Should fans really get offended if someone doesn’t like MJ?

BadTour87

Proud Member
I’ve noticed a lot recently here that if anyone says they dislike MJ, or they previously insulted MJ in the past, they form some kind of grudge against them, solely for their dislike of MJ.

Is this honestly mature? Someone expresses their opinion and in comes the wave of salty MJ stans saying “lol who is this??” and “nobody asked for your opinion”

Reality check: no one needs to be asked to express their opinion

So before y’all get salty again for some minuscule reason, just remember this: someone not liking MJ isn’t the end of the world, it isn’t some kind of crime or sin that y’all act like it is.

They should be locked in prison and forced to listen to every song he sang, in order, and just when they're getting used to it--BAM! Switch it up. Bryan Loren can be the warden of this Jackson hellhole, because we all know his love for Mike is infinite, and would never fit the criteria of the stans' fury.

No, but there's a stark difference between saying you dislike someone and making incredibly harmful comments, that are by definition slander.

Sam Smith was probably one of the most minor cases of Jackson dislike I've ever seen. It usually goes much, much further and attacks his looks or his law history, and that is unfair and unacceptable. If you dislike someone sure, like Sam Smith said, that's fine. I don't like Sam Smith either. But, many have gone much further to the point it is outright rude and much further than one would need to go to express dislike of someone.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

No, but there's a stark difference between saying you dislike someone and making incredibly harmful comments, that are by definition slander.

Sam Smith was probably one of the most minor cases of Jackson dislike I've ever seen. It usually goes much, much further and attacks his looks or his law history, and that is unfair and unacceptable. If you dislike someone sure, like Sam Smith said, that's fine. I don't like Sam Smith either. But, many have gone much further to the point it is outright rude and much further than one would need to go to express dislike of someone.

I understand what you mean. For decades, Michael had his life under the scrutiny of the public, and it doesn't help that many of the media reports aren't factual. I understand that it might have lead people thinking of Michael negatively. Smith's case is pretty much not a big of a deal until Mills responded with a different intent in hand (it's another story about her advocacy for black music). Dislike out of preference is FINE, though fans can go berserk (what usually stans do). In every fandom there will always be that percentage of aggressive fans, so this is quite normal. The MJ fandom is massive and diverse, and it is expected that there are some aggressive fans which just happens to be larger because of the sheer size of this fandom. I think it's best for everyone to have reminders to keep our fandom in check.

I also want to point out that this fandom like Michael had been in constant defense throughout the years. I would understand that most fans can be quite defensive or aggressive even at the tiniest level of negativity directed to Michael. I remember reading fans sharing how difficult it is to be a fan of Michael in the early 2000's. Heck, even now, it's still tricky in where I live. This is because of the years of negative press on both Michael and his fans. BUT, we have to also keep in mind that there are still slanderous people who still spread lies till this day (e.g., Stacy Mcmahan Brown) and there are still misinformed people (e.g., Richard Marx).

Last edited:
I do not like Elvis music very much... - I don't hope Elvis fans care about that...

If someone doesn't like MJ - I really couldn't care less...

BUT - if they in any way imply he was guilty of the allegations of which he was cleared... Then I would propably debate and tell all the facts implying that MJ was 100% innocent. - But that's all that's important to me. If they don't like his music... So what?? There are lot's of music I don't like. - Not a big fan of rock and metal and that stuff.

They should be locked in prison and forced to listen to every song he sang, in order, and just when they're getting used to it--BAM! Switch it up. Bryan Loren can be the warden of this Jackson hellhole, because we all know his love for Mike is infinite, and would never fit the criteria of the stans' fury.

:clapping:

BadTour87;4230191 said:
I’ve noticed a lot recently here that if anyone says they dislike MJ, or they previously insulted MJ in the past, they form some kind of grudge against them, solely for their dislike of MJ.

Is this honestly mature? Someone expresses their opinion and in comes the wave of salty MJ stans saying “lol who is this??” and “nobody asked for your opinion”

Reality check: no one needs to be asked to express their opinion

So before y’all get salty again for some minuscule reason, just remember this: someone not liking MJ isn’t the end of the world, it isn’t some kind of crime or sin that y’all act like it is.

