R.Kelly is a Better Producer than Prince

mistermaxxx

Proud Member
if you want to have hits and you are a Older Artist or a Young Artist than Kellz is the Man to go to. Prince ain't never made half the acts he has worked with as Good as R.Kelly has. R.Kelly has been more Relevent than Prince as well. R.Kelly is 2 decades deep,meanwhile Prince only mattered in the 80's. but anyway R.Kelly is a Better Producer than Prince will ever be.

Saw the thread at Prince.org, huh? lol. Well anyway although I am a much bigger fan of Prince's than I am of R. Kelly's, I do think that R. Kelly is a better producer overall. Like one of Prince's own fans pointed out, all of Prince's artists sound like Prince. Most of the songs he's produced for other people sound like something he would sing himself and that is not good. A good producer helps the artist find their own sound, so yes although I think Prince has produced some good stuff, some of which were quite successful also (i.e. Sinead O' Connor's "Nothing Compares To You") and takes more risks musically than R. Kelly, I have to say that Kellz is the overall better producer.

Last edited:
This is a pretty random thread. Prince hasn't produced anybody since Tevin Campbell in the early 90s.

damn, where's Murph when you need him lol i thought this was a wind up the first couple of forums, but it seems you're quite serious LOL

besides the fact they're both completely different beings....

Prince, as an instrumentalist and producer, has influenced far more artists, producers and instrumentalists than Kelly - most of whom are more musically and talent-wise relevant than Kellz himself.

e.g. D'Angelo >>>> R. Kelly
e.g. Dwele >>>>>> R. Kelly

and many more others who are in completely different genres than your boy.

and this is all ignoring the songwriting and arrangement.

it's really irrelevant, this discussion, and pointless to actually compare their individual production skills. but the legacies speak loudly.

Last edited:
Bottom line is R.Kelly is a thief. Prince is not. R. Kelly didnt write You Are Not Alone yet claims he did. Well the courts say otherwise and the original demo I heard shows he didnt write it either which means he lied to MJ. He'll never work with MJ again!

Bottom line is R.Kelly is a thief. Prince is not. R. Kelly didnt write You Are Not Alone yet claims he did. Well the courts say otherwise and the original demo I heard shows he didnt write it either which means he lied to MJ. He'll never work with MJ again!

From what I understand, it was said that he didn't write the music. So I assume R. Kelly must have wrote the lyrics. If that's the case he just has to put the music composers on the song. It's like what George Michael had to do for "Waiting For That Day". On later printings of the Listen Without Predudice album, George had to add Mick Jagger and Keith Richards to the songwriting credits beause he used a line from their song "You Can't Always Get What You Want".

i dunno, this is like comparing apples and oranges. Totally different styles, artist, careers.

Prince is a thief as well. Maniac Monday, 1999 are both the Mama's and Poppies "Monday,Monday, Purple Rain jacked Journey's "faithfully", prince stole Do Me baby from Andre cymone and I could go on.

R.Kelly is a Better songwriter, Arranger and Producer than Prince. Prince is a better overall instrumentalist and prince is tight on stage,but other than that He can't touch R.kelly. r Kelly has outlasted Prince so deal with it.

damn, where's Murph when you need him lol i thought this was a wind up the first couple of forums, but it seems you're quite serious LOL

besides the fact they're both completely different beings....

Prince, as an instrumentalist and producer, has influenced far more artists, producers and instrumentalists than Kelly - most of whom are more musically and talent-wise relevant than Kellz himself.

e.g. D'Angelo >>>> R. Kelly
e.g. Dwele >>>>>> R. Kelly

and many more others who are in completely different genres than your boy.

and this is all ignoring the songwriting and arrangement.

it's really irrelevant, this discussion, and pointless to actually compare their individual production skills. but the legacies speak loudly.
poor examples. D'angelo is in rehab with dark glasses on and no more career.

Dwele is a broke fill in the blank Neo soul-less Artist.

Murph is a R hater so of course you gotta go reaching for him. Prince is Overrated. he had his time and that was 20-25 years ago. if Prince couldn't bring it on stage then Prince would be in the 99 cent bin with the Kim fields and Eddie Grant albums.

R.Kelly smashes that Midget.

Murph is a R hater so of course you gotta go reaching for him. Prince is Overrated. he had his time and that was 20-25 years ago. if Prince couldn't bring it on stage then Prince would be in the 99 cent bin with the Kim fields and Eddie Grant albums.
R.Kelly smashes that Midget.

LOL stop, now you know that's not true. The only thing R. Kelly is better at than Prince is producing, but that's it. Otherwise, Prince is in a completley different league as far as talent goes.

LOL stop, now you know that's not true. The only thing R. Kelly is better at than Prince is producing, but that's it. Otherwise, Prince is in a completley different league as far as talent goes.
Prince ain't counted since Eric dickerson,AC green and Ice Cube all had wet greasy KFC Bucket Greasy Jerri Curls. Prince is played out and corny. early 80's yeah he was Badd,but since then he fell way off. He is just a oldies but goodies chitlin circuit Drum Stick Performing hits package turkey.

spoken like a true fanboy.

as i said, there's no criteria for comparing their production skills. but most importantly, it's their legacies of influence and impact on the craft that determines such a petty competition that you're relentlessly setting up.

