December 23, 2007: Michael Jackson News & Mentionings

Dorothy_Marie

Proud Member
Hello and good afternoon. There is no news to report but a few mentionings. Speaking of mentionngs I have something interesting that I came upon. I will let you read it and see what it's all about (It's the first mentioning.)

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...6963214.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california
Historic trove recalls famous L.A. crimes

Most know Steve Cooley as Los Angeles County's district attorney. But the Los Angeles native also is a history buff, and his collection of memorabilia has turned part of his office suite into a museum of sorts.

The three floors near the top of the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Building in downtown Los Angeles, domain of the district attorney's office, house a cache of mementos, evidence from prominent trials and even artwork.

Some of the trove belongs to the county, but Cooley has added plenty from his own eclectic collection. From the macabre contents of the office's "evidence room" of historic crimes to the old-fashioned police call box next to his desk on the 18th floor, Cooley was happy to show all of it to a reporter recently.

Two floors below is a locked walk-in closet officially known as the Historical Vault. It's the repository for evidence collected in some of the county's most infamous cases, many of which have been the subjects of books and movies.

Plain brown boxes hold photographs, transcripts and other details of such cases as the murder of Elizabeth Short, dubbed the Black Dahlia after her bisected body was found in a vacant Los Angeles lot in 1947. Other boxes are dedicated to the case of wife-killer L. Ewing Scott, who in 1957 was the first person convicted of murder in California without a body having been found, and to preserving the details of the death Marilyn Monroe in 1962.

One of the items is a suitcase that had belonged to pop singer Michael Jackson. The label said it contains "numerous books, 2 pairs of Reebok shoes, 2 pairs of jeans, 1 pair underwear, $1, tube hair-straightener."

Yet another box contains the bloodstained navy blue suit jacket (minus a sleeve) and trousers and other clothes that U.S. Sen. Robert F. Kennedy was wearing when he was shot to death at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles on June 5, 1968.

"We got a letter from the Secretary of State requesting us to turn over his clothing and other items in our possession," Cooley said as he opened the box to display its contents, which include a white shirt, boxer shorts, belt, tie, handkerchief and a single yellow metal cuff link.

"Someone from the state archives will be coming here next year to collect it."

Mass murderer Charles Manson's records and evidence also are boxed up here, including two murder weapons and two mannequins used at the trial to show victims' wounds.

But the evidence closet couldn't begin to hold everything from all the area's crimes, Cooley was quick to point out.

"This is nothing," Cooley said, looking around the room. "We've got another facility in Commerce that's the size of a football field."

Up on the 18th floor, hundreds of items are on display. One conference room is decorated with the drawings of Mona Shafer Edwards, a Los Angeles courtroom artist whose work gives glimpses of high-profile trials including that of "Night Stalker" Richard Ramirez; O.J. Simpson; the Menendez brothers, who killed their parents; and Jody "Babydol" Gibson, a Hollywood madam.

Another conference room, named for former district attorney and California Atty. Gen. Evelle J. Younger, contains tile plaques representing most of the county's 88 cities. Cooley began asking local officials to send him the plaques shortly after he took office seven years ago, and most have obliged, enabling Cooley to turn the conference area into what he calls his "City Room."

"It started out by accident, asking each one of the 78 cities we help in prosecution cases to send us their city plaque," Cooley said. About a dozen cities are missing, including Los Angeles, which Cooley says "is in the process of making one," and Malibu, whose emblem apparently "got slowed down by fires." West Hollywood and Pasadena have assured him theirs are en route, he said.

He doesn't, however, expect to get one from Vernon, where his office has filed political corruption charges against the mayor and others.

Cooley also has put on display a collection of his memorabilia, including FBI baseball caps commemorating the 12 years his father spent with the bureau, and mugs, lapel pins, T-shirts and badges from various local police departments.

A framed 1978 photo of himself in his police uniform, standing by a black and white police car, is a reminder of his days as a reserve LAPD officer.