Honey. You decide for your own self when and at what to get offended and whether or not to express either your positive or negative views on any given subject. Let other people decide for themselves. You are not the arbiter of what any individual fan should or should not be offended by. Thank you

I think you've presented this topic a little like a telling off, but nonetheless I do have an opinion on it.

If you work in music and your talent/ability is music, you'd do well to pay attention to the legends, the game changers and the door openers that have gone before in your field. I don't think you need to express your undying love and desperately try to like their work but I don't think you need to be going round telling everyone how much you dislike them either. I'm no big fan of Prince or the Beatles but I'm more than aware of their influence, impact and significance I have nothing but respect for that - given the opportunity to speak about them I certainly wouldn't trash them or tell people I disliked them.

If Michael privately spoke negatively about his peers, those he personally knew and worked with, then it's different. It's not the same.

After all that, if we're questioning Michael as a man I similarly have a difficulty in it because I think you shouldn't judge people negatively that you don't know. I understand that some people may become informed and establish intelligent grounding for their negative opinion but I still think it should be reserved somewhat, it should come with a disclaimer. It doesn't sit comfortably when people gleefully do the rounds telling everyone how awful a person is based on some crap they read in a tabloid.

Everyone has their music preference. If someone doesn't like Michael's music, don't think his music is their taste, then that's perfectly fine. There are many famous artists that I don't like and don't think their music is anything special. That's fine because music choice is completely subjective.

What isn't fine is when someone says they don't like Michael, yet they took inspiration from one of Michael's song for their own song. Sam Smith comes to mind.

Or what isn't fine is when they attacked Michael in his darkest hour or if they still attack him for being a supposed child molester. Jack Black and Richard Marx are perfect examples of that.

Last edited:
wednesday;4230203 said:
Honey. You decide for your own self when and at what to get offended and whether or not to express either your positive or negative views on any given subject. Let other people decide for themselves. You are not the arbiter of what any individual fan should or should not be offended by. Thank you

“Honey”, people can get offended by whatever they want, I get that. It doesn’t make it any less immature or unreasonable.

Of course not, it speaks more about the attachment those who get offended more than those who openly say they dont care for michael.

Some really need to take a look at why (internally) it bothers them over getting upset over an opinion that really doesnt matter..

Last edited:
I saw the honey's and I immediately thought:
giphy.gif

OT: For me personally,it's not anyone's obligation to like or enjoy Michael's music. They are entitled to their incorrect/wrong opinion. Nobody has a place in forcing somebody to like something they don't want to like. If somebody is expressing that they don't like Michael or his music and they tack on other irrelevant b.s. to get their "point" across of him being a pedophile,then obviously their opinion is doing more harm to Michael's legacy than anything. Those people need to be checked and corrected. But if somebody is just saying "Oh I don't like his music" then their opinion is whatever.

I don't care unless they start calling him a pedophile. That would sour my opinion of the person. However, if presented with the truth and they admit they were wrong, then I can forgive them for that. Are there people I'm a fan of who may have said bad things about Michael? Maybe. Probably. But I don't go actively looking to see if someone I like said something bad about Michael. I tend to let bygones be bygones.

^ that's where I am. Having an opinion on his music and or even his eccentricities is one thing but to accuse him of pedophilia is beyond disrespectful

Of course you shouldnt be offended if someone doesnt like his music. Everyone has different tastes.it would be pretty pointless to even care. That changes when insults are made on a personal level towards mike

I used to get offended by it, especially online because most people who vocally disliked him usually delved into his personal issues and the accusation bs.

Very little have I heard people bash his actual music or talent, even from those who don't really listen to his style of music. I think for most people it's pretty undeniable how good he was at his craft and how good and catchy his biggest songs were.

But even then if someone felt he wasn't that great, that's fine too. To each their own as far as music taste. As long as it's an objective opinion. That's why as far as online discussion goes, this place is a godsend because everybody here is on the same page and the boards aren't riddled with trolls or people with ridiculous vendettas against the guy because they bought into tabloid slander. The MJ board on the old IMDB forums for example was just a cesspool of hate that was so frustrating for those just wanting to talk about his career.

