History Tour in Theatres?!

mano

Proud Member
Hey MJ Fans!

Hope you’re all ok over there!
I was wondering if there is any info on the internet about this rumor on the History Tour being presented in theatres?

mano;4223366 said:
Hey MJ Fans!

Hope you’re all ok over there!
I was wondering if there is any info on the internet about this rumor on the History Tour being presented in theatres?

Pretty sure that was an old rumour that never came to pass.

omg that would be amazing

Yeah, I would like it, too. I know that John Branca stated that he'd like to do something with the HIStory Tour.....that's what probably sparked the rumour.....but there hasn't been anything definitive. I won't get excited until there's an official announcement.

Mikky Dee;4223386 said:
Yeah, I would like it, too. I know that John Branca stated that he'd like to do something with the HIStory Tour.....that's what probably sparked the rumour.....but there hasn't been anything definitive. I won't get excited until there's an official announcement.

I’ve seen a YouTube video from Kai, not so long ago about the rumors, so it must be still upcoming again instead of ‘just an old rumor’.

I have my favorites but if it will happen I hope they do a sort of TII style so the people can see the behind the scenes etc.

John Branca said that he would like to see the HD HIStory Tour concert to be released in 3D in cinemas. He said it at Bad 25 Q&A in 2012. I hope that doesn't happen. HIStory Tour shouldn't be shown in cinemas. It has too much lip-syncing so it wouldn't make Michael look good. Maybe a Blu-ray/dvd release.

It should just be another DVD and Blu Ray release to be honest because it would be more successful perhaps.

Give us HAWAII! :)

It should just be another DVD and Blu Ray release to be honest because it would be more successful perhaps.

Give us HAWAII! :)

It would be the Munich concert we already have. Branca mentioned it to be a German concert that is in HD. I don't think they should release concerts that people have already seen. Maybe only if the quality will be much better.

Branca mentioned it briefly six years ago. No movement as far as anyone is aware though.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the History tour should fade into obscurity and never be given the spotlight for even a moment. Doing anything with it commercially would be one of the worst moves the Estate could make (behind anything involving the 30th anniversary concert and the nine remaining Cascio tracks).

The Estate invited many fan clubs out for an evening towards the end of last year where they outlined their plans for future releases. MJ World said this:

Tours

Mr. Branca told us that Michael’s ‘HIStory’ tour (1996-1997) was really the only tour filmed that is suitable for high definition, surround sound, multi camera angles etc… He foresees that the tour could possibly be released when they come to commemorate that album or during an anniversary. He did add that ‘HIStory’ is his favorite album but doubts it would ever be a theatrical release, meaning it would probably go straight to DVD/Netflix.

ChrisC;4223431 said:
Michael’s ‘HIStory’ tour (1996-1997) was really the only tour filmed that is suitable for high definition, surround sound, multi camera angles etc… .[/I]

Really?.then they need to research the libary.Let me post that clip

[video=youtube;IGKmCSIyqRI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGKmCSIyqRI[/video]

There are nice quality footages from both Bad and Dangerous tours.just needs minor makeover and a perfect and vhs digitization.
About the audio format:The Wembley concert has pretty nice audio.and the most important thing.they kept it orginal.
But for that.It requres some smart mixing on the audio soundboard and the fixes.

ChrisC;4223431 said:
The Estate invited many fan clubs out for an evening towards the end of last year where they outlined their plans for future releases. MJ World said this:

Tours

Mr. Branca told us that Michael’s ‘HIStory’ tour (1996-1997) was really the only tour filmed that is suitable for high definition, surround sound, multi camera angles etc… He foresees that the tour could possibly be released when they come to commemorate that album or during an anniversary. He did add that ‘HIStory’ is his favorite album but doubts it would ever be a theatrical release, meaning it would probably go straight to DVD/Netflix.

Come on branca, you know that's not true.

Would have been more interesting,doing something with the "Dangerous"Tour,but hey..Fans don't want HIStory tour given attention,so there's a good chance,the Estate will do it!

John Branca said that he would like to see the HD HIStory Tour concert to be released in 3D in cinemas. He said it at Bad 25 Q&A in 2012. I hope that doesn't happen. HIStory Tour shouldn't be shown in cinemas. It has too much lip-syncing so it wouldn't make Michael look good. Maybe a Blu-ray/dvd release.

The TII rehearsal movie was successful, so there's no reason why a HWT full concert in HD with surround sound and lots of camera angles, wouldn't also be successful. Personally, I don't care as much about lip-synch, as I do about seeing Michael perform, dance, interact/connect with the audience, etc. and give us all of himself...his work and his love.

IF it happened, I doubt it would be a theatre release.....it would probably go to netflix, as has been suggested.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the History tour should fade into obscurity and never be given the spotlight for even a moment.

I disagree....big time. Michael cared about the tour and he put his heart and soul into it, as he did with all of his concert tours. I think his fans should, at the very least, honour it and value it, purely because it IS a part of HIS story....despite what their own personal (nit-picking) problems are, with it. It was Michael's last big world tour and whether it was perfect or not, in the eyes of some fans, doesn't matter, in my opinion. It's a time capsule....it's a part of who Michael was and how he was at the time. He was almost forty....I, for one, did not expect him to be the same as he was, in his late twenties/early thirties.

