Bad article about "Bad" (Time 1988)

hehehe i cant believe it bad is michael jacksons best album ever so many great songs so many songs that last in time.for me all these are just b.s.

Last edited:
"people are crazy" Michael jackson ,Ebony Magazine,

I just think that some people can't except that Michael Jackson can make a better album than Thriller. People have seemed to have brain washed themselves into thinking that Thriller is gonna be the only good album that Michael ever does.

I'm seeing it a few times with MJ's new album now where people are saying ''The quailty of his new album will never top Thriller'' so without evan hearing the new album they've allready set their minds into thinking that the new album isn't gonna be as good as Thriller lol

I think it's more about his surgery and his new style of music with Bad, maybe people want just he stay in his old style and do the same kind of music.

I just think that some people can't except that Michael Jackson can make a better album than Thriller. People have seemed to have brain washed themselves into thinking that Thriller is gonna be the only good album that Michael ever does.

I'm seeing it a few times with MJ's new album now where people are saying ''The quailty of his new album will never top Thriller'' so without evan hearing the new album they've allready set their minds into thinking that the new album isn't gonna be as good as Thriller lol

If I'm not mistaken, Rolling Stone also gave a really bad review on Thriller. The album was criticized thoroughly. But they changed their review after Thriller made the phenomenal impact.

Can someone confirm this? Mistermaxx, anyone? Or did I get the wrong magazine.

boo. Rolling Stone don't know good music!!!!! LOL
yeah, I think they gave thriller a review that was not the best......
It doesn't really matter though, it's just someone's opinion

If I'm not mistaken, Rolling Stone also gave a really bad review on Thriller. The album was criticized thoroughly. But they changed their review after Thriller made the phenomenal impact.

Can someone confirm this? Mistermaxx, anyone? Or did I get the wrong magazine.

I remember someone once posted Thriller's reviews and none of them were very good lol. It was said that Thriller was average and that Quincy gave a young artist too much freedom on the album. I can't remember if Rolling Stone was one of the sources though.

The problem is not just some reviews by some journalists, but a poll with 23000 fans of music in 1988, after the exploitation of Bad.

The article say clearly:

"Bad, as all hipsters know, can also mean good. But when it comes to Michael Jackson, a lot of music fans think Bad is positively the worst. In a poll of 23,000 readers released by Rolling Stone this week, the Gloved One hit rock bottom in eight categories, including "worst male singer," "worst dressed," "worst album ((Bad))" and "worst single ((Bad))." The backlash has more to do with the singer's quirky personality than his music, says Rolling Stone Music Editor David Wild: "People are responding negatively to his image and to the hype. The category he should have won is 'worst image' or 'least understood.' " Even so, Jackson's album has sold 4 million copies and spawned three Top Ten singles, which isn't half bad."

The article hits the nail on the head

Yes, it what Time think about that, they try to explain that like they want, but the poll still a public opinion about the album "Bad", and it's really a worst opinion, they don't just think that the album is just average, they think that it was the worst, I think it's a big difference !!!!.

In my opinion I don´t think Bad is half as interesting as Thriller and dangerus. but still a good album, but not something I lisen to very much.

See yourself, despite the success, people don't seem like his new style with Bad in 1988, he was in lot of worst category in this time "worst album", "worst single" etc...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,966810,00.html

What do you think about that ?

it's called envy. MJ is mega succesful and people back then have a problem with it. it's the same way with Invincible. a long road of success, and therefore an envious bad article about the album, just because of sour grapes. and that poll could have been rigged. besides, the album sold well as the answering reporter in the article stated. the answering reporter from..ironically...rolling stone had his finger on the pulse of what's right. MJ is least understood. people didn't like 'the way he was living' and expressed their sour grapes. they don't like that this magic music is attached to MJ, the way that he is.

Average?

Below average?

MAN IN THE MIRROR?
DIRTY DIANA?
SMOOTH CRIMINAL?
LIBERIAN GIRL?
THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL?

AVERAGE?

Should I go on?

Yes, it what Time think about that, they try to explain that like they want, but the poll still a public opinion about the album "Bad", and it's really a worst opinion, they don't just think that the album is just average, they think that it was the worst, I think it's a big difference !!!!.
And 20 years after the release, people's opinions on Bad has changed dramatically

And 20 years after the release, people's opinions on Bad has changed dramatically

Have you a proof of that ? Peoples seem remember well of Thriller, but I don't think really of Bad, but I can do a mistake.

People in this time seem to want another Thriller, maybe they don't like the way he have changed his style.

boo. Rolling Stone don't know good music!!!!! LOL

I agree, and that's why in 2008 they only voted Michael 25th on there Greatest Vocalists of All Time. Michael should have been in the Top 3 (No.1 in my opinion).

I remember reading some USA magazine's when Bad was first released in 1987, and the articles about him were harsh (tame by today's standards). Back in the 1980's releasing a new album after almost 5yrs was very rare (it's quite common for artists now), and Michael's new Bad image was a shock to many. But the thing is as soon as the album hit No.1 the singles in the USA started started hitting No.1 after 5 releases etc, and the Bad Tour kicked off in Japan in 1987 the media were in praise of Michael Jackson.

Unfortunately the trend for the media post Thriller album, for each new Michael Jackson release is for them to write negative articles about Michael and his new album. I remember just before the single I Just Can't Stop Loving You was released, and the tabloid The Sun said they carried out a servey about the new single and said most people hate it and it will be a flop. To The Sun it was the end of Michael's career, but I Just Can't Stop Loving You was released and it went to No.1. It may be a forgotten single and not one of Michael's best songs, but it was the start of proplely the best set of singles Michael ever released from and album, and the most exicting Michael Jackson era to date.

Have you a proof of that ? Peoples seem remember well of Thriller, but I don't think really of Bad, but I can do a mistake.

People in this time seem to want another Thriller, maybe they don't like the way he have changed his style.

well screw people!

the albums that came after thriller just got more and more mature IMO.

just look at the topics,texts,videos... especially Dangerous and HIStory...masterpieces? i think so.

lol that article made me laugh. imo Bad the album was better than Thriller. I never cared a lot for that particular single, though, I mean it's okay, but there are many absolutely SUPERB songs on that album which have stood the test of time, not to mention the album itself is the #2 best selling of all time, hahahaha! Take THAT Rolling Stone!

Of course, me just being a child in that era I never knew Michael to be any different than the black guy with the sunglasses who dressed like royalty and/or with buckles, had a cool glove, got burned, had a high voice, grabbed his crotch a lot, and sang fabulously. I didn't know who the young Michael was or what his music had been like. It was just the MJ norm as far as I was concerned. I never thought anything of it or that his image had undergone any type of "change". And to me most singers have odd quirks anyway, myself included, so I thought MJ was just cool the way he was. Still IS.

So many great songs: The Way You Make Me Feel, Liberian Girl, Smooth Criminal, Man In the Mirror, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana
Enough said.

Back