It was after that I stopped caring about the hate. I knew that there will always be people who believe the worst over any truth and the best way to deal with that is to ignore it and find somewhere that celebrates the genius of his music and talent over anything else.

Back when we still had him I would get very offended. Especially during the HIStory Era. When I was in high school back when I was totally obsessed with Michael. I automatically became an attack dog. If any one so much as to say a single bad thing about him. Since I was the only MJ fan in a school full of haters. You seriously did not want to mess with me. When it came Michael Jackson. But that was then. And now ever since what happen to him. I really don't care anymore if someone doesn't like him or not. I guess because of my depression over what happen to him. And knowing that there is really nothing to look forward to as a MJ fan. Or just hear the latest news stories about him. It really doesn't matter to me no more. What people might think of him.

I don't mind, I get it. Not everyone will find his music appealing and not everyone likes Pop... I just dislike people who don't like MJ for dumb reasons like: his looks or the accusations... Looks for obvious reasons... And the accusations are annoying because NOBODY does research as to what actually happened and they just trust the media to tell the real story. I know this is true because years ago I made fun of MJ for being a "child molester". But I did 0 research on the matter then years later i did A LOT of research and found out he was completely innocent.

There should be professional courtesy.

But to go out of their way to use Michael's name just for a laughs (on TV) is wrong. Or to use him just to sell your false story to the tabloids is worse.

Especially when Michael helped paved the way for many in the industry.

Personally no. I have a friend that considers MJ music like an " Audio pollution " , I totally respect his opinion because he gave his opinions on MJ Music.
Out of Music, on internet there is a blog that make MJ like a devil, 10 article or even more about it ( tabloid articles ), this blog is a real b*******t, I can't respect fake facts about MJ.

THIS.

I think you've presented this topic a little like a telling off, but nonetheless I do have an opinion on it.

If you work in music and your talent/ability is music, you'd do well to pay attention to the legends, the game changers and the door openers that have gone before in your field. I don't think you need to express your undying love and desperately try to like their work but I don't think you need to be going round telling everyone how much you dislike them either. I'm no big fan of Prince or the Beatles but I'm more than aware of their influence, impact and significance I have nothing but respect for that - given the opportunity to speak about them I certainly wouldn't trash them or tell people I disliked them.

After all that, if we're questioning Michael as a man I similarly have a difficulty in it because I think you shouldn't judge people negatively that you don't know. I understand that some people may become informed and establish intelligent grounding for their negative opinion but I still think it should be reserved somewhat, it should come with a disclaimer. It doesn't sit comfortably when people gleefully do the rounds telling everyone how awful a person is based on some crap they read in a tabloid.

AND THIS.

Everyone has their music preference. If someone doesn't like Michael's music, don't think his music is their taste, then that's perfectly fine. There are many famous artists that I don't like and don't think their music is anything special. That's fine because music choice is completely subjective.

What isn't fine is when someone says they don't like Michael, yet they took inspiration from one of Michael's song for their own song. Sam Smith comes to mind.

Or what isn't fine is when they attacked Michael in his darkest hour or if they still attack him for being a supposed child molester. Jack Black and Richard Marx are perfect examples of that.

Absolutely this.

I think it's natural for Michael Jackson fans to be in "defence mode" for 80% of the time. That just comes with the territory....especially as Michael is no longer here to defend himself.

Someone expressing their opinion on whether MJ's music is their thing or not is perfectly fine, that doesn't bother me at all; but seriously, I don't think that actually happens very often. His music is often what people have the LEAST issue with. It's always "I love Michael Jackson's music, BUT........"; or "MJ was an amazing entertainer, BUT....." Then there are those who purposely discount his music, due to other unrelated matters about him, or his life, that they disapprove of.

THAT'S what I have a problem with, because I think it's very unfair and I think it's a phenomenon that occurs mostly only in relation to Michael. I express my own opinions freely about the work of other artists and entertainers, but it's always only about their work and nothing else.....I guess that's what I expect everyone else to do, regarding MJ and many just will not do it.

Back