable
Heartbraker
Whatever Happens
Blue Gangsta
Shout
You Rock My World
We've Had Enough
Threatened
Butterflies
She Was Loving Me
Slave to The Rhythm
Heaven Can Wait

I believe that the best Michael's songs and versatility vocals are in the Invicible Era, but the best songs didn't go to the album. For me the tracklist was messy, with too many songs and a lot of then are not so good as the unreleased ones.

1. Unbreakable
2. Heartbreaker
3. Invincible
4. You Rock My World
5. Fall Again
6. 2,000 Watts
7. Whatever Happens
8. Speechless
9. The Lost Children
10. Xscape
11. We've Had Enough
12. Threatened

Last edited:

Album would've renamed "Unbreakable" by starting with the by the track under the same name and end the album with "We've Had Enough".

1. "Unbreakable"
2. "Heartbreaker"
3. "Invincible"
4. "You Rock My World"
5. "2000 Watts"
6. "Break Of Dawn"
7. "Speechless"
8. "Heaven Can Wait"
9. "Whatever Happens"
10. "Threatened"
11. "Butterflies"
12. "The Lost Children"
13. "We've Had Enough"

1. Xscape
2. Hollywood Tonight
3. Break Of Dawn
4. She Got It
5. Butterflies
6. You Rock My World (no spoken intro)
7. Speechless
8. She Was Loving Me- featuring Steve Stevens on guitar
9. Blue Gangsta
10. Don't Walk Away
11. Shout
12. A Place Without No Name
13. Whatever Happens- featuring Carlos Santana
14. Threatened
15. For All Time

Album title changed to Whatever Happens

My favorite topic lol

But here is my improved tracklist for Invincible.

1) Unbreakable
2) Heartbreaker
3) Break of Dawn
4) Hollywood Tonight
5) Heaven Can Wait
6) You Rock My World
7) Butterflies
8) Speechless
9) She Was Loving Me (Rock version)
10) You Are My Life
11) Whatever Happens
12) Threatened
13) Xscape
14) A Place with no Name
15) We've Had Enough

Title: Xscape

Cool thread, it always seems like a tough subject for fans

I would have shortened it to 10 songs 11 max
I would have separated or not used all the opening 3 tracks
Not used a lot of the ballads. Even though as Mike said "they make a Michael Jackson album" I think too many can seem insincere, which is something Mike wasn't
Probably would have shortened some of the tracks themselves. I'm all for riding a groove out but timing is everything
I would have had the tracks have Michael's own backing vocals only, I feel this was a huge mistake of the record
Most importantly Don't Walk Away wouldn't be anywhere near the record

Unbreakable

1. Unbreakable (Cut at 5.47)
2. Threatened
3. Xscape
4. Break Of Dawn
5. We've Had Enough
6. You Rock My World (no intro)
7. Butterflies
8. Whatever Happens
9. Speechless
10. A Place With No Name

I would have a finished version (if there was one) of Beautiful Girl as a bonus track

I'd still call it Invincible.

1. Unbreakable
2. Threatened
3. Xscape
4. You Rock My World (no spoken intro)
5. Invincible
6. Whatever Happens
7. The Way She Loves Me
8. Don't Walk Away
9. Hollywood Tonight
10. For All Time
11. Cry
12. Hold My Hand
13. We've Had Enough

I wouldn't. I showed some music friends Invincible in a thing where we all put forward an album [10 of us]. Invincible came out top, none of them had heard it before.

Cool thread, it always seems like a tough subject for fans

I would have shortened it to 10 songs 11 max
I would have separated or not used all the opening 3 tracks
Not used a lot of the ballads. Even though as Mike said "they make a Michael Jackson album" I think too many can seem insincere, which is something Mike wasn't
Probably would have shortened some of the tracks themselves. I'm all for riding a groove out but timing is everything
I would have had the tracks have Michael's own backing vocals only, I feel this was a huge mistake of the record
Most importantly Don't Walk Away wouldn't be anywhere near the record

Unbreakable

1. Unbreakable (Cut at 5.47)
2. Threatened
3. Xscape
4. Break Of Dawn
5. We've Had Enough
6. You Rock My World (no intro)
7. Butterflies
8. Whatever Happens
9. Speechless
10. A Place With No Name

I would have a finished version (if there was one) of Beautiful Girl as a bonus track

This would have been a killer album! Though I personally adore 2000 watts and would have included it

This would have been a killer album! Though I personally adore 2000 watts and would have included it

Thanks man! Yeah 2000 Watts was a close call, I like that song too. Michael and Teddy always seem to deliver the goods

