Should the estate be looking to produce a BIOEPIC given the interest in a Freddie Mercury/Elton John

xscape guy 2003

Proud Member
Given the interest in BIOEPICS now should the estate be looking who will play Michael in a film about his life?

Is this why we are not getting any new releases yet and should they be looking to produce a Huge film about Michaels career etc?

I am very near to going to see Bohemian Rhapsody and it looks incredible. I am also liking the look of the Elton John *Rocketman* Bioepic.

I think this is a new interest in the public ever since the start of the incredible success of This Is It!, Frozen, LA la land and recently Greatest Showman/Mama Mia 2.

I think this coupled with a Broadway show would bring Michael to the masses again and kickstart a huge Michael revival once again by showing the world what made him the King of Pop.

On the back of all this I think the estate/Sony should release once every few months a new unreleased single and produce a truly epic short film, one that actually may had been made by him! Not just a music video!

Also they could then release all his short films in FULL HD or even 4K, and drip releases of concerts etc.

I really think this should all be started for the 10th anniversary of Michaels leaving our world.

To celebrate Michael's life as THE GREATEST SHOWMAN EVER.

*BeaTlesBoy*

The thing about Michael is that no one could ever be Michael. Everyone knows he had something about him that's just never existed, before or since.

I imagine it would be more nonsense like the Neverland show with Navi.

I’ve always felt sad that there has never been a well done movie, or even documentary, about Michael’s entire life. The Jacksons American Dream was by far the best movie, but obviously that only chronicles his earlier years, and the only halfway decent documentary IMO is the “Man in the Mirror” doc which can be found on Youtube. With regards to a real deal worldwide release movie, if done correctly and professionally I’m still not so sure how well it would do. This Is It was a completely different type of film with real footage of MJ rehearsing and singing. We need to be honest in that Michael’s reputation and image in the United States is and for a long time has been far from great and doesn’t even come close to a Freddie Mercury or Elton John. People might not want to pay to see the story of a man who went through not one but TWO child molestation scandals.

On top of that, it would probably be the hardest casting job in the history of Hollywood to get someone who could capture who MJ really was. The person would have to be able to act well, AND have the dance moves down pat.

I think for now the best we can hope for and something we should be happy about is the 2020 Broadway show that will chronicle his life.

In my opinion, we don't need anything like this at all. I think the Broadway show idea, which has a musical element, of course, is a much better way to go. That and Cirque du Soleil keeps the focus firmly on Michael's life path, as it's traversed through his music.

Whatever our opinion is I'm sure the idea is already in the estates minds. Maybe the reason they have not made one yet is for the same reasons mentioned here..

ifff done right I'd love to see one, it would just be a huge undertaking and very hard thing to pull off correctly. And even if done correctly, many fans would still not be happy

I seriously think this would be an amazing idea and I feel would kick start the 10th year of Michaels anniversary but instead of being gloomy and sad, we would be celebrating his LIFE.

I might have my doubts about the MJ BioEpic idea. However I like to check out "Bohemian Rhapsody" myself.

I can't believe there isn't someone somewhere who resembles Michael Jackson. If they can't find someone in the US, go to Brazil. They like plastic surgery and many look like BAD era MJ... I'm more worried about the script or how they would make Michael speak...

I can't believe there isn't someone somewhere who resembles Michael Jackson. If they can't find someone in the US, go to Brazil. They like plastic surgery and many look like BAD era MJ... I'm more worried about the script or how they would make Michael speak...

Even if someone who looks like Michael could be found, then it would only represent one era. Then we'd have to sit through terrible acting from someone who has been plucked from the streets of Brazil. I just think a bio-movie is redundant at this point. Michael's life story is well known, globally. Something that celebrates his music, his genius and his humanitarianism would be more palatable to me personally and perhaps to most fans.

I feel that a sufficient Michael Jackson biopic is borderline impossible.

First off, what era would they choose to represent? Michael's career was indisputably the most turbulent, the most incongruous, and the most divisive of any mainstream recording artist, which lends to a wealth of ideas and concepts that could be addressed. Anything from his upbringing and rise to fame, to the Thriller phenomenon, to his effort at a career resurgence in 2009 would be fascinating. Knowing the worldwide penchant for sensationalism and controversy, though, it would likely focus on either of the two child molestation scandals and their buildup/aftermath, which I can't imagine anybody has any interest in.

