Jheri Curls! - How do I get my hair like that?

MJMThriller

Proud Member
Does anybody know how/what products to use to get Jheri curls? My hair is already afro-ish but how do I get my hair like MJ's? Do I use relaxant or not? I'm mixed raced so I'm not sure whether relaxant would make it go totally straight or not. :huh:

Just hair similar to these pics:

thrillerera192.jpg

20405925.jpg

Go to your local grocery or drug store, find the hair care isle, locate the black hair care section and purchase a Jheri curl (also called gel curl, jelly curl). be sure to buy extra Curl Activator and remember, in a month or so, you will need to touch up your roots :winking:

^ There is no black hair care section because there isn't that many black people in my city:( I'll see if there are any products on the internet!^_^

Go to your local grocery or drug store, find the hair care isle, locate the black hair care section and purchase a Jheri curl (also called gel curl, jelly curl). be sure to buy extra Curl Activator and remember, in a month or so, you will need to touch up your roots :winking:

unbelievable as it may seem to those in the USA, in Europe black hair care products are not that easy to find. Unless you live in a predominetly black community, the majority of drug stores/ grocery stores/ pharmacies dont have a black hair care section.

My suggestion is to find your nearest afro/carribean hairdressers and ask them

MJJHISTORY, where in Scotland do you live as I can reccommd a very good afro/carribean hairdressers in Edinburgh where one of my friends gets her hair done

Last edited:
^ I live in Dundee but often travel to Edinburgh as my mother’s friends live there. Any recommendations would be great!

Wait, you cant get rid of a jheri curl can you? dont you have to cut it off if you dont want it anymore?????

I think my mom used to have one....

(good lordy, the white girl explaining about black hair!!!)

Dreads/dreadlocked hair is where you twist sections of hair as it grows and the twists grow into long ropes of matted hair, think Bob Marley

jheri curls are a softening/loosening perm of blak hair, the hair is treated then set on perm rollers, eg Michael in the 80's

Let me make this perfectly clear

YOU DO KNOW WANT A JHERI CURL

1.It's messy
2.It's been out of style since 1992
3.The whole jheri curl kits are RARE
4.It's just not a good look anymore and hasn't been in a LOOOOONG time

1.It's messy

Where I live, some older folks still wear curls. Sometimes younger people will have it Mario Van Peeples style - short curls at the top with the sides faded. It comes out better if you go to a shop and do it, rather than getting a home kit.

1.It's messy

:lol:can't say i wasn't thnking the same thing :ph34r:

*flash back to Souuulll Glooooooooo*

Last edited:
the next time you are in Edinburgh, check this out

Ebony & Ivory cater for Afro hair and offer a range of hairdressing services including the styling and relaxing of hair.

Ebony & Ivory98 Buccleuch StreetEdinburghEH8 9NH
telephone:
0131-662 0177map http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=y&bi=~&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

good luck

Thanks! I'll go there the next time I'm in Edinburgh! :D

1.It's messy

Sometimes you have got to take a risk and not be the sheep who follows the crowd. Besides, Michael has never really wore anything that was in fashion. It became fashionable because Michael wore it. ;)

Where I live, some older folks still wear curls. Sometimes younger people will have it Mario Van Peeples style - short curls at the top with the sides faded. It comes out better if you go to a shop and do it, rather than getting a home kit.
That's an s-curl, and I had one of those:rofl:

and I'm paying for it because the chemicals damage your hair and my hair is recovering from it

Thanks! I'll go there the next time I'm in Edinburgh! :D

Sometimes you have got to take a risk and not be the sheep who follows the crowd. Besides, Michael has never really wore anything that was in fashion. It became fashionable because Michael wore it. ;)
No, the jheri curl was popular before Michael started sporting it in 1981.

I'm warning you, it could really mess up your hair. If you look at alot of stars who had a curl back in the 80s, you'll see the result:doh:

well what does ur hair look like now??? u say afro-ish.. is it tight curls?? Or lose??

The loser the curls the easier it is, and the less damage it would do.

It's easier for some.. Also if ur trying to do it LIKE MJ.. it's a bit different, because naturally MJ has a lot of baby hair.. which creates that look on the side of his head from his head to his sideburns..

Last edited:
well what does ur hair look like now??? u say afro-ish.. is it tight curls?? Or lose??

The loser the curls the easier it is, and the less damage it would do.

It's easier for some.. Also if ur trying to do it LIKE MJ.. it's a bit different, because naturally MJ has a lot of baby hair.. which creates that look on the side of his head from his head to his sideburns..

It's loose curls because I am mixed-raced

Back