History Tour DVD Release Christmas 1997 - which Cut/Angle/TV Version was planned for the Release?

aurinho

Proud Member
Hi,
we all know that there was a DVD planned for the History Tour in Christmas 1997. It should be the Munich Concert and a Documentary on it.
Can anybody tell me which Cut/Angle/TV Version was planned for this?
Was there a Special Sound Mix for the DVD version or the same like the TV stations had?
And why was this DVD Cancelled?

I can’t find another thread for this...if there is a thread for this...please answer with the link.

Thank you
Alex

I think the reason why the release was cancelled was because Michael was unhappy with his performance.

I've heard this claim before for a very long time yet I've still never seen a source to confirm it. I've checked MJ forums and MJ fansites from as far back as 1997 and all I see are people discussing TV broadcasts, no potential DVD releases.

Please, tell me if I am wrong however.

I've heard this claim before for a very long time yet I've still never seen a source to confirm it. I've checked MJ forums and MJ fansites from as far back as 1997 and all I see are people discussing TV broadcasts, no potential DVD releases.

I was gonna say if MJ was that unhappy it would have never made it onto to TV never mind a dvd.

Was L.A 1989 planned for a VHS release? because I heard it was. If that's true, then I'd be more interested in that

Was L.A 1989 planned for a VHS release? because I heard it was. If that's true, then I'd be more interested in that
Yes it was. That show should have been released. Steve mentioned seeing an old magazine with advertisement for a VHS release in 1990...

The fact that it is the only History concert shot in HD shows it was meant for release.
Although, I think other History concerts should've been considered instead. Since Munich is mixed with different dates I'm assuming that would've been the official decision if released.

Yes it was. That show should have been released. Steve mentioned seeing an old magazine with advertisement for a VHS release in 1990...

The fact that it is the only History concert shot in HD shows it was meant for release.
Although, I think other History concerts should've been considered instead. Since Munich is mixed with different dates I'm assuming that would've been the official decision if released.

To think that we would also have that Victory tour that was going to be released on Laserdisc (probably VHS too) but MJ didn't want it that way. He was a perfectionist and wanted people to attend his concerts, yes, but a release of his best concerts like that Victory show or Bad tour L.A would've been even better for him, and for us.

I'm just glad that the Bad tour was finally released and you can see it on Youtube, people on the comments say that the show is perfect, and it is, that's why we wanted it so much for so many years. lol it made me remind the days when Lounis came up with his Tokyo and Rome snippets. We couldn't believe our eyes.

Back on topic; History tour? No thanks, I'd only buy a History tour if it comes in a box set with all of his tours. dam2040's idea is great, a Wembley box set from Bad to History. Everybody would love that.

My local Blockbusters sent out a newsletter with upcoming releases. HIStory Tour Munich was one. No idea how far along the project was or why it got cancelled. I just remember being told that it was shot in a way 'fans would enjoy for years to come' in the late 90s.

To think that we would also have that Victory tour that was going to be released on Laserdisc (probably VHS too) but MJ didn't want it that way. He was a perfectionist and wanted people to attend his concerts, yes, but a release of his best concerts like that Victory show or Bad tour L.A would've been even better for him, and for us.

I'm just glad that the Bad tour was finally released and you can see it on Youtube, people on the comments say that the show is perfect, and it is, that's why we wanted it so much for so many years. lol it made me remind the days when Lounis came up with his Tokyo and Rome snippets. We couldn't believe our eyes.

Back on topic; History tour? No thanks, I'd only buy a History tour if it comes in a box set with all of his tours. dam2040's idea is great, a Wembley box set from Bad to History. Everybody would love that.

'The Wembley Collection' could be a huge box set and include all the shows he did there. It could even include backstage footage and stuff like the video clip we got at the start of Wembley 1988's release.

'The Wembley Collection' could be a huge box set and include all the shows he did there. It could even include backstage footage and stuff like the video clip we got at the start of Wembley 1988's release.

They could even include the Making of History tour which was leaked on here and also planned for the original History tour release. And maybe do the same for Bad and Dangerous. They could put (as bonus) missing songs from other dates like TWYMMF Wembley etc. History tour Wembley doesn't include TWYMMF does it? They could just include one from the early 97 shows as bonus, same with Off the Wall and Come Together. I'd be okay with that. There is so much they can do.

Yeah hope they will Release a Concert Collection or a Special Concert soon. All we have is Bucharest 92 in normal DVD Quality, This Is It in HD and Bad Wembley in VHS Quality on a DVD....
Just Intresting that the most good Releases from Michael were only on VHS - Seoul 96, Making Of Thriller and Ghosts....maybe i will put an VHS Recorder back in my Room :D

So nobody knows which TV Version from Munich 97 exactly was planned for the DVD Release?

Lol I remember Lounis sharing snippets on his old forum.
Yeah so many missed opportunities for concert releases. The only Jackson's Release I can think of was the triumph "LIVE" CD. I wonder if a Laserdisc was planned for that tour also. It's unfortunate the lack of official Live performances we have.
Agreed, a box set would be ideal.

