One, Two, Three Punch!

Rasta Pasta

Proud Member
How did Michael come out swinging in the business arena (with his catalogs) in 2007?

Mijac Publishing
-Sly Stone's resurgence with tour and greatest hit release
-O Jay's touring and greatest hits release
-the success of Kanye West's sample of the song GOLDDIGGER

Sony/ATV
what a long list ........but I put a few..

-the hiring of Martin Bandier
-signing of songwriter Diane Warren
-controlling many of Cliff Richard's music with his 50th Anniv celebration
- having artists voted for the best album and song of the year for the Grammy's, CMA's, VMA's and AMA's
-owing the rights to the theme shows by Merv Griffin .. like Jeopardy
-exclusive writers, James Morrison, Gary Barlow and Noel Gallagher who were honored at this year's BRIT Awards which took place on February 14 in London.

..at the end of each year.. there are always some kind of list made by the media.. so why can't we do our own list..in relations to MJ's business dealings in the industry...

come on.. please add to the list??

Last edited:
A bit off topic but since I know you will be watching this thread Rasta...

Why is it that BMG music club is currently only carrying 3 of Michael's albums? They used to carry a lot more. What is the relationship between Sony, BMG, and Michael.

They actually have at least 5 albums by Joe Jackson btw.:eek:

A bit off topic but since I know you will be watching this thread Rasta...

Why is it that BMG music club is currently only carrying 3 of Michael's albums? They used to carry a lot more. What is the relationship between Sony, BMG, and Michael.

They actually have at least 5 albums by Joe Jackson btw.:eek:

Hey eternitys_child, I think it has to do with his agreement with Sony... and the dealings with his masters...I think Michael has a say in what albums can be used ..

I don't think we realize it .. BUT.. Michael is the one that got Mottola fired.. and Michael .. carries a LOT more weight in Sony now (post Mottola).. than many realize..

he holds the trumph card to the future of Sony/BMG earnings .. because the money is in the publishing.. and that's where Sony/BMG wants to go..

that Ebony magazine issue.. revealed alot...to me .. if you are the artist that earned a record company $1bil profit off one album.. ummmm??

Sony/BMG is about to 'throw down' some major cash in backing one Michael Jackson... this is my guess..

just to repeat.. a continuatin of his legacy is about to be written.. please don't miss it....

Last edited:
Hey eternitys_child, I think it has to do with his agreement with Sony... and the dealings with his masters...I think Michael has a say in what albums can be used ..

I don't think we realize it .. BUT.. Michael is the one that got Mottola fired.. and Michael .. carries a LOT more weight in Sony now (post Mottola).. than many realize..

he holds the trumph card to the future of Sony/BMG earnings .. because the money is in the publishing.. and that's where Sony/BMG wants to go..

that Ebony magazine issue.. revealed alot...to me .. if you are the artist that earned a record company $1bil profit off one album.. ummmm??

Sony/BMG is about to 'throw down' some major cash in backing one Michael Jackson... this is my guess..

just to repeat.. a continuatin of his legacy is about to be written.. please don't miss it....
Well it is very annoying. I still have free cds due from them and suddenly they don't carry Michael's. Less than a year ago they still had at least most of his albums. I wonder if they will carry Thriller 25. I don't see that there yet either. I think they have Vince, Number Ones and I forget which other one and that's it.

Really? Can you say more about it, please?

maybe later when I have more time .. but if you were around 2001 .. there was alot going on..

as for adding more to the MJ list

Sony/ATV.. had a big hit with

BEAUTIFUL GIRLS by Sean Kingston (up to #1 on the Hot 100) which samples the Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller/Ben E. King song STAND BY ME.

adding to the list

Jeff Wayne #1 DVD!
Jan 16, 2007

resize_image.php

In 1978 Jeff Wayne composed and produced one of the most groundbreaking and best-selling musical works of all time. In 2006 after much anticipation Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds was brought to the stage for the first time, playing to sold-out arenas across the UK.

The War of The Worlds: Live DVD is a spectacular mix of live music, theatre, multi-media and visual arts on a grand scale. It combines the brilliance of the original performers including Jeff Wayne, Justin Hayward, Chris Thompson and even the late Richard Burton along with a brand new cast, the 10-piece Black Smoke Band, the 48-piece ULLAdubULLA Strings and an unforgettable fully operating 30ft Martian Fighting Machine!

