Daryl Hall & John Oates

DuranDuran

Proud Member
hall%20&%20oates.jpg

Daryl Hall and John Oates were a hit-making phenomenon in the 1970s and '80s, who landed 29 singles in the Top 40 and sold more than 40 million albums, making them the most successful recording duo in history.
Both were raised in Philadelphia suburbs. Oates had moved there when he was four from New York City, and he began playing guitar at age eight. As a child, Hall studied voice and piano. While in their teens, the two frequented Philadelphia ghettos, where they joined doo-wop groups. In 1967 Hall recorded a single with Kenny Gamble and the Romeos (which included future producers Gamble, Leon Huff and Thom Bell). He met Oates later that year when his group, the Temptones, and Oates’ group, the Masters, competed in a battle of the bands at Philadelphia’s Adelphi Ballroom; they shared a freight elevator while escaping a gang fight. At Temple University, Oates earned a degree in journalism and Hall studied music, but dropped out in his senior term.

Hall formed Gulliver, a group that recorded one LP on Elektra in 1969, and Oates joined just before it disbanded. Oates then traveled to Europe and Hall became a studio musician, singing backup for the Delfonics, the Stylistics, and the Intruders. Upon Oates’ return, the two decided to team up. In 1972 they signed with Atlantic Records and released their Arif Mardin-produced debut, "Whole Oates", a folksy album that attracted little attention. Their next LP, the R&B-oriented "Abandoned Luncheonette" (also produced by Mardin), yielded "She’s Gone," that was a flop for Hall and Oates but a #1 R&B hit for Tavares six months later. In 1974 the two recorded "War Babies", a concept LP, with producer Todd Rundgren. A drastic departure from their earlier efforts, the LP sold 100,000 copies in the New York area, but, citing a lack of hit singles and stylistic inconsistency, Atlantic dropped them. Surprisingly, "She’s Gone" was re-released in 1976 and made it to #7 on Billboard's Hot 100.

Their RCA debut album, "Daryl Hall and John Oates", contained a soft ballad called "Sara Smile" that became a #4 hit. The tune was co-written by Hall for his frequent collaborator/girlfriend Sara Allen (whose sister Janna Allen helped write "Kiss on My List," "Private Eyes," and other Hall and Oates songs; she died of leukemia in 1993). With the release of 1976’s "Bigger Than Both of Us", the two previous albums went gold. "Bigger" eventually became their first platinum LP and contained their first #1 single, "Rich Girl."

Hall, the more prolific writer of the two, began working with Robert Fripp on a solo LP, "Sacred Songs", which RCA refused to release until 1980. He also sang on Fripp’s "Exposure". Yet apart from the Top Twenty "It’s a Laugh" from "Along the Red Ledge" and "Wait for Me" from "X-Static", the duo hit a late-Seventies commercial slump.

Hall and Oates retrenched and decided to produce their next LP themselves. The result, 1980’s platinum "Voices", returned the duo to the singles chart with a vengeance, with "How Does It Feel to Be Back" (#30), "Kiss on My List" (#1), a cover of the Righteous Brothers "You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling" (#12), and "You Make My Dreams" (#5). The following year’s "Private Eyes" was similarly successful; the title cut and "I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do)" were both #1, while "Did It in a Minute" went Top Ten.

The album "H20" yielded still more hits with "Maneater" (#1), "Family Man" (#6), and "One On One" (#7). Even the two new songs included on a best-of LP, the double-platinum "Rock ‘n’ Soul, Part 1", cracked the Top Ten: "Say It Isn’t So" (#2, 1983) and "Adult Education" (#8, 1984).

"Big Bam Boom" incorporated a marked hip-hop influence and produced Hall and Oates’ sixth and last #1 hit, "Out of Touch," as well as "Method of Modern Love" (#5, 1985), "Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid" (#18, 1985), and "Possession Obsession" (#30, 1985).

After a live LP recorded at Harlem’s Apollo Theatre with former Temptations Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin, Hall and Oates took a three-year sabbatical, during which time Hall released a second solo album, "Three Hearts In The Happy Ending Machine". Its "Dreamtime" went Top Five in 1986.

Hall and Oates resumed recording together in 1988, but this third career phase was noticeably less successful. Their two albums, "Ooh Yeah!" and "Change of Season", contained only one hit apiece: "Everything Your Heart Desires" (#3, 1988) and "So Close" (#11, 1990).

It would be seven years before the pair would release another album. 1997's "Marigold Sky" was issued by an independent label called Push Records, that was partly owned by Daryl and John. As the duo continued to tour, another greatest hits compilation called "Behind The Music" was released in 2002, followed by a new studio album, "Do It For Love" in 2003.

2004 saw their next album, "Our Kind of Soul" peak at #69 on The Billboard 200, and John and Daryl continued to tour in support of the CD in 2005 and 2006.

