Prince interviewed by Tavis Smiley

Thanks for this. Did anyone watch it on PBS? They only have a couple of clips up on their site (same as on YouTube). Just wondering how long it was. Would be nice to see the whole thing.

Record sales accounts have always been shady. It benefits the record companies. When Berry Gordy was running it, Motown never even reported sales to the RIAA, and they and other labels had 2 sets of books, one for themselves, and one they would show the performers who asked to see them (which had lower numbers.) Then records sold though clubs like Columbia House (the old 12 albums for a penny, lol) aren't counted as "sales". Also there are "cutouts" which aren't counted either. James Brown has said a lot of his records was selling better than what was in the top 10, but his label King didn't report the sales so he didn't get the positions (or money). Some labels reported fake numbers to get higher chart postitions. Soundscan didn't exist before the 1990s and even with that, mom and pop stores don't have Soundscan equipment, so anything they sell doesn't count. Then there's imitation "street" bootlegs. The artist has never really benefited, only the "suits".

Is it true that Prince lets people starting out use his studio for free? Someone said that on You Tube.

wow prince being interviewed. liked how he opened up on his childhood. wished they put the whole interview up. ..sad about the record sales..but its kind of already known but im glad prince is talking about it.

^^^^He put out a song in 1992 called "The Sacrifice of Victor" that mentions this.

I love listening to Prince talk, he's a very intelligent and articulate man. Plus he never ages, and still looks very young which is cool.

<object width="500" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wmZ-JNNSxhA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wmZ-JNNSxhA&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="344"></embed></object>

Lol...I seriously doubt Prince has given anything for free

Idk, having been a fan of his since the very beginning of his career, I do think he is business savvy but at the same time his attitude in general has changed in many regards since converting or returning to the Jehovah Witness faith. It's quite possible his entire attitude has changed or softened in r/t giving where it is needed. But that's not to say I think he's going to let any entity take advantage of him. jmo.

Thanks for posting.
You're welcome:)

Record sales accounts have always been shady. It benefits the record companies. When Berry Gordy was running it, Motown never even reported sales to the RIAA, and they and other labels had 2 sets of books, one for themselves, and one they would show the performers who asked to see them (which had lower numbers.) Then records sold though clubs like Columbia House (the old 12 albums for a penny, lol) aren't counted as "sales". Also there are "cutouts" which aren't counted either. James Brown has said a lot of his records was selling better than what was in the top 10, but his label King didn't report the sales so he didn't get the positions (or money). Some labels reported fake numbers to get higher chart postitions. Soundscan didn't exist before the 1990s and even with that, mom and pop stores don't have Soundscan equipment, so anything they sell doesn't count. Then there's imitation "street" bootlegs. The artist has never really benefited, only the "suits".
That's right, Soundscan cannot be accurate.

Found one more segment of it. Apparently he had epilepsy as a child. Wow...
Thanx Ivory. I later found this one after posting the other two. He's real cool and open. I like that.

(off-topic, but...) I hope Mike appears on this Tavis Smiley show.

Computers and tracking systems never are. I don't pay much attention to sales. I only buy music because I like it, not because a bunch of others think it's cool. I have records that only went "lead" or "cubic zirconia", lol.

I cant say how I deeply admire Prince, for everything he has done to music and him as a musician... in that sense he is far better than Michael.

I cant say how I deeply admire Prince, for everything he has done to music and him as a musician... in that sense he is far better than Michael.

Interesting comment. If possible could you say what you feel Prince has done for music and as a musican that's better for Michael. I'm not trying to start a heated debate as I'm not in to Michael Jackson vs Prince as they are both geniuses. I just find your comment intresting, as it's a good post but I don't know exactly what you mean.

You're welcome:)

Thanx Ivory. I later found this one after posting the other two. He's real cool and open. I like that.

(off-topic, but...) I hope Mike appears on this Tavis Smiley show.

You are NOT alone on wanting Mike to be interviewed by Tavis Smiley! I think Tavis would do a superb job at interviewing Michael. He sounds like a man who cares for the artist, and talks more about the music than the personal stuff.

Here is a link to the full interview http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/video/flv/generic.html?s=tavi08s25bbq8e1.

You can also download an audio podcast of this Tavis Smiley interview at the iTunes Store. Just type in Tavis Smiley.
Thanx for the link ben!

You are NOT alone on wanting Mike to be interviewed by Tavis Smiley! I think Tavis would do a superb job at interviewing Michael. He sounds like a man who cares for the artist, and talks more about the music than the personal stuff.
Yea he would never ask stupid questions like many other interviewers out there. He also seems to be the type of interviewer who will treat MJ good addressing him like, "Brother" and mean it.

Back to the interview itself...I find interesting that Prince too read "Unforgivable Blackness" and felt inspired to get through some tough times. Mike told Rev.Jesse Jackson he read the book during the trial and saw a pattern in history where prominent black people got trashed. Must be a great book.

Thanx for the link ben!

Yea he would never ask stupid questions like many other interviewers out there. He also seems to be the type of interviewer who will treat MJ good addressing him like, "Brother" and mean it.

Back to the interview itself...I find interesting that Prince too read "Unforgivable Blackness" and felt inspired to get through some tough times. Mike told Rev.Jesse Jackson he read the book during the trial and saw a pattern in history where prominent black people got trashed. Must be a great book.
There is also a film/documentary on Jack Johnson with the same title. It's been shown on PBS and it's also on video. There's even a soundtrack.

There is also a film/documentary on Jack Johnson with the same title. It's been shown on PBS and it's also on video. There's even a soundtrack.
Thanx for the info. I was considering getting the book. Now got more things to do. I need some inspiration these days:yes:

it was a cool interview. Prince spoke and said what he wanted. great shout out to Andre cymone.

Back