Behind The Mask, M/V uploaded on MJVEVO channel

foralltimerishi

Proud Member
Country
India
Well this is really awckward and surprising too..... this video is uploaded few hours ago..... and I know this video is not new..... it is available on YT since 2010, I guess....... but the thing is..... what is happening... is it uploaded by sony???...... or is there any new plans around MJ.....

The old was was called Behind The Mask Project and it was just a collage of fan submitted dances.

This new one was a alternative video that was made but ultimately dropped in favour for the project one.

This is the only posthumous music video that looks like there was actual effort put into it. It's a disservice to it and everyone involved that it was scrapped in favor of that horrid fan compilation and then thrown without care on YouTube eight years later.

I just saw the M/V just now.

Glad to see that this video has MJ references in it and not just for the sake that there is an associated video to the song.

Off-topic: Why do they need to upload it to the Vevo and the other Michael Jackson Youtube page? Isn't it possible to just have one account so that the video views are not divided?

EDIT: They kept the VEVO upload and deleted the one from the MJ Official Artist Channel.

Last edited:
This video leaked a few years ago right? 🤔

Well this is really awckward and surprising too..... this video is uploaded few hours ago..... and I know this video is not new..... it is available on YT since 2010, I guess....... but the thing is..... what is happening... is it uploaded by sony???...... or is there any new plans around MJ.....

Why is it awkward? It's an official, Estate-produced video for "Behind the Mask", which was created in 2010. It wasn't released at that time, though.....perhaps because of the "Michael" album controversy and everything else that went with it.

So the video was only uploaded to Michael Jackson's official VEVO channel in recent days; I presume as part of a mission to get all of MJ's videos and short films uploaded in one place and available in full HD.

I hope it does well, because it's a great video. It already has around half a million views.

This video leaked a few years ago right?

It definitely was produced by the Michael Jackson Estate/MJJ Productions, as an official video for the song and came out as an alternate video version, in 2013, through Vimeo.

The old was was called Behind The Mask Project and it was just a collage of fan submitted dances.

This new one was a alternative video that was made but ultimately dropped in favour for the project one.

I actually think that this one may have been the first, official video - the copyright is marked on it as (C) 2010 MJJ Productions. I just think it was shelved until a later time, due to the controversy and the backlash over the Cascio songs. When this one was finally released online, it would have appeared as though it was a second, alternative version, because the "Behind the Mask" Fan Project had already happened in 2011. I'm theorising that the fan project might have been an attempt by the Estate to win back fan confidence through their involvement.....to get fans behind the release of "Behind the Mask" as a single, by including them in a visual representation of worldwide admiration, love and support for Michael and his music.

This is the only posthumous music video that looks like there was actual effort put into it. It's a disservice to it and everyone involved that it was scrapped in favor of that horrid fan compilation and then thrown without care on YouTube eight years later.

The fan project was released in June, 2011, in time for the second anniversary of MJ's passing and to me, it was a lovely, worldwide tribute. As far as I remember, it was always promoted as an official video for the song (not just some rubbish slapped together). In actual fact, a lot of work went into gathering appropriate submissions from fans for the video, through the Michael Jackson website.

I don't think it's fair to say that this other video was "scrapped" in favour of the fan compilation. In 2011, it was yet to be properly unveiled....but it did finally find its way onto YouTube in 2013 (I think through Vimeo). I have had it in my favourites since the 31st July of 2013, to be exact. It is marked, as follows:

Music video by Michael Jackson performing Behind The Mask.
(C) 2013 Optimum Productions. Second Version of the Official Video.

So, it's been on YouTube for five years already...that is a FACT. It's not being "thrown without care, onto Youtube" after eight years!! Right now, all that's happened, is that it has been put onto MJ's Official VEVO channel....this is gradually being done with all of his videos and short films, so that they're together in the one place, in full HD/widescreen.

It's great to think that some people who didn't know about this video at all can now enjoy it in the same way that I have done, for the last five years and it's wonderful to read so many excited and positive comments underneath it on YouTube as well.

For anyone interested in seeing the "other" official BTM video (the fan project).

I don't remember this video ever being officially released until now. I do remember it being leaked here, and everyone being confused at its existence, though.

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The new video is trending on Youtube at #10 &#128578; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MichaelJackson?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MichaelJackson</a> <a href="https://t.co/CQvuXiJSrI">https://t.co/CQvuXiJSrI</a></p>&mdash; The Best of Internet (@TheBestofMJJ) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheBestofMJJ/status/1025932534801215488?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">5. August 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Paris78;4227409 said:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The new video is trending on Youtube at #10 &#55357;&#56898; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MichaelJackson?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MichaelJackson</a> <a href="https://t.co/CQvuXiJSrI">https://t.co/CQvuXiJSrI</a></p>&#8212; The Best of Internet (@TheBestofMJJ) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheBestofMJJ/status/1025932534801215488?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">5. August 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yay!!

The fan project was released in June, 2011, in time for the second anniversary of MJ's passing and to me, it was a lovely, worldwide tribute. As far as I remember, it was always promoted as an official video for the song (not just some rubbish slapped together). In actual fact, a lot of work went into gathering appropriate submissions from fans for the video, through the Michael Jackson website.

