The MANHATTAN TRANSFER...

I like that song that they did with Phil Collins, but to be honest, I don't really know that much about them.

I like Ray's Rockhouse, I think that's the name of it.

I saw a segment about them on a Sunday news program not long ago.

I have to go with the big chart topper though. I love their version of "Boy From New York City"...

[h=1]Remembering Tim Hauser of Manhattan Transfer[/h] Posted on October 17, 2014 | By Chuck Miller
2568uj7.png

It was sixteen years ago and it felt like yesterday. I was working for Goldmine magazine, the record collector’s biweekly publication, and had been asked by my editor to come to Sharon, Pennsylvania to cover the inaugural class of the Vocal Group Hall of Fame.

And that’s where I first met Tim Hauser. Tim was the lead singer of Manhattan Transfer, one of the best jazz / vocal harmony groups I ever heard. We talked about the possibility of a Manhattan Transfer cover story for Goldmine, would he and the rest of the group agree to an interview. He said that would be great.
A few months later, I was in New York City, with an exclusive interview with Tim and the rest of Manhattan Transfer – Janis Siegel, Alan Paul and Cheryl Bentyne. The interview went well, and it later became the basis of my second cover story for Goldmine.

And then came all the concerts. For years, I would always associate Christmastime with a visit to New York City, then to the Blue Note Jazz Club where Manhattan Transfer would perform during the holidays. After the performances, I would get to chat with Tim and the band. It was a treasured moment and I enjoyed the opportunity to spend time with one of my favorite artists.

Tim Hauser loved his association with jazz music and with music education. When his high school was damaged by Superstorm Sandy, he and Manhattan Transfer performed a benefit concert for the school.
He loved the Los Angeles Dodgers, he loved his vintage restored Mercury cars, and he loved manufacturing his own pasta sauce – in fact, he recently hosted a successful Kickstarter program to bring his sauces to store shelves.

Yesterday, I received word that Tim Hauser passed away. He was 72. This message was left on Manhattan Transfer’s Facebook page.
It is with heavy hearts that we share the news of Tim Hauser’s passing with you all… As many of you know, Tim was the visionary behind The Manhattan Transfer. We spent more than 40 years together singing and making music, traveling the world, and sharing so many special moments throughout our lives… It’s incomprehensible to think of this world without him.
We join his loving wife, Barb, his beautiful children, his family, and the rest of the world in mourning the loss of our dear friend and partner in song.
Love,
Janis, Cheryl and Alan
Rest in peace, Tim Hauser. Thank you for nearly five decades of great music and wonderful performances. Thank you for all that you’ve done. And most of all, thank you for being a good friend.

Tim Hauser’s first recorded work was with the doo-wop group The Criterions.

I was absolutely CRAZY for this group!!! This just really made me sad-I pulled out their album I bought back in the 70's and played it all day.

They were so popular-not just with me, who loves the old jazz standards-I never got to see them in person, but my boyfriend took me to see a "copy cat" group-called 'Montgomery, Plant, and Stritch'-which of course, years later Stritch turned out to be Billy Stritch, Liza Minnelli's friend and colleague, Grammy winner songwriter. And just last week I was reading an interview with Daryl Phinnessee, who said that he auditioned for BAD tour with Sheryl, Dorian, and Kevin singing several songs from this Manhattan Transfer album.

RIP. Very special memories for me.

Last edited:
Chanson D`Amour is the song I think of when I hear about Manhattan Transfer.
I don´t know who came up with this story
The snail was gliding across the lawn singing Chanson D`Amour (just the words in the beginning of the song) then the lawnmower came ratatatata..
[video=youtube_share;ARfARi-gpWc]http://youtu.be/ARfARi-gpWc[/video]

Cantaloop (Flip Out)

This is from their new album The Junction, a remake of the 1990s rap hit, which was based on a Herbie Hancock tune

Back