And then there is a fake, battery-operated "time bomb" that came from a judge with a note reading "Ha!" It reminds Cooley of the time he sent out a "talking" invitation to a fundraiser for his 2000 race for district attorney.

It apparently looked suspicious to one of the recipients, a different judge. The bomb squad was called and blew up Cooley's gimmicky invitation in the parking lot of the courthouse in Norwalk.

Cooley attributes his love of historic items in part to his deep roots in Los Angeles.

He was born and raised in Silver Lake and majored in history at Cal State Los Angeles.

Cooley builds on the tradition of his former boss, Gil Garcetti, who commissioned a giant mural of a 150-year timeline of the D.A.'s office.

When asked what he's going to do with all his memorabilia when he leaves office, Cooley, who plans to seek reelection next year, didn't respond directly.

"Hopefully that won't be too soon," he said.

http://www.pr-usa.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53553&Itemid=9

While Jason Winkler's band plans to take the stage by storm, they won't be alone. Also slated to hit the stage is urban newcomer Porta Prince. Named for the capital city of Haiti, Porta Prince delivers an infectious style of hip-hop, which combines smoothly crafted lyrics over hypnotic beats. He will perform songs from his upcoming debut release, which will feature performances from heavyweights such as Akon, Keyshia Cole, Ray J and Mya.

"I'm excited to be playing Winklerfest because it's a blending of genres," Porta Prince says. "My music is 'hip hop' but I get a lot of influence from Linkin Park, Fleetwood Mac and Michael Jackson because that's what I listen to, so I think it will have appeal for a wide range of people."

http://www.sbsun.com/columnists/ci_7789319

Maybe it's just a number. Drugs, not age, did in their drummer, Keith Moon, and as long as our other favorite chemically altered Keith (Richards) defies bioscience as Mick Jagger's still-functioning alter-ego, I guess time really is on our side. So what, Madonna turns 50 in 2008? So do Michael Jackson
and Prince.
It might not be the "new 30," but it's at least the new 45.

http://www.ameinfo.com/142398.html

Also amongst the panelists, industry expert Douglas Palau of BBDO spoke of Pepsi's extravagant example of celebrity marketing, which involves the production of an Arabic-language feature film, 'Bahr Al Nujoom' or 'Sea of the Stars' starring a number of Arab celebrities. He touched on how the brand has benefited from pop-star endorsement over the years, from Michael Jackson to the Spice Girls and Christina Aguilera and, close to home, Elissa and Amro Diab

http://www.newsday.co.tt/features/0,70267.html

But an arguably more notable reference came for Ocean, courtesy of US comedy, Everybody Hates Chris. Written by comedian Chris Rock, and loosely based on his childhood experiences, the award-winning show follows the lives of a young Chris (played by Tyler James Williams) and his family. Chris’s sister Tonya (Imani Hakim) is a huge Billy Ocean fan, and even insists that her idol invented Michael Jackson’s moonwalk

Michael Jackson HIStory:

1990 - Michael Jackson was presented the "Video Vanguard Artist of the Decade" award at the MTV Video Music Awards.

Last edited:
Thanks Dorothy, i have one more i'm not sure if it was posted or not but here goes:

Usher becomes family guy

http://www.accessatlanta.com/music/content/music/stories/2007/12/19/usherfamily_1220_web.html?imw=Y

(Usher added that a collaboration with Michael Jackson and Atlanta rapper-singer T-Pain is in early stages. "It's been created, but it's not recorded. And as long as Michael is open to it, hey, anything goes."

Mmmmmm this is the first I've heard about this. Has anyone heard about this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/12/24/cnbeatles124.xml

The Beatles still hitting the big notes

By Christopher Hope and Jonathan Russell

Last Updated: 11:01pm GMT 23/12/2007

When the Fab Four sang “the best things in life are free, but you can keep them for the birds and bees”, they could have had little idea how prescient they were being.

More than 40 years on, figures released by Apple Corps, the Beatles’ record label, show the money they were singing about is still pouring in for the musicians and their estates.