OK, for a first post, this is going to be controversial lol.
Here is my track list:

You Rock My World
Threatened
Heartbreaker
Break of Dawn
2000 Watts
Invincible
Privacy
Don’t Walk Away
Whatever Happens
Unbreakable

I would also rename the album to Unbreakable too.
I've cut quite a few tracks and to me Invincible is Michael weakest album, always has been.
Maybe it's because of the (seemingly) hundreds of co-writers he used that time around.
Also, and I may be alone with this opinion, I have a feeling that the fact that his co-producers
and co-writers were so obviously and so heavily influenced by Michael's early work, didn't help.
Butterflies is the biggest example of that to me. It sounds a bit like Michael immitating early
Michael (to me!). But that's not the only reason I left it off the track list. I also don't like
the naked sound of it. It sounds like an unfinished demo to me.
Along with Heaven Can Wait the melodies are too monotonous for my liking. Heaven Can Wait also
sounds very nineties to me and not in a good way.

Speechless and You Are My Life sound very generic to me musically. Very simple. I guess that's
what he was going for, but I really really don't like it.
And The Lost Children is the same for me. The predictable and overly simple harmonies and chords
and the melody itself. It's not for me.
Cry - it just makes me cringe. ""If we all cry at the same time tonight" - I mean, come on...

To me the strongest track is Unbreakable, even though it's also kinda immitaty. The bridge alone
is simply to die for. Classic MJ I am tempted to say. The bridge of "Unbreakable" is my favorite
bit of the album.
The other highlight is Whatever Happens, although I seem to remember that Michael sounds kinda
nasal on it. But the story he's telling and the drama, it just hits the spot.
I also really like You Rock My World, even though I really could have done without Chris Tucker
and his jokes in the intro. I don't like spoken intros anyway.

So yeah, that's it.

Yes, I agree! What are your thoughts about Shout?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. Hope that's ok.
I was quite disappointed by Shout. The verses I totally loved. But the chorus just sounds so similar to a song with the same title by (I think) Lulu.
Still better than several Invincible songs in my opinion.

Yes, I agree! What are your thoughts about Shout?

I like it. I love how it builds to a climax and then just unleashes fury. Also it was cool to hear Michael use his quick voice again like, Jam and Tabloid Junkie (two of my favourite tracks). You?

This is the playlist I put together. I think it’s pretty okay, but could use some adjusting. I’d change the title to “Unbreakable”, like everyone else.

1. Unbreakable
2. Break of Dawn
3. Another Day
4. You Rock My World
5. Heartbreaker
6. Butterflies
7. We’ve Had Enough
8. Don’t Walk Away
9. Blue Gangsta
10. Whatever Happens
11. The Way You Love Me
12. Xscape

I got rid of Invincible because it didn’t really think it really fit with the songs I ended up choosing. I got rid of everything from Speechless to Privacy because they were the most glaring weak points in the album to me. I got rid of Cry because I think that We’ve Had Enough is a better humanitarian song, has more to say, and says it powerfully. I got rid of “The Lost Children” because to me, it was another weak point, and again, it didn’t really fit. I was hesitant to add The Way You Love Me, but I thought that Whatever Happens transitioning straight into Xscape gave the album a rushed ending. I added Blue Gangsta because I think the album some more momentum after the lows of Don’t Walk Away. I also added Another Day to sort of add some funkiness after the velvety Break of Dawn. That’s pretty much it.

I would’ve retired the album to Unbreakable. Also without pulling from any B-Sides or Unreleased music I would’ve made the album shorter with this track order:
1. Unbreakable
2. Heartbreaker
3. Don’t Walk Away
4. Threatened
5. You Rock My World
6. Buttefflies
7. Speechless
8. Privacy
9. Cry
10. Whatever Happens
11. You Are My Life

I'd just add shout to the tracklist after 2000 Watts. If I'd have to remove a track, I'd remove Privacy

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. Hope that's ok.
I was quite disappointed by Shout. The verses I totally loved. But the chorus just sounds so similar to a song with the same title by (I think) Lulu.
Still better than several Invincible songs in my opinion.

Yeah that shout chorus is from an old Isley Brother song, I thought it was rather nice that they used it.

[youtube]gxkBzessoSA[/youtube]

I like it. I love how it builds to a climax and then just unleashes fury. Also it was cool to hear Michael use his quick voice again like, Jam and Tabloid Junkie (two of my favourite tracks). You?

Right on man! My only complaint would be that the verses are a bit to unintelligible. I wish they'd turn up the volume just a little for the verses. Imo the verses shows how great of a lyricist MJ was.

