December 12 - 14 (Update on post #66)

mariemarie

Guests
Chris Bond: The real reason bands get back together? Just ask Pink Floyd...

Published Date: 12 December 2008

WHEN I heard that Pink Floyd's Richard Wright had passed away a few months back, it saddened me for two reasons.

Firstly, because the music world had lost not only a great keyboard player, but a talented songwriter responsible for such classic songs as The Great Gig in the Sky, and Us and Them.

Secondly, and more selfishly, it meant that I'd never be able to see Pink Floyd live. I'd always stubbornly refused to go and watch them on the grounds that without another original band member, Roger Waters, it wasn't really Pink Floyd.

Purists will say, well what about Syd Barrett? But he wasn't with the band during their '70s heyday when they created such masterpieces as Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, Waters was.

So it was with no small amount of envy that I sat in front of the TV and watched the band's reunion concert for Live 8 three years ago, wishing I was there.

Which brings me on to Blur, who announced this week that they were getting back together.

The former Britpop poster boys are doing a concert in London's Hyde Park next summer after Damon Albarn and Graham Coxon confirmed they had put their well-publicised differences behind them. "It just felt it was right again," claimed Albarn.

This may well be the case, and at least those who pay their 45 quid to go and watch them will be seeing the original line-up.

The same can't be said of some other bands. The Doors, for instance, would require a miracle of Lazarus-like proportions in order to get back together.

Sometimes, however, the miraculous can actually happen. Guitarist Glenn Frey was once asked if the Eagles would ever tour again, to which he famously replied: "When hell freezes over."

It was actually 12 years between their acrimonious split and them getting back together, a little sooner than Frey's apocalyptic prediction.

There are some bands, though, that have become bigger than their component parts.

The Rolling Stones will probably keep going as long as Mick and Keith do, and the same goes for Oasis and the Gallagher brothers.

However, the reason so many other acts have reformed is down to demand. Because when it comes to rock and pop music we wallow in misty-eyed nostalgia for the bands we grew up listening to.

Which would be fine if it hadn't spawned a whole industry that has, in recent years, seen just about every one-hit wonder and has-been under the sun jumping on the bandwagon.

So who's next? Given Michael Jackson's well-documented financial problems, it will probably only be a matter of time before he's back on stage doing ABC again. Because let's face it, beyond all the back-slapping and cheesy smiles, we know why most bands get back together – and who can blame them?

As Pink Floyd once said – "Money, it's a hit".

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/columnists/Chris-Bond-The-real-reason.4788685.jp

Frances Milliken '09 and Matt Eshelman '09

If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your life, what would it be?

FM: "The White Album" by the Beatles.

ME: "Don't You Fake It" by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. I want to thank A-Board or I would have never discovered this incredibly talented band.​

Favorite song to dance/rock out to?

FM: "Jerusalem" by Mirah. I've been caught twice on campus.

ME: "What's Up With You" by Eddie Murphy and Michael Jackson.

Today in
Michael Jackson History[/center]
1992 - Michael Jackson's single "Heal The World" hit #2 in the U.K.

1995 - Michael Jackson left Beth Israel Medical Center North in a white van. Jackson was hospitalized after collapsing in a New York theater while rehearsing for a TV special on December 6.

15_heal_the_world.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: December 12 - 14 Weekends news and mentionings

Beginning with a highlights tour to major cities worldwide, Julien's Auctions will host a 7 day museum quality exhibition at 9900 Wilshire adjacent to The Beverly Hilton (California, USA) open to the public on April 14-20, 2009.

Thanks for posting rockstar.

I really like the way this whole thing is being handled. They took their time (5 months) and the entire thing just seems so classy and well done.

I mean, the auction highlights will first be seen in major cities around the world, that's HUGE, in my opinion.

As Rasta Pasta would say: "LOVE IT!"

Thanks for posting the news Marie.

I am excited about the auction situation.

Me too. I'm curious to see all his stuff!

Thanks for the news. But, ya know.......that first article sounded more like a rant than 'thought out' information, imo. Sounds like this guy is still just mulling over his loss of never seeing Pink Floyd the same again.

And I too am also becoming excited for this auction. I wanna get the tv channel just so I can watch it. Cause LORD knows I don't got the money to buy s**t, lol!

Me too. I'm curious to see all his stuff!

