Michael Jackson's Iconic 'Thriller' Is 36 Today — and It's Still the World's Best-selling Album

CherubimII

Proud Member
Michael Jackson's Iconic 'Thriller' Is 36 Today — and It's Still the World's Best-selling Album

Tom Huddleston Jr.
<time class="datestamp" itemprop="datePublished" datetime="2018-11-30T12:36:08-0500" style="user-select: text; padding: 5px 0px 0px; color: rgb(62, 72, 85); margin-left: 0px; position: relative; z-index: 1; display: inline-block;">12:36 PM ET Fri, 30 Nov 2018

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/30/mic...r-anniversary-still-all-time-best-seller.html

</time>
Thirty-six years ago, Michael Jackson released an album that cemented his status as the world's biggest pop star."Thriller," released on November 30, 1982, went on to become the world's best-selling music album in history. The iconic album, featuring hits like the title track as well as "Beat It" and "Billie Jean," has sold over 33 million copies, and counting, in the United States alone, according to recent numbers from the Recording Industry Association of America.

While the Eagles album "Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" recently passed"Thriller" in terms of all-time American sales (with 38 million, according to RIAA), Jackson's classic album is still recognized as the best-selling album ever in terms of global sales. While estimates vary, "Thriller" is said to have sold at least 66 million copies globally, according to the Guinness World Records, while others have claimed the album has sold over 100 million copies worldwide.

What is clear is that the release of "Thriller" kicked off a period of massive earnings for Jackson, with Forbes reporting that the "King of Pop" pulled in $134 million (from album sales, touring and other sources) in just the two years following the album's release. In total, Jackson earned over $1.1 billion during his lifetime, according to Forbes, which also noted that the singer's estate continues to collect massive amounts of posthumous cash ($700 million in the first five years after Jackson's 2009 death, the publication reported in 2014).

While a classic album like "Thriller" obviously was, and continues to be, a major earner for Jackson and his estate, the singer also made money by staying busy through a variety of ventures, from a clothing label to endorsements for brands like Pepsi.

Despite his global success and massive earning power, Jackson was adamant about not getting complacent with his career. For that reason, the singer said he refused to display his numerous awards (13 Grammy Awards, for example) in his home. He didn't want to sap his work ethic.
"I try not to think about it too hard," Jackson told Geraldo Rivera about his success in a 2005 interview. "I don't want my subconscious mind to think that I've done it all: 'You're done now.' No. That's why I don't put awards or trophies in my house. You won't find a gold record anywhere in my house, because it makes you feel you've accomplished [everything]. But, I always wanna feel, 'No, I haven't done it yet."

With the ongoing rise of music streaming resulting in fewer album salesin today's music industry, "Thriller" and other classic albums are likely safe, for now, in their spots atop the all-time rankings for album sales. In 2017, US album sales dipped nearly 18 percent, to roughly 169 million copies sold, according to Nielsen. And, mega-stars like Taylor Swift (whose "Reputation" led all album sales last year, with 1.9 million sold) tend to be the only musicians who sell a significant number of albums anymore, whether that be in physical or digital sales.

<time class="datestamp" itemprop="datePublished" datetime="2018-11-30T12:36:08-0500" style="user-select: text; padding: 5px 0px 0px; color: rgb(62, 72, 85); margin-left: 0px; position: relative; z-index: 1; display: inline-block;">

</time>

<section class="cols2" style="user-select: text; margin: 0px auto; overflow: hidden; clear: both; width: 970px; border-top: 1px solid rgb(204, 214, 219); padding-top: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Averta; font-size: 14px;"><article style="user-select: text;">

</article></section>

With that being said plus the youtube ad promo.... we should finally have this in 4k for the public

a timeless collection of songs with various styles, that would impact Michael's career and the world like never before, or since. happy birthday 'thriller'! may you remain on top :)

Thriller is since 1984 the BEST SELLING ALBUM IN THE U.S. AND IN THE WORLD.

The most iconic album of all time. Thriller and its subsequent music video changed the shape of the music industry.

On a side note, I really hope we get an anniversary edition in 2022 for Thriller's 40th birthday. The 25th anniversary edition was terrible and an album such as Thriller deserves better.

I don't believe the Eagles sold that much...

I think Thriller is the best selling album in America - and Globally.

