Update on MJJC's download policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiveintomeMJ

Proud Member
Dear members,
In response to recent news regarding the music industry's stance on illegal downloads, MJJC will be updating our rules regarding 2000 Watts.

As of today, MJJC will now allow members to share unreleased/rare tracks so long as the following rules are followed:

1) The download is on an upload site such as megaupload

2) The download is NOT password protected

3) The member shares the download freely without requiring additional steps, such as "thank you" or PMing the member. Downloads must be shared with the entire community equally. If you need a thank you, then find a different community to share with.

Released tracks such as Smooth Criminal, Thriller, etc. are still NOT allowed and we encourage our members to purchase them legally.

MJJC admins encourage our members to read our DMCA policy which can be found at: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3708&Itemid=149

MJJC thanks all that choose to share their wonderful tracks with our members in the past, present, and future.

I hope this means that finally we'll get to hear songs like Men In Black, the full versions of Slapstick and Starlight, and other rare songs that only a few have heard.

"unreleased/rare tracks " : so this means you will propose tracks that will be CLEARED and AUTHORIZED by MJJ Productions and Sony Music, right ?
If so, that is excellent news.

I hope this means that finally we'll get to hear songs like Men In Black, the full versions of Slapstick and Starlight, and other rare songs that only a few have heard.
I doubt that, cause some selfish fans have decided to not upload them.

Giveintome, but what if some of us disagree with the new rules? Should we voice it over here or communicate with the mod, say to you directly?

I still remember the MJ Unity Statement endorsed by MJJ Productions and Michael Jackson regarding to Xscape. Mchael was upset with the leaking.

i think with Xcape the situation was diffrent, since it was due for a future album/release, that is why they were upset.
But with songs like Starlight, which is like a 25 year old demo they probably do not have future plans.
I believe if songs from Michael`s new album would be leaked those were not be allowed here on MJJC either:)

But with songs like Starlight, which is like a 25 year old demo they probably do not have future plans.
Probably doesn't mean never. :) We don't know Michael's plans about Starlight and the other demos of Thriller. However is a fact Michael doesn't want Starlight to be released/leaked now. Most of the demos of Thriller session have been completely remastered for the T25 project but just few of them have been released in the last year, being The Girl Is Mine (out on TGIM '08 cd single), Got The Hots (T25 Japanese edition) and Carousel (out on some King Of Pop editions).
I believe if songs from Michael`s new album would be leaked those were not be allowed here on MJJC either:)
I disagree. It doesn't matter how old a song is. If it's unreleased, it should remain unreleased and it's illegal to share unreleased songs...we all do that but we know it's illegal. Fans can always share songs in other ways though, like email, PM, IM but not in public forums.

Everyone can do whatever they want with these unreleased songs. It's up to them to share the songs in public with other fans...BUT then I'd suggest fans to not complain in future if these songs won't be officially released by Sony and/or Michael.

my reply was mainly about Xcape...that i tink they were upset about it back then, coz they had some plans on putting it on an album released in the near future like Number Ones. Or like they put Shout on the Cry single. Xcap was leaked in high CD quality...so it ruined all.

Xcap was leaked in high CD quality...so it ruined all.
Exactly....BUT some fans continued to share it in public forums/websites (maybe just to gain popularity for their websites) despite Michael was upset of the leakage.

And now, according to this new rule about unreleased songs, we are allowed to share download link of Xscape.

I'm with Sunset Driver on this matter.

Besides every unreleased song still has the potential to be polished, reworked and to be released in the future eg. Earth Song demo was produced circa Dangerous but only to be released in History. If it was leaked to the public and fans before its time, Earth Song most probably do not see the light outside Michael's vault.

I know that we are eager and anticipate to hear anything 'new' from Michael but note that there is a line that should not be crossed.

Songs like Xscape and Hold My Hand are prohibited from MJJC as they were deemed as future releases and therefore illegally leaked. Songs that are leaked (Hold my Hand is a great example) or songs that are leaked off of a soon to be released album will not be allowed on MJJC and in the 2000 Watts forum.

A 25 year old unreleased track can be placed in 2000 Watts It isn't hurting anybody :lol:

Again, much like youtube and brightcove, we will remove any song that violates a copyright infringement once we're approached by MJJ Productions, Sony, Universal, etc. It's as simple as that! :yes:

songs that are leaked off of a soon to be released album will not be allowed on MJJC and in the 2000 Watts forum.

A 25 year old unreleased track can be placed in 2000 Watts It isn't hurting anybody :lol:
And how do you know that 25 years old unreleased tracks (especially Startlight) won't get released in future releases?:scratch:

Probably doesn't mean never. :) We don't know Michael's plans about Starlight and the other demos of Thriller. However is a fact Michael doesn't want Starlight to be released/leaked now. Most of the demos of Thriller session have been completely remastered for the T25 project but just few of them have been released in the last year, being The Girl Is Mine (out on TGIM '08 cd single), Got The Hots (T25 Japanese edition) and Carousel (out on some King Of Pop editions).

I disagree. It doesn't matter how old a song is. If it's unreleased, it should remain unreleased and it's illegal to share unreleased songs...we all do that but we know it's illegal. Fans can always share songs in other ways though, like email, PM, IM but not in public forums.

Everyone can do whatever they want with these unreleased songs. It's up to them to share the songs in public with other fans...BUT then I'd suggest fans to not complain in future if these songs won't be officially released by Sony and/or Michael.

yeah..remember Hold My Hand.

