Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1009

Thread: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

   
  1. #991
    Points: 49,064, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Nibiru
    Posts
    8,530
    Points
    49,064
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 666 Posts

    Default Muhammad Ali 1995



  2. #992
    Points: 19,250, Level: 87
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Tony R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,865
    Points
    19,250
    Level
    87
    Thanks
    457
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 990 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    Bumping this as now we're all loved up in one music thread again. Hopefully this becomes the only Madonna thread we need!

    I know Innuendo isn't that big a fan as far as I know? But Matty & Az have some interest as I hope others do too.

    I'll start with ranking the 13 studio Madonna albums, as back in the 80's I think it was Madonna that got me interested in ranking.

    1. American Life
    2. Erotica
    3. Hard Candy
    4. Like A Prayer
    5. Rebel Heart
    6. True Blue
    7. Bedtime Stories
    8. Madonna
    9. Like A Virgin
    10. M.D.N.A
    11. Ray Of Light
    12. Music
    13. Confessions On A Dancefloor

  3. #993
    Points: 31,802, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,156
    Points
    31,802
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 3,439 Times in 966 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    I have a funny relationship with Madonna.



    My two best friends/biggest arch enemies (my brother and Tony R) are huge fans, which automatically makes me dislike her. I know she's one of the best popstars of all time yada yada yada, but I've always held it against her that she continued having such huge acclaim and chart success long after MJ. I know it's ridiculous and I know it's not Madonna's fault that MJ kind of spent the vast majority of the 00's in retirement, whilst she continued to release music and tour regularly. But I just wish that had been MJ, so I hold her responsible for everything bad that ever happened to MJ. The Berlin baby "dangle" incident? Madonna's fault. The botched promotion of Invincible? Madonna was behind it. The allegations? Somehow it can all be traced back to Madonna.

  4. #994
    Points: 31,802, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,156
    Points
    31,802
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 3,439 Times in 966 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    I bet Madonna even introduced MJ to Bashir too.

  5. #995
    Points: 19,250, Level: 87
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Tony R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,865
    Points
    19,250
    Level
    87
    Thanks
    457
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 990 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyJam View Post
    I have a funny relationship with Madonna.



    My two best friends/biggest arch enemies (my brother and Tony R) are huge fans.
    I don't know why you talk about us like we're two separate people.

    I wouldn't say Madonna had huge success post 2000. But yes, she's done well. Especially Tour wise.

    She's benefitted by the fact she's so level headed which I think comes from not being a famous child.

  6. #996
    Points: 8,263, Level: 61
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Fiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    349
    Points
    8,263
    Level
    61
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 190 Times in 76 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    Madonna is one of my all time favorite artists alongside MJ.

    Favourite albums are American Life, Erotica and Rebel Heart. I tend to find whenever her albums are less well received I usually love them and whenever she's going through a phase of massive commercial success, it's usually the albums I'm not so keen on.

    Saw the Rebel Heart show at the o2 few years back... she's still a force to be reckoned with even approaching 60.
    “If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.”
    ~ * ~ Michael Jackson ~ * ~

  7. #997
    Points: 19,250, Level: 87
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Tony R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,865
    Points
    19,250
    Level
    87
    Thanks
    457
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 990 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
    Madonna is one of my all time favorite artists alongside MJ.

    Favourite albums are American Life, Erotica and Rebel Heart. I tend to find whenever her albums are less well received I usually love them and whenever she's going through a phase of massive commercial success, it's usually the albums I'm not so keen on.

    Saw the Rebel Heart show at the o2 few years back... she's still a force to be reckoned with even approaching 60.
    Yeah they're 3 of my favourites also. American Life is stunning - Mother & Father, Nothing Fails, Easy Ride - all sublime.

    Some crackin stuff on Rebel Heart too, but some strnge choices. The title track is brilliant but only on the ultra deluxe for some reason.

    Ghosttown is her best single in ages & should have been lead instead of Living For Love which is good but Madonna by numbers.

  8. #998
    Points: 8,263, Level: 61
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Fiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    349
    Points
    8,263
    Level
    61
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 190 Times in 76 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    Yeah they're 3 of my favourites also. American Life is stunning - Mother & Father, Nothing Fails, Easy Ride - all sublime.

    Some crackin stuff on Rebel Heart too, but some strnge choices. The title track is brilliant but only on the ultra deluxe for some reason.

    Ghosttown is her best single in ages & should have been lead instead of Living For Love which is good but Madonna by numbers.
    I loved Rebel Heart but felt it was a bit too long.

    Have you heard some of the Rebel Heart outtakes? Beautiful Scars and Addicted are better than some of the songs that made the album.
    “If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.”
    ~ * ~ Michael Jackson ~ * ~

  9. #999
    Points: 7,719, Level: 58
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,335
    Points
    7,719
    Level
    58
    Thanks
    2,357
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 690 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    Madonna? One of the greatest popstars of all time surely! The most talented? No. The most consistent? Probably not in terms of brilliant albums, but certainly in terms of brilliant material throughout those albums as well as time and again delivering brilliant live show/tour after brilliant live show/tour. The hardest working pop performer over one of the longest periods in a career where youth and contemporary relivance seem to be the only things the matter? Absolutely. She brings it time and time again, reinvents herself and works hard. I would say most of her albums offer stellar pop! It's very hard for me to rate her albums as my favourite is The Immaculate Collection which frankly is the greatest sequenced Hits collection I've ever heard -also the biggest selling hits album if memory serves.

