Michael Jackson in Blu Ray/HD

Smartone203

Proud Member
Am I the only one who finds it shocking that a Blu Ray set of Jackson's video's, short films, or even a concert has never been released in Blu Ray/HD except for the (let's be honest, not so popular) Moonwalker movie? On this DVD as I'm sure many of you know there are a FEW extra music videos that have been converted to the Blu Ray 1080p such as Man in the Mirror, Another Part of Me and Smooth Criminal. They are absolutely breathtaking to watch. Below is Man in the Mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IWAdE_H6fQ

Just imagine watching that entire concert in that quality. Instead, we got Wembley 1988 in awful VHS quality. We all know that Thriller has recently been converted to 1080p/3D type format and released in IMAX and it is absolutely unbelievable. From what I understand as long as a video or concert was shot in film the quality and audio is and always was a 10/10. Just check out this HIStory World Tour 1997 video that was finally uploaded recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-Ek8snF3I&t=3340s

The thing is that when these videos and concerts were released in the 80s, 90s and early 00s, it was all pre HD TV's era. Now it's possible for us to see them in this magnificent quality in our own homes, but Sony or whoever else just hasn't put together anything yet. Just imagine all his videos from Thriller to Bad to Beat It to You Rock My World all in crisp pristine HD all in one box set or dare I say Wembley 1988 or Bucharest 1992 in HD.

Unfortunately the dangerous tour was never shot on film to my knowledge, unless somebody has other info about this. Would be interesting if it was shot on film together with multitrack audio.

As far as I'm aware, the short films until Black or White can easily be converted to 4K+ as they were shot on film.

Concerts are a different story. I've never heard anyone mention Dangerous but it's common knowledge several Bad World Tour concerts were shot in film, and in full. I hope we see them one day.

this is defenetly from film

[youtube]jcxWQ4XzHTc[/youtube]

That's absolutely film. This upload of The Way You Make Me Feel from the same concert also appears that it may be film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXOk1hCtd0Y

Maybe it was a special night being New Years Eve and with Slash there and what not and they chose to do film incase of a big release down the road which obviously never happened.

Question for some pros: Sorry, I'm not that familiar with how it all works, but why wouldn't they have used film for Bucharest 1992 if this is always a better camera? Not to mention sound. Love my Bucharest DVD but the audio was just never great lets be honest.

The one negative about ever releasing an all film concert to Blu Ray is that it really can't be edited. It would be as is since there was only that ONE camera being used unlike Bucharest 92 where they inserted a few different concert parts into it (i.e. the She's Out of My Life girl)

How do you know? What is your source?

Because it looks like it. Compare it to Billie Jean Victory tour promo video or APOM live SD video. Same quality.

I noticed a film camera in Billie jean Buenos aires and also MITM Bucharest, it becomes visible at the ending of Heal the World at the right side of the stage. There IS film but I doubt there is a full concert or enough material to make a blu ray

this is defenetly from film

[youtube]jcxWQ4XzHTc[/youtube]

Just because he had people shoot random stuff on a film camera here and there doesn't mean an entire show was professionally filmed as such.

The officially released show itself was shot on tape, so i dont think they would waste their time with film otherwise (other than filming stuff for prosperity/future b-roll/etc)

As already said, everything shot in 35mm film can be restored and released in 4K. Billie jean was shot in 16mm and the max resolution is around 2K (although some 16mm content was already restored/released in native 4K with a few more details in the PQ). I think Beat It was the first video clip shot in 35mm if someone can confirm ?

Last edited:
Just imagine all his videos from Thriller to Bad to Beat It to You Rock My World all in crisp pristine HD all in one box set or dare I say Wembley 1988 or Bucharest 1992 in HD.
Bucharest or the Wembley concert that was released weren't shot on film so they will never be HD.

I hope we get concerts and short films on Blu-Ray at point. They did film some concerts on film:

https://icolorist.com/2011/07/29/grading-michael-jackson/

That guy says it the absolute best.

"A disappointing waste as the film managed to capture Jackson at his peak."

Forget us die hards, but isn't it heartbreaking how young people today can't experience what Michael Jackson was really like in his prime in concert? Imagine the kind of world this could open up to new fans. I'm sure the Jackson family would have no problem with getting a Blu Ray concert out there.

Is it strictly Sony that owns this footage and has the power to release it?

MJ deserves HD content. Period. Wembley was a letdown in terms of quality. We know they recorded Bad tour on film, all depends on if they found the masters yet. Dangerous tour, not sure if a full show was filmed. I think by then tape was the easier choice.

As far as I'm aware, the short films until Black or White can easily be converted to 4K+ as they were shot on film.

Pretty much everything from Beat It onwards was shot on 35mm. The effects were edited on video however, is the problem. Therefore any effects in Michael's videos would have to be recreated.

Also what assurance do we have that the film negatives have been retained for anything besides Moonwalker and Thriller?

Pretty much everything from Beat It onwards was shot on 35mm. The effects were edited on video however, is the problem. Therefore any effects in Michael's videos would have to be recreated.