I don't think it's fair to say that this other video was "scrapped" in favour of the fan compilation. In 2011, it was yet to be properly unveiled....but it did finally find its way onto YouTube in 2013 (I think through Vimeo). I have had it in my favourites since the 31st July of 2013, to be exact. It is marked, as follows:

Music video by Michael Jackson performing Behind The Mask.
(C) 2013 Optimum Productions. Second Version of the Official Video.

So, it's been on YouTube for five years already...that is a FACT. It's not being "thrown without care, onto Youtube" after eight years!! Right now, all that's happened, is that it has been put onto MJ's Official VEVO channel....this is gradually being done with all of his videos and short films, so that they're together in the one place, in full HD/widescreen.

The fan project was just painfully uninteresting to me. Sure, it took time to comb through all the submissions and line them up to fit with the song, but the end result is just dull. Compilations of MJ footage get tedious after one or two watches (think the videos to "Love Never Felt So Good"); compilations of fans miming one of his songs don't even make it that far.

This version of the "Behind the Mask" video leaked way back in 2013. It wasn't officially promoted or distributed by Optimum Productions. I remember the massive uproar with it. So yes, technically it's been available for the last five years. But the fact that they streamlined an uninteresting montage over a thought-out, well executed video is just nonsensical.

It certainly is fair to say the fan compilation was scrapped. Chucky Klapow, one of the dancers on the This Is It tour that was involved with this video, was surprised when the fan video came out ("This isn't what the video was supposed to look like") and continued referring to this leaked video as the "real" video in several tweets. Clearly the fan project was chosen in place of this video.

Chucky Klapow, one of the dancers on the This Is It tour that was involved with this video, was surprised when the fan video came out ("This isn't what the video was supposed to look like") and continued referring to this leaked video as the "real" video in several tweets. Clearly the fan project was chosen in place of this video.

Well, yes, of course it was meant to be the "real video" as its copyright states (C) 2010 MJJ Productions; but as I said, upthread, that didn't happen, for whatever reason and a decision was made to do the fan project as well. All due respect to Chucky, but he is just a dancer and not privy to the decision-making process at executive levels, with regard to what will or will not be done with videos. Even if the fan project came out of left field, surprised some people and left them feeling uninterested, I do appreciate the idea and the sentiments behind it and the attempts that were made, to show worldwide love and appreciate for Michael. Now that this more slick production is not only "around" online, but also officially available and on VEVO, it just means there's more for everyone to enjoy....in the same way that we have more to enjoy with the two videos for TDCAU.

Well, yes, of course it was meant to be the "real video" as its copyright states (C) 2010 MJJ Productions; but as I said, upthread, that didn't happen, for whatever reason and a decision was made to do the fan project as well. All due respect to Chucky, but he is just a dancer and not privy to the decision-making process at executive levels, with regard to what will or will not be done with videos. Even if the fan project came out of left field, surprised some people and left them feeling uninterested, I do appreciate the idea and the sentiments behind it and the attempts that were made, to show worldwide love and appreciate for Michael. Now that this more slick production is not only "around" online, but also officially available and on VEVO, it just means there's more for everyone to enjoy....in the same way that we have more to enjoy with the two videos for TDCAU.

Thank you, I agree.

I have always liked this video, much better than the fan video.. and coming from someone that's in the fan video, that says something lol!

This version in legitimately a good video, the best mj vid since a project Michael actually worked on..

One thing I always wished though, even thought of re editing the vid myself just to make it happen.. since all these people at the party have masks and stuff they could have made someone be the 'meastro'/host of the party in the video. Someone in a skull mask that at the end with the clip from ghosts when Michael lowers the mask and reveals himself.. that's the only thing to me that would take it from a well put together and thoughtful video to an epic MJ vid.

One thing I always wished though, even thought of re editing the vid myself just to make it happen.. since all these people at the party have masks and stuff they could have made someone be the 'meastro'/host of the party in the video. Someone in a skull mask that at the end with the clip from ghosts when Michael lowers the mask and reveals himself.. that's the only thing to me that would take it from a well put together and thoughtful video to an epic MJ vid.

Neat idea!

Legit the only video they have made that looks like it's had any original thought or creative drive put into it imo.

Just watched the video and I'm impressed. I think this is easily the best posthumous video they have done. I can tell that a lot of thought and creative process went into creating the video. A shame they choose to release that god awful fan video instead. Behind The Mask could have been a decent hit, if this video had many released instead. A shame really.

Creative imaging and content innovation get top marks!
Loved the montages especially the one at the end...
"Leave Me alone" footage
where he pulls off the rabbit mask...simply sublime!
Estate should re-consider this one

Truely a great video.

Hope MJ's official facebook and twitter will link to this.

Not many know Behind the Mask - which is a shame, cause it's really a great song.

Only I had hoped they would have released a version without the live stuff - both MJ's live screams and the fan screaming.

Great song and video. Michael's versions are better than the originals. This and Come Together.

Wait, i thought MJ was dead, how did he put the video on Youtube ?

The original cut of the video is better. Also The Jabbawockeez were removed. I assume for some contractual reason.

Back