War Of The Worlds: Live DVD is out now.

www.thewaroftheworlds.com

http://www.sonyatv.com/en-uk/index.php/news/247

Michael gives credit to his fans stepping up to defend someone we love, MICHAEL. FOR TOMMY M. getting fired

maybe later when I have more time .. but if you were around 2001 .. there was alot going on..

I'm a longtime fan (about 18 years) but I didn't have Internet around 2001 so I don't know much about "Sony, Motolla and Michael".

I'm a longtime fan (about 18 years) but I didn't have Internet around 2001 so I don't know much about "Sony, Motolla and Michael".

its OK.. it was a very dark period... very frustrating times as a fan...

thing is .. of course the media never gave Michael any credit of deposing Mottolla.. but some artist on the label knew the deal and NAS wasn't afraid to say it..

ok.. ok.. I don't being the only one adding to the list

The Beatles' LOVE Cirque du Soliel Soundtrack Album!
Jan 21, 2007

resize_image.php

The soundtrack to The Beatles LOVE, The Beatles-Cirque du Soleil Las Vegas musical, is in stores now. The album features 26 newly created "mashups" of material from the group's original master tapes, creating a musical "tapestry" mixing elements from different Beatles songs to form entirely new pieces.

The Beatles' company, Apple, issued a description of the new album, explaining that, "... if you can imagine "Strawberry Fields Forever" beginning with John (Lennon's) original demo before going into an early take of the song and then climaxing in a musical collage including the piano solo from "In My Life" and the harpsichord pattern from "Piggies" or "Get Back," prefaced by the "A Hard Day's Night" opening guitar chord, the guitar and drum solos from "The End" and segued into "Glass Onion," you will begin to get the picture."

The project was compiled and produced by the group's legendary producer George Martin and his son Giles Martin at London's Abbey Road Studios, where the group recorded nearly their entire catalogue between 1962 and 1970.

The 26-track soundtrack to The Beatles LOVE includes the songs "Because," "Get Back," "Glass Onion," "I Am The Walrus," "Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing," "Blackbird/Yesterday," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows," "Octopus's Garden," "Lady Madonna," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "A Day In The Life," "Hey Jude," "All You Need Is Love," and others.

The Las Vegas partnership between the Beatles and Cirque du Soleil was spearheaded by the late George Harrison and Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberte, who became friends while following the Formula One racing circuit. It was Harrison who pitched the idea to Paul McCartney and went on to attend a Las Vegas Cirque performance with him in 2000, and Harrison's enthusiasm for the project convinced McCartney, Ringo Starr, and John Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, to agree to the project.

The album is released on Capitol in the U.S. and EMI in the rest of the world.
http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/197

still adding..

Sony/ATV songs featured by legendary recording artists!
Jan 24, 2007

Sony/ATV Music songs are featured on currently charting albums and new releases by some of the music industry's legendary recording artists:

Music For Lovers
Dinah Washington's Music For Lovers contains the Pop/Standard classic, "I'm Gonna Laugh You Right Out Of My Life", written by Cy Coleman and Joseph McCarthy. The performance is "pure Dinah" from 1962! The song was introduced originally by Nat King Cole in 1956.​

Into White
Carly Simon's refreshing vocals are complimented by soft acoustic instrumentation and a wonderfully understated arrangement on her performance of "Blackbird". This song was written by Lennon & McCartney and introduced by The Beatles in 1968 on The White Album.​

I Love You
Diana Ross' sensitve performances and gentle productions highlight this collection of romantic love songs by Ms. Ross. Included is the classic Lennon & McCartney composition, "I Will", introduced by The Beatles in 1968 on The White Album.​

Ray Sings - Basie Swings
Ray Charles and Count Basie are at their singing-swinging best in this amazing collection of big band covers of some of Ray Charles' most popular recordings.

"Busted" written by renowned Country music songwriter, Harlan Howard, was a Country hit for Johnny Cash in 1963. Ray picked it up and reached #3 and #4 in Billboard's R&B and Pop Music charts that same year.

