Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A new musical inspired by the life of Michael Jackson is heading to Broadway!

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,470 Posts

Default Re: A new musical inspired by the life of Michael Jackson is heading to Broadway!

Quote Originally Posted by MJTruth View Post
    It's odd.

What is it about the Dangerous tour rehearsals they find interesting? What do they think the general audience would find interesting?
    Sure, This Is It did well in cinemas but that was in the wake of MJ's death and morbid curiosity took over.

I can see why many people may be interested in the actual videos of Dangerous tour rehearsal at Neverland if they find them online, but to watch a cast pretend to rehearse? Strange.

This was not a "comeback" tour.
    It was by no means his first world tour.
    It has nothing to do with the major success of his biggest albums, Thriller and BAD - they would be the obvious subjects to cover, so I'm actually I'm glad they're moving away from those.
    There was no new album to release. It was already out.
    There were no allegations at that point, and I guess the MJ Estate will avoid them at all costs anyway.

I know I must be missing something here so I'll keep an open mind, but what events could be of interest?? WHAT is the hook they'll use to sell the idea to audiences??? On the face of it, the Dangerous Tour is not an obvious selling point.

also, if they're only going to tackle rehearsals, does that mean they're going to keep starting and stopping performances, with faltering vocals and choreography? As would happen in real rehearsals? Smoothly running faultlessly from one complete song to another wouldn't be very realistic.
    Yeah, but I'm personally glad they've given this a different perspective rather than 'this guy made Thriller so here's the Thriller story'. I've got no idea how they'll pull this off, and to be honest it could be a complete failure but it might end up being brilliant.

Maybe they'll dive into the story of the songs and MJ trying to decide what songs to include?

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,686 Times in 1,450 Posts

Default Re: A new musical inspired by the life of Michael Jackson is heading to Broadway!

Quote Originally Posted by MJTruth View Post
    It's odd.

What is it about the Dangerous tour rehearsals they find interesting? What do they think the general audience would find interesting?
    Sure, This Is It did well in cinemas but that was in the wake of MJ's death and morbid curiosity took over.

I can see why many people may be interested in the actual videos of Dangerous tour rehearsal at Neverland if they find them online, but to watch a cast pretend to rehearse? Strange.

This was not a "comeback" tour.
    It was by no means his first world tour.
    It has nothing to do with the major success of his biggest albums, Thriller and BAD - they would be the obvious subjects to cover, so I'm actually I'm glad they're moving away from those.
    There was no new album to release. It was already out.
    There were no allegations at that point, and I guess the MJ Estate will avoid them at all costs anyway.

I know I must be missing something here so I'll keep an open mind, but what events could be of interest?? WHAT is the hook they'll use to sell the idea to audiences??? On the face of it, the Dangerous Tour is not an obvious selling point.

also, if they're only going to tackle rehearsals, does that mean they're going to keep starting and stopping performances, with faltering vocals and choreography? As would happen in real rehearsals? Smoothly running faultlessly from one complete song to another wouldn't be very realistic.
    Bohemian Rhapsody makes Live Aid to be their long awaited live return after years, when in reality their highly successful Works World Tour had ended just over a year before. Drama sells, it seems.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No force of nature can break your will to self motivate.

Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,493 Times in 3,405 Posts

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...-broadway-2020

The Michael Jackson estate and Columbia Live Stage revealed more information on the new musical inspired by the life of Michael Jackson on Wednesday (Jan. 23).

The previously confirmed production will be titled Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough and is currently in development. Two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Lynn Nottage will create the book, while Tony Award winner Christopher Wheeldon will direct and choreograph.

The musical will premiere in Chicago with its first performance on Oct. 29 at the James M. Nederlander Theatre and run through Dec. 1. Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough is set to make its Broadway debut in 2020.

Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,212 Times in 1,297 Posts

Im sooooo excited bout this and i dont even live in chiago

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 8701girl For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,837 Times in 3,029 Posts

They had said it would center around a pivotal moment in Michael's life, and I had hoped it would be the time when he didn't get the best album nomination for Off the wall, and went on to make Thriller.
    However I saw another press release that this is going to be during the dangerous rehearsals and the allegations hit. So it seems the estate is going there. I'm honestly very surprised.
    Maybe this is their way to tell Michael's side of the story.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

https://www.broadwayworld.com/articl...-2020-20190214

Breaking: Michael Jackson DON'T STOP 'TIL YOU GET ENOUGH Cancels Chicago Premiere, Opens Cold on Broadway Summer 2020

The new musical Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough will now have its world premiere on Broadway when it opens in summer of next year. Its previously announced pre-Broadway engagement in Chicago has been cancelled.

Producers and the Michael Jackson estate cite the reason for cancellation as scheduling difficulties brought about by the recent Actors Equity strike, but according to The New York Times, the recent documentary "Leaving Neverland" may have influenced the decision. The documentary, which premiered at Sundance last month, examines molestation claims made against Jackson by two men who denied the allegations at trial but then sued the estate following Jackson's death.

The new musical Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough will feature a book by two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Lynn Nottage and a score made up of some of the best-loved, top-selling songs in recording history. Tony Award winner Christopher Wheeldon will direct and choreograph.

The producers also announced that the musical's First National Tour will premiere in Chicago.

A developmental work session will take place in New York City this fall.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paris78 View Post
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/articl...-2020-20190214

Breaking: Michael Jackson DON'T STOP 'TIL YOU GET ENOUGH Cancels Chicago Premiere, Opens Cold on Broadway Summer 2020

The new musical Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough will now have its world premiere on Broadway when it opens in summer of next year. Its previously announced pre-Broadway engagement in Chicago has been cancelled.

