View Poll Results: Have We Lost The Real Michael?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 59.09%
  • No

9 40.91%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have We Lost The Real Michael?

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,518 Times in 784 Posts

Default Re: Have We Lost The Real Michael?

I remember very good that it indeed was different before MJ was gone.
    I am still proud to be one of those who were here and in other online-communities years before MJ passed away.

Back then it definitely was not easy sometimes to admit you are an MJ fan. Especially around 2003-2008. I always had to defend MJ in school and myself for being a fan. I remember very well how the press changed everything suddenly from "he is a ***** and a no-one" to "he is the best, we always loved him" in 2009 after his death. That was a moment were i totally saw how you cannot trust media.
    Last edited by kai; 14-07-2018 at 07:42 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kai For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

back in after the ahem, software incident, thanks everyone for the great responses.

Original MJJF Member

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonstreet For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Social media change,and it's not just MJ but MANY fan forums.
    I've witnessed online attacks on members of a band,from so called fans of the band.Administrators subject to vile and disgusting personal attacks.
    A lot goes on,and although the outside world view on MJ is slightly Improved,I believe inside fan forums,the shift changes from criticism against media,non fans etc,to criticism from fan to fan.

I still see it here,now,this forum..not so much.attacking in any way,but more patronising,and belittling people,that's almost it's like a competition in the best knowledge stakes.
    How can people discover the "real Michael",and learn and be more knowledgeable,if certain traits continue and continue to exist.
    Reluctance from me,I'm afraid,and reluctant to ask in that I visit here,just read and move on.

Sad,but I believe it can and will change

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,054 Times in 1,908 Posts

I'll say this, its becomes a hard balancing act trying to be authentic while not crossing lines.. we have fans from all spectrums, fans that are constantly negative and others who can be overly kiss ass to Michael. That will create tension.. for realist it is hard to see fans that cant separate MJ the figure Michael publicized from Michael the person.. and those who believe so strongly in what Michael preached that realist seem like pessimists.

The fact is Michael was a special man, but still a man..

Same goes with the family, there are people that are Jackson fans and those who are really just Michael fans seem to never give Jackson fans room to love whatever member of the family they want.. those fans also pride themselves on MJ knowlege and love stating facts on why to hate on them.. but those same fans get so caught up on what's on paper as facts they forget that humans are much more complicated than a fact sheet..

Documents cant measure love, intentions, the story in between the lines.. but stating those facts def make a person feel smart for a moment doesn't it?

We need to find a common ground that we can all share our thoughts and opinions and feel safe doing so.. I personally am a huge MJ fan, I have respect for the jacksons as a whole for various reasons but niether the family nor Michael are perfect and I have opinions on all of it haha.. same goes with the estate! Theres alot I hold in not to seem disrespectful but at the same time o end up doing alot of defending of those who cant defend themselves.. I guess that's me trying to find the balance on my own.
    **He lives forever within us**

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

It was extremely difficult to be a Michael Jackson fan from 1994-2009, and especially from around 1998 onward. I never stopped being a fan, but I was judged. People that are just discovering his music now, or post 2009, don't understand what it was like, and I don't think they ever will. And the old fans, the ones who lived through that, can't really relate to the people who didn't.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that the music, all of the music, Michael left us is wonderful. ♥
    Last edited by ShipOfFools; 17-07-2018 at 07:03 AM.

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ShipOfFools For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Admitting you were an MJ fan was opening yourself up to being picked on.. and for those of us that were in school post 93 allegations until the 2003-2005 case.
    It was really hard, there were a couple years in Jr high that I didnt even talk about Michael much at all in public.. I wish i were braver at the time.. I was just already having a hard time fitting in and finding my place.

That struggle was real!
    Last edited by KOPV; 17-07-2018 at 09:48 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    Admitting you were an MJ fan was opening yourself up to being picked on.. and for those of us that were in school post 93 allegations until the 2003-2005 case.
    It was really hard, there were a couple years in Jr high that I didnt even tall about Michael much at all in public.. I wish i were braver at the time.. I was just already having a hard time fitting in and finding my place.