"Crying Time" written by Country music's own Buck Owens and released by him as a "B" side in 1966. Ray covered it and reached #5 and #6 in Billboard's R&B and Pop Music charts and #1 for 3 weeks on the Adult Contemporary chart that same year.

"I Can't Stop Loving You" written by the legendary Country music singer and songwriter, Don Gibson, is undoubtedly Ray Charles' biggest hit in his prestigious and longstanding career. It reached #1 for 5 weeks in Billboard's Pop chart, #1 for 3 weeks in the Adult Contemporary chart and #1 for 10 weeks in the R&B chart in 1962.

"The Long and Winding Road", written by John Lennon & Paul McCartney, was a #1 hit for The Beatles in 1970. While Ray Charles never released it as a single he had great admiration for the Lennon & McCartney catalog and included many of their songs on other albums and singles.​

Still The Same: Great Rock Classics Of Our Time
Rod Stewart's cover of "Everything I Own" is one of the featured cuts on this new album. It was written by David Gates and was a major hit for Bread in 1971 reaching #3 on both Billboard's Hot 100 and Adult Contemporary charts that same year. Rod's new treatment is inspired and refreshing.​

Duets: An American Classic
Tony Bennett and Country music super-star Tim McGraw sing the Country-Pop Standard, "Cold, Cold Heart". Written and recorded by Hank Williams, Sr., it was a major hit for Hank in 1951 (#1 Country, #27 Pop). Tony covered the Hank Williams recording and reached #1 on Billboard's Pop Music chart and held that position for 6 weeks that same year!​

Take The Weather With You
Jimmy Buffett, Margaritaville's favorite son, features "Bama Breeze" written by Sony/ATV Music exclusive writer Josh Kear, and "Silver Wings" written and recorded in 1969 by the recipient of this year's BMI Icon award, Merle Haggard. Although it was never released as a single, it nevertheless became one of Haggard's best known songs.​

All Jacked Up
Gretchen Wilson steps out of her role as Country music's reigning Redneck Woman to deliver an amazing performance of the early 1946 Billie Holiday classic, "Good Morning Heartache".​

The Greatest Songs of the Sixties
Barry Manilow brings his own special touch to the timeless Lennon & McCartney love song, "And I Love Her". Released as a single by The Beatles in 1964, the song has now logged over 4 million performances.​

Gold: A 50th Anniversary Christmas
Johnny Mathis This wonderful aniversary collection of Johnny's most popular Christmas songs includes the classic Robert Wells and Mel Tormé composition, "The Christmas Song" also known as "Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire".​

Songbird
Willie Nelson sings Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah", one of Leonard's most covered songs; Harlan Howard's "Yours Love" made famous by Waylon Jennings in 1968; and Willie's own "Sad Songs and Waltzes".​

Hooker
John Lee Hooker This amazing gathering of 84 performances by this legendary blues guitarist, writer and singer includes recordings from 1929 through 1998. Opening the collection is John Lee's classic #1 R&B hit from 1949, "Boogie Chillen'." Closing the collection is John Lee's re-record performance of same with legendary rock guitarist, writer and singer Eric Clapton.​

Before Me
Gladys Knight joins with renowned record producers, Tommy LiPuma and Phil Ramone and the renowned sound/mixing engineer extraordinaire Al Schmitt to deliver wonderful Jazz performances of the songs that were Gladys' earliest musical influences. Every single song here is already a bona fide hit, and Knight does them all justice in a way few soul singers could. Wonderfully relaxing, classy, and pleasantly void of vocal histrionics. Featured in this collection is Gladys' singing the early 1946 Billie Holiday classic, "Good Morning Heartache".​
http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/190

Is this the kinda stuff? I am afraid I am messing up your sequence. You are doing January first it looks like.

http://billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i583eeba09f61346044ac3170e1230ed1?imw=Y
Sony/ATV Music Publishing Inks Rotem
September 03, 2007 - Publishing

By Susan Butler, N.Y.

Sony/ATV Music Publishing has signed a worldwide co-publishing deal with Jonathan "JR" Rotem, who produced and co-wrote Sean Kingston's No. 1 hit "Beautiful Girls" and Rihanna's No. 1 "SOS."

