Quincy Jones

Q is simply awsome...

what an amazing ear..

Last edited:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cKTkcENtrBQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cKTkcENtrBQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

^^^ooohhh! Thanks for the vid! can't wait to watch it!

LOOOOOOOOOOVE me some Quincy!!!!!!!!! :yes:

The entire "The Dude" album is ace.

He also pretty much launched James Ingram's career.

Speaking of "The Dude", it's sort of scary on that album how much Patti Austin sounds like MJ.

"Q's Jook Joint" is also a great album

The entire "The Dude" album is ace.

He also pretty much launched James Ingram's career.

Speaking of "The Dude", it's sort of scary on that album how much Patti Austin sounds like MJ.

"Q's Jook Joint" is also a great album
well in terms of the Pop side for James Ingram, but James Ingram started out playing funk and also he caught on with Q's best friend Ray Charles in the 70's. James Ingram got his big break with Leon Haywood on the song "don't push it don't force it" and took that groove to Carl Carlton's she's a bad mama jamma and then to PYT for MJ. don't let the tux's fool you James Ingram could groove.but the sappy stuff sold.

well in terms of the Pop side for James Ingram, but James Ingram started out playing funk and also he caught on with Q's best friend Ray Charles in the 70's. James Ingram got his big break with Leon Haywood on the song "don't push it don't force it" and took that groove to Carl Carlton's she's a bad mama jamma and then to PYT for MJ. don't let the tux's fool you James Ingram could groove.but the sappy stuff sold.

James' brother Phillip was in the group Switch, which Jermaine brought to Motown as well as Debarge who also had siblings in Switch - Tommy & Bobby.

[youtube]Oor5iYatDyQ&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]fZA_RB5oTPw&fmt=18[/youtube]

OMG Tevin Campbell "Tommorrow"
I love that song sooo much.

I love Quincy Jones, he is truly brilliant!

*goes to listen to Secret Garden*

Quincy, Swedien and Temperton team up again for one of Q's last great pop tracks. Quiet-storm classic.

Co-written by Siedah Garrett.

El DeBarge, James Ingram, Al B. & Barry White put the poetry to audition.

10rmptk.jpg

Sweet Seduction Suite

Secret Garden

Sax In The
Garden

Erotic Garden

I like Q as a musician. I have some of his albums - jazz as well as more popular ones.

Yeah, "Secret Garden" is such a great song.

Q production and his son, QdIII, on the remix (with some lush sampling of Donald Byrd).

coveramb.png

Tevin Campbell

Strawberry Letter 23

(Album Edit)

(QdIII Mix)

^^^^I've never heard the remix before. I haven't heard Tevin's version itself since it was originally released, but I hear the Brothers Johnson's version all the time though.

Just listened to the soul bossa nostra album of remakes by Artists of 'today' and I gotta say 'why'

Completely bland versions of the songs with only a couple of highlights including the remake of Secret Garden Which includes Barry Whites vocal but unfortunately has Usher replacing James Ingrams excellent parts and whilst Usher does his best he is miles off that level.

The worst though has to be John Legends remake of Tomorrow, which has got to be the blandest cover version I've ever ever heard. I just don't think that song should ever be sung in that register and 'legend' does nothing to make it stand out even then, just sounds like he turned up and laid down the vocal with little effort.

I did like you put a move on my heart (feat. jennifer hudson) She did take it to another level. and also everything must change was good but a little over sung which detracted a little from the drama of the original but it still sounded ok. I also like the get the funk out of my face (feat.snoop dogg) Snoop always seems to add an interesting angle to a track.

Not sure why on earth they did this album but I noticed Q has been banding MJs name about in interviews helping to promote this ish.

July 18th, 2017 Jazz FM
596e09842f74e.jpg

Legendary composer, producer and bandleader Quincy Jones is launching a new Jazz video channel; he announced the news on stage at the Montreux Jazz Festival over the weekend. Qwest TV is a Franco-American project, claiming to be the world’s first paid video platform dedicated to jazz and jazz-inspired music forms. Subscriptions open on September 6th (the same day as an all-star tribute concert to Quincy at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles). Once the finances have been kickstarted, the broadcasts can begin later in the autumn.

