Sony may unearth new songs individually over the next months and years

Slave To The Rhythm

Proud Member
“Xcsape” — which saw producers like Timbaland and Rodney Jerkins craft new tracks built around decades-old, unreleased Jackson vocals — yielded “Love Never Felt So Good,” Jackson’s first platinum hit in two decades.

Then earlier this year Drake used an unreleased Jackson vocal on his latest album, “Scorpion.” The track came from a 1983 session Jackson did with collaborator Paul Anka, who floated the track to a number of artists, including Tyga, before Drake heard the vocal, which was just a demo of the singer doing a quick take.
“Drake was so passionate about it,” Branca said. “It was like how could we not do this one? It fit so well.”

Although the record is a top 10 hit, Sony and the estate aren’t clamoring to milk Jackson’s unheard vocals. A collaboration similar to the Drake feature is unlikely to happen again, they say, and there are no immediate plans for a posthumous album.

However, that’s not to say fans won’t be hearing any “new” music from Jackson soon, as the other co-executor of the estate, John McClain, is reworking a batch of tracks alongside a high-profile producer the estate wants to keep secret for a one-off release. “We’re constantly scouring the catalog for ideas, but there are no plans at the moment to put any more full-fledged albums out,” said Sony Music Chief Executive Rob Stringer. “We are looking at one-off songs, and in this streaming world that works because it’s a track-based world. There are a few gems out there that we may unearth individually over the next months and years, but we're also very, very careful to make sure the fan base doesn’t feel like they've been asked yet again to buy material they have.”

It’s that robust presence on music streaming services that inspired last year’s “Scream.”

“We are very careful about repacking and extremely cognizant of the fan base that has everything,” Stringer said. “What's interesting with Michael is that not all artists have managed to bridge the gaps from the physical world to the iTunes world to the streaming world, but with Michael that's not the case. His streaming numbers are incredible.

“The technology at the moment enables us to do something different and highlight different songs and create concepts that will lead people to a greater understanding of the wider catalog of Michael’s work.”

Source:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-michael-jackson-estate-20180829-story.html

Who could be the producer working with John McClain!?

And what do you guys think of John McClain as a producer?

What songs could be meant?

Is there anything known?

Awesome looks like we’ll see new material soon! I think this is a smart move to release individual tracks, that way producers aren’t rushing to complete a project and makes way for quality control.

John McLain produced the solo version of Love Never Felt So Good on Xscape and did a good job. Looks like the other producer will be Mark Ronson. He’s already teasing unreleased music coming soon.
Slave To The Rhythm;4229394 said:
Who could be the producer working with John McClain!?

And what do you guys think of John McClain as a producer?

What songs could be meant?

Is there anything known?

AmitLal92;4229396 said:
John McLain produced the solo version of Love Never Felt So Good on Xscape and did a good job. Looks like the other producer will be Mark Ronson. He’s already teasing unreleased music coming soon.

Do you mean his Instagram post or did he say anything else?

Last edited:
Regarding the Mark Ronson post

The question is if unreleased MJ means that there will be unheard vocals on his extended megamix or if he is working on a completely unheard song...

Last edited:
I’m guessing he’s the producer who is working with John. It makes sense now according to that article and Instagram post.

AmitLal92;4229402 said:
I’m guessing he’s the producer who is working with John. It makes sense now according to that article and Instagram post.

Yeah but this sentence sounds more like the unreleased MJ belongs to his megamix... but I could be wrong!
Personally I would love to see him work on an MJ song and give it a New Jack Swing Sound like Uptown Funk.

ILoveHIStory;4229405 said:
In Europe, we can not read LA Times... nor google it

Just copy a part of the text of the article and search for it in google. There you can open it! I’m from Germany but could open it when I searched for it in Google.
I posted the important parts.

Slave To The Rhythm;4229406 said:
Just copy a part of the text of the article and search for it in google. There you can open it! I’m from Germany but could open it when I searched for it in Google.
I posted the important parts.