Yep, me too!

It sort of gives you a PEEK into his life, but he's in control of that peek. Another thing is his art collection, which I have heard about for years. If any of those pieces go up for auction, it's gonna be interesting to see some of the art work he has collected over the years.

Also in the company is Ricko Baird. Baird is an accomplished dancer and award winning choreographer who co-choreographed Jackson's "You Rock My World" and doubled for him in the video. Baird has danced in concerts and videos for both Michael and Janet Jackson, Britney Spears, Tina Turner and others.

I didn't know Mike had a double in that video.
Which part(s) is Baird in?
Why did he use a double?

^^^ wonders too..

I didn't know Mike had a double in that video.
Which part(s) is Baird in?
Why did he use a double?

I've never known that neither.

probably when they fought in the fire...

Baird. Baird is an accomplished dancer and award winning choreographer who co-choreographed Jackson's "You Rock My World" and doubled for him in the video
when YRMW Video has been released there was a rumour resp. a claim in the tabloids that Michael furthermore would not be able to do moves like he did in the Video. But this was only a CLAIM, I never have heard that it could be true.

Someone should ask the Thriller live crew, if they are able to confirm such an allegation.

I have sent already an email to them.

Thanks for posting rockstar.

I really like the way this whole thing is being handled. They took their time (5 months) and the entire thing just seems so classy and well done.

I mean, the auction highlights will first be seen in major cities around the world, that's HUGE, in my opinion.

As Rasta Pasta would say: "LOVE IT!"

your walcome ;)

"lso in the company is Ricko Baird. Baird is an accomplished dancer and award winning choreographer who co-choreographed Jackson's "You Rock My World" and doubled for him in the video."

Never ever hire this man again. YRMW's dance sucked...

i liked the yrmw dance..but rumours carry on..

the first article writer can dream on. get in line behind all those other media tosses who think that MJ is not in control and desperate. they are desperately wrong. all this passing time should tell those low i.q. dunderheads that, by now.

thanks everyone

Anyone figure out which part he doubled for MJ?

It probably was the spins. :unsure:

But that's just a wild guess... or maybe he jumped on the table, lol. Or did that one-two jump, lol. I know Mike did that one choreographed number...I think. :lol:

Michael's had body doubles in several of his videos, like "RTT", it doesn't mean the dance sequences aren't his own. You know he can dance people, come on.

It probably was the spins. :unsure:

But that's just a wild guess... or maybe he jumped on the table, lol. Or did that one-two jump, lol. I know Mike did that one choreographed number...I think. :lol:

no..it was when he smacked that. lol :lol:

"lso in the company is Ricko Baird. Baird is an accomplished dancer and award winning choreographer who co-choreographed Jackson's "You Rock My World" and doubled for him in the video."

Never ever hire this man again. YRMW's dance sucked...
I dunno, there are parts I liked parts I didnt. It werent his best dance routine but it could have been worse.

Michael's dancing in "YRMW" was excellent, he just didn't have time to put together anything brand new because of the pressure from Sony at that time, so it seems like a "recycled" routine, but his dancing was top notch.

YRMW didn't look recycled at all. Well, aside from the Smooth Criminal/Dangerous thing (the knife/flip). The routine looked like it was put together in a few minutes. No where near the quality of his previous ones. Maybe it did have to do with the Sony issues, maybe not. I still think MJ believed he was putting out something top quality, which he really did put his effort in it. But the dancing still sucked honestly.

Though, I still love the move he did upstairs and going down, which he also did at MSG. That was something he's never done before and I really like it.

The dancing didn't suck, it just wasn't fresh. But his dancing execution was very good. The routine itself was new, of course, but had similar elements to his past routines, which is why some people call it recycled, but Michael had zero time to put it together because he originally had planned for "Unbreakable" to be the first single and Sony dropped the bomb on him that it had to be "YRMW" and then gave him something like two weeks to put the video together. Michael doesn't even really like "YRMW" as a song that much.

be nices of MJ but MSG Live on DVD :yes: that be great and on cd too :yes:

Yeah, I understand that stuff. That still doesn't change how good or bad it was, it just justifies it. I'm not saying MJ is horrible because it wasn't his best, I'm just saying I really did not like it.

I'm really curious as to what he wanted to do with Unbreakable.

Back