The True-Blue Musical Artists

Stargirl

Proud Member
So...who are they?
My defination for this one is the ones who really can and do often write and compose their own music.
Of course we all know that the star of this forum is number one on the list...but let's continue it shall we....

1. MICHAEL JACKSON
2.... ?
3....?

(Considering number ONE is ALWAYS reserved for Michael the following don't really have to be in order :p )

you mean singer-songwriters? if i were to list them, i'd be listing just about every act i listen to!

maybe a deeper definition for a "true-blue musician" would be how involved they are if you look at every aspect of the creative process - writing/composition/arrangement, production, instrumentation, even engineering, etc.

i still wouldn't rank them though - can't really distinguish between those acts at the very top, and there are hundreds of them.

maybe an opposite list would be easier..

1. Britney
2. Elvis
3. Sinatra
4. Whitney
5. Billie Holiday
6. Ella Fitzgerald
7. Barbra Streisand
8. ....

Britney's #1 because she's extra awesome and special in that she also possesses no voice.

^
lol ...

and Elvis huh....
lol I thought that too that his songs weren't really his.. but really ... he didn't have anything to do with his songs?

____

Oooh and does Madonna write/compose her own songs?

^^^^^Elvis never wrote anything, but Colonel Parker had it set up that any song Elvis recorded EP's name was put on the credits or was put into Elvis' publishing company. This caused Elvis problems occasionally when he wanted to record songs but Colonel Parker wouldn't let him because the songwriter didn't want to give up his/her credits. Madonna writes all of her lyrics. I don't think she has much to do with the musical portion (which is usually one of her partners like Patrick Leonard, Steven Bray, etc.) other than the vocal arrangements.

^
oh thank you for the cool info!! :D

---

I would say The Beatles were definite true blue artists. They had some of the most heartfelt music and imaginatively amazing lyrics.

MJ, Stevie & Donny (Hathaway) for me.

Donny never even peaked, he was learning classical composition and who knows what else before his untimely ending. It's so unfortunate he couldn't have stayed around longer.

MJ isn't on the technical level of Stevie & Donny, but he's got his own way of going about things and being involved in the creative process in such a way he doesn't need to. It doesn't matter who's producing his stuff, writing his stuff, or collaborating with him, all of his work has the "Michael Jackson Sound".

you mean singer-songwriters? if i were to list them, i'd be listing just about every act i listen to!

maybe a deeper definition for a "true-blue musician" would be how involved they are if you look at every aspect of the creative process - writing/composition/arrangement, production, instrumentation, even engineering, etc.

i still wouldn't rank them though - can't really distinguish between those acts at the very top, and there are hundreds of them.

maybe an opposite list would be easier..

1. Britney
2. Elvis
3. Sinatra
4. Whitney
5. Billie Holiday
6. Ella Fitzgerald
7. Barbra Streisand
8. ....

Britney's #1 because she's extra awesome and special in that she also possesses no voice.

well..she's one hell of a businesswoman...did u listen to her song 'circus'? she tells u exactly what she does, in that lyric..and quite frankly. considering the quality of her latest songs..i'm quite impressed. she won't put her name on anything less...and to me..subjectively, of course, that's as impressive as singer/songwriting.:yes:

True-blue singer-songwriters:
Stevie
Marvin
Donny
Carole King
Patrice Rushen
Curtis Mayfield
Isaac Hayes
Smokey Robinson

True-blue singers/song stylists:
Diana Ross
Aretha Franklin
Nat "King" Cole
Ella
Dinah Washington
Ms. Billie "Lady Day" Holiday
Sinatra
Phyllis

I forgot she did write some stuff, lol.

She wrote these:
"Dr. Feelgood"
"Sweet, Sweet Baby (Since You've Been Gone)"
"Call Me"

...that's all I could think of.

Bill Withers
Minnie Riperton
Basia
Sting
Jill Scott
Terence Trent D'arby
Daryl Hall, John Oates, & Sara Allen
George Michael
Sade

I've always felt Terence Trent D'Arby was a little overrated. He reminds me a bit of Prince. Prince is so prolific that I don't find him overrated, but Terence was so damn picky and insistent on some of his stuff, and at the end of the day it wasn't as genius as some people claimed. That's how I feel anyways. Had he loosened up a bit I think he could have been something special.

Sting is someone who I overlook a lot but when I browse through my library and listen to his stuff I'm surprised at how much great work he's done.

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Roger Troutman
Teena Marie
Esperanza Spalding
El DeBarge
Rick James
Genesis
Larry Blackmon
Ohio Players
Roland Orzabal & Curt Smith
Herbie Hancock