Secondly, how are they going to approach it? Will they be more optimistic/forgiving and paint Michael as an innocent victim of circumstance? Will they be more harsh/cynical and depict him as a mental case? Will they toe a middle ground and try to be as impartial as possible? Most of Michael's life and career, particularly the Chandler and Arvizo eras, would need to be approached with caution, as it's incredibly easy to sway one way or the other and present something that's observably biased or incomplete. It's easy to please one end of the spectrum (i.e., those that love him and those that don't), but it's difficult to please both. I don't want to see a film that shows Michael tripped out on drugs while conveniently skimming over his efforts at rehabilitation, nor do I want to see a film that paints him as a God among men while ignoring his occasional faults and/or eccentricities.

Third, who the hell is going to play him? Casting pre-1984 would be easy enough, but the Bad era onward would be a challenge. Putting a black man in white face would cause a sh*t storm of epic proportions, as would casting an outright white person (remember Joseph Fiennes?).

There are simply too many factors working against the idea of a quality biopic. It's easy enough for Freddie Mercury or John Lennon or Elvis Presley, because their careers were rather linear and consistent in terms of peaks and valleys. Michael Jackson consistently went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows, and that's hard to pull off respectfully.

One problem with a faithful biopic about Michael, is his appearance changed so much over the course of about 25 years. As such, they'd either need different actors or very clever makeup to pull it off. Lifetime got close with Searching for Neverland, and that only focused on a two-year period.

Would you have faith/trust in a movie,when existing members of the subject matter,have milked the legacy for money,since the lead singers death?
No wonder,critics slam "Bohemian Rhapsody",because it covers over the scandals and the finer details,and it's viewed as unrealistic.

Like mentioned here earlier,would an MJ movie,be made beyond the interests of a quick buck,and praised for missing the scandals, accusations etc?
More importantly,perhaps the best movie would be the ELTON JOHN movie,if that has included Eltons contribution and input into its making.
If it doesn't,at least ELTON has a voice to comment and criticise,when sadly,MICHAEL or FREDDIE don't.

I'd rather see an Senna/Amy style documentary with rare unreleased MJ videos and audio narrating the story, along with the right choice of "talking heads" to lend perspective and add to the fullness of the narrative.

The movie does look fantastic by the way

They could make a bio-TRILOGY if they really wanted to... it would need to be written in 3 larger-than-usual film acts..
-the first movie could be from birth to OTW
-sequel could be from Thriller to HIStory
-final film could be from birth of his children to his death

Don’t ever think it’ll happen but if any celebrity were qualified to have a cinematic universe/trilogy about them specifically then I think MJ could be it 🤷🏻*♂️

CrazyVegasMJ;4232992 said:
They could make a bio-TRILOGY if they really wanted to... it would need to be written in 3 larger-than-usual film acts..

Don’t ever think it’ll happen but if any celebrity were qualified to have a cinematic universe/trilogy about them specifically then I think MJ could be it ����*♂️

John Branca already said that eventually they will make something like this and even suggested making more than one.

Lets remember, most of us liked American Dream! yes a fully adult Michael is harder to pull off but we can't expect perfection.. I do think E casanova has protrayted late 80's-mid 90's well in the past. I'm not sure how he could do today with age, a little weight gain.. But maybe he could pull it together.

Remember this? haha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8xJJS18Z6I

There will never be another Michael, it really does not harm his image if they really do try to portray him from an honest place.. I think we just worry so much if that will be the case

The Estate should not be looking to produce such a biopic film about MJ, in my opinion.

It would be quite impossible to find a person that looks like him but also dances like him.

But even if they find such a person during casting, I believe the final result would still look somewhat cheap.

Most of his fans are not going to pay any attention to it, while certain parts of its story-telling unavoidably would also come under fire by viewers/critics.

It would be a doomed to commercial failure project.

Been there done that, there really is no need for it

I'd rather have unreleased footage of Michael in the recording studio or rehearsing his tours be released then some clown from Hollywood pull off a bad attempt to dance like Michael. Did we not learn anything from the Billboard Music Awards hologram disaster? Screw that.

The negative Nancy's have invaded this thread as well. Well Im here to breathe some much needed optimism into the conversation. I think if done properly a biopic would be quite successful. It has potential for sure. Michael Jackson led one of the most interesting lives this past century with total worldwide recognition, and the public would love to see it on the big screen. IF the reviews are good, and its done with care, I think it would gross hundreds of millions worldwide, similar to This Is It.

