Patrice Rushen - Heartache, Heartbreak (1984)

I've noticed you are pushing a lot of the oldies but goodies lately.

I like Patrice Rushen's style of music. She's another genius who has her stuff together since she was 5 years old.

I'm surprised that you didn't highlight her hit, "Haven't You Heard (I'm looking for you)" that was a hot song.

She has a lot of expressive sound to her music that makes you like it immediately. I'm surprised she's not showcasing her talents as much on the mainstream any more. I know she's doing stuff in the background because she's a producer, performer, musician and songwriter, but she should be still out there in front somewhere. We need some of the older greater performers to come back and sit these wet behind the ears puppies down on their butts to see how it's done.:D

Lady platinum, I agree with everything you pointed out about Patrice Rushen. This woman was the ish back in the day! Man, I can remember how she made a huge inpact. Everybody loved her. She got alot of well deserved respect from the guys in the industry too. They spoke very highly of her artistry and musical skills.

Did you know, it had been reported in either the very late 70's or very very early 80's that she was romantically linked to Prince? I first heard it on a show called "Solid Gold". My memory is getting bad can't recall the exact time frame, lol.

Lady platinum, I agree with everything you pointed out about Patrice Rushen. This woman was the ish back in the day! Man, I can remember how she made a huge inpact. Everybody loved her. She got alot of well deserved respect from the guys in the industry too. They spoke very highly of her artistry and musical skills.

Did you know, it had been reported in either the very late 70's or very very early 80's that she was romantically linked to Prince? I first heard it on a show called "Solid Gold". My memory is getting bad can't recall the exact time frame, lol.

No. I hadn't heard that before. I just knew that she was the music director of one of Janet's concert tours and has musically directed several other artists. Actually, I didn't really know that, I read it on the Music Choice Channel's details provided about her as an artist during the playback of her songs.

Those Music Choice Channels are great for listening to old and new music, but mostly jogging my memory of the good music of some time ago.

I wonder what she's doing now, probably still creating and producing. I haven't heard much about her career in the last 10-15 years.

That's not true. Prince tried to get with her in the late 1970s and wrote "I Wanna Be Your Lover" to her, but she rejected him.

That's not true. Prince tried to get with her in the late 1970s and wrote "I Wanna Be Your Lover" to her, but she rejected him.

Thanks for your info Duran, I didn't post as fact which is why I made it clear that it had been "Reported".

I never knew about the "I wanna be your lover". Damn! I love that song! Thats one of my favorite Prince song.

^^ That's more believable. :lol: Patrice probably knew what Prince was capable of! LOL!
It's been rumored that she played keyboards on one of the songs on his debut album. I don't remember exactly which song, but I think it was the solo on "Soft And Wet".

^^ It sounds like her on that joint too when she plays the keys. I also heard, or maybe I heard it wrong, that she also played the keys on "Do Me Baby".

I don't know, maybe she did. But Prince had Dr. Fink & Lisa Coleman at that point, though.

Questlove Supreme

Patrice was on a recent Questlove Supreme show. It's episode 111

Back