While the RIAA numbers are indeed sketchy, The Eagles were on the catalog charts for most of the 90s, whereas Thriller left the chart in about 1993. Sales around this time for the Eagles definitely outnumbered Thriller but I can&#8217;t say the same for catalog charts nowadays.

the fact that 'thriller' the album is also on the digital charts in 2018, is proof that the album itself is continuing to live on for generations. it's not just based on one video ('thriller') or one performance (Motown 25), but the entire package. Guinness don't just give these records away freely, they have to be earned - which Michael did. no amount of attempted detraction will take away from the impact.

It's not fair to compare Thriller with the Eages greatest hits. Thriller is a studio album, while the Eagles album is a greatest hits compilation. The new fans or casual fans are always going to check out an artist's greatest hits albums over his/her studio albums. That's where Michael suffers from having so many greatest hits compilations. But in spite of that, Thriller is still charting in countries like US on a regular basis, which shows the impact Thriller has had and continues to have on the music industry and pop culture.

BadTour87;4235184 said:
While the RIAA numbers are indeed sketchy, The Eagles were on the catalog charts for most of the 90s, whereas Thriller left the chart in about 1993. Sales around this time for the Eagles definitely outnumbered Thriller but I can’t say the same for catalog charts nowadays.

The Eagles Greatest Hits did VERY well during the 90s in club/catalogue sales, literally sold millions of copies over a 8 year period. Thriller on the other hand was pretty dormant during the 1993 to 2003 era. Since the RIAA changed their rules to allow for club sales and for digital sales, the Eagles took the opportunity to go back and count for all those millions of club sales in the 90s plus the digital sales as well from 2006 onwards. So if you take essentially 10 years of missed Columbia House sales and 10 years of missed online sales, you can see how their numbers surged so much from their last 2006 update.

Going forward, their numbers will not rise as fast anymore as they will be tied to the same rules as everyone else and there are no other missed sales to account for. Thriller is still 5 million units behind though and will likely not catch up. Unless the estate has some massive national campaign for Thriller, or if they plan to allocate all sales of Number Ones/The Essential to the actual album, then Thriller will never make it back to #1. Five million is a huge deficit.

On a positive note, I think with MJ's 10 year anniversary of his death coming up in June , he will get plenty of press around that time. I've been told the estate is planning a few surprises and publicity for this. Other than that my best advice is to stream Thriller as much as you can, try to spread the word to others to do the same, or just buy the album on vinyl, CD, or a digital i-Tunes copy.

The Eagles sales are wrong, with or without club/catalogue or digital sales (the most important music club, BMG, have just over 1 millions albums for the Eagles Greatest Hits, not 20 millions or more), everybody should see the thread about the Eagles albums in Mjjcommunity, or the various threads in the website Lipstickalley; there are plenty of explanations and examples to prove that these sales are simply false (the huge differences sales between RIAA/Soundscan for ex.), but also the RIAA inability to prove their numbers for the Eagles albums:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...urpasses-Thriller-in-the-USA/page10?p=4230213

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threa...-album-in-the-us-to-the-eagles.1779019/page-3

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threa...-gh-surpassed-thriller-just-trust-us.1792244/

Last edited:
the eagles greatest hits did very well during the 90s in club/catalogue sales, literally sold millions of copies over a 8 year period. Thriller on the other hand was pretty dormant during the 1993 to 2003 era. Since the riaa changed their rules to allow for club sales and for digital sales, the eagles took the opportunity to go back and count for all those millions of club sales in the 90s plus the digital sales as well from 2006 onwards. So if you take essentially 10 years of missed columbia house sales and 10 years of missed online sales, you can see how their numbers surged so much from their last 2006 update.

Going forward, their numbers will not rise as fast anymore as they will be tied to the same rules as everyone else and there are no other missed sales to account for. Thriller is still 5 million units behind though and will likely not catch up. Unless the estate has some massive national campaign for thriller, or if they plan to allocate all sales of number ones/the essential to the actual album, then thriller will never make it back to #1. Five million is a huge deficit.

On a positive note, i think with mj's 10 year anniversary of his death coming up in june , he will get plenty of press around that time. I've been told the estate is planning a few surprises and publicity for this. Other than that my best advice is to stream thriller as much as you can, try to spread the word to others to do the same, or just buy the album on vinyl, cd, or a digital i-tunes copy.

bullshit

Back