Also what assurance do we have that the film negatives have been retained for anything besides Moonwalker and Thriller?
I have seen many people say that about the effects but I wonder if its actually true?

I'm sure they have the film negatives. They had a lot of behind the scenes and unused footage in Bad 25 documentary. They did keep those so they definitely have the actual short films too. It is likely that Warner has the Moonwalker film negatives and not Estate.

We saw a lot in Bad 25.

The HIStory Tour was filmed with HD Cameras at the Munich Concert. Maybe not the best Concert but with the highest picture quality.

I thought there making a restore process with Bucharest 92 for dangerous 25 but they don’t.

Unfortunately Michael had made the best Music Videos in the Music Business. Period. It’s a shame that the Vision Release was not an Blu-ray Box Set.

Anybody know the Robbie Williams DVD with different performances from his Tours? I really like the DVD.
Maybe they Relase an Blu-ray best of Michael in Concert so they can pick each HD Filmed Song and make one ,,Concert“.

I'm not an expert but as far as i know, all MJ's video clips from Beat It (1983) until Liberian Girl (1989) have no CGI, so there is absolutely nothing to rework about visual effects, just restoring the negative film in 4K. Where it starts to get tougher is from Dangerous era and later. Remember the Time, Give Into Me, Earth Song, Scream etc... have a lot of CGI/visual effects, surely done back in the days at a res lower than 2K.

If i'm wrong, please someone correct me.

Just curious with regards to the below amazing HIStory 1997 upload, would this be able to even be released on Blu Ray? The quality might be HD, but it's not 16:9 and the quality wouldn't be able to hold up on that aspect ratio, am I right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-Ek8snF3I&t=4065s

btw.... the SOUND on these HD uploads are the whole other amazing part. Amazing. One thing that always upset me about my Bucharest DVD was the sound. Very poor.

Which absolutely could be done, but would take a lot of time and effort (and money). Something they are clearly not interested in investing.

Which absolutely could be done, but would take a lot of time and effort (and money). Something they are clearly not interested in investing.

Soon MJ3 will decide - and I am very sure Prince and Paris do not care about money - they care more about their dad's art and I think they would spend some money on restoring his videos to 4k. - They respect his art very much.

We saw a lot in Bad 25.

Correct me if I'm wrong but nothing we saw in Bad 25 was from any of the videos. As I remember there was behind the scenes footage, outtakes etc. And how do we know when this footage was taken from the negatives?

I appreciate this is clear evidence of there being footage from a higher quality source, but it does not assure us that the negatives for the music videos themselves are safe.

Correct me if I'm wrong but nothing we saw in Bad 25 was from any of the videos. As I remember there was behind the scenes footage, outtakes etc. And how do we know when this footage was taken from the negatives?

I appreciate this is clear evidence of there being footage from a higher quality source, but it does not assure us that the negatives for the music videos themselves are safe.

We saw Bad and The Way You Make Me Feel for sure. Dirty Diana too I'm sure.

Smooth - already in HD
Speed Demon - already available
Bad - Seen in Bad 25
TWYMMF - Seen in Bad 25
Dirty Diana - Seen in Bad 25 [unsure of this thinking about it]
Man in the Mirror - ? Doubt this would be done on film.
APOM - Seen in Bad 25.
Leave Me Alone - Seen in HD already.
Liberian Girl - Unsure, might've been in Bad 25 but I don't think it was.

Just curious with regards to the below amazing HIStory 1997 upload, would this be able to even be released on Blu Ray? The quality might be HD, but it's not 16:9 and the quality wouldn't be able to hold up on that aspect ratio, am I right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-Ek8snF3I&t=4065s

btw.... the SOUND on these HD uploads are the whole other amazing part. Amazing. One thing that always upset me about my Bucharest DVD was the sound. Very poor.

HIStory Tour in Munich can absolutely be released in Blu-Ray format, it was shot in High Definition. There were rumours one more show from HIStory was too, although this has never been confirmed.

At this point, any new concert material would be great. Regardless of what format.

HIStory Tour in Munich can absolutely be released in Blu-Ray format, it was shot in High Definition. There were rumours one more show from HIStory was too, although this has never been confirmed.

The question that was asked earlier was if this concert is shot in 16:9 or in 4:3, I think.

IMWhizzle;4232230 said:
The question that was asked earlier was if this concert is shot in 16:9 or in 4:3, I think.

Yeah but it’s an odd question. Not all Blu Ray has to be 16:9 obviously. Munich was shot in high definition (albeit 4:3). Not sure if like Thriller it was shot to be cropped but I doubt it.

dam2040;4232235 said:
Yeah but it’s an odd question. Not all Blu Ray has to be 16:9 obviously. Munich was shot in high definition (albeit 4:3). Not sure if like Thriller it was shot to be cropped but I doubt it.

Well it kinda does have to be shot that way. Who wants to watch a concert on today's widescreen TV's with black bars on the sides? Not me.

Back