Quincy said: “The dream of Qwest TV is to let jazz and music lovers everywhere experience these incredibly rich and diverse musical traditions in a whole new way. At my core, I am a bebopper, and over the course of my seventy-year career in music I have witnessed first-hand the power of jazz – and all of its off-spring from the blues and R&B to pop, rock and hip-hop, to tear down walls and bring the world together. I believe that a hundred years from now, when people look back at the 20th century, they will view Bird, Miles and Dizzy, as our Mozart, Bach, Chopin and Tchaikovsky, and it is my hope that Qwest TV will serve to carry forth and build on the great legacy that is jazz for many generations to come.”

by Ariston Anderson | May 24, 2018 | Hollywood Reporter
gettyimages-925265484_copy_-_h_2018.jpg

Ischia chair Cheryl Boone Isaacs with Quincy Jones

Quincy Jones is set to add another award to his collection.

The musician and record producer — who has racked up an incredible 79 Grammy nominations and 27 Grammys, as well as a Grammy Living Legend Award, over his 60-year career — will receive the William Walton Music Legend Award at the 2018 Ischia Global Film and Music Festival. The lifetime achivement award will honor his groundbreaking career as a musician, producer, humanitarian and executive.

Jones will be on hand on the Italian island off the coast of Naples to receive his award on July 18.

“The immensity of Quincy Jones’ talent knows no bounds,” said festival founder Pascal Vicedomini and chair Cheryl Boone Isaacs in a statement. “We are truly honored to add the Ischia William Walton Music Legend Award to his extensive list of accolades.”
Named after the British composer who spent his last days in Ischia, the honor recognizes those who have made significant contributions to music and entertainment. Previous recipients include Sting, Burt Bacharach, Harry Belafonte, Mike Stoller, Sir Tim Rice, Julio Iglesias, Andrea Bocelli and Luciano Pavarotti.

The 16th annual Ischia Global Film and Music Festival is set to run July 15-22. This year, the Andrea Bocelli Foundation will receive the fest's humanitarian award. More guests are expected to be announced in the coming weeks for the popular summer event.

8/1/2018 by Gregg Kilday The Hollywood Reporter
quincy_jones_netflix_documentary_-_publicity_-_h_2018.jpg

'Quincy' is directed by Rashida Jones and Alan Hicks.

Netflix will launch the new documentary Quincy, about music icon Quincy Jones, on Sept. 21, the streaming service announced today.

The film, which also will have a limited theatrical release, is directed by Rashida Jones, the actress and writer who is also Jones' daughter, and Alan Hicks, the director of Keep On Keepin’ On, which focused on jazz musician Clark Terry.

The film was produced by Paula DuPre Pesmen and executive produced by Jane Rosenthal and Berry Welsh from Tribeca Productions and Adam Fell from Quincy Jones Productions, and promises a look at Jones’ career as a trumpeter, producer, conductor, composer and arranger, combining verite moments with private archival footage.

“It’s rare that somebody who has lived as much life as my dad is still interested in growing and knowing the next generation,” Rashida Jones said in a statement. “He is such a man of action and accomplishments, but we were so lucky to spend real time with him, to let him reflect on life and the larger picture. I feel honored to be able to share that with audiences all over the world.”

"There is really no one like Quincy, the sheer breadth of his work alone is unparalleled, but the story of him as a man has never been comprehensively told. It was a privilege to have his trust, allowing us to capture intimate moments giving insight into the fabric of the man,” Hicks added.

“It's a rare opportunity to be able to present the definitive story of someone who has for over seven decades, not just influenced, but altered the course of culture. Combining his God given creative gift with a near maniacal work ethic, Quincy Jones has done just that, marshalling every expression of the arts to their full potency resulting in everything from Thriller to The Color Purple,” said Lisa Nishimura, Netflix vp original documentaries.

Re: Netflix Sets September Launch for Quincy Jones Documentary

By Pat Saperstein | May 11, 2019 | Variety
peggylipton.jpg

Peggy Lipton, actress and singer known for her roles in “The Mod Squad” and “Twin Peaks,” and the mother of Rashida Jones, has died at 72 of cancer.

