Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: sales

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Okay, let’s agree to disagree about Dibango & Hall.

‘Thriller’ was not the biggest selling album of all time in 1983.

It became in February (1984), as confirmed also by the The Guinness Book of World Records ceremony that took place in that month.

Anything else that suggests otherwise is misleading.
    See my previous quotes, from the Guiness website too, I don't need to repeat myself.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses problem was not just a very short religious crisis that took place very late in the production of the ‘Thriller’ video.

It actually had been a long-standing problem even before the ‘Thriller’ video, when leaders of Jehovah’s Witnesses did not generally approve the pop image that he was projecting.

Leaders of Jehovah’s Witnesses thought that MJ was not a good role model for people (also because of his use of make-up that made him look slightly effeminate, both on stage but also off stage).

The last straw was that ‘Thriller’ video that made leaders infuriated with him, to the point where MJ even regretted having released it.

So for them it was not just a problem with this music video; so what ? For the word "problem" I don't talk about the Jehovah withnesses, but about MJ with this music video, so for him it was a very short religious crisis because he have accepted to realease and promote the music video, it was no more a problem for him some days later and he have excused himself to Landis and co; you should read my post, I have already explained that.

The demo & the official version of the song are not identical.

Greg Phillinganes came up later with the instrumental break (that can be heard in the middle of the song).

The demo does not have that instrumental part.
    Musically it was identical, of course there are not the "instrumental break" because it's a very early demo...with minimal instruments, also Phillinganes have been credited for his job (rythm arrangement), not sure if it was him or not for this "break" or he have just helped him, well this very short section that don't deserve the credit to be co-author, that just the part of the music arrangement (or to be dedicated to help, like Temperton with the section C for the music "Hundred ways", see the quote from Jones I have posted).
    Last edited by blair; 18-01-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: sales

Quote Originally Posted by blair View Post
    See my previous quotes, from the Guiness website too, I don't need to repeat myself.

So for them it was not just a problem with this music video; so what ? For the word "problem" I don't talk about the Jehovah withnesses, but about MJ with this music video, so for him it was a very short religious crisis because he have accepted to realease and promote the music video, it was no more a problem for him some days later and he have excused himself to Landis and co; you should read my post, I have already explained that.
    The disclaimer did not help at all & that religious crisis continued to be a problem even after the release of the ‘Thriller’ video.

So big became the problem (also because of that video) that MJ even thought to stop further distribution of that video.

Eventually, MJ being fed up with them (Jehovah’s Witnesses leaders), he decided to withdraw from the religion in 1987.

That is the actual chronology of the events.

Quote Originally Posted by blair View Post
    Musically it was identical, of course there are not the "instrumental break" because it's a very early demo...with minimal instruments, also Phillinganes have been credited for his job (rythm arrangement), not sure if it was him or not for this "break" or he have just helped him, well this very short section that don't deserve the credit to be co-author, that just the part of the music arrangement (or to be dedicated to help, like Temperton with the section C for the music "Hundred ways", see the quote from Jones I have posted).
    Sharing co-writing credits with others (Greg Phillinganes, here) would have meant for MJ sharing also royalties.

That is the reason that Greg Phillinganes was relegated to rhythm arrangements for his idea & contribution to that instrumental break (a break very crucial for the song in general).

It was a typical pattern of MJ’s behaviour to relegate or even exclude certain contributions from other musicians (up to his final studio album in 2001) because he did not want to share royalties.