Kingston is the first artist signed to Rotem's label, Beluga Heights, a venture with Epic Records. Charting songs co-written by Rotem, who lives in Los Angeles, also include 50 Cent's "Best Friend" featuring Olivia, Lil' Kim's "Whoa" and Rick Ross' "Push It." He has also penned songs for Natasha Bedingfield, Destiny's Child, Snoop Dogg and many others.

"JR is a proven producer, writer, and someone with a great eye for talent," says Sony/ATV chairman/CEO Marty Bandier. "We are proud to count JR as the newest member of our family."

"Beautiful Girls" includes portions of "Stand By Me," a copyright now controlled by Sony/ATV after its acquisition of the Leiber and Stoller catalog earlier this year.

Very good thread RastaPasta. To be honest I always look forward to your updates and info on Sony/MJ cat. The whole thing kinda goes over my head a bit! :lol: I am afraid I don't have anything to add. But its great to have a thread to come too and learn more from you folks. :)

Very good thread RastaPasta. To be honest I always look forward to your updates and info on Sony/MJ cat. The whole thing kinda goes over my head a bit! :lol: I am afraid I don't have anything to add. But its great to have a thread to come too and learn more from you folks. :)

you are welcome.. Michael is such a multi-dimensional artist.. its good to know of the business side ..

its combat the mis-info out there..

add more to that list...

Rise Against gains momentum at Modern Rock radio!
Jan 28, 2007

resize_image.php

The Rise Against single, "Prayer of the Refugee," from their CD, The Sufferer and the Witness, is now in rotation on MTV2. The single is currently #13* on Billboard's Alternative Airplay/Modern Rock radio chart.

View the new Rise Against video, "Prayer Of The Refugee".

Rise Against's second Geffen Records release, The Sufferer and the Witness, mixes classic punk energy with infectious hooks and a socially-conscious world view.

The first single, "Ready To Fall", from their first CD, Siren Song of the Counter Culture, was among the most added records at Modern Rock stations having been added to 30+ stations in the song's first three weeks at radio. The video for this first single was added at Fuse Video, in rotation at MTV2, and to the MTV2 Rock countdown. The CD, Siren Song of the Counter Culture, has now scanned over 400K.

Rise Against was featured in the June 2006 issue of Alternative Press (AP) and the band's lead singer, Tim McIlrath, was featured on the cover of the Warped Tour Issue, as the band headlined the tour with AFI all summer before hooking up with Thursday and Billy Talent this Fall. In addition, there was a one-page "Breaker" feature on the band in the November 2006 issue Rolling Stone.

People magazine's review gave the album ,Siren Song of the Counter Culture, 3 (out of 4) stars and is now certified GOLD in Canada and has been in the national album Top 40 for 32 weeks. Sales in international markets, such as the UK, Germany and Australia are increasing steadily

How We Survive - The Rise Against Documentary DVD will be released (bundled with CD and separately) on DEC. 5 with a Holiday sales program at the retail level.

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/199

so more to add to the list.....

John Mellencamp's Freedom's Road debuts at #5!
Jan 29, 2007

resize_image.php

The new CD from Sony/ATV Music exclusive writer John Mellencamp, Freedom's Road, (Universal/Republic) is in stores now.

This is his first CD in 5 years that contains all new and original songs written entirely by John. This is mainstream rock & roll at its best with all of the key elements: love, desire, disappointment, patriotism, great acoustic and electric guitars, big drums, great hooks - it has it all! Reviews are excellent and the CD debuted on SoundScan's Top 200 Album Sales chart at #5*!

Leading the CD is the new single, "Our Country", which was Billboard's Air Power pick first week out and is now #17 on Billboard's Adult Airplay chart while "Someday", also from the Freedom's Road CD,is #22* on Billboard's AAA Airplay chart.

For more about John Mellencamp click here

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/220

what did NAS say?

a lot of bleeps in the article but NAS was talking about artist needing to have more control and not let the record label control them.. saying that when he sold a certain about of records.. Sony offered to buy him a house.. and he declined the offer and paid for his own house..

he said one artist that has power is Michael .. said he's gangsta and got Mottola fired.. said there were so many problems for all the artist under Mottola...

Last edited:
more to add............