I really want to see Smooth Criminal live at Madison Square Garden 1988. Seeing that sung live would be incredible, and Michael sounded really good too. And I liked how he used the Moonwalker lyrics instead of the album lyrics.

Yeah hope they will Release a Concert Collection or a Special Concert soon. All we have is Bucharest 92 in normal DVD Quality, This Is It in HD and Bad Wembley in VHS Quality on a DVD....
Just Intresting that the most good Releases from Michael were only on VHS - Seoul 96, Making Of Thriller and Ghosts....maybe i will put an VHS Recorder back in my Room :D

So nobody knows which TV Version from Munich 97 exactly was planned for the DVD Release?

We can only guess the WOWOW/2DF/RTE versions are as good as were going to get, and the cut used. The audio quality is absolutely amazing.

MJ needs to have more officially released concerts!!

Triumph, Victory, BAD and Dangerous needs more releases!! BAD needs a '89 HD release and Dangerous could be a mixed concert with songs from different concerts, or one full concert.

aurinho;4232149 said:
Hi,
we all know that there was a DVD planned for the History Tour in Christmas 1997. It should be the Munich Concert and a Documentary on it.
And why was this DVD Cancelled?

Thank you
Alex

analogue;4232152 said:
I think the reason why the release was cancelled was because Michael was unhappy with his performance.

BadTour87;4232157 said:

SmoothGangsta;4232158 said:
I was gonna say if MJ was that unhappy it would have never made it onto to TV never mind a dvd.

analogue;4232164 said:

Hess;4232195 said:
MJ needs to have more officially released concerts!!

During his career, MJ’s management team always wanted from him to release official concerts.

So, his team used to make plans for such possible releases (like the 1989 BAD LA concert, or the 1997 HIStory Munich concert).

But MJ himself backed out of those plans in the end. The reason was that he felt that such a video release would destroy the magical experience of those who attended those live concerts.

That was his perspective on that.

The only exception was the official release of his 1992 Dangerous concert in Bucharest.

But, that Bucharest release was a completely different thing for reasons which had to do mainly with highlighting the charity purposes of that tour along with highlighting specifically the plight of the Romanian young babies.

mj_frenzy;4232200 said:
During his career, MJ’s management team always wanted from him to release official concerts.

So, his team used to make plans for such possible releases (like the 1989 BAD LA concert, or the 1997 HIStory Munich concert).

But MJ himself backed out of those plans in the end. The reason was that he felt that such a video release would destroy the magical experience of those who attended those live concerts.

The only exception was the official release of his 1992 Dangerous concert in Bucharest.

But, that Bucharest release was a completely different thing for reasons which had to do mainly with highlighting the charity purposes of that tour along with highlighting specifically the plight of the Romanian young babies.

And what is the source for this?

Do you have source? I think it is more likely that he just wasn't satisfied when he saw the footage because he was perfectionist.

When the Bucharest DVD was released in 2005 there was absolutely no mention of charity or Romanian babies as far as I can remember., and to be honest, considering

I don't remember the TV broadcast so maybe that's what you're thinking of.

If a Munich 1997 release was planned, it's important to note that promotion for HIStory/BotDF had practically ended by the time Christmas came around, so Michael's view on his performance may not have been a factor in it's cancellation.

It's interesting to think about though, it definitely would've garnered some US attention I think.

I think the cancellations were simply because he wanted people to enjoy the show Live. Also because he was a perfectionist. Although, there are some exceptions. Yokohama '87 wasn't officially released but broadcast on TV. Same with Bucharest until 05.
If we look back at the victory tour, his brothers wanted a show released but MJ refused. He was already frustrated with the tour and his brothers at that point. He ended up getting his own crew to film a concert (chicago) and shelved it apparently.
History tour Munich I feel like MJ knew it wasn't his best therefore simple TV broadcast was good enough.
It's unfortunate, but at least we have great concerts official or "bootleg".

And what is the source for this?

Do you have source? I think it is more likely that he just wasn't satisfied when he saw the footage because he was perfectionist.

If a Munich 1997 release was planned, it's important to note that promotion for HIStory/BotDF had practically ended by the time Christmas came around, so Michael's view on his performance may not have been a factor in it's cancellation.

It's interesting to think about though, it definitely would've garnered some US attention I think.

I think the cancellations were simply because he wanted people to enjoy the show Live. Also because he was a perfectionist. Although, there are some exceptions. Yokohama '87 wasn't officially released but broadcast on TV. Same with Bucharest until 05.
If we look back at the victory tour, his brothers wanted a show released but MJ refused. He was already frustrated with the tour and his brothers at that point. He ended up getting his own crew to film a concert (chicago) and shelved it apparently.
History tour Munich I feel like MJ knew it wasn't his best therefore simple TV broadcast was good enough.
It's unfortunate, but at least we have great concerts official or "bootleg".

MJ revealed that reason to reporters during the final stages of his BAD Tour.

