BBC Radio 2 to celebrate Madonna, MJ and Prince's 60th birthdays

CherubimII

Proud Member
BBC Radio 2 Team Up with Official Charts to Commemorate Three Music Icons.

madonna-michael-jackson-prince-60-1100.jpg

[FONT=aktiv_groteskregular]The 60th birthdays of Madonna, Michael Jackson and Prince will be celebrated on BBC Radio 2 this August Bank Holiday.[/FONT]

[FONT=aktiv_groteskregular]Across shows running from August 25-27, the legendary careers of the three icons will be commemorated, with sales data supplied by the Official Charts Company.[/FONT]

[FONT=aktiv_groteskregular]On August 25, Paul Gambaccini will reveal Madonna and Prince's respective Top 20 best-selling singles in the UK in a special edition of Pick of the Pops.[/FONT]

[FONT=aktiv_groteskregular]"It has been a privilege to present, first on Radio 1 and later on Radio 2, the chart careers of Prince and Madonna as they occurred. Prince set the standard for musicianship in the 1980s and Madonna for stage presentation in the 1990s.[/FONT]

[FONT=aktiv_groteskregular]
madonna-michael-jackson-article-body-image.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=aktiv_groteskregular]“Throughout both decades, they each provided a nonstop sequence of memorable hits. This bank holiday weekend we discover which of them have been their top 20 successes in the UK."[/FONT]

[FONT=aktiv_groteskregular]Madonna turns 60 on August 17, whi[/FONT]
[FONT=aktiv_groteskregular]le Prince would have turned 60 on June 7.[/FONT]

[FONT=aktiv_groteskregular]Aug[/FONT]
ust 27 wi[FONT=aktiv_groteskregular]ll be dedicated entirely to Michael Jackson, who would have turned 60 that very week - he was born on August 29, 1958. Michael's 60 best-selling songs will be counted down by Ana Matronic, Mark Goodier and Ken Bruce, before Trevor Nelson reveals the King of Pop's biggest 20 UK sellers.[/FONT]

[FONT=aktiv_groteskregular]“Michael Jackson is an icon and one of my favourite music artists of all time, explained Nelson. "It seems only right that we honour what would have been a milestone birthday with a complete run-down of his most well-loved songs.[/FONT]

[FONT=aktiv_groteskregular]“Everyone has a favourite Michael Jackson song, whether it be a dancefloor hit like Billie Jean or Thriller, or one of his superstar collaborations with the likes of Stevie Wonder or Diana Ross – and listeners will be sure to hear them all across Bank Holiday Monday.”[/FONT]

Great,even though idk why Prince was thrown into this mix when he wasn't even born in August. Whatever I'm not the BBC.

Great,even though idk why Prince was thrown into this mix when he wasn't even born in August. Whatever I'm not the BBC.
because all 3 would have turned 60 in 2018, not just born in August. I wish they would do some kind of special here.

Yes,it's quite a shock to find out that when you're born in June,you're that same age in August that same year

Thread cleaned, no need for bickering folks.

This just bought home how young Michael was when he went. 50 is no age at all! I’m glad it’s being acknowledged.

Michael's top 20 singles in the UK!

1) Billie Jean: 1,440,000 Sales plus Streaming
2) Earth Song: 1,270,000
3) I Want You Back: 918,000
4) Beat It
5) Don't Stop Til You Get Enough: 812,000
6) One Day In Your Life: 790,000
7) Black or White
8) Man In The Mirror
9) Thriller
10) You Are Not Alone
11) The Way You Make Me Feel: 645,000
12) Smooth Criminal: 614,000
13) Heal The World
14) Say Say Say
15) Love Never Felt So Good
16) Bad: 491,000
17) ABC
18) Show You The Way To Go
19) She's Out Of My Life
20) I Just Can't Stop Loving You: 464,000

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/michael-jacksons-top-60-songs-on-the-official-chart__23713/

Full list of MJ's top 60 songs is available in the aforementioned link. I appreciate that BBC Radio and Official Charts for honoring Michael Jackson on his 60th birthday. I just wish they had given us the SPS for all of his songs, especially Thriller as that seems to do really well during Halloween. Really surprised at the inclusion of One Day In Your Life in the top 10.

I Listened throughout the day on and off and it was a really positive celebration. Although I was surprised by the listings of some of the songs. But, It just brought home how timeless and classic these songs are. Normally when your listening to someones 54th biggest hit its not the best but MJ's 54th biggest hit was 'who is it' which is amazing or 'stranger in Moscow' another one of my favourites at 40. There is not really much more you can ask from a radio station than to spend the whole day playing MJ's songs, I thought it was really amazing and I am happy they did it.

Michael's top 20 singles in the UK!

1) Billie Jean: 1,440,000 Sales plus Streaming
2) Earth Song: 1,270,000
3) I Want You Back: 918,000
4) Beat It
5) Don't Stop Til You Get Enough: 812,000
6) One Day In Your Life: 790,000
7) Black or White
8) Man In The Mirror
9) Thriller
10) You Are Not Alone
11) The Way You Make Me Feel: 645,000
12) Smooth Criminal: 614,000
13) Heal The World
14) Say Say Say
15) Love Never Felt So Good
16) Bad: 491,000
17) ABC
18) Show You The Way To Go
19) She's Out Of My Life
20) I Just Can't Stop Loving You: 464,000

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/michael-jacksons-top-60-songs-on-the-official-chart__23713/

Full list of MJ's top 60 songs is available in the aforementioned link. I appreciate that BBC Radio and Official Charts for honoring Michael Jackson on his 60th birthday. I just wish they had given us the SPS for all of his songs, especially Thriller as that seems to do really well during Halloween. Really surprised at the inclusion of One Day In Your Life in the top 10.

ODIYL is one of Michael's solo UK number ones.

ODIYL is one of Michael's solo UK number ones.

I know but I still expected most, if not all of his bigger and well known songs such as BoW, Thriller, MITM etc to be ahead of One Day In Your Life.

I know but I still expected most, if not all of his bigger and well known songs such as BoW, Thriller, MITM etc to be ahead of One Day In Your Life.

Yes,it was a pleasant surprise.."Show You The Way to Go",was as well !?!

Back