That struggle was real!
    I didn't really get into MJ until after he died but even then in school there was definitely a "you're weird if you like MJ" thing going on.

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 410
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

I guess I was lucky, I was openly a massive fan in high school from 2002-2007. I even openly impersonated him and people all saw videos of me doing it and I literally never got any grief as far as I remember.....it depends on the kind of people you are around, I have had bad experiences as a fan but it wasnít really till the last few years long after he had died.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L.T.D For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

It was definitely hard being a fan through those times, the media and negitive press was crazy, I gotta say that is amazing that Michael's talent transcended that and he continued to reach new audiences and inspired singers and dancers, 1 million tickets sold for This Is It said it all for me
    Long Live The King

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus7 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L.T.D View Post
    I guess I was lucky, I was openly a massive fan in high school from 2002-2007. I even openly impersonated him and people all saw videos of me doing it and I literally never got any grief as far as I remember.....it depends on the kind of people you are around, I have had bad experiences as a fan but it wasn’t really till the last few years long after he had died.
    Yeah, by the 00s the hate and various jokes were worn out.. It died out for sure! It was all old by that time. Plus he had new music that pushed at least SOME positivity.

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree Friends

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 653 Posts

You have to remember Michael was the biggest star on the planet and the bigger you are the more people may have something to say. but in truth, people who attack you really like MJ but want to be an A$$ because you like him. I always say lf Michael walk through the door to those you know who made rude remarks about him, see who would have been the FIRST up in his face, those so called haters going on how much they love him while you standing back in amaze at how they are behaving now.
    Mike's PYT

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

A little off topic....

But all fanbases / fandoms have crazy (even lunatic) fans.

The problem is that, in the modern world with twitter (amongst other social platforms), they have a bigger voice.

MJ unfortunately has more haters then other artists.

Some of those people who keep attacking Paris (and her family) are not actually fans. But are probably those MJ haters who used to cyber bully her a few years ago.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krshna28 View Post
    A little off topic....

But all fanbases / fandoms have crazy (even lunatic) fans.

The problem is that, in the modern world with twitter (amongst other social platforms), they have a bigger voice.

MJ unfortunately has more haters then other artists.

Some of those people who keep attacking Paris (and her family) are not actually fans. But are probably those MJ haters who used to cyber bully her a few years ago.
    I would like to point out that "Crazy/Lunatic"can also include "well educated and obsessive".
    That is so obsessive that any views/opinions,different to their own,results in a sharp response,in its mildest form of reaction.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

As someone whoís been a fan since 01...I was really young back then so my memory isnít the greatest but things have definitely changed and I think thatís part of the reason why Iíve kind of drifted away. Iíve seen the Mike like thing also and it to bothers me. I remember seeing it when he was alive as well though. But it didnít seem so? Much? I mean there was definitely fans who were like... ya know....but thatís with anything.

I guess in someway it was inevitable but it was like he was the glue holding us all together. Now there is no glue...And itís all kind of fallen apart. While I miss how things used to be I understand that it will never be that way again. It would be nice though if things could be a little more... together I guess? But thereís also that gap between pre 09 fans and after. I think that might make it hard for some to relate? Plus changing times. I think even if Michael were still here things would also be different. So much in general has changed in that amount of time...

I think at least with some people we have Ďlostí him because of that gap. For them itís like they are outside looking in...but either way it was going to happen.

Iím just tired. Except for a few all the friends or acquaintances I made over the years have gone God only knows where...

I want to feel invested in things again, I miss that even if it was just forms and stuff but what can be done if everything and everyone is so divided? I wish it wasnít so but what can be done?

Sorry if Iím rambling.
    My Twitter

Remember, my child: Without innocence the cross is only iron, hope is only an illusion & Ocean Soul's nothing but a name...