NE

That sounds like a similar format to the 2017 New Edition 3 night movie miniseries on BET. About a month or 2 ago, there was sort of a sequel, the 2 night Bobby Brown Story which had the same actors. So all together, that was kinda like 5 movies. There's a rumor that there might be another miniseries about the NE sidegroup Bell Biv DeVoe, because the 1st 2 was successful. Especially The New Edition Story. That was the reason the Bobby Brown one was made.
That can work on TV as a miniseries like The Jacksons An American Dream or The Temptations but I don't see many people going to see a movie biopic and 2 sequels at a theater where they have to pay. There would also be a lot of time between each movie release. The members of New Edition were directly involved with their biopic, including choosing the actors that were to play them. That would not be the case with a Michael Jackson movie. Jermaine was involved with the Jackson family miniseries.

We are "negative nancys" we are just basically saying the truth!

As others have said you cant fit the whole of MJ's career into a single 2hr - 2.5hr film, so if this happens it will either be a multi-part series or it will focus on a specific period in MJ's life.

I don't think any studio would bankroll a two or three part MJ film because they aren't guaranteed to get the money back at the box office, they'd want to release one film and then see how it goes before green lighting the sequel. The MJ Estate can't fund it all themselves.
A TV project is a more realistic aim for providing the whole MJ story IMO. But even a 6 part mini-series would struggle to cover everything.

Sadly if anybody but the MJ Estate wants to produce an MJ story I'm sure they will focus on the allegations, whether it be in '93 or '03 or both and I can guarantee they won't be fair. The probability of anbody wanting to 'expose' the blackmail, the fabrications in the allegations and media misreporting is almost zero, although THAT is the most sensational and interesting story they could tell!! (Could the Chandlers or Arvizos sue a film or TV company who chose to call them liars outright??)

IF the MJ Estate ever have any involvement in a film/series about MJ I can guarantee they will be accused of providing a sanitised version of events, even if their story is actually quite accurate - the media and public have a deluded sense of 'truth' when it comes to MJ so they wouldn't know truth if it was served to them on a plate.

Then there are all the issues around casting an actor or (actors) who can play MJ.
You may need somebody who can dance, that's a given if you're going to show anything before the 2000s but after that MJ didn't really perform so it's not necessary to show it.
You need somebody who can pull off a dark complexion but also the white complexion without looking ridiculous if choosing a single actor.

They should stay away from impersonators who can't act. It cheapens the whole thing. The film MJ doesn't actually have to look the same as MJ anyway, They just need to look MJ-esque. A similar build. A similar set of features. Not a clone.
They need to choose somebody who naturally has a softer, higher quality to their speaking voice to avoid that fake high pitch MJ voice people use when impersonating him.

Telling MJ's story is a difficult job and it's a minefield.

I love that if you're not completely positive to absolutely any idea [no matter how terrible] you're a 'negative Nancy'.

Let's watch someone pretend to be MJ in a poorly made film skipping over large parts of his life. While we're at it, let's motion capture the guy and project him worldwide on a 'hologram' tour.

Sadly if anybody but the MJ Estate wants to produce an MJ story I'm sure they will focus on the allegations, whether it be in '93 or '03 or both and I can guarantee they won't be fair. )

Of course they will put the allegations in it as its apart of michaels life unfortnately sad but true

I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet, but it got me thinking.
I'd love to see a film about Michael making Thriller and the impact it had. I don't think kids will truly understand just how Thriller changed everything.
It could start will MJ being frustrated at Off the Wall not getting the recognition it deserves, and his idea to make the best selling album ever.
I think so much could be done. Just how they recorded the songs, MJ pioneering the short films, the year long campaign to keep the album at number 1, MTV at first refusing to play Billie Jean, the Motown 25 performance, and the impact of the album all over the world.

I think, if done right, that would be great. Obviously, finding someone who looks and dances like Michael would be difficult. But I'm sure they could find someone like Wylie Draper.

But it's already there with the "making of tniller" vhs

I think the filmmakers would need to do a CGI face of Michael in his later years over the actor’s face and with the state-of-the-art technology that Marvel has been using as of late (i.e. de-aging their actors, motion capture, etc) I think we’re on the brink of that being a real possibility

Back