Michael Jackson & Friends - What More Can I Give? (Live)

Looks like technology got worser and worser. Watch every bad tour you have and it ‘almost’ seem flawless on the technical part. Dangerous had some slips but fine as well. History was a mess with the vocals and everything. Don’t even get me started on the MJ & Friends concert.. and this performance is just sad..

mano;4227435 said:
Looks like technology got worser and worser. Watch every bad tour you have and it ‘almost’ seem flawless on the technical part. Dangerous had some slips but fine as well. History was a mess with the vocals and everything. Don’t even get me started on the MJ & Friends concert.. and this performance is just sad..

Yeah... I always thought that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael expected everyone to sing live but lip-synched?

Things like this for me are best forgotten about.

Michael expected everyone to sing live but lip-synched?

Things like this for me are best forgotten about.

Are you sure he's lip syncing?

Am I reading this right? Are we really giving crap about lip sync for MJ & friends considering the set list are songs he's known to lip sync in other concerts? Wouldn't that simply be expected since the opening act, dangerous, earth song, and you are not alone were usually lip synced?

The stuff he rehearsed that they did not actually perform like 'She's Out Of My Life' that is usually sang live was rehearsed live... shouldn't that count for something? Though he did not perform it infront of an audience

Am I reading this right? Are we really giving crap about lip sync for MJ & friends considering the set list are songs he's known to lip sync in other concerts? Wouldn't that simply be expected since the opening act, dangerous, earth song, and you are not alone were usually lip synced?

The stuff he rehearsed that they did not actually perform like 'She's Out Of My Life' that is usually sang live was rehearsed live... shouldn't that count for something? Though he did not perform it infront of an audience

Do you actually think this is from Mj & Friends concert? It's the "artist name".

Oh no.. I was speaking specifically about the fact he lip synced at mj & friends.. he did not perform that there.. there would have been at least one fan through the last 19 years that was there that would have mentioned it.. especially when they finally released the song.. no fan bragging "i heard this live 4 years ago" or whatever.. nope!!!

'what more can I give' was a thing in 1999.. in fact it's on the banner at mj & friends if I recall correctly but never performed until post 9/11

Double post... post was so good had to do it twice lol

Jk.. pretty average post

Oh no.. I was speaking specifically about the fact he lip synced at mj & friends.. he did not perform that there.. there would have been at least one fan through the last 19 years that was there that would have mentioned it.. especially when they finally released the song.. no fan bragging "i heard this live 4 years ago" or whatever.. nope!!!

'what more can I give' was a thing in 1999.. in fact it's on the banner at mj & friends if I recall correctly but never performed until post 9/11

Didn't know that. Never had the chance to see him live. And wasn't alive in 1999 so yeah ?

The initial plan was the song ‘What More Can I Give’ to premiere on-stage during the two ‘MJ & Friends’ concerts in 1999.

But, he never performed that song during those two concerts. Instead, he re-wrote some of the lyrics after the 9/11 attacks & the song took eventually a very different form overall.

The two ‘MJ & Friends’ concerts were generally a disappointment with a lot of negative things connected to them (MJ hurt his back on-stage in Munich, Sade refused to perform with him, Luciano Pavarotti refused to perform with him as well, a lot of mosquitoes in the air in Seoul that caused some problems to the performance, MJ’s usual lip-sync, extremely costly both of the two concerts, etc).

But that's the disappointing part that he always lip synced those songs. I can understand during the history tour but did he have to lip sync on award shows or on mini concerts like MJ & Friends where he only did like 4 songs? Surely he could have sung You Are Not Alone and the medley live.

I'm just realised this very interesting fact a few days ago. From his last three albums, Michael only ever did Gone Too Soon live and that was a one time performance only. Other songs such as Black or White, Heal The World, Stranger in Moscow, Earth Song, YANA, Will You Be There, Jam, History, You Rock My World, TDCAU, Dangerous etc were always lip synced and that's the disappointing part. We don't how these songs would have truly sounded live. That's why many MJ fans want the rehearsal footages to leak so badly.

^ I get that and alot of fans share that sentiment.. I try to be understanding to the fact we really dont know the health issues that could have prevented him singing live on a level that he felt confident in..

