the best technilogy for listening to music is?

mistermaxxx

Proud Member
now I love Albums, but tapes are cool and then CD's are cool and then there is the Mp3 players but what for you gives you the ultimate listening experience and why? which way of listening do you hear the music the best possible way?

it's all about the sound for me, nice topic.

in terms of hearing studio material, i can't afford what i consider the 'ultimate listening experience', but i do have studio monitors (speakers) and subwoofer in a relatively well-designed room for acoustics which i'd like to think gives me more of the same sound that the CD engineers heard when they layed down the tracks, rather than to hear it on a consumer system that intentionally "fattens" up the sound (in the makers' view, anway) but more like ruining what the engineers had in mind. the reference monitors give great detail and clarity and stay true to the sound.

i try to avoid using headphones (no matter how good they are) as much as possible, but that's become hard when you've got badly designed walls and neighbors up, down and to the sides of you.

and i've stopped listening to earphone music when out and about. i overdone that ish!

and as for the source of the sound, that depends on what media i use. it's generally hq MP3s, FLAC or WAV and they're all usually flawless, a nonissue, when you've got the right system and environment.

mp3s because i never have to worry about ruining them lol. or losing them. and the sound is as good as it gets, unless i am the type of person who psychologically convinces myself to never be satisfied.

it's all about the sound for me, nice topic.

in terms of hearing studio material, i can't afford what i consider the 'ultimate listening experience', but i do have studio monitors (speakers) and subwoofer in a relatively well-designed room for acoustics which i'd like to think gives me more of the same sound that the CD engineers heard when they layed down the tracks, rather than to hear it on a consumer system that intentionally "fattens" up the sound (in the makers' view, anway) but more like ruining what the engineers had in mind. the reference monitors give great detail and clarity and stay true to the sound.

i try to avoid using headphones (no matter how good they are) as much as possible, but that's become hard when you've got badly designed walls and neighbors up, down and to the sides of you.

and i've stopped listening to earphone music when out and about. i overdone that ish!

and as for the source of the sound, that depends on what media i use. it's generally hq MP3s, FLAC or WAV and they're all usually flawless, a nonissue, when you've got the right system and environment.

what's your setup arXter?

i have KRK Rokit 6 monitors and the RP-10 woofer - they're the "budget" line of KRK. i love KRK, i first bought the acclaimed Yamaha NS-10s but man they are harsh sounding! had a hard time getting rid of them too, lol.

KRK have the warmest sound i've ever come across.

but i think i spent more on acoustic treatment for my room than the actual monitors
f_laugh.gif

i was asking cos i just picked up some Wharfedale diamond pro 8.2 monitors on ebay... i was lucky got them for 300 AUD... so i'm happy :)

i don't really like the rokits, but thats just my ears.

oooooo that is a beauty, LOL. nice one, those mothers would have been out of my price-range at the time of buyin the Rokits.

*goes to convert 300 AUD* ..

you lucky git, lol.

haha, been there, bankrupted that, lol.

i commend you sticking to buying software, though. i've been lured into thievery by pirating.

yeah well at the moment i think ableton and cakewalk are worth it.... not to sure about the others.... not really value for money.

for listening experience its CD's but some people say 12" vinyl.. depends on who you ask.

But it depends on the source i know there has been alot of articles recently around talking about how record companies are slightly rushing the mastering process because they know people mainly listen to music on ipods/mp3 players. Also before CD's, artist (elvis costello) if i remember correctly used to squeeze material on to vinyl because they knew the average listener would listen to the songs on small cheap systems.... similar with motown who knew the songs would be playing on small little radio transmitters.

Last edited:
yeah they do seem to have decent price tags.

i think a big mistake i got lured into early on was to concern myself too much with the sequencers, the mixing tools, the endless array of synths etc. at a time when nearly all of the options were more than capable of achieving the essentials you need to get a mix done just about the way you want it. it can bog you down to a point of letting software dicate instead of the other way 'round. cliche, i know.

i still use ACID frequently to this day, i think its simplicity is quite attractive (never been a fan of Ableton's user interface). Apple's Logic is very good too, but in 2ndary school music they taught us with the old Windows (Emagic) Logic, so i guess i got used to it by then.

but my main sequencer is an old hardware sampler-sequencer called E-MU E6400. it's got like a 2x4 inch black & white screen lol! but the main reason i use it is because there's zero latency and both my pc and powerbook can't go down to zero.

mp3s because i never have to worry about ruining them lol. or losing them. and the sound is as good as it gets, unless i am the type of person who psychologically convinces myself to never be satisfied.

Back those files up! Like all digital files, they can become corrupted and not play one day.

I prefer records to anything else. That's what I grew up with and what I pretty much always bought. I rarely bought pre-made cassettes, but I did use blanks to tape off the radio, lol.

I am ALL about Vinyl. i wont listen to anything else (unless its my ipod when im out and about). I swear to god i was born in the wrong decade. I just love the sound, so raw and classic, and holding a 30-40 year old LP in my hands just takes me back to a more beautiful time...DA-y-AMN.. i love it.

Albums are bigger and the artwork is better than tiny CD booklets that are hard to read. I don't download and I'm not sure what an ipod is. I'm not interested in modern technology. I still have a reciever with tubes in it, lol. I have a CD player but never got into anything after that.

Last edited:

Haha, what an interesting little thing!

I'm all about vinyl too. There's also just something really fulfilling and fun about spending hours in some old record shop owned by some old man with great stories who's still the only employee and walking out of there with gems. The thrill of the hunt I guess.

But I find that music on vinyl has a warmer, richer, more full sound and I love it. Every MJ fan needs to experience listening to their favorite album this way at least once.
My boyfriend bought me an original 1st pressing of the Bad album for my birthday and that was my first time hearing it on vinyl - I got goosebumps when Man In the Mirror started up!

(Also, if you are a female fan, you simply must hear the intro to IJCSLY on vinyl... ;))

The MP3 is Officially Dead: License Terminated by Developer

May 16, 2017 by Kat Bein Billboard
ipod-nano-mp3-ipod-2017-a-billboard-1548.jpg

The new iPod Nano is displayed during an Apple special event Sept. 9, 2008 in San Francisco.

MP3s were all the rage even before you got that giant, clunky, gen-1 iPod, but today, MP3s are officially a thing of the past.
Major developer Fraunhofer IIS held most licenses for the use of MP3s, and it has announced it is terminating those licenses in light of better, lower-bit files, such as AAC, and the industry shift toward those files. The company's official announcement can be read online, and reads as follows:

On April 23, 2017, Technicolor's mp3 licensing program for certain mp3 related patents and software of Technicolor and Fraunhofer IIS has been terminated.

We thank all of our licensees for their great support in making mp3 the defacto audio codec in the world, during the past two decades.

The development of mp3 started in the late 80s at Fraunhofer IIS, based on previous development results at the University Erlangen-Nuremberg. Although there are more efficient audio codecs with advanced features available today, mp3 is still very popular amongst consumers. However, most state-of-the-art media services such as streaming or TV and radio broadcasting use modern ISO-MPEG codecs such as the AAC family or in the future MPEG-H. Those can deliver more features and a higher audio quality at much lower bitrates compared to mp3.

Back