12*29*07:MJ News *~ Michael attending Jay-Z's Grandopening of his club in Las Vegas?

Dorothy_Marie

Proud Member
Good Morning everyone! Right now I think I might have some news about Michael possibly attending Jay-z's grandopening of his 40/40 club in Las Vegas. I encountered an article but can't get to it all because it requires a supscription but I have part of the article where it has names of possible guests I suppose and Michael's name is on it.

In other news it looks as though Michael is being sued yet again by a music company for copy right infringement in using the TV show Different Strokes theme song. Michael is not the only one being sued though looks as though Will Smith, Sony BMG, and Universial Music Group are added to the suit.

Michael Jackson News:

Grand Opening of Jay-Z's 40/40 Club in Las Vegas

Grand Opening of Jay-Z's 40/40 Club in Las Vegas
[SIZE=-1]StreetInsider.com (subscription), MI - 10 hours ago[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]About 40/40 Club:
The 40/40 Club, named after one of sport's most prestigious achievements -- 40 home runs and 40 stolen bases in the same season, combines a multi-level ultra sports bar with a chic lounge all under the direction of hip-hop mogul Jay-Z. Providing the ultimate in sports and entertainment, the 40/40 Club will feature an eclectic menu including The Picnic (fried deviled eggs and southern-fried chicken sticks with the special 40/40 sauce), signature 40/40 burgers, and wings amongst other items. The sports memorabilia amidst the lavish gold and platinum decor will serve as the perfect backdrop for the ultra luxurious sports bar. For more information visit http://www.the4040club.com.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I think this is part of their possible guest list:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]... Foxx**Johnny Gill**Judge Greg Mathis**Lebron James**Magic Johnson**Michael Jackson**Mos Def**Ne-Yo**Talib Kweli** The-Dream**Timbaland**Will. ...[/SIZE]

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/5409692.html

Suit says artists ignored Different Strokes copyright

Artists including Michael Jackson and Will Smith and distributors Sony BMG Music Entertainment and Universal Music Group have been sued for copyright infringement for the use of the song Different Strokes.
Sylvester Thompson of Cook County, Ill., and Sly-Zel Music Co. and Twilight Record Co. claim in a complaint filed Friday in federal court in Chicago that since 1991 the defendants were "substantially copying, publicly performing, making and distributing or authorizing the making and distributing" of records and sharing the proceeds from the use of the song.
The other defendants named in the complaint are the estate of Tupac Shakur, KRS One and Boogie Down Production (aka Lawrence Parker), Peedi Crakk & Young Chris, Mijac Music, EMI/Capitol Records, Zomba Enterprises, Amaru Entertainment and Universal Publishing.
The plaintiffs asked the court to prohibit the performers and music companies from making or distributing records that may further infringe on the song's copyright, first issued in 1967. They also seek unspecified damages.

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

http://new.savannahnow.com/node/422299

Iconic shades still sporty, assertive

MELISSA MAGSAYSAY | Saturday, December 29, 2007 at 12:30 am

Mention aviator sunglasses and "Top Gun" might be the first thing that comes to mind. But a close second should be Ray-Ban, the company that originated the style 70 years ago.
Modeled after military-issue goggles, aviators were developed for pilots who needed anti-glare glasses. They became popular with civilians in the late 1960s and early 1970s, only to be eclipsed by the Ray-Ban Wayfarer in the 1980s.
In Hollywood, aviators never strayed too far from the spotlight. They've shaded the famous faces of Robert Redford, Michael Jackson and Angelina Jolie. They are a perennial classic on the runways too, at Michael Kors and Gucci. And although aviators do get updated with oversized lenses and sleeker materials, their sloping frames always will accentuate the cheekbones.
Aviators are sporty and assertive. (Why do you think they are a police officer favorite?) The shiny metal rims go with everything. And because the recent revival of the Wayfarer is now waning, what better time to shift the focus from that winning style to another classic?
To mark the anniversary, Ray-Ban is releasing 25,000 pairs of 22 karat gold-plated "Ultra" aviators at $485, available at Bloomingdale's and Saks Fifth Avenue. Quite a jump from the original $129 price tag.
Also at the high end, Chloe and Lanvin have hot versions for spring.
There's no gold-plating or engraved serial number on Roxy's "G&T" glasses, but for $95 they are sturdy enough, and the little plastic nose guards don't wiggle around.
Mall stores Aldo and Zara are making excellent versions in a rich gold hue at $12.99 and $35, respectively.
The best deal we found was on the wire rack at a 76 gas station. For $5.99, these gold specs are a dead ringer for Ray-Bans, as long as you can look past the malleable metal and lack of UV protection. At this rate, you can buy a pair for home, the office and the plane, er, car.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pickford29dec29,1,5161324.story?coll=la-headlines-california

Drama grips sale of Pickford Oscars

Once or twice a year a statuette goes up for sale. The best picture Oscar for "How Green Was My Valley" sold at Christie's in 2004 for $95,600. In 1999, Michael Jackson set the record for most money ever paid: $1.54 million for the best picture Oscar for "Gone With the Wind."

Re: 12*29*07:MJ News *~ Michael attending Jay-Z's Grandopening of his club in Las Veg

:p about the 40/40 club, again, we'll have to wait and see.

