MJ's Tomb in Forest Lawn

peteymj

Proud Member
Has anyone visited Michael's tomb inside The Great Mausoleum at Forest Lawn? I visited his tomb recently, directly approaching it. It was one of the greatest/saddest feelings I experienced. It was just me and Michael. I said a prayer in front of his tomb and left. I know that security is very strict..supposedly. If you are wondering how I did it, i'll just say that it was by accident and totally unplanned...and luck.

A couple weeks later (which was last night), I find myself walking next to Paris Jackson in the streets of Hollywood.

In June 25 2012, I saw Joe Jackson outside of the Carolwood house where MJ passed away.

I feel very connected with MJ lately. I've always felt a connection, but that connection has intensifed the last month or so.

I just want to know if other fans have had a chance to visit the tomb from the inside and I also wanted to share my experience.

Peter

Re: MJ's tomb in Forest Lawn

Peter,
Interesting. A couple of questions: was the tomb marked (i.e. did it have a name on it, etc.)? Was there other spaces located near it for other family members as has been reported?
Thanks for sharing.
~Shawn

:D

Could've walked in but was too slow deciding I should've. People were leaving the building.
A woman that worked there closed the door on me seconds later.
Shouldve said I forgot a jacket or something.

I walked up to the tomb back in 2014 the day after the anniversary that year. It was an extremely emotional and surreal experience. Just to literally be up at those doors with Michael being only inches away is just a very sobering experience. I really hope to visit one more time next year just so I can get the experience of meeting fans up there on the anniversary since I didn't get to meet any the last time I went. The only fan I know of whose been inside Michael's masoleum is Debbie Jackson from Auckland,New Zealand. But it's fair for her because she legally changed her last name to Jackson and has dedicated over forty plus years of her life being a MJ fan and she's met every Jackson family member and was an ambassador for Michael's 40th birthday in L.A.

Can I ask how you managed to walk up to thee tomb passed the 'strict security'?
I also felt the same

I also felt the same

The day I was there no security was present up at the tomb (this was June 26th the day after the anniversary that year). I was able to walk up and no employees of Forest Lawn yelled at me to go away. I'm pretty sure you're able to walk up to the tomb and look in the tomb,but I'm fairly positive security would have a fit if you wanted to go inside the tomb.
Side note: a really touching thing I saw when I was there was a letter from an eight year old little boy who placed the letter with a granola bar behind a picture of young Michael next to the tomb and my mom and I read the letter and cried because it was so touching to see how much Michael has impacted so many generations of people,young and old.

I walked up to the tomb back in 2014 the day after the anniversary that year. It was an extremely emotional and surreal experience. Just to literally be up at those doors with Michael being only inches away is just a very sobering experience. I really hope to visit one more time next year just so I can get the experience of meeting fans up there on the anniversary since I didn't get to meet any the last time I went.

Michael's actual tomb is not "inches away" from the doors to Holly Terrace - it's quite some way down a long hallway and is at the far end of the room, when looking in through the glass panels in the doors.

The day I was there no security was present up at the tomb (this was June 26th the day after the anniversary that year). I was able to walk up and no employees of Forest Lawn yelled at me to go away. I'm pretty sure you're able to walk up to the tomb and look in the tomb,but I'm fairly positive security would have a fit if you wanted to go inside the tomb.

You're right, it's usually very quiet and security people are happy to leave fans in peace. The doors to Holly Terrace are kept locked, as far as I know and are opened by staff when they take someone into the building (I've been there when that has happened). Staff taking flower arrangements inside, also use keys to unlock the door.

I also felt the same

I think very few people are allowed inside Holly Terrace by the staff - they need to be family members of those interred there, or visitors who have been named by the families.

I think very few people are allowed inside Holly Terrace by the staff - they need to be family members of those interred there, or visitors who have been named by the families.

Exctly. Having been to Forest Lawn multiple times and talked and got to know the security team at Holly Terrace, I find it very disresptful for fans to sneak in. Every fan that sneaks in, causes damage to the fan community and in time errodes the trust that the Forest Lawn staff have in us.