Prince is overrated? yes, within the circle of underground hip-hop and soul etc.

but you're underestimating him by a country mile.

He is just a oldies but goodies chitlin circuit Drum Stick Performing hits package
You could say this about Michael (ABC, Beat It, etc). Prince doesn't just perform hits, he does album tracks, and he also does aftershows with lots of obscure tracks.

You could say this about Michael (ABC, Beat It, etc). Prince doesn't just perform hits, he does album tracks, and he also does aftershows with lots of obscure tracks.
without Michael Jackson then no Prince and FYI Thriller came like 15 years into MJ's career. Prince by the 15nth year of his career was still doing Purple Rain and to this day still is. MJ changed the game twice. Prince is just getting by with the same ole same.

MJ still can bring a new hit out. Prince ain't had one of those since Arsenio Hall still had a Tv show.

spoken like a true fanboy.

as i said, there's no criteria for comparing their production skills. but most importantly, it's their legacies of influence and impact on the craft that determines such a petty competition that you're relentlessly setting up.

Prince is overrated? yes, within the circle of underground hip-hop and soul etc.

but you're underestimating him by a country mile.

nobody talks about D'mumblow blew his Career D'angelo. Mumbling turkey choked and blew his career.

Dwele is corny and Bland and he is at best a regional act. ain't nothing there. he can play a little bit,but he ain't ever gonna be anymore than he is.

you just stuck in a time warp and Prince knows himself that he would be better off stepping with R.Kelly for a Modern day sound and revamp than them same tired grooves he been putting out for years.

Prince is more respected for what he did for himself,but he is too limited to go beyond his own mirror. he ain't touching Kellz.

without Michael Jackson then no Prince and FYI Thriller came like 15 years into MJ's career. Prince by the 15nth year of his career was still doing Purple Rain and to this day still is. MJ changed the game twice. Prince is just getting by with the same ole same.

MJ still can bring a new hit out. Prince ain't had one of those since Arsenio Hall still had a Tv show.

Prince isn't trying to have hits, that's what part of his fight with Warner Brothers was about. His record from last year Planet Earth debuted at #1 though. MJ's more recent hits have mostly been overseas, not in the USA

Last edited:
Prince isn't trying to have hits, that's what part of his fight with Warner Brothers was about. His record from last year Planet Earth debuted at #1 though. MJ's more recent hits have mostly been overseas, not in the USA
every artist is trying to have hits. He ain't been with Warners since 96 and he still signs with major labels since he left them. Capitol records, Arista, Sony,Universal, so it ain't like he is pulling a Ani Defranco.

Planet Earth wasn't number 1 here in the states and he had it placed in newspapers as the Dogs over in the UK did there business on it.

You rock my world went top 10 and Butterflies was number 14. MJ had hits here as late as 2002. Prince here back in 94/95 big difference. considering all the mess Prince puts out you'd think he would have more hits,but because his music is corny and tired and dated sounding it just takes up space at shopping music stores collecting dust.

you just stuck in a time warp and Prince knows himself that he would be better off stepping with R.Kelly for a Modern day sound and revamp than them same tired grooves he been putting out for years.

Prince is more respected for what he did for himself,but he is too limited to go beyond his own mirror. he ain't touching Kellz.
i'm not stuck in or on anywhere since i don't particularly listen much to Prince - and don't pretend to - but i sure know how to acknowledge his influence and impact without getting fanboyism in the way.

completely irrelevant comparisons here brought on by your bitterness of your peers' fondness of Prince.

you're still not acknowledging the facts here - Prince has and will have left a greater legacy than R. Kelly can ever achieve.

i'm not stuck in or on anywhere since i don't particularly listen much to Prince - and don't pretend to - but i sure know how to acknowledge his influence and impact without getting fanboyism in the way.

completely irrelevant comparisons here brought on by your bitterness of your peers' fondness of Prince.

you're still not acknowledging the facts here - Prince has and will have left a greater legacy than R. Kelly can ever achieve.
in R&B Prince ain't touching R. Kelly. not bitter just stating the obvious facts. you ain't acknowledging what R.Kelly has meant within the R&B World and the fact from Aaliyah, isley Brothers, MJ,Charlie Wilson, Maxwell, Kc and Jo-Jo,Hi five, B2k,Kelly Price,Syleena Johnson, sparkle,Toni braxton, Re-mix for Janet Jackson,Quincy Jones,changing faces and I ain't even talking about all the colabs with Rappers over the years, R.Kelly Stomps Prince.

every artist is trying to have hits. He ain't been with Warners since 96 and he still signs with major labels since he left them. Capitol records, Arista, Sony,Universal, so it ain't like he is pulling a Ani Defranco.

Planet Earth wasn't number 1 here in the states and he had it placed in newspapers as the Dogs over in the UK did there business on it.

