Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Sam Smith: "I don't like Michael Jackson"

Quote Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
    Looks like Sam Smith is another arrogant prick. Don't know why some fans feel the need to jump to his defense. Sure, he can give his opinion. Was he asked though? Can you imagine the outrage if some musician/singer said they didn't like Steivie Wonder, the Beatles, Bowie etc.?
    No offense, but how does not liking Michael Jackson make him an "arrogant prick."?

Michael didn't like Madonna, yet millions love her, does that make Michael a prick?

Why should there be outrage over him saying he doesn't like any of those artist? IF you were to ask any other common person what they thought, you'd have a variety of answers, all which would be more easily accepted.

We've got to start learning that not everyone has to adore Michael or see him the same way fans do. Sam Smith is a very talented musical artist and to that, his credited is due.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chris123678 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
    No offense, but how does not liking Michael Jackson make him an "arrogant prick."?

Michael didn't like Madonna, yet millions love her, does that make Michael a prick?

Why should there be outrage over him saying he doesn't like any of those artist? IF you were to ask any other common person what they thought, you'd have a variety of answers, all which would be more easily accepted.

We've got to start learning that not everyone has to adore Michael or see him the same way fans do. Sam Smith is a very talented musical artist and to that, his credited is due.
    And, what I saw was a video of 10-15 seconds.. It was not smart for a celebrity, because he should know this would go viral, but he could have meant it in more ways than we are suggesting right now. I don't like (all of) his songs, but he's a talented singer.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    And, what I saw was a video of 10-15 seconds.. It was not smart for a celebrity, because he should know this would go viral, but he could have meant it in more ways than we are suggesting right now. I don't like (all of) his songs, but he's a talented singer.
    The video was posted accidentally. He thought it was a photo he was posting.

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,227 Times in 2,003 Posts

This is really not a big deal. We all have family, friends, or co workers that dont care for mike.. that doesnt make anyone prickish
    **He lives forever within us**

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,366 Times in 532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    This is really not a big deal. We all have family, friends, or co workers that dont care for mike.. that doesnt make anyone prickish
    Agree. He can dislike MJ, and I can dislike him. All's good.
    "Of all the thousands of entertainers I have worked with, Michael was THE most outstanding. Many have tried and will try to copy him, but his talent will never be matched." Dick Clark

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 809 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    This is really not a big deal. We all have family, friends, or co workers that don't care for mike.. that doesnt make anyone prickish
    I have relatives that don't listen to secular music at all, only gospel. So Mike is not someone they would listen to in the first place. They don't allow non gospel music to be played in their homes. Some only listen to traditional church music & spirituals, not stuff like Kirk Franklin or trap gospel or gospel rap. I know other people who mostly listen to jazz or blues or reggae or other less mainstream music. There's also the goth people who listen to The Cure or Bauhaus. So not everybody even listens to the style of music Mike makes

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I've read that many people have downplayed Sam's achievements, but in reality, Sam is quite famous. He might not be as popular as Adele, Ed Sheeran or Bruno Mars, but he is quite a household name in different countries.

I think Sam dislikes Michael's persona than his music. He likes Human Nature, and on a previous post, You Rock My World. Of course, he has the right to dislike or dislike any artist since that's his preference and I don't think he needs to be crucified for it, however reading Stephanie's aggressive response to Sam made me think that it came from another place (not really entirely about Michael).

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 563
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,840 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    I have relatives that don't listen to secular music at all, only gospel. So Mike is not someone they would listen to in the first place. They don't allow non gospel music to be played in their homes. Some only listen to traditional church music & spirituals, not stuff like Kirk Franklin or trap gospel or gospel rap. I know other people who mostly listen to jazz or blues or reggae or other less mainstream music. There's also the goth people who listen to The Cure or Bauhaus. So not everybody even listens to the style of music Mike makes
    sure, that's true. The music closest to my heart are the old big band/swing/ American jazz standards. A lot of people like music that doesn't fall in a genre that Michael excelled in.
    Sam Smith happens to be a "blue eyed pop soul singer", so it made it shocking and that's why it went viral.

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,175 Times in 828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
    Looks like Sam Smith is another arrogant prick. Don't know why some fans feel the need to jump to his defense. Sure, he can give his opinion. Was he asked though? Can you imagine the outrage if some musician/singer said they didn't like Steivie Wonder, the Beatles, Bowie etc.?
    He's arrogant because he casually said he didn't like michael jackson while hanging out? He wasn't giving a formal interview...
    Cringe.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AtlasAir View Post
    He's arrogant because he casually said he didn't like michael jackson while hanging out? He wasn't giving a formal interview...
    Cringe.
    But it wasn't him was it?
    Lambert filmed himself in sunglasses,without realising Sam Smith,came out with the comment then deleted the video off.
    By then,it was too late,and the storm had already raged on social media