Some fans might think it not a bit deal, to sneak in, as its their one and only time to be at Forest Lawn. But for those who us who go regularly and are known by the staff, you damage our relationship with the security team.

The security team do an amazing job and on days like June 25 are so kind and helpful to us. They could be alot more strict with us, they have every right not to allow us to place all the fan tributes on the grass, they have every right to stop us even going up on the patio and to the actual door. They could stop The One Rose For Michael team from placing all the roses every year.

As it was when Michael was alive, so it is in death. Some fans have no respect for Michael, no respect for the rules set in place and are selfish and just take take take without caring or understanding the repercussions of their actions.

As it was when Michael was alive, so it is in death. Some fans have no respect for Michael, no respect for the rules set in place and are selfish and just take take take without caring or understanding the repercussions of their actions.
I don't think it is disrespectful towards Michael. It is breaking the rules yes.

Michael's actual tomb is not "inches away" from the doors to Holly Terrace - it's quite some way down a long hallway and is at the far end of the room, when looking in through the glass panels in the doors.

Well in hindsight he is right behind the doors of Holly Terrace so either way it's still an emotional experience no matter how you slice it.
Me at a flower arrangement right next to Holly Terrace (I swore I had a picture of me in front of Holly Terrace but idk where it went)
10368830_385975934867923_2255984571609076189_o.jpg

Well in hindsight he is right behind the doors of Holly Terrace so either way it's still an emotional experience no matter how you slice it.
Me at a flower arrangement right next to Holly Terrace (I swore I had a picture of me in front of Holly Terrace but idk where it went)
10368830_385975934867923_2255984571609076189_o.jpg

That is super cool!

I find it very disrespectful for fans to sneak in. Every fan that sneaks in, causes damage to the fan community and in time erodes the trust that the Forest Lawn staff have in us.

Some fans might think it not a bit deal, to sneak in, as its their one and only time to be at Forest Lawn, but for those who us who go regularly and are known by the staff, you damage our relationship with the security team.

The security team do an amazing job and on days like June 25 are so kind and helpful to us. They could be alot more strict with us, they have every right not to allow us to place all the fan tributes on the grass, they have every right to stop us even going up on the patio and to the actual door. They could stop The One Rose For Michael team from placing all the roses every year.

I agree. I think it's wrong for fans to sneak in, or to do anything subversive, at all, at Forest Lawn. It is not only Michael's resting place, but it's a resting place for thousands of others. There needs to be decorum there and respect for the rules, otherwise there may come a time when there will be many more restrictions placed upon MJ fans who visit. That would be very sad and unfortunate.

I know Forest Lawn has many public access areas, and just as many private ones that do not allow public access-Michael's in Holly Terrace is, of course, restricted, but so are ones out in the open. I noticed that Joseph is buried in The Garden of Honor, which does not allow public access.

I hope Forest Lawn will allow the One Rose group access long enough to leave a few roses for Joseph next year.

I hope Forest Lawn will allow the One Rose group access long enough to leave a few roses for Joseph next year.

I'd hope that for the fans who donated their hard-earned cash it was made clear where their roses were going.

Took this when you could still peak through the blacked out doors. I think those doors are removed now?
Untitled-1.jpg

I'd hope that for the fans who donated their hard-earned cash it was made clear where their roses were going.
It's very clear-that's the reason I've been doing it since the 2nd year (I just watched the first year). They post pictures and videos on their Facebook page and that page is actually active 365 days a year.

ALL the roses go to Michael and they sit there on display for two days-then, they break them down and distribute them to charities, hospitals, elderly living centers. They also leave some at Neverland, Hayvenhurst, his Hollywood star, and put roses on the graves of Walt Disney, Dennis Tompkins, Elizabeth Taylor, etc. Next year, hopefully, they can put a few on Joseph's grave, also.
It's a lovely way to distribute the roses that would otherwise be thrown away by Forest Lawn and brings a lot of happiness to the people receiving them.