Mikkel Eriksen's Chart Success!
Jan 30, 2007

resize_image.php

Sony/ATV Music exclusive writer, Mikkel Eriksen's "Irreplaceable", as recorded by Beyonce, (Columbia), enjoyed 10 weeks at #1 on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles chart and is currently:

• #14 on the Hot 100 Singles chart with 21 weeks on the chart;
  • #10 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart with 21 weeks on the chart;
  • #14 on the Pop 100 after 5 weeks at #1 with 21 weeks on the chart;
  • #21 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart after six weeks at #1 with 21 weeks on that chart;
  • The track was the Hot 100's greatest airplay gainer for 6 weeks and continues to hold the #11 spot on Billboard's Pop 100 Airplay chart after 7 weeks at #1 and 18 weeks on that chart.
Mikkel's successes as a writer and producer are impressive to say the least. Last year Mikkel co-wrote and produced the following Hit singles:

"So Sick"​

"Sexy Love"​

for Ne-Yo (Def Jam)​

"Let Me",​

"Unfaithful"​

"We Ride"​

for Rihanna (Def Jam)​
Further to the massive success of "Irreplaceable" another songs co-written by Mikkel and currently enjoying chart action are:
  • Billboard's Hot 100 Singles
  • "Walk Away (Remember Me)" - Paula Deanda (Arista)

SoundScan's Top 200 Albums
  • "Irreplaceable" - Beyonce
    Album: B'Day (Columbia)
  • "Sexy Love" - Ne-Yo
    Album: Now 23 (Sony)
  • "Unfaithful" - Rihanna
    Album: Now 23 (Sony)
  • "Not Going Back" - NAS
    Album: Hip Hop Is Dead (Def Jam/Columbia)
  • "Walk Away" (Remember Me)" - Paula Deanda
    Album: Paula Deanda (Arista)
  • "Cold" - Paula Deanda
    Album: Paula Deanda (Arista)
  • "Unfaithful" - Rihanna
    Album: A Girl Like Me (Def Jam)
  • "We Ride" - Rihanna
  • "If It's Lovin' That You Want, Part 2" - Rihanna
  • "Let It Rain" - Jo Jo
    Album: The High Road (Background)

Last edited:
more to add,,

Rascal Flatts - Certified Quadruple Platinum!
Feb 01, 2007

resize_image.php

Rascal Flatts’ latest CD, Me & My Gang has been certified quadruple platinum by the RIAA for sales of more than 3.7 million units. The quadtruple platinum certification took place 10 months after its initial release on April 4th, 2006.

Me & My Gang remains the biggest debut of last year (2006), selling more than 721,000 units in its first week of release and held the #1 position on the Nielsen SoundScan's Top 200 Album Sales chart for the three weeks following its release and has remained among the Top 10 in Nielsen SoundScan's Country Album Sales chart for 11 months! The album moves to #22 on SoundScan's Top 200 Album Sales chart with current total scans at 3,700,000+!

Adding to the glory - Rascal Flatts was named Top Vocal Group of the Year at the ACM Awards 2006 in Las Vegas - and the current Me & My Gang tour has now exceeded 1 million in attendance.
http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/110

business wise..2007 was very eventful.. for Mike $$$$$$$$$

Sony/ATV Congratulates John Mayer!
Feb 12, 2007

resize_image.php

Sony/ATV Music Publishing extends its sincerest congratulations to our exclusive writer, John Mayer, for his double win at the 49th Annual Grammy Awards held on February 11 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

John received Grammy Awards in each of the following categories:

Best Pop Vocal Performance - Male
"Waiting On The World To Change"
Writer: John Mayer

Best Pop Vocal Album
Continuum (Columbia/Aware)
All songs written by John Mayer​

John's Grammy winning CD, Continuum, (Columbia/Aware) is now showing scans in excess of 29,000+ weekly, and is currently at #18 on SoundScan's Top 200 Album Sales chart with overall sales now at more than 1,485,000!

The album features 11 wonderful new songs written by John with excellent reviews by music industry critics as well as buyers. The CD includes John's current Grammy Award winning single, "Waiting On The World To Change", which is now #33 on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles chart, #1* on Billboard's Adult Airplay chart, and #32 on SoundScan's Top Digital Tracks chart. In addition Billboard's AAA chart lists 2 more songs from the Continuum CD: "Belief" at #13* and "Gravity", at #24.

