Paul McCartney!!!

Great songwriter, one of the best. It's not for nothing that MJ bought the Beatles catalogue...

Paul McCartney is excellent, I have most of his albums. His 70s/80s albums were the best, especially albums like Band On The Run, Wings At The Speed Of Sound, Pipes Of Peace, Tug Of War, McCartney I, and Ram.

I also really like his most recent material. Chaos and Creation and Memory Almost Full were brilliant!

^^ Lousy performer? Paul is an amazing performer, he has an incredible on-stage presence.

he's a good musician but he bugs me so much personality wise.. I could never get along with him in person

Great singer, good song writer, lousy performer and lousy personality, lol.

I think he is a better songwriter than a singer.

He wouldn't have made a big career solely as a singer. But could have still made a great career by writing songs for others.

Totally agree on perfomer and personality.

He is an excellent songwriter...and just like any other talented person, he is pretty particular in his ways...and has a unique personality...

Well all I know is, everytime I see him perform, I almost go in to a state of comatose, lol.

He has a beautiful voice. Just really good quality and a good style of singing. He's a good songwriter, maybe great. He's very talented. I don't take that away from him, even though I can't stand him as a person.

To be honest, I've always considered him the boring Beatle. He wrote some decent songs. Let It Be and Yesterday for example. And no doubt he sings well (but lacks the character in his voice that Lennon had). But he's just a boring guy and when her performs he's very boring. If it wasn't for Lennon and Ringo the Beatles would've been a very boring band to watch and listen to.

Well Lennon was the real force behind the band I think, his song writing I mean. McCartney has a better voice, but as you pointed out, Lennon had a more interesting voice.

I know I've mentioned this already, but for those who say McCartney is only a 'good' songwriter, or wrote only 'decent' songs-

Why did MJ buy the rights to the Beatles' songs?............

The songwriting team of Lennon and McCartney was, and still is, HUGE.

MJ recognizes quality. I agree with MJ.

The Beatles had amazing songs, and McCartney is a very good song writer. But it was when he was teamed with John Lennon when most of those truly good songs were produced. His solo efforts aren't as impressive to me as the stuff he wrote with Lennon, which leads me to believe that Lennon had a big impact on how good most of the Beatles music was.

Yes, and also the fact that after the Beatles broke up, Lennon's solo music was miles better than McCartney's. Even Harrison's solo music was a lot better. Which tells me that when you see a song written by Lennon & McCartney it's more like Lennon & McCartney. Or even, just Lennon. They credited every song that Lennon and/or McCartney wrote to "Lennon & McCartney" even if the song was written by only one or the other. Songs like "Yesterday", "Hey Jude" and "Let it Be" were written by McCartney but credited to Lennon & McCartney. Songs like "A Day in the Life", "Across the Universe" and "Come Together" were written by Lennon but credited to Lennon & McCartney. But apart from the three songs I listed, I don't believe McCartney's contribution to the Beatles as a songwriter was that great. Lennon was the real songwriter of the Beatles.

If you click here you'll find a list of every Beatles song and who wrote and sung lead vocals for them. You'll see the good ones were written by Lennon. Although, McCartney did have his moments.

Last edited:
What you are saying is purely speculation based on opinion only. Some peeps say McCartney's solo stuff is better, so....

I think McCartney deserves his share of credit, and find it pointless to single one out as the better writer when it was as a team when they were at their best. Were you there when they put the songs together?

Collabs are COLLABS!

What you are saying is purely speculation based on opinion only. Some peeps say McCartney's solo stuff is better, so....

I think McCartney deserves his share of credit, and find it pointless to single one out as the better writer when it was as a team when they were at their best. Were you there when they put the songs together?

Collabs are COLLABS!

Just because someone's name is on the credits doesn't mean they wrote it. In B.B. King's early days, he'd write his material, but the owner of the record label he was on at the time would stick his name on it to get the publishing money. Tom Parker would stick Elvis' name on stuff he had nothing to do with. Chaka Khan said she helped write Tell Me Something Good, but only Stevie Wonder's name is on the credit. Prince had a song called Partyup that was written by Morris Day, not him. But Morris isn't on the song credit. Some artists use fake names when they write for other people, so they don't have to go through any record business politics. Paul McCartney has released some techno/rap records under the name "The Fireman". Prince wrote Manic Monday for the Bangles as "Alexander Nevermind", and so forth.

Just because someone's name is on the credits doesn't mean they wrote it. In B.B. King's early days, he'd write his material, but the owner of the record label he was on at the time would stick his name on it to get the publishing money. Tom Parker would stick Elvis' name on stuff he had nothing to do with. Chaka Khan said she helped write Tell Me Something Good, but only Stevie Wonder's name is on the credit. Prince had a song called Partyup that was written by Morris Day, not him. But Morris isn't on the song credit. Some artists use fake names when they write for other people, so they don't have to go through any record business politics. Paul McCartney has released some techno/rap records under the name "The Fireman". Prince wrote Manic Monday for the Bangles as "Alexander Nevermind", and so forth.

Thats very interesting!! Thanks for posting!

what i'd like to know is, why do some say that Paul McCartney's voice is better, but John Lennon's was more interesting?

which is more desirable...better..or..interesting?

the inability for people to explain this kinda validates why an opinion doesn't necessarily diminish the bankability of a singing voice...

^^ I think Paul was the better vocalist, but John was the better songwriter.

Paul has better quality, range and better control then Lennon, but Lennon's voice is errie sounding, which worked for a lot of Beatles songs.

Last edited:
Yes, and also the fact that after the Beatles broke up, Lennon's solo music was miles better than McCartney's. Even Harrison's solo music was a lot better. Which tells me that when you see a song written by Lennon & McCartney it's more like Lennon & McCartney. Or even, just Lennon. They credited every song that Lennon and/or McCartney wrote to "Lennon & McCartney" even if the song was written by only one or the other. Songs like "Yesterday", "Hey Jude" and "Let it Be" were written by McCartney but credited to Lennon & McCartney. Songs like "A Day in the Life", "Across the Universe" and "Come Together" were written by Lennon but credited to Lennon & McCartney. But apart from the three songs I listed, I don't believe McCartney's contribution to the Beatles as a songwriter was that great. Lennon was the real songwriter of the Beatles.

If you click here you'll find a list of every Beatles song and who wrote and sung lead vocals for them. You'll see the good ones were written by Lennon. Although, McCartney did have his moments.
I don't really have the inclination to go through that list, rate and then pit one song against another in terms of quality, count them up.... bleh. Especially as all this is completely subjective. I just disagree that Lennon was the 'real' songwriter of the Beatles. They were members of a group, performed the material together, and as such, they influenced each other to a large extent. I think the magic happened because of how they both contributed, collaborated, possibly competed musically. They brought out the best in each other. They both were at their best in The Beatles, not as solo artists, imo. Not that either of them were bad as solo artists; they both had their share of good stuff. I think you just happen to prefer Lennon's, whereas I don't.

Yes, that happened a lot in history. Al Jolson could be included in that list, and there are heaps of other examples of that. But it's not all that relevant here, I don't think...

he's a good musician but he bugs me so much personality wise.. I could never get along with him in person

I think he is a better songwriter than a singer.

He wouldn't have made a big career solely as a singer. But could have still made a great career by writing songs for others.

Totally agree on perfomer and personality.

Totally agree with both of these statements

Back