More Info About Bad Tour on Film

Galactus123

Proud Member
Donations
$18.00
We know that they did shoot 35mm film on Bad Tour but here might be some more info about it. I don't know if someone has noticed this before but the colorist Warren Eagles who worked in London in 1988 talks about it a little bit in this 2011 podcast around 06:30:

http://www.taoofcolor.com/441/interview-colorist-warren-eagles-part-1/

He says that they were shooting film for fun in those days. 35mm, 16mm and they had stacks on film.

He is the same guy who wrote this:

https://icolorist.com/2011/07/29/grading-michael-jackson/

I really hope Estate still has all the footage so they can release a concert on Blu-Ray. I didn't know if I should have put this thread in 2000 Watts section or here. This is not about downloads so I think this is the right place for this.

Yeah I feel like we heard all this before.

When you think about it, the Bad Tour was like the biggest tour ever up til that point. The biggest star on the entire planet on his first ever solo tour - and also touted as the last - breaking Guinness world records at will....and it wasn't filmed? Or it was filmed and the footage simply lost?

When you consider the other artists out there and the wealth of filmed material that exists of them it really is quite shocking.

Yeah I feel like we heard all this before.

When you think about it, the Bad Tour was like the biggest tour ever up til that point. The biggest star on the entire planet on his first ever solo tour - and also touted as the last - breaking Guinness world records at will....and it wasn't filmed? Or it was filmed and the footage simply lost?

When you consider the other artists out there and the wealth of filmed material that exists of them it really is quite shocking.

My exact thoughts. The idea that that they never filmed at least 1 concert in full makes no sense whatsoever. Even if they never fully catalogued all the archives in 2012 doesnt mean that they haven't done it by now..
I think Hulk mentioned someone on an FB group stating that the estate found the Wembley films just before bad25 was supposed to be released and decided to shelve it - just hearsay but if true, it's a good sign that the film isn't lost...

My exact thoughts. The idea that that they never filmed at least 1 concert in full makes no sense whatsoever. Even if they never fully catalogued all the archives in 2012 doesnt mean that they haven't done it by now..
I think Hulk mentioned someone on an FB group stating that the estate found the Wembley films just before bad25 was supposed to be released and decided to shelve it - just hearsay but if true, it's a good sign that the film isn't lost...

It sounds the kind of thing a fan would make up.

I really feel a concert Blu-ray release should've been done long ago. Wembley 1988 in 1080p would be spectacular...

Ha, ha I want the concert from Gothenburg (Sweden) released on DVD, was there... such an amazing concert :)

Ha, ha I want the concert from Gothenburg (Sweden) released on DVD, was there... such an amazing concert :)

No TWYMMF and MITM in those concerts.

I really want to see an early US show, preferably Kansas City.

My thoughts on this is that there are some film footage, yes, but the Estate won't let it out.
For sure they had everything catalogued back in 2012, when they were digging up old boxes for the Bad 25 release.

This is all the info we have so far regarding shows that were shot on film:

-Aintree September 11th 1988 was shot on film in full.
The results were apparently disappointing because of bad weather and camera positioning.
(Source: David Powell, Go Flying)

-Two Wembley shows were shot with 16mm and 35mm film cameras.
(Source: Warren Eagles)

The different shows from 'Another Part Of Me' Bad 25 version:

- Wembley July 22nd
https://twitter.com/Dethorro1/status/1203404276250361856/photo/1

-Paris June 27th/28th
https://twitter.com/Dethorro1/status/1203404429082464257/photo/1

-July 14th
https://twitter.com/Dethorro1/status/1203404574222147585/photo/1

-Minneapolis May 6th(?)
https://twitter.com/Dethorro1/status/1203404715331117064/photo/1

-New York
https://twitter.com/Dethorro1/status/1203404930712850433/photo/1

The person actually said it on this forum in 2000 Watts. It was the person who had multitracks of the shows. His name was Go Flying

https://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/...-film/page24?p=3828299&viewfull=1#post3828299

Last edited:
The person actually said it on this forum in 2000 Watts. It was the person who had multitracks of the shows. His name was Go Flying

https://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/...-film/page24?p=3828299&viewfull=1#post3828299
Interesting thread. Sadly I think he was only referring to tape masters. I think he also said that no BAD tour concert was completely filmed which other sources completely contradict that.

