Janet's dancing

Stranger

Proud Member
I've never really been a Janet fan. I think her voice, while sweet and easy to listen to, is very very average. However, recently I've been watching her performances and videos and I have been stunned by her!

Her dancing is incredible! Much better than the female stars of today. I think her best live dancing is showcased in the 1998 AMAs performance of a remix of together again, the 2000 MTV awards of Doesn't really matter (in this one, it is scary how much she looks like Michael) and her All for you performance at some tribute show.

But then I thought, what makes the dancing so good is not JUST her, its the choreography. Each video/performance has a different style of dancing and each is perfectly done. This is where Michael comes in. I kind of feel that maybe his choreography is lacking at times, when you compare it to hers. He seems to stick with the same moves at times. But he's still the better dancer. So just imagine if he had fantastic choreography. How good would he seem?

Does anyone agree with me on this? lol:)

No, lol.

Michael has a new routine each time he does a video, it's just he doesn't release records as often, and thus doesn't have new videos as often as Janet. Like I always say though, the steps don't matter, it's the execution. How good you look in doing it.

if you want to talk about Janets choreograhy and dancing, then you should really give credit to Tina Landon and La Vaille Smith. Paula Abdul was Janets first choreographer during Control era, but Janets live performances and videos went to another level from Rhythm Nation era onwards, when she started working with Tina and later La Vaille.

They were both envoled with the SCREAM video too.

I agree with Moonstreet, Janet's dancing is what it is because of Tina Landon, the woman is brilliant and she really polished Janet's moves... just looks at Britney's early work and you'll see how much it resembles Janet, obviously it was Tina who was doing her coreographies too.

Though Michael does coreographies too, he also has a lot of spontaneous dance that simply flows, Janet however is 100% rehearsed coreography and becomes a whole with the back up dancers (which Michael doesn't seem to really need). IMO she looks a bit stiff when she's on her own on stage.

I agree that Janet doesnt seem as good when she's alone on stage. Its the whole production that impresses me..with the polished choreography and back up dancers..

Btw I didnt know Tina Landon was Britney's early choreographer..thats interesting

The difference between Michael and Janet is that Michael is a natural dancer whose freestyle moves have been incorporated into choroagraphy. Thats why he always seems so much sharper and more fluid when he is with other dancers. Janet on the other hand is very much like a trained dancer with natural rhythm who can excute any choroagrphy to perfection. She can take direction easily and thats why she looks much better dancing in a group than on her own.

yeah i agree moonstreet..it makes me wonder if Janet couldnt dance, would her music still appeal? I find that her appeal is visual. The song might be average, but its when you see the production/choreography..thats when you appeciate it.

I've never really been a Janet fan. I think her voice, while sweet and easy to listen to, is very very average. However, recently I've been watching her performances and videos and I have been stunned by her!

Her dancing is incredible! Much better than the female stars of today. I think her best live dancing is showcased in the 1998 AMAs performance of a remix of together again, the 2000 MTV awards of Doesn't really matter (in this one, it is scary how much she looks like Michael) and her All for you performance at some tribute show.

But then I thought, what makes the dancing so good is not JUST her, its the choreography. Each video/performance has a different style of dancing and each is perfectly done. This is where Michael comes in. I kind of feel that maybe his choreography is lacking at times, when you compare it to hers. He seems to stick with the same moves at times. But he's still the better dancer. So just imagine if he had fantastic choreography. How good would he seem?

Does anyone agree with me on this? lol:)

I agree with you here. I find that especially with Janet's live performance's her choreography is very good and yes better and more complex than Michael's. Some of her video's have better choreography than Michael's as well, but MJ's dance moves are more iconic. Just look at some of her video's such as "Miss You Much", "Rhythm Nation" (Which she actually got some of the choreography ideas from MJ's "We Are Here To Change The World" from Captain EO), "Doesn't Really Matter", "Together Again", "If", etc. I mean her dance routines are really great. Now this is not to say she is the better dancer because I certainly don't think she is, but no one can deny that she executes her dance routines very well and I find her dance routines to be one of the best in the business. Tina Landon has to be given credit as well, she's incredible.

yeah i agree moonstreet..it makes me wonder if Janet couldnt dance, would her music still appeal? I find that her appeal is visual. The song might be average, but its when you see the production/choreography..thats when you appeciate it.

Plz explain to me how you can correlate dancing with the appeal of her music. Cuz last time I checked, her biggest hits don't include her dancing. :mellow:

First of all I'm appalled by the numerous misspellings of "choreography." :laugh:

Janet's dancing, like it was said, is an art form in itself. It varies from video to video, and performance to performance. She has only choreographed 2 of her videos, so obviously there is some talent there outside of her choreography. She is a technical dancer, however that doesn't take away from the skill.

she can't freestyle to save her damn lyfe! cdfu

mj can dance on the spot, jan can't.

tina landon was ok....c'mon what was so hard about 'together again' that made it amazing? it's gil who took her dancing to a more 'technical' level IMO that made it harder to replicate. i can do afy...i can't do so excited...lol see my point?

tina landon was ok....c'mon what was so hard about 'together again' that made it amazing? it's gil who took her dancing to a more 'technical' level IMO that made it harder to replicate. i can do afy...i can't do so excited...lol see my point?

I'm sensing a "hater" ( I hate that word.)
Janet is a great dancer! From what I know she was the first female singer to have back-up dancers and such.

mjhuntgc0.jpg
Janet is THE BEST female dancer in the world EVER!! Queen.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow funny how someone with FOUR posts can sense a hater...please, jan's my girlbut she can't FREESTYLE dance....and i was hatin on LANDON not JACKSON so try some vicks cuz i think ur senses may be plugged up.

i remember seeing a clip of her trying to freestyle, it was horrendous but i've seen her four times in concert....girl can dance...CHOREOGRAPHED. she cannot freestyle...that's mike.

she couldbe the first female to sing onstage w/ broccoli, it don't mean she can dance w/o the help of a choreographer

^^ How can my girl (she's a friend at Prince.ORG and Maximum-Jackson) think you was talking about Janet? I didn't think Tina Landon was all that good either...

sooo...my take on the issue is that Janet is a good dancer....Michael is better. Just stating the obvious!!!!

And that's the beauty of it. Tina's routines APPEAR simple, but once you get down to the details and specifics it's not easy at all. :wink:

nah it is cuz i ain't got rhythm for nuffin and i could do t.a. but gil's routines are awwwdachaaaaaaaaaain. hell, even marty was better than tina. she's yucky now....

She, like all other artists, has got inspiration from MJ.

Remember the thing about Rhytm Nation (or what it's called) ??

She saw MJ's video for We are here to change the world and then wanted to make a military inspired video - like MJ.

I have never really like her very much - musically I mean, not personally!

She is indeed very average!

^^ But that's because they family and Mike allowed her to interpret that dance. It wasn't a straight jack though. Anthony Thomas co-choreographed the number as he did in some other numbers from the RHYTHM NATION period.

^^

Yeah I know, but still it shows that she does get inspiration by MJ.

Vocally Janet isn't very good IMO.

:lol:

No. That's as true as it is that MJ was inspired by James Brown and Fred Astaire!

Back