Question about "Breathe"

mjfan_93

Proud Member
I read somewhere that Michael was working on a new song just a few days before he passed. He send it to his friend Deepak Chopra to help him with the lyrics. So it's pretty save to say that the song is just instrumental. Do we know anything more about it? Was it created by MJ himself (ProTools) or is it a song created by Brad Buxer / Neff-U / Michael Prince?

I really wish the Estate would release the instrumental because it is unbelievable beautiful.

Link to the instrumental:
https://youtu.be/mdIwCrdtdtQ

I read somewhere that Michael was working on a new song just a few days before he passed. He send it to his friend Deepak Chopra to help him with the lyrics. So it's pretty save to say that the song is just instrumental. Do we know anything more about it? Was it created by MJ himself (ProTools) or is it a song created by Brad Buxer / Neff-U / Michael Prince?

I really wish the Estate would release the instrumental because it is unbelievable beautiful.

Link to the instrumental:
https://youtu.be/mdIwCrdtdtQ

I don't know anything about this song but I doubt MJ created anything himself using a tool such as Protools. He wasn't technically savvy.

I don't know anything about this song but I doubt MJ created anything himself using a tool such as Protools. He wasn't technically savvy.

Nor very musically savvy. He used to just sing the song has he heard it in his head. I doubt he could lay this down.

Nor very musically savvy. He used to just sing the song has he heard it in his head. I doubt he could lay this down.

Lol come on, MJ has been a professional recording artist since the 70's. You really don't think he knew his way around some software programs? It doesn't take a genius to figure that stuff out.

He did just sing what he heard in his head to someone and they played it on various instruments but I wouldn't define that as not musically savvy.

Lol come on, MJ has been a professional recording artist since the 70's. You really don't think he knew his way around some software programs? It doesn't take a genius to figure that stuff out.

Collaborators have said Michael didn't often touch the recording equipment. If he had any tech savvy, he kept it to himself.

It is an open secret that MJ was not technically savvy.

This has been also corroborated over the years by his closest collaborators (such as Matt Forger, Dan Beck).

“… The fact that he [MJ] wasn’t a technically oriented person actually fit in to the philosophy of how we worked in the studio because we would always make the technology follow what was required creatively and Michael had great creative ideas…" (Matt Forger)

Dan Beck, who was also the one who came up with the ‘HIStory’ album title (the play on words), stated the following.

“… I was around him [MJ] when he was in the studio, and he was never particularly a musician in the technical sense - he was a guy with ideas in his head and he would interpret them through musicians…" (Dan Beck)

MJ also never really felt any need in learning how technical things worked because he always had the luxury of being surrounded by some of the best sound engineers/technicians in the world.

Besides, MJ thought that if he started to get involved in all those technical things/computer programs, then that would have hindered his flow of creativity.

I know we like to jump to Michael’s defence but my post was not a criticism. He’s a musical genius no doubt but you are delusional if you think he could’ve used Pro Tools or something similar to make this.

It isn't at all disrespectful to Michael to suggest that he couldn't make his way around Pro Tools. If he could have, you'd think he wouldn't have been as reliant on Michael Prince during his last few years.

There's no reason to get bothered by someone saying he's wasn't technically savvy.. Come on do we have to be that strung up by peoples words? He wasn't an instrumentalist and he worked with professionals when it comes to various programs related to music and film..

Yes he knew with way around a sound board and could play a little with instruments.. But he wasn't an instrumentalist nor was there a reason to learn various technical programs.. His instrument was his brain and body.. He knew his talents and understood there are others that can do things he doesn't..

No one is saying he was incapable of learning, he just had no reason to.. Michael Jackson was not good at EVERYTHING.. just most things! lol

Yeah to describe him as not 'musically savvy' is ridiculous! Go with technical if you must lol

Yeah to describe him as not 'musically savvy' is ridiculous! Go with technical if you must lol

Well in terms of playing instruments and reading sheet music, he's not musically savvy at all. He was a genius in a completely different, unique way. Does that detract from his talent? Not at all. He composed the greatest pop music in history.

I feel sometimes people on this forum leap to blindly praise the man.

Not MUSICALLY savvy? someones smokin' some wild sh!t!! haha

the definition of musical is having a pleasant sound; melodious; tuneful

he spent much of his life creating pleasant sounds & melodies...

Music is not just a man made language that people read, or a specific talent on an instrument.. Being musically inclined is having a deep understanding of music, how it works, creating patterns with sounds that are pleasant to the ear.. He WAS that! he's created great music, he may not have played instruments but he conducted sounds that were so strong it broke barriers..

Michael was 100% a musical genius, no one becomes the largest known musical artist without being musically inclined.. What do you think he was doing when he would beatbox an entire composition and bring in the instrumentalists to duplicate what he heard in his head? CREATING MUSIC!!

And in my honest opinion, the fact he could hear these compositions in his head, demonstrate and explain it in a way that it translates to actual sound makes it even more special than someone that decided to pick up a guitar or learned how to read sheet music.. Sheet music isn't music, it's just a visual representation to train people how to make specific sounds and patters.. Michael created that in his mind. He spoke it by feeling, not some training.

Music is not just a man made language that people read, or a specific talent on an instrument.. Being musically inclined is having a deep understanding of music, how it works, creating patterns with sounds that are pleasant to the ear.. He WAS that! he's created great music, he may not have played instruments but he conducted sounds that were so strong it broke barriers..

Michael was 100% a musical genius, no one becomes the largest known musical artist without being musically inclined.. What do you think he was doing when he would beatbox an entire composition and bring in the instrumentalists to duplicate what he heard in his head? CREATING MUSIC!!

And in my honest opinion, the fact he could hear these compositions in his head, demonstrate and explain it in a way that it translates to actual sound makes it even more special than someone that decided to pick up a guitar or learned how to read sheet music.. Sheet music isn't music, it's just a visual representation to train people how to make specific sounds and patters.. Michael created that in his mind. He spoke it by feeling, not some training.

Well said!!

I'm not smoking anything, you have flat out missed my point which was that Michael Jackson did not have the musical savvy to create this track himself. Sure, he heard it. But he did not make it, nor could he. This is obvious to anyone who has ever heard about the man's work process. Your paragraphs on MJs genius are unnecessary. I am not taking away from the fact he could hear the compositions and then speak them.

He just simply couldn't create this himself, which is what was initially implied before everyone jumped to defend Michael's genius for no reason.

LOL I think you two are actually in agreement. :)

MJ was pivotal in creating brilliant music through the ideas that he brought to the table but he was unable to recreate his ideas himself. He couldn't play instruments to any level of professionalism. he couldn't operate computer-based tools. He probably had a basic understanding of old-style mixing desks but wasn't proficient. He needed other people to fully realise his ideas for him. No shame in that.

^ And that doesn't make him any less 'musically savvy'.. He just didn't have all the tools to create a song from start to finish in a releasable quality without other professionals. That is 99% of the music industry.. Someone operating a computer program doesn't necessarily need to be musically inclined.. It's the person behind him/her asking to hear specific things that is the Musically inclined one.. In this case Michael!

that's all I'm saying..

Well in terms of playing instruments and reading sheet music, he's not musically savvy at all. He was a genius in a completely different, unique way. Does that detract from his talent? Not at all. He composed the greatest pop music in history.

I feel sometimes people on this forum leap to blindly praise the man.

So we've all to take your interpretation of that phrase?

I love that one minute on this forum it is implied that I'm a hater and then the next I'm blindly praising!

Back