Of course. It's made clear, every year, on a number of social media platforms.
The roses cost less than a cup of coffee, each, and are delivered to Holly Terrace with love.

There's a thread, here, with lots of lovely photographs.

Took this when you could still peak through the blacked out doors. I think those doors are removed now?
Untitled-1.jpg

Removed?? No, the doors are still there, but they are blacked out, so that no one can see inside.

Dgn7cRzUYAU37KN.jpg:large

Removed?? No, the doors are still there, but they are blacked out, so that no one can see inside.

Dgn7cRzUYAU37KN.jpg:large

Ah my bad.
Last timr I was there was 2011. Saw some pictures with a new white part on it and thought it was where the doors where. But now I see its to the right of the doors:
2016-7-years-since-passing.jpg

Ah my bad.
Last time I was there was 2011. Saw some pictures with a new white part on it and thought it was where the doors where. But now I see its to the right of the doors.

Yes, there are two sections on the walls that have those white tiles and frieze sculptures. The improvements were made in 2015 or 2016. A big tree was removed from close to one of the walls to the right of the alcove/seating area, because it was cracking the structure. The decorative tiles were placed on the wall to cover the damage and improve the aesthetics.

I visited forest lawn idk bow many years ago.. since I wasnt familiar with the lay out I got a bit confused of where i am to where Michael really was. How sure are we that where we think Michael is, that its THE spot?

I visited forest lawn idk bow many years ago.. since I wasnt familiar with the lay out I got a bit confused of where i am to where Michael really was. How sure are we that where we think Michael is, that its THE spot?
It was confirmed during the September 2009 private funeral service that was where he was buried. Since the nosey ass media wanted to know as well,they documented it across the board and seemingly confirmed his final resting place to be at Holly Terrace.

Yes, there are two sections on the walls that have those white tiles and frieze sculptures. The improvements were made in 2015 or 2016. A big tree was removed from close to one of the walls to the right of the alcove/seating area, because it was cracking the structure. The decorative tiles were placed on the wall to cover the damage and improve the aesthetics.
Didn't they add some additional crypts there on the outside wall, as well? I thought I saw pix of them at the time they were rebuilding that wall.
Also, that same year, someone at Forest Lawn had a table set up selling burial spots.

Hi
This is the original poster. I was actually wondering if anyone else went directly up to MJs tomb. I don’t mean from the outside of the building but inside of the building where his tomb is.
I took some photos. I know the rules are against this, but I felt it was a once in lifetime...it was a beautiful, bittersweet moment.

On a side note, for anyone has been inside of the great maesoleum, did anyone else hear the soft piano music playing?

Didn't they add some additional crypts there on the outside wall, as well? I thought I saw pix of them at the time they were rebuilding that wall.

Someone else might be able to provide a better answer, but I don't believe there are any additional crypts on the outside.

peteymj;4226123 said:
This is the original poster. I was actually wondering if anyone else went directly up to MJs tomb. I don’t mean from the outside of the building but inside of the building where his tomb is.
I took some photos. I know the rules are against this, but I felt it was a once in lifetime...it was a beautiful, bittersweet moment.

On a side note, for anyone has been inside of the great maesoleum, did anyone else hear the soft piano music playing?

This thread isn't going to last long, if people start talking about their blatant disrespect for the rules, their lack of regard for the wishes of Michael's family, or for the peace and privacy of all who have been laid to rest at Glendale. I'm not sure that I even believe that you went inside of Holly Terrace and took photos, without being named on the visitor list...considering the level of security that is in place there; but if you did, I personally think you should be ashamed of yourself. Please stop.

Administration Announcement: Please keep discussion in this thread general and refrain completely from making comments about breaking the rules at Forest Lawn.....which we feel is highly inappropriate for a site dedicated to Michael Jackson. Thank you all.

I was taken inside by someone on the list who made sure it was okay. I would never sneak in like many others may have done. :( I didn´t take any pictures either.

Back