Her daughers Rashida and Kidada Jones announced her death to the Los Angeles Times.

She won a Golden Globe and was Emmy-nominated four times for her role as flower child Julie Barnes in “The Mod Squad,” in which she starred from 1968 to 1973. She became a fashion icon for her hippie outfits on the show, which featured three hip undercover cops, “One black, one white, one blonde,” as the marketing campaign described.

After a long break to raise her daughters, she returned to acting on David Lynch’s original “Twin Peaks” series, on which she played Norma Jennings, the owner of the Double R Diner. She returned to reprise her role in the recent revival of the series.

On “Angie Tribeca,” she played Rashida Jones’ mother as Peggy Tribeca. She recently appeared in “Claws” and “A Dog’s Purpose.”

At the height of her popularity in 1968, she released a self-titled album and had a hit in 1970 with a cover of Donovan’s “Wear Your Love Like Heaven.”

Born in New York, she started modeling at age 15 and started acting at 19, appearing in TV series including “The John Forsythe Show,” “Bewitched” and “The Virginian.”

She married musician and producer Quincy Jones in 1974, making headlines and facing racism for the controversial interracial relationship. They divorced in 1990 after separating in 1986.

In her 2006 memoir “Breathing Out,” she describes being abused as a child by an uncle and suffering several abusive relationships.

I was a kid when Mod Squad was on. It's funny how you don't realize you're watching history making TV when you're little.
Thought Peggy was so beautiful as she retired to marry Quincy and raise her kids. She really loved him.
And loved her comeback in Twin Peaks.
I was really startled to read this-my heart goes out to Rashida and Kidada.

Michael Jackson didn’t often duet with major singers, however, when he did, they were usually major celebrities like Paul McCartney and Eddie Murphy. Despite this, he decided to perform a duet with an unknown artist that reached No. 1 on the charts. Here is the story of that song.

Michael Jackson had a sweet surprise for the writer of one of his most iconic hits

Firstly, some background. In 1982, Jackson released his most famous album: Thriller. He took five years to release a follow-up. His next album, Bad, was almost certain to be a hit because of the success of Thriller.

While working on Bad, Jackson worked with a number of proven hitmakers, including Stevie Wonder, Quincy Jones, and Glen Ballard. However, he also worked with Siedah Garret, who co-wrote his power ballad “Man in the Mirror.”

According to Billboard, Jackson introduced Garrett to his song “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You.” So of course, he just casually called over his shoulder, ‘Hey Sid, you like this song?’” Garrett recalled “And I kind of said, ‘Yeah, I like it.’ He said, ‘Well, can you sing it?’” I didn’t seem to dawn on Garrett what was about to happen next.

“So I get up to go into the vocal booth to record this song, and as I’m going out of the studio door I hear Quincy say, ‘Michael, go on in there.’ And so Michael is following me to this vocal booth, and I’m going to myself, ‘Oh my god.’ It wasn’t until I walked into the vocal area and there were two music stands, two microphones, two lyric sheets… The music stands were facing each other, and the microphones were facing each other, and the lyrics sheet said, ‘I Just Can’t Stop Loving You’: First verse, Michael, second verse Siedah.’ And it was in that moment that I realized, “Oh my god. I’m singing a duet with the King of Pop, the biggest recording artist on the planet!’” Jones commented that Jackson “loved” Garrett, so this could be why he gave her the opportunity.

How Quincy Jones reacted to Michael Jackson working with Siedah Garrett

According to The Billboard Book of Number 1 Hits, Garrett believes Jackson mimicked her vocal stylings when he performed on the song. Because of this, Jones couldn’t tell who was singing when he closed his eyes. Garrett didn’t realize how similar their voices sounded until after she and Jackson finished recording it.

How the world reacted to ‘I Just Can’t Stop Loving You’

Upon release, “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for a week in 1987. It did well considering it’s one of Jackson’s hit singles that was not accompanied by one of his signature high-concept music videos. In fact, it doesn’t have a music video at all. While Garrett didn’t become a pop star, Jackson helped her reach the top of the charts.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...cy-jones.html/

Back