2020 Michael Jackson Broadway Show

Smartone203

Proud Member
https://variety.com/2018/legit/news/michael-jackson-broadway-1202850757/

I'm sure many of you have heard about this but I have not seen a thread so thought I would start one.

I for one am very excited about something like this and feel like it has been a long time coming. If it is very successful it could do wonders for Jackson's image in the United States, something This Is It never got a chance to do.

The show will be a musical and will tell the story of the life of MJ. There will be two MJ characters. One younger aged around 10, and the other will be the adult MJ who will likely play him from his early 20s to his death.

Perhaps everyone can chime in on how they think the show would go if it were two acts. Below is my idea for it all. Songs to be performed in each scene in parenthesis.

If I am missing any key moments please let me know.

ACT I:
Opening Scene: Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' performed with the older Jackson and co.

Scene 1: Growing up in Gary and joining his brothers
Scene 2: Early Jackson 5 years of touring / signing with Motown (early song tidbits performed)
Scene 3: Jackson 5 on the Ed Sullivan show 1969 (I want you back)
Scene 4: JacksonMania (ABC, Stop the Love, I'll be There)
Scene 5: The move to Epic/Off the Wall and Destiny/Triumph Tours (Don't stop til' you get enough, Rock with You, Dancing Machine)
Scene 6: Thriller success and subsequent Grammy wins
Scene 7: Motown 25 (short version of Billie Jean)
Scene 8: The Thriller video (Thriller)
Scene 9: The Pepsi commercial incident
Scene 10: Victory Tour and the end of The Jacksons/The beginning of Jackson's vitiligo (Shake your body, Can you feel it)
Scene 11: Jackson buys the Beatles catalog
Scene 12: Jackson buys Neverland/Bad album (Bad)

(Intermission)

ACT II

Scene 13: Sony contract renewal and Dangerous (Black or White, In the Closet, Dangerous)
Scene 14: First child molestation accusations
Scene 15: Marriage to Lisa Marie Presley
Scene 16: HIStory (Scream, They don't care about us, You are not alone)
Scene 17: Second marriage and Fatherhood (Smile)
Scene 18: Label dispute with Sony and Invincible release/Dependency on pain medication (You Rock My World)
Scene 19: 30th Anniversary Special at MSG (Can You Feel It, Full version of Billie Jean)
Scene 20: Dangling Blanket from balcony / Living With Michael Jackson documentary
Scene 21: 2005 Trial and subsequently leaving the United States
Scene 22: Return to US and raising his kids/Jackson's financial problems begin/being pressured to go back onstage
Scene 23: This Is It rehearsals (Jam, Smooth Criminal, Earth Song, Beat It)
Scene 24: Conrad Murray/Jackson's death and fan love
Scene 25: Jackson's final message (Man in the Mirror)

Curtain Call: Heal the World sung with whole cast

Personally, I hope it is completely positive and does NOT have scenes such as 14, 18 and 20 (parts a and b). I would rather there be a strong emphasis on his work ethic and genius in the recording studio, his appreciation of art and culture; but most of all his humanitarianism, his global vision and his message.

I would assume at this time, the musical woujd be a feel good jukebox musical and not a 50 Act synopsis of Michael's whole life.

The director made some remarks that I read on another forum that implied it would center on a pivotal moment in his life that foreshadowed what was to come.

One interesting theory I read would be the night of the Grammys-when OTW was such a huge, surprise success and it wasn't nominated for Best Album. Thus starting the fire in his heart that created Thriller.

Let’s be honest with ourselves, no matter how good it will be the criticism will be the same. “Why didn’t it focus on the allegations or his weirdness!!” - the Cirque show was hit with that constantly and even Bad 25 documentary had that thrown its way.

It doesn’t really matter that much but it’s just frustrating to read.

Didn't Branca say it was going to focus on one particular moment in Michael's life?

I truly cannot wait for this to happen. But I hope they stay clear of his private life and focus on his work. With the director/choreographer Christopher Wheeldon being a ballet dancer I wonder if there will be some ballet elements mixed in - which would be so cool and unique. :clapping:

https://variety.com/2018/legit/news/michael-jackson-broadway-1202850757/

I'm sure many of you have heard about this but I have not seen a thread so thought I would start one.

I for one am very excited about something like this and feel like it has been a long time coming. If it is very successful it could do wonders for Jackson's image in the United States, something This Is It never got a chance to do.

The show will be a musical and will tell the story of the life of MJ. There will be two MJ characters. One younger aged around 10, and the other will be the adult MJ who will likely play him from his early 20s to his death.

Perhaps everyone can chime in on how they think the show would go if it were two acts. Below is my idea for it all. Songs to be performed in each scene in parenthesis.

If I am missing any key moments please let me know.

ACT I:
Opening Scene: Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' performed with the older Jackson and co.

Scene 1: Growing up in Gary and joining his brothers
Scene 2: Early Jackson 5 years of touring / signing with Motown (early song tidbits performed)
Scene 3: Jackson 5 on the Ed Sullivan show 1969 (I want you back)
Scene 4: JacksonMania (ABC, Stop the Love, I'll be There)
Scene 5: The move to Epic/Off the Wall and Destiny/Triumph Tours (Don't stop til' you get enough, Rock with You, Dancing Machine)
Scene 6: Thriller success and subsequent Grammy wins
Scene 7: Motown 25 (short version of Billie Jean)
Scene 8: The Thriller video (Thriller)
Scene 9: The Pepsi commercial incident
Scene 10: Victory Tour and the end of The Jacksons/The beginning of Jackson's vitiligo (Shake your body, Can you feel it)
Scene 11: Jackson buys the Beatles catalog
Scene 12: Jackson buys Neverland/Bad album (Bad)

(Intermission)

ACT II

Scene 13: Sony contract renewal and Dangerous (Black or White, In the Closet, Dangerous)
Scene 14: First child molestation accusations
Scene 15: Marriage to Lisa Marie Presley
Scene 16: HIStory (Scream, They don't care about us, You are not alone)
Scene 17: Second marriage and Fatherhood (Smile)
Scene 18: Label dispute with Sony and Invincible release/Dependency on pain medication (You Rock My World)
Scene 19: 30th Anniversary Special at MSG (Can You Feel It, Full version of Billie Jean)
Scene 20: Dangling Blanket from balcony / Living With Michael Jackson documentary
Scene 21: 2005 Trial and subsequently leaving the United States
Scene 22: Return to US and raising his kids/Jackson's financial problems begin/being pressured to go back onstage
Scene 23: This Is It rehearsals (Jam, Smooth Criminal, Earth Song, Beat It)
Scene 24: Conrad Murray/Jackson's death and fan love
Scene 25: Jackson's final message (Man in the Mirror)

Curtain Call: Heal the World sung with whole cast

This is perfect ! (y)

Back