Just to mention though there are songs post bad that he did sing partially live the same way songs like MITM was.. earth song, YANA, and scream.. scream at least one location for sure was sung 100% live and Rock My World was sung fully live but edited when aired.

I do think he could have done more live though, even if it just sections of songs like some..

No lol.. recorded tracks dont skip sentances, miss notes, have mic problems, and add in voice cracks..

https://youtu.be/-O6y1OIpbi4

It is clearly album vocals when he starts singing. Around 1:05 he starts singing live. Then after 1:42 you hear album vocals again. I didn't watch the full video now but he doesn't sing a lot. It is live after 3:25. The part before it are album vocals.

Last edited:
KOPV;4227540 said:
No lol.. recorded tracks dont skip sentances, miss notes, have mic problems, and add in voice cracks..

https://youtu.be/-O6y1OIpbi4

For me it’s more the technical part I don’t understand. Many mistakes happened during the history tour, MJ & Friends (for instance the curtain that fell down starting Billie jean). And this WMCIG performance you can barely hear them singing. I don’t care less about his shows that Michael did not sang everything and he would have got his reasons for it. It’s the energy he spreads that exite me to watch it as well.

^ yeah that always annoys me too.. I mean the more advanced technology got the worse it worked on Michaels concerts. I mean to be fair I am not sure how difficult it was in the 90's getting things to work while traveling.. As in how there are differences in various areas of the world that need different feeds, prongs, and stuff buttt… It's a MICHAEL JACKSON concert.. come on!

PS. regarding rock my world, I didn't examine it or watch it in years but I did remember hearing some off vocals and mess ups so I knew there were live vocals. That is still considered live vocals even if half wasn't live.

Last edited:
Just to mention though there are songs post bad that he did sing partially live the same way songs like MITM was.. earth song, YANA, and scream.. scream at least one location for sure was sung 100% live and Rock My World was sung fully live but edited when aired.

Earth Song was only particularly live during the Royal Brunei concert, when he did those heavenly ad-libs. YANA also had live ad-libs at the end. Scream was live in Brunei, only during the first verse due to a playback error. And You Rock My World was never fully live either. Just a few ad-libs that were live. My point is that it's extremely disappointing that he did so much lip-syncing in the 90s. Again, I'm not disputing the fact that he had healthy problems. But still, he could have tried to have done a few songs live here and there. He did WBSS & Jackson 5 medley live on the History tour. But did he really have to perform these songs again? He could have dropped those songs and maybe have done Stranger In Moscow and Black or White or some other song live instead.

I was just making the point that on an ensemble track like that, only MJ's vocals were placed in so that he could lip-synch while everyone else was expected to sing live. It's a little embarassing.

Earth song at the world music award had simular live portion.. YANA always the same section live, the ending pretty much.. I am aware of why Scream went live, but still was live lol!.. and Rock My World, we have to say more than just ad libs.. it went in and out through the song before adlib sections.

But yes I could see why disappointing, I guess with the decades of thinking about it.. I've somewhat let it go! a little.. I mean back in the 90's when I saw these performance.. or some in the early 00s when I really started to collect MJ footage (before YouTube) I did have in the back of my head that I don't want others to notice it's not live.. I think I've even talked through performances just to hide the sound lol..

So I get it!

Earth song at the world music award had simular live portion.. YANA always the same section live, the ending pretty much.. I am aware of why Scream went live, but still was live lol!.. and Rock My World, we have to say more than just ad libs.. it went in and out through the song before adlib sections.

But yes I could see why disappointing, I guess with the decades of thinking about it.. I've somewhat let it go! a little.. I mean back in the 90's when I saw these performance.. or some in the early 00s when I really started to collect MJ footage (before YouTube) I did have in the back of my head that I don't want others to notice it's not live.. I think I've even talked through performances just to hide the sound lol..

So I get it!

Yeah I'm not talking about how Michael would only sing adlibs live in concert for certain songs. I'm saying for this specific song it's weird to expect all the contributors to perform their parts live and then have your couple of lines at the start and the bridge lipsynched.

A total mess... that's what that was...

Back