Producers and the Michael Jackson estate cite the reason for cancellation as scheduling difficulties brought about by the recent Actors Equity strike, but according to The New York Times, the recent documentary "Leaving Neverland" may have influenced the decision. The documentary, which premiered at Sundance last month, examines molestation claims made against Jackson by two men who denied the allegations at trial but then sued the estate following Jackson's death.

The new musical Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough will feature a book by two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Lynn Nottage and a score made up of some of the best-loved, top-selling songs in recording history. Tony Award winner Christopher Wheeldon will direct and choreograph.

The producers also announced that the musical's First National Tour will premiere in Chicago.

A developmental work session will take place in New York City this fall.
    Ah nuts....

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
    Ah nuts....

The media is full of shit again. Someone at the New York Times speculates that it MAY have something to do with the documentary and then it's reported as historical fact.

This has nothing to do with the mockumentary but the strike.

The Estate responded to me

As indicated in the news reporting on this, this is a direct effect of the Actor’s Equity strike. Since it’s very unusual to open directly on Broadway, the decision is actually evidence in the confidence in the shows.

Best,
    Alicia

Thanks, but how is the decision to cancel evidence in the confidence in the show?

Hi:
    Because it is very unusual for a show to open on Broadway. They believe it will do very well without the leadup in Chicago.

Alicia

MJOnline
    The Official Online Team of The Michael Jackson Estate™

Again, the decision to open on Broadway is COMPLETELY unrelated to the documentary.

MJOnline

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redfrog For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redfrog View Post
    The media is full of shit again. Someone at the New York Times speculates that it MAY have something to do with the documentary and then it's reported as historical fact.

This has nothing to do with the mockumentary but the strike.

The Estate responded to me

As indicated in the news reporting on this, this is a direct effect of the Actor’s Equity strike. Since it’s very unusual to open directly on Broadway, the decision is actually evidence in the confidence in the shows.

Best,
    Alicia

Thanks, but how is the decision to cancel evidence in the confidence in the show?

Hi:
    Because it is very unusual for a show to open on Broadway. They believe it will do very well without the leadup in Chicago.

Alicia

MJOnline

Again, the decision to open on Broadway is COMPLETELY unrelated to the documentary.

MJOnline
    Thanks for that.

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,049 Posts

It is best to bring it out this fall. I would not want it out right now no matter what the reason. let us knock these lying fools off first and proved their nonense of lies and then we get back to business.
    Mike's PYT

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I can't wait to see this! I guess we will have to wait until 2020.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to travis3000 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
    I can't wait to see this! I guess we will have to wait until 2020.
    I am so glad that this show will delay the premiere. It did NOT need to be released now. The racist, trash media would have never focused on the show. They would have focused on the bull@#$*, as they have always done when it comes to Michael.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to somewhereinthedark For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,923 Times in 1,380 Posts

I'm seeing this comment which is apparently from the writer of the musical. If true, I don't know who they expect would actually go to see this musical. Fans certainly would not go, and I doubt 'non-fans' would spend money on it. Sounds like they need a new writer.....

Baz Bamigboye@BazBam

.⁦@PulitzerPrizes⁩ winning ⁦@Lynnbrooklyn⁩ who is writing book for ⁦official ⁦@michaeljackson⁩ musical ⁦@dontstoponbway⁩ said she believed abuse accusers Robson&Safechuck & wants show to reflect someone who was “ a genius ,but ...immensely flawed.”

Adding this from the LN thread with thanks to Elusive Moonwalker:

From Lynn Nottage's Wikipedia page:

"Over the years, she has developed original projects for HBO, Sidney Kimmel Entertainment, Showtime, This is That, and Harpo Productions.[44]"
    and from MJ Poetry Fan:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/amp/c....ntary-20190418

Lynn Nottage Discusses Michael Jackson Depiction In Upcoming Bio-Musical Following HBO Documentary

Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Lynn Nottage is currently at work developing the book of a stage musical based on the life and career of music legend Michael Jackson.

Following the premiere of the HBO documentary Leaving Neverland earlier this year, in which two men allege sexual abuse at the hands of Jackson, some questions arose as to how the musical would approach the history of pedophilia and sexual abuse allegations brought against the singer.

Baz Bamigboye of The Daily Mail is now reporting that Nottage, an affirmed believer of Jackson's accusers, Wade Robson and James Safechuck, has confirmed that she is continuing work on the show, with the hopes of telling the story of a person who was "a genius but...immensely flawed."

The Michael Jackson Estate and Columbia Live Stage announced that they are developing a stage musical inspired by the life of "The King of Pop" last summer.

Jackson was one of the most popular entertainers in the world, and was the best-selling music artist during the year of his death. Jackson's contributions to music, dance, and fashion along with his publicized personal life made him a global figure in popular culture for over four decades.

The eighth child of the Jackson family, Michael made his professional debut in 1964 with his elder brothers Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, and Marlon as a member of the Jackson 5. He began his solo career in 1971 while at Motown Records.
    In the early 1980s, Jackson became a dominant figure in popular music. His music videos, including those of "Beat It", "Billie Jean", and "Thriller" from his 1982 album Thriller, are credited with breaking racial barriers and transforming the medium into an art form and promotional tool. The popularity of these videos helped bring the television channel MTV to fame. Jackson's 1987 album Bad spawned the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", "Bad", "The Way You Make Me Feel", "Man in the Mirror", and "Dirty Diana", becoming the first album to have five number-one singles in the nation. He continued to innovate with videos such as "Black or White" and "Scream" throughout the 1990s, and forged a reputation as a touring solo artist.

Through stage and video performances, Jackson popularized a number of complicated dance techniques, such as the robot and the moonwalk, to which he gave the name. His distinctive sound and style has influenced numerous artists of various music genres.
    Last edited by myosotis; 19-04-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]