En Vogue

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Cindy, Dawn, Maxine, and Terry on the November 7, 2008 episode of "Don't Forget The Lyrics"

first got introduced to them, like many other acts, through UK Garage in late 90s when remixes of hot US tunes became club classics.

2hmlguf.jpg

Whatever (Tuff Jam 2 In 1 Mix)

Hold On (Tuff Jam's Classic Garage Mix)

Cindy, Dawn, Maxine, and Terry on the November 7, 2008 episode of "Don't Forget The Lyrics"
LOL that was cool, i've never come across that program, i need to watch more tv, lol. Wayne Brady
f_laugh.gif

first got introduced to them, like many other acts, through UK Garage in late 90s when remixes of hot US tunes became club classics.
They're my all time favorite girl group. I'm glad that Dawn returned. I've like them since "Born To Sing" came out. It's hard to believe that next year is their 20th anniversary. They look the same. Cindy's keeping them in shape, lol.

I am thrilled to see this. Thank you for posting. My 2 fav Girl bands of all time are En vogue and Destiny's Child.
So happy to see Dawn backmin the group, she has an amazing voice.

they had a massive hit in middle 90s Don't Let Go, already a classic. i was totally obsessed with that song and could listen to it all day long and still remember nearly every scene of the video lol. they all sound amazing together with so much soul and passion in their voices.

since then i haven't heard anything more, even didn’t know they still exist as a group, lol. thanks for enlightening.
they look and sound great after all the years. would be cool to hear some new stuff from them

the original version of the song Hold On has a nice intro with J5 Who's Loving You:

How come nobody is saying how sexy these ladies are? lol! I remember watching them perform at The Soul train music awards (same show where MJ was performing RTT on a chair) performing Chaka's "Tell me something" .Very hot, I tell you.

]since then i haven't heard anything more, even didn’t know they still exist as a group, lol. thanks for enlightening.
they look and sound great after all the years. would be cool to hear some new stuff from them
They never broke up, although Dawn Robinson left after the 3rd album (EV3) was finished. She's on the album, but not on the cover photos or videos. She joined Lucy Pearl after that and did a solo album. Terry Ellis put out a solo album as well. Maxine left for a little while as well, because of pregnancy (and she thought their producers Thomas & McElroy's sound was tired & played out). So they (Cindy & Terry) did one album with Rhona Bennett called "Soul Flower" in 2004. Rhona was an actress who was on the Jamie Foxx Show. She's also a songwriter. The weird thing about the Soulflower album is that Rhona is doing most of the leads, when she's the new member, and also on previous albums leads were equally split. Stevie Wonder got the original 4 together (plus Prince on guitar) on his 2005 song "So What The Fuss".

they had a massive hit in middle 90s Don't Let Go, already a classic. i was totally obsessed with that song and could listen to it all day long and still remember nearly every scene of the video lol. they all sound amazing together with so much soul and passion in their voices.

>

I've always loved "Don't Let Go", it really showcases thier vocals so well. En Vogue is one of my all time faves, these ladies can really saaaaaang! I am glad they are back together.

i like envogue, beyonce is going to remake one of their songs for her new album it was stated earlier this week

Definitely one of the best groups from the nineties. I can't believe it's been 20 yrs :lol:

SWV was alright, but the only thing I remember about Total was that 2 of the members claimed to be lesbians, lol. I didn't really keep up with R&B of the time. I just remember acts like 2 Unlimited.

^^ Really, LOL, one of them is married to actor Omar epps now, SWV had some great Teddy Riley cuts, Right here, Im so into you, and Anything feat Wu-Tang

SWV was alright, but the only thing I remember about Total was that 2 of the members claimed to be lesbians, lol. I didn't really keep up with R&B of the time. I just remember acts like 2 Unlimited.

To me.. En Vogue and TLC were the best modern girl groups so much better than the overrated Destiny Childs.

Female vocal groups

To me.. En Vogue and TLC were the best modern girl groups so much better than the overrated Destiny Childs.
Although they were not well known, I think Brownstone was better than TLC. Brownstone was 2nd to En Vogue to me as far as singing was concerned. But TLC had a more unique image, they were like the female version of Bell Biv Devoe. I think TLC only works as a unit though, I can't see them as solo acts. As far as DC is concerned, I think the original quartet had better songs than the later more popular version. I do like Michelle Williams' gospel songs, but Kelly & Beyonce's solo stuff isn't really any good and neither was Michelle's pop album. At least Beyonce's sister Solange tried to find her own sound (although she just basically copied Joss Stone's retro music but without Joss' vocal ability, lol). En Vogue & Brownstone could be put with older groups like The Emotions or the Jones Girls.

Re: Female vocal groups

Although they were not well known, I think Brownstone was better than TLC. Brownstone was 2nd to En Vogue to me as far as singing was concerned. But TLC had a more unique image, they were like the female version of Bell Biv Devoe. I think TLC only works as a unit though, I can't see them as solo acts. As far as DC is concerned, I think the original quartet had better songs than the later more popular version. I do like Michelle Williams' gospel songs, but Kelly & Beyonce's solo stuff isn't really any good and neither was Michelle's pop album. At least Beyonce's sister Solange tried to find her own sound (although she just basically copied Joss Stone's retro music but without Joss' vocal ability, lol). En Vogue & Brownstone could be put with older groups like The Emotions or the Jones Girls.

I agree with everything. I just dig TLC because there music was positive and they presented a positive image for young women. Envogue was classy as well... I agree about DC the original line up was better and the early music from the 90's was a little better lol. You know I hear so many people say Solange album was so much better than anything Beyonce has ever came out with lol I have to check it out...

My favorites are "My lovin'/Never gonna get it" and "Free your mind" and "WhattaMan" with Salt'N'Peppa. I do not like anything other than that.

I remember how the video for "Don't let go(love) was constantly shown on Channel [V] and MTV.

'Ev3' (1999) is their best album imo. Truly iconic; and their previous 2 albums are amazing as well.

Back