Jose Feliciano

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Jose-Feliciano-FPHOTOS-007.jpg

Jose Feliciano is recognized as the first Latin Artist to cross over into the English music market, opening the doors to others who now play an important part in the American music industry.

As importantly, Feliciano has been acclaimed by critics throughout the world as "The greatest living guitarist". Referred to as “The Picasso of his Realm,” Jose Feliciano’s accolades are repeatedly celebrated. Guitar Player Magazine awarded him "Best Pop Guitarist," placing him in their "Gallery of the Greats," and he's been voted both Best Jazz and Best Rock Guitarist in the Playboy Magazine reader's poll, as well. He's been awarded over forty-five Gold and Platinum records; has won sixteen Grammy nominations, earning him six Grammy Awards and is in receipt of countless prestigious awards the world over.

In 1996, Jose Feliciano was selected to receive Billboard Magazine's Lifetime Achievement Award and New York City honored him by re-naming Public School 155 in East Harlem, "The Jose Feliciano Performing Arts School." And In 2001, Jose received a Doctor of Humane Letters degree from Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Connecticut, for his musical, as well as humanitarian, contributions to the world.

Being constantly in demand, Jose has performed for and with some of the most important people on Earth. He enjoys playing with many of the top symphonic orchestras including the London Symphony, the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Vienna Symphony Orchestra. He's appeared on major television shows worldwide; he has done a number of his own specials and his music has been featured on television, in films and on the stage.

Jose was born blind, to humble beginnings on September 10, 1945, in Lares, Puerto Rico. One of eleven boys, his love affair with music began at the age of three when he first accompanied his uncle on a tin cracker can. When he was five, his family immigrated to New York City. Young Jose learned to play the concertina at age six, using a handful of records as his teacher. At eight, he performed for his classmates at PS 57, and at nine, performed at The Puerto Rican Theater in the Bronx. Venturing beyond the accordion, he taught himself to play the guitar with undaunted determination and again, with nothing but records as his teacher, practicing for as many as 14 hours a day. Exposed to the rock-n-roll of the 50's, Jose was then inspired to sing.

At 17, Jose quit school. His father was not working at the time and he needed to help his family. He played in coffee houses in Greenwich Village and for his salary -- as was customary during that time period in small clubs -- they'd "pass the hat". He played his first professional engagement that same year in Detroit, Michigan. Shortly thereafter, a music critic writing of his performance at Gerde's Folk City, referred to him as a "10-fingered wizard who romps, runs, rolls, picks and reverberates his six strings in an incomparable fashion." And added, "If you want to witness the birth of a star, catch Mr. Feliciano before he leaves tomorrow night."

Jose's first major break in the industry, however, happened in the Spanish market when, in 1966, after an amazing performance at the Mar del Plata Festival in Argentina, the RCA executives in Buenos Aires encouraged Jose to stay there and record an album of Spanish music. "They really didn't know what to do with me in the studio," Jose recalls. "So I suggested that we record a number of old boleros--songs I had heard from the time I was a kid." Feliciano's interpretation of the classic bolero of the time was revolutionary. The first single, "Poquita Fe", was a 'smash' hit and "Usted" was even bigger.

Jose had taken long-time standards and made them brand new. He re-worked and re-fashioned them with his own style of acoustic guitar and with the vocal inflections of his jazz and American influences that he had acquired during his adolescence. Without question, Jose was the "teen idol" of the day, unable to pass through airports or leave his hotel room without a riot.

Two more albums followed in similar fashion and the name Jose Feliciano was known all throughout South and Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean. Then, the RCA exec's in Los Angeles coupled him with producer, Rick Jarrard, who recommended that Jose record a Doors' song that he'd heard him sing recently in concert -- a tune called, "Light My Fire"…

By the time he was 23, Jose Feliciano had earned five Grammy nominations and won two Grammy Awards for his album "Feliciano!”, he had performed over much of the world, and had recorded songs in four languages. But Jose was not satisfied. He had a desire to expand his career to include some acting and during the next few years, had made a number of dramatic TV appearances, including an episode of "Kung Fu", "Macmillan and Wife" and "Chico and the Man". "It was a lot of fun," recalls Jose, "But I'm a musician..." A musician, indeed.