November of 2006 brought another new album, "Home for Christmas" released on their own label, U-Watch / DKE Records. The 11-track disc includes classic and obscure holiday tracks as well as two originals that are a throwback to their older classics, like "Maneater", "Out of Touch" and "Private Eyes". "When you make a Christmas album, you have a delicate balance of doing something that's somewhat familiar so that it feels like a Christmas record," said John Oates, who wrote "No Child Should Ever Cry on Christmas" for the CD. "And at the same time you want to do something that's original so that you're not just basically karaoke-ing the past 30, 40, 50 years." Hall and Oates recorded the disc over several months in the Bahamas, upstate New York, London and Colorado, where Oates has a "mini ranchette."

Do What You Want, Be What You Are

I'm Just A Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man)

Sara Smile

Possession Obsession

You Make My Dreams Come True

It Doesn't Matter Anymore

Used To Be My Girl

Adult Education

Big fan. Maneater, Kiss On My List, Possession Obsession... all great songs.

I always thought John Oates was the better singer... and his mustache added to it all, lol.

This is from Daryl's 1993 solo album "Soul Alone". It's based on a Marvin Gaye song from "Here My Dear", but Daryl wrote different lyrics to it:
Stop Loving Me, Stop Loving You

"Im tired of plaaaayin over-t oh it seems iiiiiii don't get time out anymo-o-o-ore"

Love them! lol! I liked seeing them on the 'we are the world' anniversary special edition! There were alot of ppl on there that I didn't recognize at first!!!!

I always though Hall & Oates' "Maneater" sounded a lot like Stevie's "Part-Time Lover". Or vice-versa, I guess, since Maneater came out first I think.

haven't really explored them properly yet, though i did catch a gig they did two years ago in Toronto, totally by chance - dudes were selling cheap tickets outside the theatre to fill the the place, so we said why not. i didn't even know who they were back then lol great music, though.

I always though Hall & Oates' "Maneater" sounded a lot like Stevie's "Part-Time Lover". Or vice-versa, I guess, since Maneater came out first I think.
You sure know how to fit Stevie in a thread, no matter what it's about, lol. It's like "The six degrees of Kevin Bacon". :p

I knew I'd get called on that one of these days :lol:

It comes from not having a Stevie board online, and the fact that many MJ fans are Stevie fans. That's actually how I got into Hall & Oates. I'm not a huge fan or anything, but they've got a handful of songs I like. I just haven't taken the time to get to them yet. But when it comes to pop and light rock and stuff, they're just the style I like.

"I can't go for that." Really smooth song, great stuff.
De La Soul used that for a song called "Say No Go". Hall and Oates liked it so much that they used De La Soul's arrangement in concert a few times in the early 1990s

By Gary Eskow April 1, 2006 12:00 pm
mixonline.com

One night in 1981, after a long day spent working on the Private Eyes album, the crowd cleared out of Electric Lady Studios (New York City). Hall, Oates, engineer Neil Kernon and a bunch of instruments and amplifiers that had been left turned on were all that remained. For almost a year, a phrase — “I can't go for that, no can do” — had been knocking around Hall's head. Now it was moving into his body.
“Remember the old Roland CompuRhythm box?” he asks. “I turned to the Rock and Roll 1 preset, sat down at a Korg organ that happened to be lying there and started to play this bass line that was coming to me. It's the old recording studio story: The engineer heard what I was doing and turned on the tape machine. Good thing, because I'm the kind of person who will come up with an idea and forget it. The chords came together in about 10 minutes, and then I heard a guitar riff, which I asked John, who was sitting in the booth, to play.”
“I remember that moment clearly,” says Oates. When we spoke, the relaxed and affable Oates had just dropped his 9-year-old son off at his math tutor and had plenty of time to talk on the cell phone before the lesson ended. Oates and his wife live in the mountains outside of Aspen, Colo., and homeschool their child. “The old Compurhythm had four presets: Rock 1, Rock 2, cha cha/samba and some other stupid beat. We both had them in our houses, and one was sitting in the studio.
“We cut everything live back then, but sometimes used the Roland box to come up with a tempo,” Oates continues. “Anyway, Daryl came up with this great bass line, using whatever sound happened to be on the organ, and Neil miked it and the drum machine.
“Daryl came up with the ‘B’ section chords, and then I plugged my 1958 Strat directly into the board, which was either an early SSL or a Trident. We were beginning to experiment with digital samplers — the Fairlight and Synclavier in particular — but were still recording analog. At any rate, Daryl sang a guitar part idea, I started to experiment with a muting thing and the part evolved on the spot.”
Did they think about adding another guitar part? “No, never!” Oates says. “When we play ‘I Can't Go for That’ in concert, I usually play some shimmery parts, but there was a leanness to the '80s sound that we were into. The Cars and other groups had that straight, simple eighth-note feel, and it was an influence on us; it was one of the cool things about '80s music. The '70s were Rococo, but punk and new wave flavored the '80s, and we responded to those styles.”
After Hall laid down a bell track, the assembled gathering called it a night. The following day, Hall sat down with his longtime collaborator, Sara Allen, and fleshed out the lyrics. “I wrote most of the lyrics,” says Hall, “but Sara contributed some ideas. I sang the lead vocal, and there's the song — can't get any simpler than that!”
A saxilo (similar to a clarinet, but with an upturned bell) solo by Charlie DeChant, percussion overdubs to put a feel on top of the CompuRhythm track and the trademark Hall & Oates lush, triple-tracked backgrounds — all fitting neatly on one roll of 2-inch tape — were all that was required to turn “I Can't Go for That” into a monster hit: It made it all the way to Number One on the Billboard Pop Singles chart at the end of January 1982, on the heels of another Number One from the previous fall, “Private Eyes.” It also hit Number One on the R&B chart, a singular feat in their distinguished history. These were heady times for the duo: Between 1981 and 1985, they landed 12 songs in the Top 10 of Billboard's Hot 100 pop singles chart. Also, the Private Eyes album made it to Number 5, tied for their highest position on the LP chart.
As it turns out, this infectious frisson had a great influence on the pop music that would follow. Listening to “I Can't Go for That” after letting it drift out of the mind for a while, one can clearly identify this track — one of the first pop hits to feature a drum machine — as a precursor to Michael Jackson's “Billie Jean” and the generation of songs built on drum machine tracks that came in its wake.
“No question about it,” Hall agrees. “Michael Jackson once said directly to me that he hoped I didn't mind that he copped that groove. That's okay; it's something we all do. [Eddie] Van Halen told me that he copied the synth part from ‘Kiss on My List’ and used it in ‘Jump.’ I don't have a problem with that at all.