He wanted the live experience of his concerts to remain some sort of mystery that his fans would only experience if they would come to his live shows.

By contrary, a possible official live video release would ruin that mystery, according to him.

This is also the reason why he never officially released audio live CD of his solo concerts during his career.

About the HIStory Munich concert, it has been suggested that MJ appeared to be unhappy with that particular performance.

But as far as I am aware, MJ himself never confirmed those suggestions.

When the Bucharest DVD was released in 2005 there was absolutely no mention of charity or Romanian babies as far as I can remember., and to be honest, considering

I don't remember the TV broadcast so maybe that's what you're thinking of.

The official recording of the Dangerous Bucharest concert (for TV broadcast, but also for an official video release later) was due to his efforts to raise awareness for the predicament of the Romanian young babies.

Jerry Kramer (who also directed Making of Thriller and portions of Moonwalker) and a film a crew filmed the final shows for the Triumph Tour but the live album was already planned for release.

While a release of the LA 89 show has been rumored, I also remember reading a newspaper clipping that one of the London or Paris shows were slated for broadcast. Of course, it was probably reported to rile people up

the Yokohama show was mostly due to NTT being major sponsors for the Japanese leg and that was why he allowed it to be aired on TV

Looking for info right now about the Bucharest broadcast

mj_frenzy;4232245 said:
MJ revealed that reason to reporters during the final stages of his BAD Tour.

He wanted the live experience of his concerts to remain some sort of mystery that his fans would only experience if they would come to his live shows.

By contrary, a possible official live video release would ruin that mystery, according to him.

This is also the reason why he never officially released audio live CD of his solo concerts during his career.

About the HIStory Munich concert, it has been suggested that MJ appeared to be unhappy with that particular performance.

But as far as I am aware, MJ himself never confirmed those suggestions.

The official recording of the Dangerous Bucharest concert (for TV broadcast, but also for an official video release later) was due to his efforts to raise awareness for the predicament of the Romanian young babies.

This sounds more like speculation than facts...

Why would he then make the Another Part of Me (live) musicvideo?

I do not say it's not correct, but it does sonund more like speculation than facts, and I think MJ wanted people to see the shows - thoses unfortunate who could not go to see him live, I do not think MJ never wanted to give them the opportunity.

MJ not being 100 % satisfied with the concert sounds more true to me - but then again, we will propably never know…

Maybe there is footage of MJ talking about why it was never released, future will tell.

Hess;4232247 said:
This sounds more like speculation than facts...

Why would he then make the Another Part of Me (live) musicvideo?

I do not say it's not correct, but it does sonund more like speculation than facts, and I think MJ wanted people to see the shows - thoses unfortunate who could not go to see him live, I do not think MJ never wanted to give them the opportunity.

MJ not being 100 % satisfied with the concert sounds more true to me - but then again, we will propably never know…

Maybe there is footage of MJ talking about why it was never released, future will tell.

Him not being satisfied is what I heard

Robbsaber01;4232165 said:

I still don’t believe that to be honest.

Wasn't there a post of the DVD case on here years ago for Munich? I cant find it. Remember Seoul was released on VHS as well. As for Bucharest DVD it was released in 2004 along with the The Ultimate Collection box set then later released as a stand alone DVD in 2005. BBC broadcasted it in 1992 as well as HBO then on MJ marathons that ran regularly on VH1 in the 90's. Last time I remember VH1 showing the Bucharest show was on Michael Jackson's Halloween Crypt which same night also premiere of Making Of Ghosts VH1 version. They continued to show the concert few weeks after this was 2003 I am guessing. Theirs no doubt in my mind tho that VH1 most likely has the Yokohama concert I remember seeing part of Beat It on one of their promo commercials for station.

VH1 most likely has the Yokohama concert I remember seeing part of Beat It on one of their promo commercials for station.

A bit out of topic, but a rebroadcast of Yokohama in upscaled HD would be really cool

A bit out of topic, but a rebroadcast of Yokohama in upscaled HD would be really cool

I agree. Im still wondering why there is not much information on this PROMO VHS.

Epic_Records_Mic_4f21d3e64d7da.jpg

Epic Records Michael Jackson 'Japan Concert Tour' Promo Master Tape 88/01/29 (USA)

Era: Bad Tour
Release Type: Official
Artist: Michael Jackson
Label: Epic Records - VCA Telectronics
Catalog#: 109888KS
Release Date: 88/01/29
End Market: Promotional
Description:

1988 US master promo videotape for Bad Japan Tour '88 - Duration: 95:00.

Whatever reason we can come up with of why concerts were recorded. We do know Michael filmed alotttt!! He was very big on "capturing the magic". He had a personal filmed that pretty much went with him everywhere for years... which yes I imagine all the footage that exists out there.

I am sure the man that is known as the greatest entertainer of our generation that loved "capturing the magic" would want him on stage to be filmed as much as possible.. I mean he even filmed a decent amount of rehearsals.

Back