Last question for those who may want to think about these things..... BAD25 video was claimed to be sourced from MJ's personal VHS copy. All the original source materials were finally located in MJ's archives yet the estate claimed that MJ's vhs vid found on his nightstand was the only remaining video copy.

I tweeted Warren Eagles about it and he answered:

"It was all filmed and edited but never released. Nobody seems to know where the masters are."

https://twitter.com/warreneagles/status/672046264083607553?lang=fi

I hope Estate has them somewhere. It would be really shame it they are lost.
Definitely looks like 'BAD' to me! plus i spoke with Nocturne Prod. and they told me Michael had 3 english crews following him 24/7 shooting film.. Aintree is basically confirmed, Cork is very likely.. as is possibly July 14th & 23rd at Wembley..
Hes referring to pausing at 8 seconds you see a snippet of BAD in moonwalker.
Zakk really tried to dig as much as he could on this.

Last edited:
He said that Aintree was shot on film in full.
Did he mention that in the above thread? I must of missed that. I could be confusing Flying with someone else.
Regardless, fan research has shown film material exists which I think we all hope gets released.

Did he mention that in the above thread? I must of missed that. I could be confusing Flying with someone else.
Regardless, fan research has shown film material exists which I think we all hope gets released.

Yup! This is what he wrote on page 15:

''Zakk, yes, 'some' film reels exist, but not nearly as many as you would like to believe. Aintree was shot on film but apparently the results were very disappointing due to weather, camera positions and apparently some poor person getting serious emergency medical treatment at the foot of the stage for the first few songs - this is how Aintree was described to me by the film production manager (who worked for Patrick Kelly) who I spoke to several times. Notwithstanding this,she admits that it is indeed possible her memory is hazy after so many years.

Wembley was NOT shot in entirety on film.

Sony never ever had of the PK film in their archives.

patrick Kelly turned over all the bad tour materials to MJ vaults at the end of the bad tour where they remain however they were not identified nor catalogued until last year. Patrick has retired and wishes to have nothing to do with the entertainment industry. Tracking him down and persuading him to speak was almost surreal in difficulty.

Nvertheless, given the materials that were to hand, the overall quality of BAD25 leaves much to be desired.

The re-edit of Another Part of Me???? The sync is just awful, appalling amateurish slapdash poorest quality work.

...and don't get me started on the 5.1 or stereo mixes....

Michael never in his life released anything less than superb work of the highest artistic AND technical quality. Work that stands the test of time as a touchstone of integrity.

The problem however is that given the mediocre sales of 'Michael' and given the unbelievably terrible sales of BAD 25 it's more likely that hell will freeze over before another Bad era concert is released.''

Yup! This is what he wrote on page 15:

''Zakk, yes, 'some' film reels exist, but not nearly as many as you would like to believe. Aintree was shot on film but apparently the results were very disappointing due to weather, camera positions and apparently some poor person getting serious emergency medical treatment at the foot of the stage for the first few songs - this is how Aintree was described to me by the film production manager (who worked for Patrick Kelly) who I spoke to several times. Notwithstanding this,she admits that it is indeed possible her memory is hazy after so many years.

Wembley was NOT shot in entirety on film.

Sony never ever had of the PK film in their archives.

patrick Kelly turned over all the bad tour materials to MJ vaults at the end of the bad tour where they remain however they were not identified nor catalogued until last year. Patrick has retired and wishes to have nothing to do with the entertainment industry. Tracking him down and persuading him to speak was almost surreal in difficulty.

Nvertheless, given the materials that were to hand, the overall quality of BAD25 leaves much to be desired.

The re-edit of Another Part of Me???? The sync is just awful, appalling amateurish slapdash poorest quality work.

...and don't get me started on the 5.1 or stereo mixes....

Michael never in his life released anything less than superb work of the highest artistic AND technical quality. Work that stands the test of time as a touchstone of integrity.

The problem however is that given the mediocre sales of 'Michael' and given the unbelievably terrible sales of BAD 25 it's more likely that hell will freeze over before another Bad era concert is released.''

Ok so thats what I was referring to. Warren Eagles claims Wembley was filmed in full and he edited/graded the film himself at vision labs.

Back