I love some of Hall and Oats songs especially this song:

Maneater

This has always been of my favorite 80s songs. And another thing that I like is that John Hall is the only celebrity (That I know of) that had graduated from the same high school that I had graduated from.

I have always liked "Dreamtime" and the song from the 1994 Soccer world cup "Gloryland". 'I can't go for that' is excellent also

^^^^I remember the Paul Young remake was much more popular.

I love Hall & Oates. One of these days I'm going to get a good greatest hits collection.

I love Hall & Oates. One of these days I'm going to get a good greatest hits collection.
Here's a box set that was released last year. It has songs feom all the different labels H&O have been on.

hall-and-oates-do-what-you-want-be-what-you-are1.jpg

John W. Barry, Poughkeepsie Journal February 18, 2016
B9317110217Z.1_20150502165511_000_GKPAKJ1PQ.1-0.jpg

Daryl’s House in Pawling, the music venue and restaurant operated by Daryl Hall of Hall and Oates, plans on adding an outdoor stage with a capacity of more than 1,000.

Daryl’s House has announced that its 2016 Backyard Concert Series will kick off with Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings on May 27 and former Ulster County resident Todd Rundgren on May 29, with additional concerts to follow.

But Town of Pawling Supervisor David Kelly said the project, while under review by the town, has not received final approvals. Kelly lauded Hall for the positive impact Daryl’s House has had on Pawling, but said Hall’s landlord, Jay Maxwell, must receive all approvals before any outdoor shows are staged.

Plans call for the stage to sit behind Daryl’s House, with a lawn for standing and lawn chairs, according to Pat Ryan, marketing director and promoter representative for the restaurant and music venue. Neither Maxwell nor a representative for Hall could be reached.

Hall is a former Dutchess County resident and current resident of Connecticut who opened Daryl’s House on Oct. 31, 2014. Daryl’s House occupies the old location for the Towne Crier Café, which is now located in Beacon.

Hall and band mate John Oates are members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and, as Hall and Oates, one of the most successful rock acts ever.

They are well known for such songs as “Private Eyes” and “Maneater.” The duo performed at the opening of Daryl’s House, which has a capacity of 200 for shows with reserved seating and 300 for standing room performances.

Hall for years filmed his Internet and cable television music program, “Live From Daryl’s House,” at his former home in Millerton. Since moving to Connecticut, he has filmed the show, without an audience, at Daryl’s House in Pawling.

Hall moved to Millbrook in 1985, then later relocated to Millerton. He sold his home in Millerton in August 2013 and moved to Connecticut.

The mid-Hudson Valley, Hall told the Journal last year, "reminds me of my childhood. I like nature. I like living in beauty, in a beautiful environment. I love being around animals and nature and all the things country life is about."

Hall and Oates on Friday are scheduled to perform at Madison Square Garden, with Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings as one of the opening acts.

VIDEO: Hall and Oates' Daryl Hall brings star power to Dutchess

I really love Hall and Oates. They're two guys that just one day realized I just loved all their stuff-it just snuck up on me. They're coming here in a few months-I think I'd like to go see them.

Back