Last year, Sir Paul McCartney, Richard Starkey aka Ringo Starr, Olivia Harrison, widow of George, and John Lennon’s widow, Yoko Ono, walked away with £2.7m each from Beatles releases, DVDs and videos.
The publishing rights to the songs are owned by Michael Jackson and Sony. Accounts filed at Companies House show each of the four was paid £2.1m for “promotional services” and £561,000 for “name and likeness payments” for the year ending January 31, 2007. The amounts are nearly three times what they received the year before.
With Sir Paul still to settle his multi-million-pound divorce case, the extra cash could prove to be very useful. Lady McCartney has been reported to be claiming between £10m and £60m from Sir Paul.
Despite the huge fees paid to the four, the company turned a loss of £1.3m in 2006 into a profit of £1.9m this year.
Over the past four years, the four beneficial shareholders of Apple Corps Ltd have taken an average annual payout of £1.5m from the company.

Uh Barrett Strong originally sang "the best things in life are free but you can't give 'em to the birds and bees..." :-| :lol:

They give the Beatles too much credit for songs they actually COVERED, lol.

Last edited:
Mmmmmm this is the first I've heard about this. Has anyone heard about this?
When Gansta showed up on that dj's website I tried to search on his name. One of the names that came up was T-Pain but I don't remember in what context. At least it think it had to do with Gangsta. It had to do with one of the songs that showed up on the web and had Michael in it and I think Gangsta was the only one we actually confirmed was Michael.

Thanks Dorothy, i have one more i'm not sure if it was posted or not but here goes:

Usher becomes family guy

http://www.accessatlanta.com/music/content/music/stories/2007/12/19/usherfamily_1220_web.html?imw=Y

(Usher added that a collaboration with Michael Jackson and Atlanta rapper-singer T-Pain is in early stages. "It's been created, but it's not recorded. And as long as Michael is open to it, hey, anything goes."

NO!

PURLEASE Michael, don't doooooo it.

Aghhhhhhhh.

The only thing worse would be Akon and Chris Brown, aaghhh...

Last edited:
Who? Akon or Chris Brown? Niether of em' can sing, at least Usher can sing a little, but damn, none of em' deserve, imo.

Ohhhh GOD, he's worse then all of em'. Jesus, if he works with Michael, I'm gonna throw myself on the bed and cry. And then I'll go buy the album, cause Michael can turn sh*t to gold, lol.

He's got no talent. I like some of Britney's songs, doesn't mean she should work with Michael, lol.

Last edited:
I know I am not supposed to mention him but (and I refuse to open the link to see the rest) the lead line in RF's article is something to the effect of "the new mixes for Thriller 25 are out and guess what... Paul McCartney is erased from TGIM"

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

*runs and hides*

Last edited:
t-pain is on everybody and they momma's records... his songs are so dang catchy b/c they're made for third graders so of course you gonna remember every lyric to "buy you a drank"

look. i don't do the "NO! MJ DON'T WORK WITH HIM" rant... but this stuff has gone too far
:lol:

if that living legend squeezes his little butt into a recording studio with T-Pain, i'm gonna do something desperate... i'm gonna...

BUY JANET'S ALBUM IN PROTEST! :lol:

mike need to stop tripping with these young, fly-by-night simps and hook up with real musicians. whose dem dudes who work with mary j. blige? donny? robin thicke? somebody, anybody...just not these fake cats who need machines and voice modulators to make a dang record

t-pain is on everybody and they momma's records... his songs are so dang catchy b/c they're made for third graders so of course you gonna remember every lyric to "buy you a drank"

look. i don't do the "NO! MJ DON'T WORK WITH HIM" rant... but this stuff has gone too far
:lol:

if that living legend squeezes his little butt into a recording studio with T-Pain, i'm gonna do something desperate... i'm gonna...

BUY JANET'S ALBUM IN PROTEST! :lol:

mike need to stop tripping with these young, fly-by-night simps and hook up with real musicians. whose dem dudes who work with mary j. blige? donny? robin thicke? somebody, anybody...just not these fake cats who need machines and voice modulators to make a dang record

Maybe Rodney and MJ can finish this and not make it an instrumental:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XodXDKGtW0A

:listeningtomusic

But I feel ya.

