ok i know this sounds weird, but i plan on getting a jheri curl soon

hotrod280

Proud Member
yeah, i know it sounds weird lol but in the next couple of weeks i plan on getting a jheri curl. ever since i became a fan of mjs, ive pretty much wanted one. so i havent cut my hair since since october of last year, and i feel like its long and thick enough for me to do it now. so i told my mom about it a while ago, and she thinks the idea is absolutely ridiculous, she went on and on about how it died out in the 80s, they smell, etc. well recently, ive finally found a hair place that does jheri curls, for about $65. my grandma is sending me some money in the mail (not for the curl, just randomly lol) so now ive got enough money to get it.

my mom has been telling me not to get one for the longest time now, but she is being nice enough to take me to get it done.

i know people are going to think its weird when i get one, but i guess i dont care much. i suppose it'll give away the fact that im a huge mj fan, but i dont really mind. i know it has its many "disadvantages" but i guess what im wondering is what do guys think of it?

sorry for the story being so long lol.

I don't think that's weird at all, hotrod280! Why couldn't you get curls? What's so weird about that? You wouldn't be the first person doing it! I'd say...GO FOR IT if that's what you want!! :yes: It's your hair!!

I wish Michael had them back too...

Me too....I LOOOOOOOOOVE the curly hair, especially when it's pulled back in a ponytail. I don't know why, but I just think MJ looks HOT with curls. :wub: (I mean...he looks hot with straight hair too....but there's something about MJ with curls that "does things" to me! :D :lol:)

Last edited:
$65?!!! I remember they used to cost around $25 or $5 for a Classy Curl home kit. Mostly today I only see old people with full out curls. Some young people have the S-curl with a fade, though. Most places now don't carry the activator or spray except beauty supply stores.

Before you get it, You should do research and try and find out what stores in your area carry the proper hair treatment for it, jheri curls can break or damage the hair severly. The hair dresser of whom you go to should know which treatment will not be too strong for your hair texture.

Oh Lord:

SOULGLO.jpg

:unsure:

You have to wash your hair every night, if not then you have wear one of those plastic caps that makes your scalp sweat. That is if you don't want a greasy pillow, lol.

Yeah, you gotta make sure you take care of it too.
:yes:

Last edited:
Actually, you don't have to worry about the greasy pillow or wearing a plastic cap at night if you wrap your head in a hot moist towel before going to bed at night. It will absorb the "grease" and keep it moist at the same time. You just reapply the moisturizer in the morning. You should also do that right after you moisterize your hair and it won't get all over your clothes. :yes:

Ticie,
The JACKSONOLOGIST

Mikes J curl didn't look juicy or greasy back in the day. I often wondered how he kept his do. anywho

I don't know about the j curl it does have it's disadvantages. But if done right it can look nice and grow long. My mom's did. But when she tried it a few years back it wasn't work out and broke her hair off bad. But back in the day mom's had long hair with the j curl.

I love the jheri curl look, but they have to be Michael jheri curl style, not Justin Timberlake jheri curl style, because he looked like a sheep, but I think you should take the curls, if you don't like it, you can always shave your head.:p

thanks for all the nice comments guys (and helpful tips, i'll have to use them even though i dont mind a greasy pillow) ive pretty much decided im going to get it, maybe i'll bring a couple of michael pictures to the shop to let them know i want it to look as much like michaels as possible. as for pictures... i dont know, maybe only if i fall in love with it and it looks really good lol. i just got the money, so i should be getting it within the next week or so!

Mike should get em back he looked great with em!!
But mike looks great anyways.just do what makes you happy and comfortable, nobody should tell you otherwise!!

you guys are silly!!!

I feel like Michael must have had something else, cause the jherri curls i've seen are really "wet" and greasy!Like that guy in "coming to america" lol! ,maybe MJ got a perm and then wet it and put something in it. Or I heard of this stuff called 'wave nouveau' (or somrthing like that) from the 80's. Plus, MJ's was more wavy than curly, I think...at least it usually was.....

Hey, if you can get yours to look like Michael's then GO FOR IT!
But it is alot for upkeep, and keeping it the way it should look.
But good luck and please let us know how it turns out!!! :yes:

Plus, at least you are a boy so that if you don't like it....snip snip!!!

Last edited:
HEEYYYYYYY! Did you ever get the CURL???!!!!!!!?!?!?

What happened??? You can't just leave me hangin!!!!!

Just get a Wave Nouveau its a new and improved version of the Jehri Curl. It smells really good, its not wet, drippy, or greasy. Its dry to the touch and it properly moisturizes your hair.

And it will make your hair look exactly like MJ's in the Bad and Dangerous eras.

Thats what I have. I just got it and I get TONS of compliments.

THe Jheri Curl looks to wet and greasy, the Wave Nouveau is A LOT better.

I asked my hair stylist the same thing and this is what she told me I should get and i LOVE IT.

Sweetie I use to have a curl during the early 80s, and lets just say you don't want to go that route..lmaoo@the thought.. You will have to sleep with a plastic curl cap on your head so that you won't mess up your pillows, don't wear silk or anything like that when you get your curl bcuz you will mess up the fabric.

Back