Minnie Ripperton-Appreciate!

Cinnamon234

Proud Member
Has there ever been a more beautiful voice ? Lol seriously, Minnie's voice was like an instrument. Like I said on another site, only Karen Carpenter compares in terms of purity. Minnie had a voice like no other. I don't know why she's so underrated. Truly one of the greatest singers ever, I think she had a 5 1/2 octave range or something. Either way, she truly did have the voice of an angel.

Inside My Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VS6X_ExoLU

Lovin' You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uU6aYNXnUk

Reasons (The whistle notes in this are something else)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQDgqd2Mm8s

-It's really so sad she died at such an early age. It would have been interesting to see what else she would have done musically in her career.

:D

Minnie "creepin" on the background vocals. Her voice adds so much to this song.

Here's a commercial jingle she sang from 1972

Many people don't know Minnie used to be in the band Rotary Connection. Here's one of their tracks:
If I Sing My Song

Its the most wonderful female voice the world has ever heard, I LOVE HER!!!! i discovered like just a year ago, she is the best female singer to me.

Minnie Ripperton really (imo) isn't underrated. But I understand completely what you are saying and I agree 100% about whay you guys said about her vocals.

If anyone old enough to remember when she came out as a single aritist how big she made it in terms of notariety and exposure. Minnie Ripperton's vocals were the talk of radio station DJ's everywhere. There were not too many televisied shows for Black soulful artist back then but the ones I can remember had her on.

Unlike so many of the singers and artist now, Minnie Ripperton had raw talent and didn't rely
on her sexuality to sell a record. She was the real deal. That's so rare now with the gimmicks and all.

Did you know her daughter is/was a cast member of Saturday Night Live? Can't remember her name. Not sure if she is still there or not but she is popular on that show.

^^^^^^Maya Rudolph. If you listen at the end of "Lovin You", Minnie sings her name. Maya's name is also mentioned in "Love And Its Glory"

one of my all time favorite artists period. rotary connection was tight ans she worked with Legendary producer Charles Stephney who later blew up working with Earth,Wind and Fire.

Minnie Riperton as a versatile musical force and had a nature and tone to her that was out of this world. she got everything that Mariah Carey is still trying to get with hitting those notes. I love me some Minnie and still miss her. back down memory lane was blasting over the weekend.

one of my all time favorite artists period. rotary connection was tight ans she worked with Legendary producer Charles Stephney who later blew up working with Earth,Wind and Fire.

Minnie Riperton as a versatile musical force and had a nature and tone to her that was out of this world. she got everything that Mariah Carey is still trying to get with hitting those notes. I love me some Minnie and still miss her. back down memory lane was blasting over the weekend.
Chante' Moore & Shanice Wilson also are influenced by Minnie and do the high notes (not as high as Minnie though). They're just not as well known as Mariah. In fact Shanice has remade "Lovin' You" twice - in 1991 and 2006. Chante' has covered Minnie songs also. Minnie, Deniece Williams, & Syreeta Wright all sang in Wonderlove.

^^^^^^Maya Rudolph. If you listen at the end of "Lovin You", Minnie sings her name. Maya's name is also mentioned in "Love And Its Glory"

Yep! I remember the end of "lovin you" saying, that name and I also remember her daughter on vh1( i believe) explaining about that!

DuranDuran, you really know your music stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

Chante' Moore & Shanice Wilson also are influenced by Minnie and do the high notes (not as high as Minnie though). They're just not as well known as Mariah. In fact Shanice has remade "Lovin' You" twice - in 1991 and 2006. Chante' has covered Minnie songs also. Minnie, Deniece Williams, & Syreeta Wright all sang in Wonderlove.
Chante Moore hit that note but i felt she was more on a Regina Belle tip artistically. her range was strong but needed a compliment voice there.

Shanice i dug back in 87 when she worked with Byron Loren and got MJ's attention.

Minnie had a unique hybrid thing going musically and she had depth,etc... Chante and Shanice became heard as acts who got the leftovers and never got the full goods much deborah cox and Tamia.

^^^^^^ Not exactly. That song is on the album "Love Lives Forever" which was released in 1980 after Minnie's death. Minnie's vocals were recorded in 1978, and all of the guest vocals and the music was recorded in early 1980. Some of the other people on the album are George Benson, Peabo Bryson, Roberta Flack, Stevie Wonder, & many others.

Inside My Love is a very special tune in itself, but with Minnie on vocals, it elevates to indescribable levels...

Come To My Garden [1970]; Songs [1969]

avn8mx.jpg

Completeness

(EW+F's Maurice White on drums there)

spxi5j.jpg

Tale Of Brave Ulysses

I have been into her music for about a year now. There are no words to describe how beautiful her voice was. It's mesmerizing when she hits those whistle notes too. And I like how she came across in interviews. She was so kind and down to earth. R.I.P. Minnie

Last edited:
I have been into her music for about a year now. There are no words to descibe how beautiful her voice was. It's mesmerizing when she hits those whistle notes too.

She sounds every bit as pure and awesome live as she does on record, it's almost indistinguishable.

<object width="500" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZCVykulI8Q&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZCVykulI8Q&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="344"></embed></object>

Inside My Love is a very special tune in itself, but with Minnie on vocals, it elevates to indescribable levels...
According to Leon Ware, that song is supposedly about church. I don't think that is the meaning that most people get out of it. :p

Ugh, these videos aren't embedding.
They were at 1st, but when the site crashed awhile back, the html was cut off the in most of the sections. It still works in the MJ Groove Theory thread.

According to Leon Ware, that song is supposedly about church. I don't think that is the meaning that most people get out of it. :p

I love that song! :) And thank god, I never thought that at first. Even though the title of the song seems to make people think that and some of the Lyrics didn't help either.

They were at 1st, but when the site crashed awhile back, the html was cut off the in most of the sections. It still works in the MJ Groove Theory thread.

I noticed....a while a go I was wondering why videos wouldn't embed here lol

Back