For more on John Mayer click here

he said one artist that has power is Michael .. said he's gangsta

Nas' comment is echoed by the recent comments made by Buster Rhymes. LOL!

Buster was also just talking about how powerful Michael is in the music business. The folks within the music business know what's up when it comes to Michael Jackson.

Buster said Michael is the "illest". "If you really want to be a player in the music game, you need to OWN music." Buster knows what time it is. LOL!

Last edited:
Nas' comment is echoed by the recent comments made by Buster Rhymes. LOL!

Buster was also just talking about how powerful Michael is in the music business. The folks within the music business know what's up when it comes to Michael Jackson.

Buster said Michael is the "illest". "If you really want to be a player in the music game, you need to OWN music." Buster knows what time it is. LOL!

yest Busta knows .. what time it is.. especially since Mike now owns his stuff since it was all under Famous Music..

Akon is another that knows .. becuz just like Busta.. his stuff was all under Famous Music.. and now we all know that all Famous Music is now Sony/ATV...

more to add..

Sony/ATV 49th Annual Grammy Winners!
Feb 13, 2007

resize_image.php

Sony/ATV Music Publishing exclusive writers and songs were honored at the 49th Annual Grammy Awards ceremonies held February 11 at The Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

The winners are:

• Best Male Pop Vocal Performance
    "Waiting On The World To Change" - John Mayer (Columbia/Aware)
  • Best Pop Vocal Album
    Continuum - John Mayer (Columbia/Aware)
  • Best Female Country Vocal Performance
    "Jesus, Take The Wheel" - Carrie Underwood (Arista)
    Writer: Brett James
  • Best Country Song
  • Best Rock Or Rap Gospel Album
    Turn Around - Jonny Lang (A&M Records)
    Writer: Shannon Sanders co-produced and co-wrote 9 songs on the CD.

Following is a list of all Sony/ATV Music exclusive writers who received Nominations for the 49th Annual Grammy Awards. We are very proud of them all!

SONY/ATV MUSIC'S 49th ANNUAL GRAMMY NOMINEES 2006

• *Contributing Sony/ATV writer
  • Album of The Year:
    John Mayer*
  • Song Of The Year:
    Jesus Take The Wheel - Carrie Underwood (Arista)
    Brett James*
  • Best Female Pop Vocal Performance:
    Stupid Girls - Pink (La Face/Zomba)
    Billy Mann*

Black Horse And The Cherry Tree - KT Tunstall (Relentless/Virgin)
    Katie Tunstall* (SMP UK)
  • Best Male Pop Vocal Performance:
    Waiting On The World To Change - John Mayer (Columbia/Aware)
    John Mayer*
  • Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal:
    Stickwitu - The Pussycat Dolls (A &M Records)
    Robert Palmer* (SMP UK)
  • Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals:
    Hips Don't Lie - Shakira & Wyclef Jean (Epic)
    Wyclef Jean*
  • Best Pop Vocal Album:
    John Mayer*
  • Back To Basics - Christina Aguilera (RCA)
    Bruno Coulais*, Christophe Barratier* (SMP France)
  • Best Dance Recording:
    I'm With Stupid - Pet Shop Boys (Rhino Entertainment)
    Neil Tennant*, Chris Lowe* (SMP UK)
  • Best Electronic Dance Album:
    Fundamental - Pet Shop Boys (Rhino Entertainment)
  • Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album:
    Wintersong - Sarah McLachlan (Arista)
    Sarah McLachlan*
  • Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance:
    Nausea - Beck (Interscope Records)
    Beck Hanson*
  • Best Hard Rock Performance:
    Lonely Day - System Of A Down (American/Columbia)
    Serj Tankian*, Daron Malakian*
  • Best Metal Performance:
    Redneck - Lamb Of God (Epic)
    David Randall Blythe*, Mark Morton*, Will Adler*, John Campbell*, Chris Adler*
  • Best Rock Album:
    Try! - John Mayer Trio (Aware/Columbia)
    John Mayer*
  • Best Female R & B Performance:
    I am Not My Hair - India Arie (Motown)
    Shannon Sanders*
  • Best Male R & B Performance:
    So Sick - Ne-Yo (Def Jam)
    Mikkel Eriksen* (SMP UK)
  • Best R & B Song:
    I Am Not My Hair - India Arie (Motown)
    Shannon Sanders*
  • Best R & B Album:
    Testimony: Vol. 1 Life & Relationship - India Arie (Motown)
    Shannon Sanders*
  • Best Contemporary R & B Album:
    In My Own Words - Ne-Yo (Def Jam)
    Mikkel Eriksen*(SMP UK)
  • Best Female Country Vocal Performance:
    Jesus, Take The Wheel - Carrie Underwood (Arista)
    Brett James*
  • Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal:
    Leave The Pieces - The Wreckers (Maverick)
    Jennifer Hanson*
  • Best Country Song:
    Brett James*
  • Best Rock or Rap Gospel Album:
    Turn Around - Jonny Lang (A&M)
    Shannon Sanders*
  • Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media:
    Cars - Soundtrack (Walt Disney)
    Hank Williams Sr.*
  • Grey's Anatomy - Volume 2 (Hollywood)
    Katie Tunstall*