Also, just because Germany was mentioned, it doesn't mean that a possible concert release will be the one from Munich. As we all know, he performed in Bremen, Cologne, Kiel and Gelsenkirchen....so there are four other possibilities.

The TII rehearsal movie was successful, so there's no reason why a HWT full concert in HD with surround sound and lots of camera angles, wouldn't also be successful. Personally, I don't care as much about lip-synch, as I do about seeing Michael perform, dance, interact/connect with the audience, etc. and give us all of himself...his work and his love.

IF it happened, I doubt it would be a theatre release.....it would probably go to netflix, as has been suggested.

I disagree....big time. Michael cared about the tour and he put his heart and soul into it, as he did with all of his concert tours. I think his fans should, at the very least, honour it and value it, purely because it IS a part of HIS story....despite what their own personal (nit-picking) problems are, with it. It was Michael's last big world tour and whether it was perfect or not, in the eyes of some fans, doesn't matter, in my opinion. It's a time capsule....it's a part of who Michael was and how he was at the time. He was almost forty....I, for one, did not expect him to be the same as he was, in his late twenties/early thirties.

Also, just because Germany was mentioned, it doesn't mean that a possible concert release will be the one from Munich. As we all know, he performed in Bremen, Cologne, Kiel and Gelsenkirchen....so there are four other possibilities.

I feel like people on here really underestimate how badly lip syncing is looked upon nowadays. People would trash MJ if they put that in cinemas. Especially with how obvious the lip syncing is. I also don't think people are nitpicking, it is the worst of his available tours. His dancing is sluggish and he looks every uninterested a lot of the time imo. Just because it's in HD doesn't mean it needs to be released. The estate should be showing MJ at his best, not showing this just because it is in HD.

Last edited:

Do you think 'lots of camera angles' is a reason why the general public would be attracted to a concert movie? This Is It was released at a time when Michael Jackson nostalgia was it it's highest and connected with a very recent, and still active at that time, major worldwide news story. Comparing these two is very difficult at best.

It sits uncomfortably with me when you talk about a singer giving their 'all' on stage when they're really only pretending. Perhaps you mean all Michael had left.

Not this again...

By HIStory Tour in cinemas I hope that's secret code for BAD Tour 3rd March 1988 in cinemas

This was mentioned in 2012, and nothing as come of it since. Hopefully this means the estate came to their senses and released that a HIStory Tour release in theatres would be a horrible idea.

This Is It was released in 2009 so many people were interested and it was unseen footage. The HIStory Tour concert they would release is already available. It would be the Munich concert most likely. Some fans might not care about the lip-syncing but the general public would. Reviews wouldn't be nice if they notice it. Cinema release might not be a good idea.

Munich is the only one that we know is in HD. I hope there are more but its very likely that it is the only one.

Last edited:
I feel like people on here really underestimate how badly lip syncing is looked upon nowadays.

Are you saying that every other entertainer doesn't do it? Now....in 2018?

Do you think 'lots of camera angles' is a reason why the general public would be attracted to a concert movie?

I only mentioned camera angles, because it was listed by John Branca as one of the positives. Of course it wouldn't be the reason why an audience would be attracted to a concert movie. The main reason would be Michael.

It sits uncomfortably with me when you talk about a singer giving their "all' on stage when they're really only pretending. Perhaps you mean all Michael had left.

Sure. Maybe I do mean all he had left. Isn't it sad, though, when fans feel so entitled, that they're not happy with all he had left? Knowing what he had been through, what he was still going through and still had coming, I think we should be grateful that he gave us anything at all. There's a beautiful vulnerability and a two-way gratitude in the HIStory concerts that is palpable and I think it would have been there in TII, as well.

Honestly I do not think other than hardcore MJ fans would pay lots of money to see a MJ concert in cinema.

And honestly - I don't really think it matters if it's BAD, Dangerous or HIStory tour...

Only fans would pay to see those concerts in cinema I think. - I know I would pay to see any MJ concert on the big screen with great sound.
I would prefer a BAD concert since I like live singing the most. To see him dance and mime is not really interesting.

Are you saying that every other entertainer doesn't do it? Now....in 2018?

I only mentioned camera angles, because it was listed by John Branca as one of the positives. Of course it wouldn't be the reason why an audience would be attracted to a concert movie. The main reason would be Michael.

Sure. Maybe I do mean all he had left. Isn't it sad, though, when fans feel so entitled, that they're not happy with all he had left? Knowing what he had been through, what he was still going through and still had coming, I think we should be grateful that he gave us anything at all. There's a beautiful vulnerability and a two-way gratitude in the HIStory concerts that is palpable and I think it would have been there in TII, as well.

I don't think it's entitled to not want the estate to release a tour in which Michael is clearly not on top form or enjoying himself for that matter.

If Michael were so ashamed of the history tour he wouldn't have agreed for it to be released on telivision more so than any other tour..

I'm worried that people would say that maybe Michael wasn't that good if they released HIStory Tour in cinemas. Only WBSS and J5 Medley are live. Reviews wouldn't be nice to read. I would be ok with BD/DVD release but I would pick any other tour for cinema release.

I think the difficulty in that though is how much substance can you sacrifice and still honestly deliver a quality product?

It's not entitled to expect a singer to sing, particularly when they advertise their show as being live and then ask for your hard earned cash.

Back