Man Parrish - meets MJ & remixes 'Speed Demon' in the 80s

Electro

Proud Member
Anyone familiar with 1980s Electro-Hiphop / Breakdance Music probably heard of Man Parrish before. In 1982 he gave this genre classics like "Hip Hop Be Bob" and "Boogie Down Bronx" (see below).

Michael and Quincy made him remix 'Speed Demon', but unfortunately it was never released. (As the song wasn't even released as a single, besides that rare european 'promo-only' 7-inch.)

Man Parrish fans already knew about this since a while, as he briefly mentions in his artist-bio. Now he is telling the full story in his video blog:

The classics that Michael liked:

I wonder what it sounds like because electrofunk was kinda out of style by 1987, but Latin Freestyle was in around that time and that's sort of an offspring of some of the electro sounds.

Yes, I wonder that too. Also the timeline doesn't really add up too well. Maybe some details (how it came together and when) is a little blurred in his memory. All the Man Parrish hits were released in 1982 in the USA. Not sure when their performance at Studio 54 was (that Michael saw), but probably not 5 years later. So he probably remixed Speed Demon BEFORE the Bad album came out.

The whole thing is also kind of unusual, as all the songs released as singles from BAD where only remixed (extended etc) by the original production team, no external remixers. So this must have been a spontaneous one-off because Michael had enjoyed their show.

But then again it had happened before with Say Say Say and the 12" mix by Jellybean (although that came from a different label etc).

Last edited:
But then again it had happened before with Say Say Say and the 12" mix by Jellybean (although that came from a different label etc).
Technically this is Paul McCartney's record, so maybe he picked Jellybean. The Get It duet with Stevie Wonder was remixed by Rob Arbittier & Brad Buxer. What I'm really interested in hearing is what Mike did with Roger Troutman because I like Zapp.

Back