more to add..

Sony/ATV 49th Annual Grammy Winners!
Feb 13, 2007

resize_image.php

Sony/ATV Music Publishing exclusive writers and songs were honored at the 49th Annual Grammy Awards ceremonies held February 11 at The Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

The winners are:
  • Best Male Pop Vocal Performance
    "Waiting On The World To Change" - John Mayer (Columbia/Aware)
  • Best Pop Vocal Album
  • Best Female Country Vocal Performance
  • Best Country Song
  • Best Rock Or Rap Gospel Album
    Turn Around - Jonny Lang (A&M Records)
    Writer: Shannon Sanders co-produced and co-wrote 9 songs on the CD.
Following is a list of all Sony/ATV Music exclusive writers who received Nominations for the 49th Annual Grammy Awards. We are very proud of them all!

SONY/ATV MUSIC'S 49th ANNUAL GRAMMY NOMINEES 2006

• *Contributing Sony/ATV writer
  • Album of The Year:
    John Mayer*
  • Song Of The Year:
    Jesus Take The Wheel - Carrie Underwood (Arista)
    Brett James*
  • Best Female Pop Vocal Performance:
    Stupid Girls - Pink (La Face/Zomba)
    Billy Mann*

Black Horse And The Cherry Tree - KT Tunstall (Relentless/Virgin)
    Katie Tunstall* (SMP UK)
  • Best Male Pop Vocal Performance:
    Waiting On The World To Change - John Mayer (Columbia/Aware)
    John Mayer*
  • Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal:
    Stickwitu - The Pussycat Dolls (A &M Records)
    Robert Palmer* (SMP UK)
  • Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals:
    Hips Don't Lie - Shakira & Wyclef Jean (Epic)
    Wyclef Jean*
  • Best Pop Vocal Album:
    John Mayer*
  • Back To Basics - Christina Aguilera (RCA)
    Bruno Coulais*, Christophe Barratier* (SMP France)
  • Best Dance Recording:
    I'm With Stupid - Pet Shop Boys (Rhino Entertainment)
  • Best Electronic Dance Album:
    Fundamental - Pet Shop Boys (Rhino Entertainment)
  • Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album:
    Wintersong - Sarah McLachlan (Arista)
    Sarah McLachlan*
  • Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance:
    Nausea - Beck (Interscope Records)
    Beck Hanson*
  • Best Hard Rock Performance:
    Lonely Day - System Of A Down (American/Columbia)
    Serj Tankian*, Daron Malakian*
  • Best Metal Performance:
    Redneck - Lamb Of God (Epic)
    David Randall Blythe*, Mark Morton*, Will Adler*, John Campbell*, Chris Adler*
  • Best Rock Album:
    Try! - John Mayer Trio (Aware/Columbia)
    John Mayer*
  • Best Female R & B Performance:
    I am Not My Hair - India Arie (Motown)
    Shannon Sanders*
  • Best Male R & B Performance:
    So Sick - Ne-Yo (Def Jam)
    Mikkel Eriksen* (SMP UK)
  • Best R & B Song:
    I Am Not My Hair - India Arie (Motown)
    Shannon Sanders*
  • Best R & B Album:
    Testimony: Vol. 1 Life & Relationship - India Arie (Motown)
    Shannon Sanders*
  • Best Contemporary R & B Album:
    In My Own Words - Ne-Yo (Def Jam)
    Mikkel Eriksen*(SMP UK)
  • Best Female Country Vocal Performance:
    Brett James*
  • Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal:
    Leave The Pieces - The Wreckers (Maverick)
    Jennifer Hanson*
  • Best Country Song:
    Brett James*
  • Best Rock or Rap Gospel Album:
    Turn Around - Jonny Lang (A&M)
    Shannon Sanders*
  • Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media:
    Cars - Soundtrack (Walt Disney)
    Hank Williams Sr.*
  • Grey's Anatomy - Volume 2 (Hollywood)
    Katie Tunstall*
http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/230