My thing is, Michael can work with whoever he wants. But I'm just of the opinion that Michael deserves to be surrounded by people with actual talent. Michael won't gain anything from working with these people, only they'll benifit. I know the music will still be good, because Michael's involved, his talent will still be all over the thing, but I just think if he's gonna collaborate, he should work with people who are going to bring something good to the project. Personally, I'd like to see Michael do a record all by himself, since he's such a strong songwriter and he doesn't need any body elses sh*t. But whatever he does, ultimately, I'm not going to complain, not in the end. I'm just happy he's doing anything, honestly.

Last edited:
I know I am not supposed to mention him but (and I refuse to open the link to see the rest) the lead line in RF's article is something to the effect of "the new mixes for Thriller 25 are out and guess what... Paul McCartney is erased from TGIM"

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

*runs and hides*

:lol: I saw a link to a hip-hop site the other day and it was talking about T-25. Anyways there was the Thriller video after the articles, but it made me laugh in that they had put on the title 'Its Thriller B****!'.:lol:

Last edited:
Have I just been called a third grader? :blink:
well, maybe :D but guess what, that would make me a third grader, too

because She made us drinks to drink, we drunk them, got drunk is the dumbest lyric ever created but gosh darnit, i sing it everytime i hear it :rolleyes:

but again, mindless music like that is alright b/c sometimes you don't feel like something heavy... u just want to move your big dumb body and watch the brain cells leave you... even so, i don't want my favorite genius dumbing down his music to get a hit record with Teddy Pin Her A$# Down (my Lord, did i just type that?)

Okay well I was cool with Akon, I was cool with NeYo, I'm cool with Will, i'm cool with all of them cats.

But T Pain is a NO NO.

NO NO NO NO NONONOOOOOOOOOOOO

NO.

I dont think it'll fall through anyways, and Usher can keep hopin but i doubt it'll make it into the recording studio, and if it does, then I doubt it'll make it on the album lol.

I mean it's gotta be one HOT AZZ track for me to like anything with MJ & T-Pain in the same sentence.

OMG
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :x

No NO NO NO. lol

(still has faith in that MJ knows what he's doing lol)

:lol: I saw a link to a hip-hop site the other day and it was talking about T-25. Anyways there was the Thriller video after the articles, but it made me laugh in that they had put on the title 'Its Thriller B****!'.:lol:
lol ......10

well, maybe :D but guess what, that would make me a third grader, too

because She made us drinks to drink, we drunk them, got drunk is the dumbest lyric ever created but gosh darnit, i sing it everytime i hear it :rolleyes:

but again, mindless music like that is alright b/c sometimes you don't feel like something heavy... u just want to move your big dumb body and watch the brain cells leave you... even so, i don't want my favorite genius dumbing down his music to get a hit record with Teddy Pin Her A$# Down (my Lord, did i just type that?)

Well I have an advantage there. I have a hard time making out the words in songs if I haven't seen them written. I just assumed that I really wasn't hearing what I was hearing when I heard it. lol

Okay well I was cool with Akon, I was cool with NeYo, I'm cool with Will, i'm cool with all of them cats.

But T Pain is a NO NO.

NO NO NO NO NONONOOOOOOOOOOOO

NO.

I dont think it'll fall through anyways, and Usher can keep hopin but i doubt it'll make it into the recording studio, and if it does, then I doubt it'll make it on the album lol.

I mean it's gotta be one HOT AZZ track for me to like anything with MJ & T-Pain in the same sentence.

OMG
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :x

No NO NO NO. lol

(still has faith in that MJ knows what he's doing lol)

I take it its a No for you then J5master? ;) :lol:
I have decided not to sweat any of the collaborations until I hear them (for now anyways).

Last edited:
Well, one thing is for sure....ALL of these people can't work on this one album. I don't think we are gonna see all of these people. I think we are gonna see NeYo, John Legend and a rapper. That's it.

Back