Re: 12*29*07:MJ News *~ Michael attending Jay-Z's Grandopening of his club in Las Veg

The last i read the 40/40 club in Vegas hadn't passed inspection, it'll be interesting if they have things together in place by Monday night.

have been sued for copyright infringement for the use of the song Different Strokes.
I wonder where, and in what ways/songs was this used. Who knew?
And if true, why would these artists not adhere to the rules and risk being sued?

And eeeewwwww @ fried deviled eggs.

Thanks for the news Dorothy.
Happy New year!:D

If he goes there he wont be at the JD thing for J5 lol

Sony would have had to get the rights to the song in order to use it. I've never heard of them stealing anything before. Why would they start now? This person is most likely only going after Michael because of his ties to Sony. I also wonder why it took this guy 16 years to sue. Has he been sitting back all this time and letting the alleged issue slide until now? Why is it that folks want to wait years to complain about things like this? Something stinks about this lawsuit to me.

Last edited:

hmmm! about 40/40 it would be cool if true.. But also could be a way to get the GRAND OPENNING 'POPPIN'.. Just saying he will go will get a lot of talk and attention.. Even if he's really not going to be there..

As far as the lawsuite. STUPID! :mad:

Artists including Michael Jackson and Will Smith and distributors Sony BMG Music Entertainment and Universal Music Group have been sued for copyright infringement for the use of the song Different Strokes.

All I can say is...

'Whatchoo talkin' about Willis? :lol:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

He'll be at the JD thing. Jay-Z's club failed inspection in Vegas. :lol:

I'm only saying that because it could very well be another rumor again. Please don't go asking Ray-Ray for sh*t either! You're not getting a cookie after she responds either.

I just found out that this grand opening is supposed to take place tomorrow night. So we might need to keep our eyes peeled to the internet for any reports (if it is true).

He'll be at the JD thing. Jay-Z's club failed inspection in Vegas. :lol:

I'm only saying that because it could very well be another rumor again. Please don't go asking Ray-Ray for sh*t either! You're not getting a cookie after she responds either.

:rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin:

Anyways I doubt that MJ will appear. We just have to wait and see.

Sony would have had to get the rights to the song in order to use it. I've never heard of them stealing anything before. Why would they start now? This person is most likely only going after Michael because of his ties to Sony. I also wonder why it took this guy 16 years to sue. Has he been sitting back all this time and letting the alleged issue slide until now? Why is it that folks want to wait years to complain about things like this? Something stinks about this lawsuit to me.

good point.... its seems the media seem to remember Michael's publishing ownership when it suits them.. ummm??..

about the 40/40 Club.. a kind of think.. there is some truth to it..but not holding my breathe..

Last edited:

]oh just got the Jet mag.. and loving the article..

Will.i.am.. said it took him a year to get over being star struck...when working with Mike..and they reaffirm that there is going to be a new album .. but the release date is still secret...

sorry.. I had to put this quote from the Rev. Jessie Jackson about Michael

"He might be light on his feet, but he is not fragile, he’s tough..

That toughness extends to his business acumen. He’s also a very astute businessman…
No artist has climbed the levels of financial control that Michael has. He has made it part of his business script to buy more catalogs – The Beatles, some of Elvis – this is beyond the imagination of most other artists, ever.”

Last edited:

I've read something too about permits of the club not being issued the right way and that the opening can't go on. But who knows.

Maybe MJ's going club hoppin :lol:

We'll see.... T4P

whens the opening of the club cant see it in the article.

and whatever re that lawsuit sounds like some looney trying to get some publcity

Tomorrow I think....

Yes, it's tomorrow whenever the grand opening of Jay-Z's club is supposed to open, but without permits or whatever who knows what is going to happen. ;)

http://www.lvrj.com/business/12880122.html

THE STRIP: Palazzo's soft start delayed

County inspectors testing systems; permits not issued yet

While the Palazzo is unable to commit to a soft-opening date, music mogul Jay-Z's 40/40 Club, a sports-themed restaurant at the Palazzo, is still planning to open Sunday night, according to club spokeswoman Alissa Kelly.

So Michael could go to Jay-Z's party on Sunday night; then turn around and go to JD's on Monday night.

Last edited:

http://www.lvrj.com/business/12880122.html

THE STRIP: Palazzo's soft start delayed

County inspectors testing systems; permits not issued yet

While the Palazzo is unable to commit to a soft-opening date, music mogul Jay-Z's 40/40 Club, a sports-themed restaurant at the Palazzo, is still planning to open Sunday night, according to club spokeswoman Alissa Kelly.

So Michael could go to Jay-Z's party on Sunday night; then turn around and go to JD's on Monday night.

Thank you for that HSE. :) Seems as though we might see Michael. ^_^

rumour is JD is to be named the next CEO of Def Jam .. so I wouldn't be surprised if Michael does make it to JD's New Year's party.. and aslo JayZ's party...

the last

I just don't see Michael being at any of these shindigs!

I just don't see Michael being at any of these shindigs!

Well ya never know, he went to Prince whatshisface's party and Jesse Jacksons. He's also been to a 70's themed costume party with Chris Tucker...so who knows lol

Well, he is in town. We'll see though.

-D

I take it there is no news so far? Keep us posted peeps.

Wasn't MJ in Vegas with his children about a week or two ago? You never know, he MIGHT attend this party.....:shifty:

Back