Well, I am not from the right country, obviously...

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.

Yeah but this sentence sounds more like the unreleased MJ belongs to his megamix... but I could be wrong!
Personally I would love to see him work on an MJ song and give it a New Jack Swing Sound like Uptown Funk.

Uptown Funk is great.. but there is not a bit of New Jack Swing in it.
It's more a mix of 70s/80s funk.

This is what New Jack Swing sounds like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb2np1HGqxg

new material.... finally we hear something!

This is really interesting and something I'm completely behind. The best time to release new songs would be June 25, August 29 and during the Christmas season. They missed a trick by not releasing a new song today on his 60th birthday.

I know that actual tracks probably wont be ones Michael wanted but this is the direction Michael was going which is cool for them to fallow.. the singles market, stepping away from albums

For Michael Album Mark Ronson worked on song called 'Lovely Way'. I am quite sure this will be it.

Smart move IMO.

Just like MJ already in 2008 saw. Album marked is dead - singles are what really matters. He was always 10 years before his time.

Hopefully they will release the single with a demo too. - Singles on iTunes sometimes have 3-4 versions of the song, so that would be a nice move for the Estate to sell the single like this:

1. The new updated version
2. A mix of the song - remix
3. The original demo as MJ left it

Smart move IMO.

Just like MJ already in 2008 saw. Album marked is dead - singles are what really matters. He was always 10 years before his time.

Hopefully they will release the single with a demo too. - Singles on iTunes sometimes have 3-4 versions of the song, so that would be a nice move for the Estate to sell the single like this:

1. The new updated version
2. A mix of the song - remix
3. The original demo as MJ left it

That would be my fear that they wouldn't release the demos. Also what about songs that maybe aren't strong enough to be released as a single? Michael didn't believe in album-songs but with postumous releases I think it's inevitable. But hopefully they could still release those songs on the b-side

I think its pretty save to say that we will hear "Lovely Way" finally. Ronson worked on that song in 2010.

mjfan_93;4229491 said:
I think its pretty save to say that we will hear "Lovely Way" finally. Ronson worked on that song in 2010.

Totally forgot about that! Could really be the case. But I wouldn‘t say it‘s safe. It‘s not even safe that Mark Ronson is working on a complete unreleased song

Yes this is the direction that Michael wanted to go in (digitally releasing singles NOT albums and at that time it was when he was just working with WILL IAM! I know that mark was producing a song for him also , so that fits too. I don't know whether it was finished or even partly completed.

Would be nice to know what other material is still left.

How cool would it be for a Christmas record that he made in Summer lol, and had everyone dress up and get all decorations, fake snow etc , to get the mood of the season!!

Would be great for holidays!

xscape guy 2003;4229495 said:
How cool would it be for a Christmas record that he made in Summer lol, and had everyone dress up and get all decorations, fake snow etc , to get the mood of the season!!

Would be great for holidays
!

Would be great. But unfortunately no one has ever spoken of MJ recording Christmas songs as an adult…

Would love if he had made a Christmas album after HIStory.

Hess;4229497 said:
Would be great. But unfortunately no one has ever spoken of MJ recording Christmas songs as an adult…

Would love if he had made a Christmas album after HIStory.

What about that Children's Holiday song?
EDIT: Or was it The Children's Hour? I probably remember that wrong...

Last edited:

Mark Ronson did a remix called "Diamonds are Invincible. I think its just that

Slave To The Rhythm;4229493 said:
Totally forgot about that! Could really be the case. But I wouldn‘t say it‘s safe. It‘s not even safe that Mark Ronson is working on a complete unreleased song
Mark Ronson made a remix called "Diamonds are Invincible"I think thats what the tweet is about.... Not Lovely one

Whatever John McClain thinks he is "producing" (he already ruined too many songs), I hope they will release the untouched original demos next to it.

Back