All my life by KC & JoJo (Did MJ wanted to record it?)

Mr. Norway

Proud Member
I think I remember reading that R. Kelly once said that Michael originally wanted to record the song "All my life" by KC & JoJo instead of You are not alone for the History album, but that Kelly was so sure that YANA was so perfect for Mike that he almost had to fight him to convince him. Anyone else heard about this? It doesn´t´say anything about it in For The Record. And do you think MJ has recorded a demo of it? A fabulous song, although, YANA was def the right choice.

Re: All my life by KC & JoJo

I cannnnoooooooottt imagine Mj singing All My Life. I love the song...I just can't see it though. That song FOREVER has been associated with KC and JoJo's crazy vocal acrobatics...."OoooOOOoooHHH YEAH! KC! JO JO!" :lol:

I cannnnoooooooottt imagine Mj singing All My Life. I love the song...I just can't see it though. That song FOREVER has been associated with KC and JoJo's crazy vocal acrobatics...."OoooOOOoooHHH YEAH! KC! JO JO!" :lol:

Yeah, I know, but that´s because we are connecting KC´s vocals with it. If MJ had recorded this song first it would´ve been his song. I could absolutely hear MJ singing it, it´s a typical MJ ballad, and I´m not surprised that he wanted it. Would be amazing to hear an MJ version of it. I´m sure his vocals would be WICKED :)

i like yana better as a song, and I'm glad mj recorded it- he KILLED that song!

I think I remember reading that R. Kelly once said that Michael originally wanted to record the song "All my life" by KC & JoJo instead of You are not alone for the History album, but that Kelly was so sure that YANA was so perfect for Mike that he almost had to fight him to convince him. Anyone else heard about this? It doesn´t´say anything about it in For The Record. And do you think MJ has recorded a demo of it? A fabulous song, although, YANA was def the right choice.
It's not All My Life. R.Kelly didn't write it. He showed Mike Life, which is written by R.Kelly and sung by K-Ci&Jojo and You Are Not Alone. Mike liked Life but R.Kelly persuaded him to go with You Are Not Alone and yeah, like you said, it took some time to make the final decision. I guess Mike did love Life a lot. If he'd recorded it at least for a demo and we could hear the version, oooh! I would be blown away!!! I love the song so much, so it's a pleasure just imaginging how his vocal coulda been on it.

Last edited:

Totally, I'm sure Mike would have nailed it somehow making it his own, but I try to picture in my head Michael going -baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby,- really fast in the beggining and it just doesn't quite fit.

BTW I'll change the title on the thread so it's more clear what it's about...

correct helena22. I was about to post tis myself.For The Record as this listed. Further I read an interview by R'kelly myself mentioning this in an old Blues & Soul issue.

It's not All My Life. R.Kelly didn't write it. He showed Mike Life, which is written by R.Kelly and sung by K-Ci&Jojo and You Are Not Alone. Mike liked Life but R.Kelly persuaded him to go with You Are Not Alone and yeah, like you said, it took some time to make the final decision. I guess Mike did love Life a lot. If he'd recorded it at least for a demo and we could hear the version, oooh! I would be blown away!!! I love the song so much, so it's a pleasure just imaginging how his vocal coulda been on it.

I think Mike would have sang it amazingly. I like the way KC and JO JO done it though. I dunno which one I would prefer for Mike to sing between YANA and AML, hmmmmmm I dunno I think Mike would have bene amazing on AML too so probably which ever would be great. But obv the right choice was made considering the success of YANA as a single

I cant picture it either j5master........i dont think it would suit him ( imo)
yana is a good song......but don' t ask me what i think of the vid lol

helena nailed it and r.kelly said it as well and the great mj book for the record confirmed it as well.

That's interesting. I don't really like "YANA" all that much. It's a good song, but I just don't like it. Guess I would agree with Michael on this one, lol.

it might be on youtube dri
u mean kc and jojo song?

type kc & jojo
and it might come up :)

Your welcome dri :)

Have u tried it?
Did it work?

We should change the thread title..."All My Life" and "Life" are two totally different songs, as some of us pointed out.

For those who haven't heard the song "Life"...

It's the title track off the sountrack for the movie "Life".
WOST-002454_s.jpg

I wanted to put up a youtube link but can't seem to find it right now. So here it is a snippet: http://www.amazon.com/Life-Music-In...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1230536252&sr=8-1

IMO, if "You Are Not Alone" is more of Pop/R&B, "Life" is more of soul. I love both songs but at the same time I can see why Mike loved "Life" that much and wanted to choose it over "You Are Not Alone":yes:

Last edited:
aww eddie murphy and martin lawernce! cool :)
Is that an actual movie they r in?

aww was it released recently?
Im a big fan of both of them......i dont think i have seen that movie!
Gotta see it :)

it was released in 1999 i believe1

We should change the thread title..."All My Life" and "Life" are two totally different songs, as some of us pointed out.

For those who haven't heard the song "Life"...

It's the title track off the sountrack for the movie "Life".
WOST-002454_s.jpg

I wanted to put up a youtube link but can't seem to find it right now. So here it is a snippet: http://www.amazon.com/Life-Music-In...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1230536252&sr=8-1

IMO, if "You Are Not Alone" is more of Pop/R&B, "Life" is more of soul. I love both songs but at the same time I can see why Mike loved "Life" that much and wanted to choose it over "You Are Not Alone":yes:

oooh okay it was this song..i was like what song was ''Life'' again. i love Life its a great song. kc and jo jo did a good job with it and ''all my life''.

even though ''All My Life'' wasn't directed for michael to do..this song was played a million times on every station!!..honeslty im not a huge fan of ''you are not alone'' its okay but Life is better to me. but kc and jo jo did a fine job.

I want to throw a tidbit into this discussion...Get This!

I listened to both songs and in my opinion...

"All My Life" would have been perfect for Michael...along with brother Jermaine or Randy harmonizing with him...

Are you with me guys?:)

KC & JoJo have such great harmony as brothers with their voices, so it would make sense if Michael would sing it with a brother, also.

Now, the other song, "Life", I don't see that as a Michael Jackson song, only because of the arrangement for KC & JoJo. The music would have to be very different in that song for it to sound as soulful with Michael's voice as it did with KC & JoJo.

Again, the harmony works with KC & JoJo, instead of one single vocalist, although Michael has a way of putting harmony into his background sound.

But, "All My Life" would be the better song out of the 2 for me to choose for Michael to sing.

And..."You Are Not Alone" sounds great when you really listen to feel what he's singing about. You have to meet him there in the song and feel its dynamics. I feel it every time I listen to it.

Back