Three songs that have been milestones for Feliciano are: 1) "Light My Fire", which was number one on the charts in 1968 and according to the song publisher, is now a "standard" due to Jose's interpretation. 2) "Che Sara", a mega-success in Europe, Asia and South America and of course, 3) "Feliz Navidad," the Christmas song that has now become a tradition worldwide during the holiday season every year. In fact, it has become a top iTunes download and ASCAP has placed it among the 25 Greatest Holiday Songs of the Century.

One of Jose's most memorable moments came on December 1, 1987 when he joined other entertainment legends in having his star permanently implanted on the world renowned Hollywood Walk of Fame. Similarly, he's also been given a star on the Walk of Fame in his native Puerto Rico alongside Jose Ferrer and Raul Julia and had his hands cast for the world famous Wall of Fame in Madame Tussaud's in London, England.

From a historical point of view, it should be noted that Jose was the first artist to ever stylize the National Anthem and perform it publicly. He did so during the 5th game of the World Series between the Detroit Tigers and St. Louis Cardinals on October 7, 1968 in historic Tiger Stadium. It was the first time the anthem became a charted Top-40 recording and once again, Jose opened the door for new generations of stylization. Today, the national anthem is rarely sung in its strictly traditional form; ever since Jose's extraordinary performance caught the attention of the world by surprise.

As noted earlier, Feliciano has oftentimes ventured into other artistic genres, and in 1989, was invited by legendary author, Ray Bradbury, to write the music to his play, "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit." Jose and his wife, Susan, took on the challenge of writing over a dozen songs for the project. It was delightful experience and the thrill of a lifetime to work alongside one of the literary world's greatest writers, Mr. Bradbury. The production enjoyed a successful run at the Pasadena Playhouse and was well received by the media and patrons of California's State Theater.

Jose and Susan have been together since 1971. In 1988 they were blessed with a daughter, Melissa Anne, in 1991 with their first son, Jonathan Jose and in 1995, with their third child, Michael Julian. Together they live in a 275+ year-old former tavern-turned-homestead on a river in Fairfield County, Connecticut. It’s lively, even noisy at times; the perfect place for an active household like the Feliciano Family! When Jose is home, his time is spent writing and recording in his studio, enjoying baseball -- both playing and listening to on the radio -- and being a dad!

In the early 90's, Jose indulged himself a little by staying closer to home, enjoying his young family and trying his hand at a life-long dream-- "to be on the air!!" The local Westport, Connecticut radio station, WMMM, became the instrument for this desire. Its general manager, Mark Graham, and Jose had a Saturday morning talk show entitled, "Speaking of Music", where they would chat together, share musical tidbits and trivia, interview musical artists and play an array of music from jazz to the rock ‘n’ roll of the 50's and early 60's to pop and more. The community embraced their collaboration and the show continued for well over a year until Jose's touring schedule simply couldn't afford the time it took to broadcast a weekly show.

Fondly, Jose also recalls his appearances on the Motown 25 Extravaganza, the PBS Television Concert Special entitled, "The Kennedy Center Presents - The Americanos Concert", the "Lady Liberty Concert" in New York, the Christmas Tree lighting ceremony in Washington, D.C. and party at the White House, just to name a very few. Jose recognizes his great fortune, as well, in having met some of the world's most important artists, writers, scientists, sports figures, heads-of-state, royal figures and, among his greatest honors, an invitation to Rome to participate in "Christmas at the Vatican" and his private audience with Pope John Paul II.

Throughout the late 90's there were numerous TV specials in which Jose appeared around the world. He performed throughout the USA and Canada as well as England, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Australia, The Philippines, Chile, Argentina and Brazil. There was no sign of slowing down or resting on his laurels…in fact, Jose felt he was just getting started.