    01. Like A Prayer
    02. Hard Candy
    03. Erotica
    04. True Blue
    05. Rebel Heart
    06. Like A Virgin
    07. MDNA
    08. Confessions On A Dance Floor
    09. American Life
    10. Music
    11. Bedtime Stories
    12. Ray Of Light
    13. Madonna

    This really is subject to change.
    Last edited by aazzaabb; 21-03-2017 at 01:35 AM.

  10. #1000
    Points: 19,250, Level: 87
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Tony R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,865
    Points
    19,250
    Level
    87
    Thanks
    457
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 990 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    Quote Originally Posted by aazzaabb View Post
    Madonna? One of the greatest popstars of all time surely! The most talented? No. The most consistent? Probably not in terms of brilliant albums, but certainly in terms of brilliant material throughout those albums as well as time and again delivering brilliant live show/tour after brilliant live show/tour. The hardest working pop performer over one of the longest periods in a career where youth and contemporary relivance seem to be the only things the matter? Absolutely. She brings it time and time again, reinvents herself and works hard. I would say most of her albums offer stellar pop! It's very hard for me to rate her albums as my favourite is The Immaculate Collection which frankly is the greatest sequenced Hits collection I've ever heard -also the biggest selling hits album if memory serves.
    I think Queen is the biggest GH ever in UK & Eagles in America. It's biggest female one though.

    It annoys me a bit when people say 'not the most talented' as it's normally the same that say 'it's down to reinvention' or keeping relevant.

    Okay I wouldn't say she had MJ's genius. I wouldn't say anybody had. But if it was just down to sexuality & reinvention, she's have been done 25 years ago.

    The reality is that she's kept making fantastic tunes that endure & last the test of time.

  11. #1001
    Points: 19,250, Level: 87
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Tony R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,865
    Points
    19,250
    Level
    87
    Thanks
    457
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 990 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
    I loved Rebel Heart but felt it was a bit too long.

    Have you heard some of the Rebel Heart outtakes? Beautiful Scars and Addicted are better than some of the songs that made the album.
    Yeah I've got the ultra deluxe version that has those tunes. She could have made one great 11 track album, but at least she's giving value for money.

    I love the tracks Rebel Heart, Ghostown, Body Shop, Heartbreak City, Devil Pray & Hold Tight.

    Can't believe she chose Bitch I'm Madonna over Rebel Heart for a single.

  12. #1002
    Points: 31,802, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,156
    Points
    31,802
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 3,439 Times in 966 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    Yeah they're 3 of my favourites also. American Life is stunning - Mother & Father, Nothing Fails, Easy Ride - all sublime.
    i also love Intervention from American Life. Reminds me of a RHCP song.

  13. #1003
    Points: 19,250, Level: 87
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Tony R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,865
    Points
    19,250
    Level
    87
    Thanks
    457
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 990 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyJam View Post
    i also love Intervention from American Life. Reminds me of a RHCP song.
    Yeah I see that. Maybe Snow or Desecration Smile?

  14. #1004
    Points: 31,802, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,156
    Points
    31,802
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 3,439 Times in 966 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    Yeah I see that. Maybe Snow or Desecration Smile?
    Yeah, the guitar is very Frusciante.

  15. #1005
    Points: 7,719, Level: 58
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,335
    Points
    7,719
    Level
    58
    Thanks
    2,357
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 690 Posts

    Default Re: Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    I think Queen is the biggest GH ever in UK & Eagles in America. It's biggest female one though.

    It annoys me a bit when people say 'not the most talented' as it's normally the same that say 'it's down to reinvention' or keeping relevant.

    Okay I wouldn't say she had MJ's genius. I wouldn't say anybody had. But if it was just down to sexuality & reinvention, she's have been done 25 years ago.

    The reality is that she's kept making fantastic tunes that endure & last the test of time.
    I've never really rated her as a singer, but then many of the artists I like are not necessarily the greatest singers, their great communicators, and thats how I rate someone, their abillity to be able to communicate something to me, a lot of the time it's not even something I can explain, it's more a feeling. So what I should have said is 'She's not the most technically gifted' which is irrelevant in pop/rock anyway and to a large degree not really the point. With some of the artists I like I have a habit of putting a little disclaimer at the beginning of why I like them, probably from growing up and listening to different opinions; everyones a cynic.

    I think with Madonna it's about everything. The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. The synergy between what she does in the studio, working with people she's drawn to, her visual presentation, her elaborate stage shows and work ethic/ability to constantly evolve, her complete enthusiasim for every single album/tour set-list is incredible given she's long reached the point where she could simply tour on her 80's/90's catalogue of hits, but no, she keeps it fresh and exciting.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •