Regarding album certifications..

MoeJack

Proud Member
So Sony hasn't certified any of MJ's albums like off the wall, bad, dangerous, and history since atleast the start of the decade..and some dating back to the 90s. I'm talking about u.s. sales but mainly about world wide sales. Why haven't they done that. Aren't they obligated to certify an album once it reaches the million mark? Or do they do it when they feel like it. Bad and Dangerous sales have been at about 29 million and 30 million respectively for worldwide sales for quite a while now..several years. And the data indicates that Michael's albums have never ceased to sell more copies..any of his albums..only in smaller numbers. so I'm under the impression that by now...some of his albums must have gained maybe 2 million copies and some as much as 5 million more I'm sure. So what's up with that?

Besides wanting to know these sales information, I also think it's important for Michael's credit that these albums' true sales figures be reported because people think that thriller made michael a one hit wonder. Many think that Thriller's sales are so far beyond any of his other albums that it appears that Michael's was at the height of his music creativity with that album alone and that everything else has been lackluster, which isn't true at all. This is also due in part to the fact Thriller's sales have been reported to be about 104 million, which I think is awesome ofcourse. But there's no doubt that those sales include singles, etc. Which is fine with me, but when you put 104 million next to his second best selling album, dangerous with 30 million..I think you know where I'm going. Thriller's true sales as of 2003 were at 60 million copies. By now..I would say it is at about 65 million. And with the updates on his other album sales, Dangerous and Bad are probably closer to 35 million now..which relatively speaking isn't as far off from thriller considering it was cultural phenomenon. I think many people don't realize just how successful his Bad album and especially his Dangerous album were compared to his other works like Thriller. I really think that Sony should update the sales, and give solid coherent figures for all his albums.

well i guess sony would have to pay mj the money they owe him so thats why they dont get them recertifyed. why mjs never taken action over this is dunno. my only guess is that he has no clue

So Sony have to actually give Mike his money..it doesn't just directly go to him? That's odd..

Would be soo very nice if the re-certificated all his albums!!

Before his new album gets released. Would be a good start!

If thriller was recertified, ALL the rumours about the eagles selling more than MJ would be put to an end!

A record company isn't required to certify anything. Berry Gordy was infamous for not reporting or underreporting sales. A lot of labels before the 1970s would underreport sales so they wouldn't have to pay as much taxes or royalties. Some labels would buy their thousands of their own records to have a higher position on the charts. Even sales today aren't really accurate. Mom and Pop stores don't have soundscan, some record stores will buy albums that are only sold in a certain store, like Wal-Mart with The Eagles last album, so the CD in question will be counted twice. If someone buys a used CD at a pawn shop or used record store or free CD's given away by radio stations, it doesn't count. Albums that are sold through record clubs like Columbia or BMG aren't counted in total sales. If an act has a multi-CD album, each CD is counted separate. So if someone sells 10 CD's, it's counted as 20 albums. People who sell street CDs or bootlegs aren't counted, obviously. So none of it is acurate anyway.

That's only for USA sales, not total sales.

You are right about that, BUT world wide has never been a problem. Everyone has always known that Worldwide MJ's Thriller is the biggest selling album.

So only US is a problem!

Yea, and even Mike himself said that only U.S. was the problem when he was interviewed by Ed Bradley in 2003 regarding the trial. I'm really curious to know what he was going to say. He said that it was a conspiracy and the he didn't want to say too much..Interesting..

we know worldwide nobody has mj beat. the record companys always been shady with the actual details.

Isn't he recognized worldwide for "Thriller"? I mean I could care less about my country because really no other non-greatest hits studio album has yet done what it did. Technically the Eagles are number-one in AMERICA and Queen is number-one in ENGLAND ("Thriller" #2 in U.S., #9 in ENGLAND, #1 on ALL-TIME WORLDWIDE list).

What's the big deal?

The point really wasn't about thriller, but about the rest of MJ's albums which aren't getting enough credit at all...

^^ Yeah I was only saying all of that to prove a point, lol. But seriously I doubt they will ever get recertified. Like elusive said, Sony gonna have to pay upfront to Mike and so far it looks like it'll stay the way it is.

Back