One thing is NEW songs, another thing is OLD unreleased ones.
And btw, even when some old songs were leaked some years ago, that didn't stop Michael to release them afterward...like Monkey Business or the early version of Dangerous for example.

One thing is NEW songs, another thing is OLD unreleased ones.
And btw, even when some old songs were leaked some years ago, that didn't stop Michael to release them afterward...like Monkey Business or the early version of Dangerous for example.

i haven't heard much of the boxset before it was released. i doubt he would have released all that great stuff if it was leaked.

as for the 'selfish' fans..well..there you go. they want to be thanked.(and it's not even their stuff..it's their copy of Michael's stuff.
so how does MJ feel...or any musician? or any person who owns property? they want to be paid. and, in my experience, if i took somn that wasn't mine, even if the person i take from is nice about it, it came back to me, in karma-tic fashion...considering these hard economic times.

never say never with an unreleased song. you never know...

as the 'selfish' fans can attest..it's ok to share someone else's stuff..but when it's THEIR stuff..they don't wanna share.

that's why i have a problem with this new relaxing of things..but...hey...not my forum...

Last edited:
as for the 'selfish' fans..well..there you go. they want to be thanked.
so how does MJ feel...or any musician? they want to be paid.

as the 'selfish' fans can attest..it's ok to share someone else's stuff..but when it's THEIR stuff..they don't wanna share.

that's why i have a problem with this new relaxing of things..but...hey...not my forum...

it's humain nature :cheeky:

i haven't heard much of the boxset before it was released. i doubt he would have released all that great stuff if it was leaked.

as for the 'selfish' fans..well..there you go. they want to be thanked.(and it's not even their stuff..it's their copy of Michael's stuff.
so how does MJ feel...or any musician? or any person who owns property? they want to be paid. and, in my experience, if i took somn that wasn't mine, even if the person i take from is nice about it, it came back to me, in karma-tic fashion...considering these hard economic times.

never say never with an unreleased song. you never know...

Well to me, those who have rare songs or rare videos and that brag about it but never share them, are selfish fans.

Michael, or anyone, can't really expect to be paid for something they aren't selling.

WOW! Do you guys have problems with Youtube?

Again we are only adopting the exact same policies as other file sharing/audio/video networking sites like Youtube, Brightcove, Fileden, etc. If our host or MJ Company, Mr. Jackson or anyone of his representatives, including but not limited to Sony Music, Warner Chappelle, Sony/ATV, MIJAC/MJJ Productions contacts us about copyright infringement we will immediately cease and remove the download link as specified in our DMCA agreement.

Also please be advised of the new RIAA ruling:

Music industry drops effort to sue song swappers
By RYAN NAKASHIMA, AP Business Writer Ryan Nakashima, Ap Business Writer – Sat Dec 20, 9:40 am ET

LOS ANGELES – The group representing the U.S. recording industry said Friday it has abandoned its policy of suing people for sharing songs protected by copyright and will work with Internet service providers to cut abusers' access if they ignore repeated warnings.

The move ends a controversial program that saw the Recording Industry Association of America sue about 35,000 people since 2003 for swapping songs online. Because of high legal costs for defenders, virtually all of those hit with lawsuits settled, on average for around $3,500. The association's legal costs, in the meantime, exceeded the settlement money it brought in.

The association said Friday that it stopped sending out new lawsuits and warnings in August, and then agreed with several leading U.S. Internet service providers, without naming which ones, to notify alleged illegal file-sharers and cut off service if they failed to stop.

It credited the lawsuit campaign with raising awareness of piracy and keeping the number of illegal file-sharers in check while the legal market for digital music took off. With two weeks left in the year, legitimate sales of digital music tracks soared for the first time past the 1 billion mark, up 28 percent over all of last year, according to Nielsen Soundscan.

"We're at a point where there's a sense of comfort that we can replace one form of deterrent with another form of deterrent," said RIAA Chairman and Chief Executive Mitch Bainwol. "Filing lawsuits as a strategy to deal with a big problem was not our first choice five years ago."

The new notification program is also more efficient, he said, having sent out more notices in the few months since it started than in the five years of the lawsuit campaign.

"It's much easier to send notices than it is to file lawsuits," Bainwol said.

The decision to scrap the legal attack was first reported in The Wall Street Journal.

The group says it will still continue to litigate outstanding cases, most of which are in the pre-lawsuit warning stage, but some of which are before the courts.

The decision to press on with existing cases drew the ire of Harvard Law professor Charles Nesson, who is defending a Boston University graduate student targeted in one of the music industry's lawsuits.

"If it's a bad idea, it's a bad idea," said Nesson. He is challenging the constitutionality of the suits, which, based on the Digital Theft Deterrence and Copyright Damages Improvement Act of 1999, can impose damages of $150,000 per infringement, far in excess of the actual damage caused.

Nesson's client, Joel Tenenbaum, faces the possibility of more than $1 million in damages for allegedly downloading seven songs illegally, which Nesson called "cruel and unusual punishment." The case is set to go to trial in district court in Massachusetts on Jan. 22.

Brian Toder, a lawyer with Chestnut & Cambronne in Minneapolis, who defended single mother Jammie Thomas in a copyright suit filed by the RIAA, said he is also set to retry the case March 9 after a judge threw out a $222,000 decision against her.

"I think it's a good thing that they've ended this campaign of going after people," Toder said. "But they need to change how people spend money on records," he said. "People like to share music. The Internet makes it so easy. They have to do something to change this business model of theirs."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back