You rock my world went top 10 and Butterflies was number 14. MJ had hits here as late as 2002. Prince here back in 94/95 big difference. considering all the mess Prince puts out you'd think he would have more hits,but because his music is corny and tired and dated sounding it just takes up space at shopping music stores collecting dust.
He puts out way more music online than as album releases. If he was trying to have hits, he wouldn't do that. A lot of his late 90's music was independently released like New Power Soul or The Rainbow Children. Prince only uses major labels for distribution for some releases, he doesn't sign contracts with them (and he owns the master recordings). All artists aren't trying to have hits. If that was the case no one would make jazz, polka, blues, tango, classical, new age, bluegrass, zydeco, death metal, etc. which are never "hits".

Last edited:
you ain't acknowledging what R.Kelly has meant within the R&B World
i don't need to STATE it because i'm not the one coming up with lameass comparisons that seem desperate to try and prove a fragile point.

i do acknowledge Kelly's contribution to R&B, just as much as i acknowledge Prince's previous efforts that contributed to paving the way for your idol.

and with all that trash talk spread around the net, you're becoming quite the embarrassment to Kelly. and he doesn't need anymore of it.
f_smiley.gif

That's not a real good comparison. I hardly see Prince as a producer IMHO (though the songs he DID produce for others like "Get It Up", "Nasty Girl" and "Round and Round" were ILL). Rick James would be a better comparison (you know when competing with Prince)...b*tch. :lol:

Besides if you wanted the funk, Rick and Prince were your men. And both of them were at war with each other musically, culturally and off stage. I wonder if Rick slapped him around like he did Charlie Murphy. :lol:

Last edited:
He puts out way more music online than as album releases. If he was trying to have hits, he wouldn't do that. A lot of his late 90's music was independently released like New Power Soul or The Rainbow Children. Prince only uses major labels for distribution for some releases, he doesn't sign contracts with them (and he owns the master recordings). All artists aren't trying to have hits. If that was the case no one would make jazz, polka, blues, tango, classical, new age, bluegrass, zydeco, death metal, etc. which are never "hits".
he never hardly performs most of those lame albums material live eithert. He knows he has to perform the hits or end up performing at a county fair.

nobody is checking for his tired albums and lame Production. dude been played out since 1987.

That's not a real good comparison. I hardly see Prince as a producer IMHO (though the songs he DID produce for others like "Get It Up", "Nasty Girl" and "Round and Round" were ILL). Rick James would be a better comparison...b*tch. :lol:
R.Kelly and Rick James are cool and fans of one another. the time stuff had Dez Dickerson and Andre Cymone nearby. Nasty Girl is the best of those 3 you mentioned IMO. ROund and ROund Prince with a MJtype of knockoff Production with a Soul11Soul groove which was missing badly.

i don't need to STATE it because i'm not the one coming up with lameass comparisons that seem desperate to try and prove a fragile point.

i do acknowledge Kelly's contribution to R&B, just as much as i acknowledge Prince's previous efforts that contributed to paving the way for your idol.

and with all that trash talk spread around the net, you're becoming quite the embarrassment to Kelly. and he doesn't need anymore of it.
f_smiley.gif
who is you but some corny turkey written wack posts. ain't nothing embarassing about R.Kelly if anything you the one who is Embarrased and a sorry state of a Poster.

you ain't acknowledged nothing where R.Kelly is concearned. you just riding on Prince. you can't counter nothing. go back to your binky and keep on sucking on it.

That's not a real good comparison. I hardly see Prince as a producer IMHO
well i think when you write, arrange, produce and play the instruments on just about all the material, it becomes quite hard to distinguish the roles.

even the term 'producer' has gone into grey territory.

R.Kelly and Rick James are cool and fans of one another. the time stuff had Dez Dickerson and Andre Cymone nearby. Nasty Girl is the best of those 3 you mentioned IMO. ROund and ROund Prince with a MJtype of knockoff Production with a Soul11Soul groove which was missing badly.

:rofl: Why you gotta do my boy's song like that? :rofl:

:rofl: Why you gotta do my boy's song like that? :rofl:
have you seen the video and heard how Prince had Tevin singing that song?? Tevin is Badd and the obvious MJ comparrisons are there,but still. and that Groove was a Broke Soul 11 Soul knockoff. you could play Soul 11 Soul's hits behind that easily.

well i think when you write, arrange, produce and play the instruments on just about all the material, it becomes quite hard to distinguish the roles.

True, that's why I said what I said in terms of "other people" he "produced". I think Prince had help (as some musicians). Doesn't limit his multi-talent but I think people put Prince on a higher pedestal than they should. I mean, he deserves the accolades and ISH. No one IMHO is touching Prince circa 1978-1987 but in terms of getting other people off the ground as a producer, he wasn't that "hot". Kells on the other hand least got you a big hit on the R&B chart, so if you were looking to get money and sales, you go to him. Same with Rick in the '80s. But Prince was doing well for himself during the "production" period of the 1980s.

R.Kelly writes, arranges and Produces his own stuff. He plays Keyboards and Guitar and Program beats. R has real skills no gray there.

Back