In 2005, a unique CD for Universal Latino was comprised with a collection of Mexican Mariachis, and was entitled, "A Mexico…con Amor." In it Jose expressed his enduring affection for the people and music of Mexico in much the same way that he illuminated the beauty of the bolero throughout his career. With the orchestral arrangements of Jose Hernandez, it has proven to be a stunning collection of cherished Mexican standards, presented in a contemporary manner -- delighting listeners from Mexico to Morocco and from Melbourne to Miami.

During this time in his life, Feliciano started finding himself turning more and more toward the corporate world with invitations to appear as a motivational speaker, role model and personality for a variety of industry icons from Nissan Automobile Company of Japan to Citibank.

Also, he was pleased to bring information and insight to Latinos with diabetes by joining hands with the people from Life Scan, Inc. in becoming their spokesperson for the One Touch Glucose Monitoring System throughout North America. He was pleased to know that since his association with them, reported cases of Hispanics with diabetes had increased three-fold and more, because of his encouraging words to “get tested and stay healthy.”

Each time Jose returns home from the road after having been on either a concert tour or a promotional junket or a mission of good will, he returns home to his personal recording studio. It is there where he unwinds, recharges and creates his music. There’s no other place on Earth where he finds the peace and contentment that he so needs as an artist. His longevity and vitality are evidence of this fact. In this environment, he created his newest album, “The Soundtrax of My Life,” a totally unique recording of original material, that is completely his own: organic and personal.

Recorded over a period of five years, it is completely self-penned and produced and was recorded at home with his long-time friend and engineer, Al Payson. Together they honed a special piece of music: a body of work that reflects the innermost emotions of this iconic personality, this artist who has become a legend during his lifetime.

“The Soundtrax of My Life” is Jose Feliciano’s current release on Hippo-Universal and will be licensed independently around the world. Its first single, “Baker’s Thing,” is an instrumental tribute to jazz-great Chet Baker and has been released and is enjoying airplay on jazz stations around the country.

As 2008 shifts into high gear we already see Jose traveling to all corners of the globe: from India to Brazil and from Australia to Germany. Having visited over eighty countries across the face of the Earth for more than two generations, his current itinerary proves that he has no intention of slowing down anytime soon.

Jose’s gifts of time, treasure and talent have earned him, over the years, the reputation of great humanitarian and “Ambassador of Good Will” throughout the world. "I'll never forget where I came from or the people who helped my family or me along the way". For this reason, Jose will often lend a hand or his name in support of causes that he believes are important. Even though Jose has recorded nearly 70 albums in his impressive career he is still humble with all the successes he has had and, remarkably, feels that he has just started to share his talents with the world.

Light My Fire (1968)

He also does some adlibs on Minnie Riperton's 1979 version

Tengo Que Decirte Algo (with Gloria Estefan)

Last edited:
This man is a legend in my Puerto Rican family. Yep, his national anthem was the first to be controversial (though now it seems pretty tame).

I loved the 70's sit-com "Chico and the Man" and Jose's theme song for it...

Hello DuraDuran how are you ? :)

Thanks for this new musical adventure (not the last i hope !!!!!).

I started reading your post and this part amazed me:

Jose-Feliciano-FPHOTOS-007.jpg

Venturing beyond the accordion, he taught himself to play the guitar with undaunted determination and again, with nothing but records as his teacher, practicing for as many as 14 hours a day.

I mean, how could you teach yourself to play the guitar when you're blind ? I find it amazing and cannot understand it. It's just freaking amazing. I find it all the more amazing as i've seen a lot of guitar players watch their hands from time to time while performing.

José has a new collabo album with Jools Holland.
[video=youtube;j9G9olKADC4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9G9olKADC4[/video]
[video=youtube;OjU7A6WEfQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjU7A6WEfQk[/video]
[video=youtube;8hZtSSVD-tE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hZtSSVD-tE[/video]

Back