I had always felt that the album was too short. So much was recorded during the Invincible sessions that It could easily had been a longer album, maybe even a double disc release. Also, as the album was released with a variety of coloured covers, I would have altered the tracklist for each colour, maybe each having a different bonus track

Hmm..... I whould change on the album:

N O T H I N G !

I know I was not so amazed with the album when it camed out in 2001 and didn't listen to every song, but today I'm very thankful that the album is what is, love EVERY song and didn't wanna miss one.
MJ has my compleate respect and adoration for this album!

What I whould change instead are 3 circumstances in MJs life:
1. War with sony and that they didn't keep the promise to promote and support the album.
(He should have maybe decided to make everything under his own Label.)
It whould have made it possible that we whould have seen more shortfilms, performorces and concerts.
2. MJ meets the Aviso Family
3. MJ decided to make a documantary about him together with a journalist and met Bashir.
He should have made a documantary on his own like the private home movies instead.

The biggest question when it comes to Invincible is always:
Why did MJ always hold so much powerful or sometimes better songs back and didn't relese it on a album?

For me the answer is:
He wanted to make with them his bigest dream come true to create beautiful powerful movies.

He wanted this so badly after 2000 and when he could have done this he whould have not only whritten and directed them, he whould also whrite and compose the most of the music!
So when the three things I mentioned didn't had happened and he could have get the chance to create movies, I am very sure that we whould have heared some of the songs which were not on the 10 regular albums in a Michael Jackson movie (reworked) as part of powerful soundtracks!

Maybe with this perspective some people could see Invincible in a better light becuase they can maybe better understand why the album is what it is.
I feel sad that the album didn't get so much honar and celebration and people whould remove so many tracks.
I am sure MJ always tried to give us the best he could and with Invinceible back when it was recorded it was the best for him at the moment he could and want give! For him his career didn't end in 2001 with the release of this album. He had much bigger and better projects in mind!
He often said:
" You have seen nothing yet.
The best is yet to come."

For me Invincible is always a unfinished project of MJ simular to This it which is unfair to compare to the finished projects like History or Bad.
Cause we don't get the short filmes, performances and concerts etc. which were always part of a MJ project.

Last edited:
I didn't notice this thread otherwise I would have posted my latest post in here.

I've always been disappointed in the album, poor selection of songs, way too long and a retreat to past themes for example privacy, threatened, cry etc. Now in itself that's not a problem but they can't stand ext to anthems like will you be there, why you wanna trip on me or is it scary.
Then there's you are my life, speechless and the lost children which I find way too corny and safe.

I know he recorded a lot for this record but given what was actually released I don't have high hopes for the unused tracks.

I've often thought about this. The album is too long- not for me of course- but for the market. There's a great commercially tight album buried in there.

If I had any say it would have been as follows

1. Unbreakable
2. Heartbreaker
3. You Rock My World
4. Butterflies
5. Break Of Dawn
6 2000 Watts
7. Whatever Happens
8. Cry
9. Heaven Can Wait
10.You Are My Life
11.Invincible

They've already had a thread about this on another forum and I thought it would be a good discussion here.

Personally I think Invincible should've been a double album (since he wasn't gonna tour anyway) and my dream tracklist would've been like this:

DISC ONE:
1. Unbreakable
2. Can’t Get Your Weight Off Of Me
3. Invincible
4. Break of Dawn
5. Heaven Can Wait
6. Butterflies
7. You Rock My World
8. Chicago

DISC TWO:
1. Hollywood Tonight
2. 2000 Watts
3. Shout
4. Jungle
5. Rampage
6. Xscape
7. Monster (1999 version, finished obviously)
8. (We’ve Had) Enough
9. Threatened

I think if "We've Had Enough" had been included, with the timing of the album's release being after 9/11, it would've 100% become a hit.

Re: What would your ideal tracklist for INVINCIBLE be?

1. Unbreakable
  2. You Rock My World
  3. Heartbreaker (feat. Fats)
  4. Break of Dawn
  5. Shout
  6. The Way You Love Me
  7. Beautiful Girl
  8. Don't Walk Away
  9. Escape
  10. Fall Again
  11. Whatever Happens
  12. Threatened

Re: What would your ideal tracklist for INVINCIBLE be?

1. Xscape
2. Don't Walk Away
3. Hollywood Tonight
4. Break Of Dawn
5. You Rock My World
6. Invincible
7. We've Had Enough
8. Threatened

This is the strongest album I could see with the tracks currently to hand. The inclusion of 'Invincible' is solely because it exudes the strength of Michael during that time, and its a pretty killer album title.

Back