I just realised something about the LJN Grammy Awards doll from the 80s...

Mike P.

Proud Member
I just got a vintage MJ doll in his Grammy Awards outfit from ebay to go with my Thriller and AMA ones, and it just now occurred to me that MJ never wore gold pants with this outfit. He wore black pants during both the Grammys and the White House visit. I know in the 80s these dolls were just meant as kids toys and not made to be super accurate replicas, but it's funny that they just randomly gave him gold pants years before he actually wore them during the HIStory tour. I wish I knew what MJ actually thought of these dolls, lol. I know there is a photo of him holding one and looking at it but I don't think I've ever heard a quote of him saying anything about them.

I also wish things like ebay had been around when I was really young. I remember wishing there were MJ dolls when I was a kid in the early 90s not knowing such things actually existed a decade earlier.

I just got a vintage MJ doll in his Grammy Awards outfit from ebay to go with my Thriller and AMA ones, and it just now occurred to me that MJ never wore gold pants with this outfit. He wore black pants during both the Grammys and the White House visit. I know in the 80s these dolls were just meant as kids toys and not made to be super accurate replicas, but it's funny that they just randomly gave him gold pants years before he actually wore them during the HIStory tour. I wish I knew what MJ actually thought of these dolls, lol. I know there is a photo of him holding one and looking at it but I don't think I've ever heard a quote of him saying anything about them.

I also wish things like ebay had been around when I was really young. I remember wishing there were MJ dolls when I was a kid in the early 90s not knowing such things actually existed a decade earlier.
I remember seeing the ones in the 80's, but didn't realize they made them in the 90's. But they must have-Blanket was holding a Black or White doll during the Memorial Service. It didn't look new.

I remember seeing the ones in the 80's, but didn't realize they made them in the 90's. But they must have-Blanket was holding a Black or White doll during the Memorial Service. It didn't look new.

Yeah that thing was released in 'HIStory' style packaging. You could also get the 'Beat It' outfit for it which came with a little thing to insert in his back.

michael-jackson---king-of-pop---12---collectible-doll---michael-jackson-sing---black-or-white--p-image-271489-grande.jpg

There were prototypes made for 'Remember the Time' outfits but never released. You can find them online, the French collector [unsure of his name] made a video on Youtube showing them all off.

Yeah that thing was released in 'HIStory' style packaging. You could also get the 'Beat It' outfit for it which came with a little thing to insert in his back.

michael-jackson---king-of-pop---12---collectible-doll---michael-jackson-sing---black-or-white--p-image-271489-grande.jpg

Yeah those were available in UK toy shops around 1997/98 I'm sure.

Michael frequently wore gold trousers when he performed with his brothers. just like he wore the glove before Motown 25. I think they were just chosen because they matched the jacket to be honest.

though I am surprised by how pale they made him :eek:. he only started appearing that way in the summer of '84, with the victory album inlay and promo pictures. then of course, halfway through the tour where he was covered in white foundation on the face, neck, hands, and chest. which is why his '85 waxwork turned out the way it did :eek:

Back