J. Lo to receive michael jackson vanguard award at mtv vmas

ILoveHIStory

Proud Member
Jennifer Lopez may still be “Jenny from the Block,” but the global superstar is set to receive the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at the 2018 MTV Video Music Awards, airing live on MTV from Radio City Music Hall on Monday, August 20 at 9 p.m. ET/PT. Lopez revealed the news live on MTV with Sway Calloway.

In addition to receiving the honor, Lopez, who has sold over 80 million records worldwide and has three #1 albums to her name, will perform at this year’s live show for the first time since 2001. She is also nominated for two “VMAs” for her most recent single, “Dinero.”

Previous Vanguard winners include Michael Jackson himself, Madonna, Guns N’ Roses, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Kanye West, Rihanna, and P!nk.

In addition to music, Lopez’s films have grossed over $2.9 billion worldwide. After the simultaneous release of her second studio album “J.Lo” and “The Wedding Planner” co-starring Matthew McConaughey, she became the first woman to have a number one album and film in the same week.

Lopez’s production company Nuyorican Productions has been behind series like Freeform’s “The Fosters” and NBC’s “Shades of Blue,” which co-starred Lopez. The “Maid in Manhattan” actress also serves as an executive producer and a judge on dance competition show, “World of Dance.” Lopez will next produce and appear in STX’s “Second Act,” which is slated for release on Nov. 21.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/jennifer-lopez-vanguard-award-mtv-vmas-1202890490/

I know this sounds kind of populist/whatever, but half the MTV Video Awards should be named after Michael with what he contributed to that field. He practically defined modern music videos. And that should be recognized more today.

Yeah the are more deserving winners but J-Lo no doubt is able to attend and I'd bet she's about to promote something, whether it be music, a film, or a TV project. I'm not a fan of hers and have no idea what's she up to these days but there will be something. These things are usually arranged for a reason that's beneficial to both sides.

MJ himself was a good example. In his later years he wouldn't attend a ceremony unless he was winning something. That led to awards being made up just so they could secure his attendance. Remember that debacle around the award Britney presented him with?

Who cares, nobody watches these anymore.

There has to be a winner every year. Jlo is a super successful person, let her have it and someone will get it next year.. maybe the person youd want.. and you'll see other people saying how stupid it is lol.. year after year it happens

^ Well before I get stuck on a cross for using a general term lol... it has been given out annually for a while now.. It's our generations way of quick gratification and impatient behavior. We 'need' a main award to give out to promote the show and get viewers.

They've obviously have been playing the MJ award and seeing how it can be used for viewers, one or two years they even tried stripping the MJ name off of it and they brought it back. 'testing the waters'.. I personally am just thankful there is an MJ vanguard award!

And through the years the award has shifted a bit in meaning, Jlo has not been rocking great videos but she is everywhere right now. a judge on a dance show, her own live show, on another show and is a huge earner in the entertainment industry.. In my view, the award is really about successful people, not so much for music video innovators.

It is what it is.. no one cares about videos now days.. Except if it grabs a lot of attention - most recently 'This Is America'! vids that get that type of attention

I think Jennifer Lopez is a deserving winner. A lot of people don't realise just how much she has done and how diverse her talents are.
She is a strong independent woman in the entertainment industry and is certainly a force to be admired, regardless of whether we like her brand of music or not.

She has two Guinness World Records - one for the First #1 Remix Album on the Billboard 200 and one for the Highest Viewed Female Video of All Time ("On the Floor"). In her breakout year as a singer in 1999, she won Best New Artist and Best New Artist Video (Billboard); she won Video of the Year in 2001 (BET). Also Favourite Pop/Rock Female Artist 2003, Favourite Latin Artist 2007 and 2011. She won Summer Tour of the Year in 2012, an Icon Award in 2014 (Billboard) and 2015 (Entertainment Tonight), as well as Social Artist of the Year in 2017.

There are many, many other awards and achievements. All in all, she has been nominated for 341 awards and has won 120.

Capture_9.jpg

She is a singer, dancer, actress and producer. She has a long list of acting achievements to her name.....33 movies, 4 documentaries and 18 television shows (some as actor, some as producer, some as both) and has done the voice of a character in a video game in 2012. She made her acting debut at 16 and is now one of the highest paid actresses in Hollywood.

She has 55 videos in her videography, spanning the years from 1998 - 2018 (exactly 20 years)......this is probably the best reason for receiving the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award - her dedication to the art. She has made guest appearances in the videos of other artists and has released three video albums.

Other fun facts:

First woman honored with Billboard Icon Award
First Latina to be named People’s Most Beautiful Woman
"In Living Colors" first Latina fly girl
First actress and singer to have a #1 movie (The Wedding Planner) and #1 album (J.Lo) in the same week
First to launch a singing competition in Latin America
First Latina to be paid $1 million for a movie role
First Latina to top the charts with a remix
First to make "the booty" famous
Highest selling Latina celeb in HSN (Home Shopping Network) history
Her 2000 Grammy awards dress was the reason "Google Images" was created.

Jennifer-Lopez-Green-Versace-Grammy-Awards-Dress-2000.jpg

Well to clarify, my opinion has nothing to do with whether or not I like J-lo or whether she's a 'strong woman' haha

Back