Queen & Michael Jackson Duets

RHMJ78

Proud Member
We all know that Michael and Freddie reordered duets:
State of Shock (demo available on line)
Victory (no demo ever heard)
There Must Be More To Life Than This (officially released)
Only one has been released, which was the weakest track of the three – There Must Be Life Than This (Queen Forever compilation 2014).
Will Sony release the other 2?
Queen confirmed they had worked on the MJ tracks with William Orbit:
"Am definitely working with QUEEN. Amazing songs. That’s all I’m sayin 4 now. Watch this space."
— William Orbit (@WilliamOrbit) July 29, 2014
NME website 23 October 2013:
"Brian May finishing ‘great’ Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury duets confirms Queen’s Roger Taylor"
“They're pretty good - one of them is great," says drummer”
“Queen drummer Roger Taylor has confirmed Brian May is finishing work on a number of tracks Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson duetted on”
https://www.nme.com/news/music/queen-44-1238840
The Queen film – “Bohemian Rhapsody” is due shortly for release. There will be renewed interest in Queen's music.
They have no other unheard music to release with the film as far as I am aware.
These tracks have been held back for years.
With the instant release of the film – THE TIME IS NOW .
Will Sony & the Estate release when the film is out?

Did Estate have to give permission for MJ voice on recent queen release? Surprised if so

Did Estate have to give permission for MJ voice on recent queen release? Surprised if so

They did! Any time an artist wants to sample Michael's vocals, they need to go through the estate's legal team.

If the estate felt that the Queen legal team wasn't offering enough money, or they just flat out didn't feel like letting them use Michael's vocals, there's nothing that could be done. Since Michael didn't write "There Must Be More to Life Than This," they could've done a mix of Freddie's solo version, but Michael couldn't be involved in any capacity.

Something tells me that's why we haven't seen an official release of "State of Shock" and "Victory," both of which Michael co-wrote -- Branca either wants to use them himself or he's asking for more money than the Queen team is willing to give.

I agree these tracks should be released to accompany an event like a film release where the publicity is guaranteed. The Queen film is ideal from that point of view but if it was going to happen I'm sure we would have heard something by now.

MJ Estate already had the opportunity to allow Queen to release the 3 duets if they wanted, but they only allowed one. Perhaps the next track is due on an MJ project, not on a Queen project?

The MJ Estate has very little releasable MJ material and so they'll release whatever they have sparingly from now on IMO.

Concerning the ‘Victory’ duet, it was meant to have been included (in the early 90’s) on a Queen’s box-set.

But copyright issues did not let that happen.

There are two MJ’s fans in possession of a cassette which contains that 'Victory' track,

In fact, Brian May’s mother gave that cassette to them. The cassette includes also the other two duets (‘There Must Be More To Life Than This’, ‘State Of Shock’).

I am not holding my breath for the time these two unreleased duets (‘Victory’, ‘State Of Shock’) may get an official release. A possible official release of these two duets honestly leaves me indifferent.

Brian May worked on the MJ songs,for the "Queen Forever"album,and those reworkings were submitted to the Estate for approval.
In Roger Taylor's words,it was done and completed,but getting the Estates approval was "wading through glue,dragging their feet.."

Only "There must be more to life..",was approved,and even with Brian injecting some energy into the song,and with 2 powerhouses like Michael and Freddie,its still disappointing and mediocre,at it's best.
Not having heard "Victory",the great song could still have been "State Of Shock".
Hearing the Freddie version,some years back and impressed at how much better it was than the Jagger version,I was looking forward to hearing this,but it's stalled with the Estate.

Sadly,I believe we won't hear those songs,and Queen have passed,chasing the Estates decision on them.
The Queen movie could have included MJ,and then added a song to the soundtrack,but getting an actor to portray MJ ? Probably a bit corny,and not the best idea,and to be honest,Queen are busy milking the last few drops from its legacy,to go chasing after the MJ collaboration.

It's with the Estate,but as we know,we don't hold our breath,that it will materialize..

Queen has a movie coming out Nov 8th i saw the commercial on tv. It call Bohemian Rhapsody The story of Freddie Mercury.

From the looks of it Bohemian Rhapsody is going to be great!

Still a bit gutted Sacha Boran Cohen didn't end up playing Freddie he would of really suited the role

From the sounds of it he was a bit of an ass. Pretty sure the director recently said that he was never even officially involved with the film and the stuff about freddie dying in the middle of the film was made up by him.

It woud be cool if MJ's name is mentioned at least once in the movie.. It is pretty un needed, but I like when Mikes name is attached to projects like this in SOME way! shows how much impact he really had!

Wasn't it Michael that told Freddie to release "Another one bites the dust"? I think I heard or read that they were not gonna release that song as a single but Michael convinced him to release it and it became a huge hit for them.

Talking bout the MJ/freddie tracks, how did State of shock leak? From who and when? Does anybody know anything about that?

State of shock wasn't a leak. It was in the movie Moonwalker i guess...

I'm talking about state of shock featuring Freddie mercury which has never been commercially released. Not the one with Mick Jagger that was on Victory.

Wasn't it Michael that told Freddie to release "Another one bites the dust"? I think I heard or read that they were not gonna release that song as a single but Michael convinced him to release it and it became a huge hit for them.

Yeah, Roger Taylor said that MJ heard it and told them that they would be mad to not release it as a single, he also said that he didn't believe the song would do well and about how wrong he was about that.

http://www.queenonline.com/features...kson-and-queen-fan-feature-by-sam-jesta-geden

Yeah, Roger Taylor said that MJ heard it and told them that they would be mad to not release it as a single, he also said that he didn't believe the song would do well and about how wrong he was about that.

http://www.queenonline.com/features...kson-and-queen-fan-feature-by-sam-jesta-geden - it's mentioned here both the things you mention are correct.

I agree these tracks should be released to accompany an event like a film release where the publicity is guaranteed. The Queen film is ideal from that point of view but if it was going to happen I'm sure we would have heard something by now.

MJ Estate already had the opportunity to allow Queen to release the 3 duets if they wanted, but they only allowed one. Perhaps the next track is due on an MJ project, not on a Queen project?

The MJ Estate has very little releasable MJ material and so they'll release whatever they have sparingly from now on IMO.

This is flat out false. Michael was known to record hundreds of tracks for each project he worked on. The notion that the vault is bare is BS. While we would love to have new releases of Michael's unreleased treasures every couple years, it's smart to hold off for several years and then surprise the fans with a big release.

You don't want the well to run dry so fast after Michael's passing. At the same time, the estate needs to do a better job of taking advantage of certain milestones that come up. They failed BIG TIME, on doing an anniversary package for Dangerous, and this Queen biopic as stated earlier in the this discussion, they could have worked with Queen and released those MJ/Freddie tracks.

Back