more...........

Fall Out Boy - America's Hottest Band!
Feb 16, 2007

resize_image.php

Sony/ATV Music exclusive writers, Fall Out Boy, debuted at #1 on SoundScan's Top 200 Album chart with their new CD, Infinity On High (Island), currently at #4.

The CD contains 14 new songs written by Fall Out Boy members: Andew Hurley, Patrick Stump, Joseph Trohman and Peter Wentz. Included on the CD is the current hit single, "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race" which debuted at:
#1* on SoundScan's Top Digital Tracks chart.
#2* on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles chart.
#2* on Billboard's Top Pop chart.

Current Activity:

#6 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart.
#4 SoundScan's Top Digital Tracks chart. (#1 for 4 straight weeks. Over 600K sold. 91,000+ downloads continuing weekly.)
#1 video at MTV2. #4 at MTV. #2 at MTV Hits.
Just completed a remix with Kanye West - available soon.

For more about Fall Out Boy please visit our website's featured Writers section.

Click here to view the new Fall Out Boy video, "This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race".
http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/231

more to come

Elliott Yamin - New Single & Debut Album Available Now
Mar 02, 2007

resize_image.php

The new single from Sony/ATV Music exclusive writer/artist and American Idol finalist, Elliott Yamin, is available now. The title is "Wait For You".
Click here to listen!

Elliott's first single, “Movin On”, debuted at #61* on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles chart, and at #27 on SoundScan's Top Digital Tracks chart. It is available from all digital service providers.

Elliott's self-titled debut album, Elliott Yamin, has also now been released and is available in stores everywhere. Yamin worked closely with his music publisher, Sony/ATV Music Publishing, on the writing and production of the album, and the two parties will similarly cooperate in the marketing of the project.

"This is an ideal situation that enables Elliott to have real creative and marketing input over the music that he produces," manager Jeff Rabhan said. The deal will also allow Yamin "to participate as a meaningful partner in the album's financial success," Rabhan said.

"I'm excited to get my music out to my fans, and I'm thrilled to be back in the studio working on original music," Yamin said.

"We are very happy to help Elliott achieve his vision and bring his music to his strong fan base,” said Danny Strick, President, Sony/ATV Music Publishing. “This project is a natural development of our role as a modern day publisher, helping our writers to reach the broadest audience."

Yamin recently finished his nationwide American Idol tour, performing live in front of half a million fans. He’s planning a solo tour for spring/summer 2007.

He is represented by Three Ring Projects and Pulse Recording
http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/221

some more..

Introducing The Leiber & Stoller Catalog
Apr 26, 2007

resize_image.php

Sony/ATV has acquired one of the most sought after publishing catalogs, the songs of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller.

Leiber and Stoller wrote, arranged and produced some of the most memorable songs in American music, including Elvis Presley's "Jailhouse Rock", " the Drifters' "On Broadway," Wilbert Harrison's "Kansas City" and the Clovers' "Love Potion No. 9." They also wrote most of the major hits by the Coasters, including "Yakety Yak" and "Charlie Brown."

"It was a gift from heaven to arrive and have Leiber and Stoller here, probably two of the most prolific songwriters of all time," says Marty Bandier, Sony / ATV chairman/CEO.

The songwriting duo met in 1950 and soon began working together. Jerry wrote the lyrics and Mike wrote the music. Presley recorded more than 20 of their songs.

Leiber and Stoller have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (1987), the Songwriters' Hall of Fame (1985) and the Record Producers' Hall.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO HIGHLIGHTED SELECTIONS

Back