The Achievements of Every Album

Doggone

Proud Member
Hey guys

I was thinking maybe we should make a threat whereby we list all achievement's that each album gained.

I'll start and then I will add later more. I don't have much time to write each achievement for every album, nor do I know all achievements. So feel free to help! I will edit this threat frequently.

Off The Wall

- Two number 1 singles
- First time an artist had 4 top 10 hits.
- Michael's first Grammy

Thriller

- Most albums sold worldwide.
- Two number 1 hit singles.
- Seven top 10 hits.
- 8 Grammy's
- Music videos
- Breaking racial barriers
- First artist to have an album at #1 and a number #1 song on Billboard's pop and R&B chart.
- Stayed for 37 weeks at #1 on the Billboard 200
- Best selling album in 1983 and 1984, for two consecutive years.

Bad

- First album that generated 5 #1 singles on the Billboard Hot 100
- Second most selling album of all time

Dangerous

- Black or White had the most viewers for a short movie, namely 500 million.

HIStory

- Scream was the first single that the highest debut on the Billboard Hot 100, namely #5.
- You Are Not Alone was the first single to debut at #1, breaking his previous record.

Invincible

- Fastest selling album

Last edited:
Couple of easy ones:

In terms of global certifications, Michael Jackson is the biggest selling solo artist in the history of music.

HIStory is the greatest selling double disc album of all time at 20 million copies.

Blood on the Dance Floor is the best selling remix album of all time by a margin of at least 1 million copies.

Invincible shipped 5.4 million copies in 2001, despite being released on the 30th of October. 5.4 million copies in two months. 11th overall for the year.

- Bad and Dangerous both had 7 top 10 singles in the UK.

- Earth Song was the Christmas number 1 in the UK in 1995.

HIStory had the biggest first week sales of a 1995 album in the US for a few months if that counts.

Earth Song and TDCAU were the first No.1 singles for Michael in Germany. (Due to the Wetten Dass performance etc)

Let's not forget the tours that conside with these albums broke records as well..

From attendance, to sell out numbers etc.

Would be interesting to see what (if anything) Invincible achieved. I know it went double platinum in America, didn't it actually outsell HIStory stateside?

The ‘Invincible’ album was his fastest selling studio album.

But contrary to false belief, ‘Invincible’ actually sold less than 7 million copies overall.

Also, the ‘HIStory’ album is his best selling album in Germany.

Scream was the highest first week entry ever on the billboard chart, later topped by You Are Not Alone entering at number 1, although I could be here all day adding facts and achievements but that's my first lol

mj_frenzy;4232667 said:
The ‘Invincible’ album was his fastest selling studio album.

But contrary to false belief, ‘Invincible’ actually sold less than 7 million copies overall..

Ridiculous to think 7 million would be considered a flop by anyone's standards. Publicly claiming the head of your record label is a racist and not promoting your album and still sell 7mil in the midst of all that?!

No one sells 7 million even with a full payola campaign behind them.

Thriller stayed at #1 on Billboard 200 for 37 weeks, which is a record for a studio album.

Thriller was the first studio album to be the best selling album in US for two consecutive years, in 1983 & 1984.

Thriller stayed at #1 on Billboard 200 for 37 weeks, which is a record for a studio album.

Thriller was the first studio album to be the best selling album in US for two consecutive years, in 1983 & 1984.

Every time I read that first one it still shocks me. Imagine a number one album for 37 weeks. The amount of large releases blocked, the new artists stopped.. Thriller is nothing short of the pinnacle of modern music.

Edited! Please share more facts so we have a clear overview! :D

Michael Jackson has the #1, #2, and #3 biggest selling albums globally by a male solo singer.

Michael Jackson has THREE of the top 20 biggest selling albums in history (most of these are from female singers, or bands). MJ is the only male artist to be in the top 20, hence the stat above!

Michael Jackson has the #1 (Thriller), #2 (Bad), and #3 (Dangerous) biggest selling albums globally by a male solo singer.

Michael Jackson has THREE of the top 20 biggest selling albums in history (most of these are from female singers, or bands). MJ is the only male artist to be in the top 20, hence the stat above!

Some Prince songs like The Most Beautiful Girl in the World, even though Prince didn't like covers.

Back