Michael v/s Jermaine

Who was the better vocalist during the J5 era?

• Jermaine

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Michael

Votes: 324 92.6%
  • Both were equally as talented

Votes: 20 5.7%

• Total voters

iboz75

Proud Member
I posed this question on another discussion board, and now I want to ask the people here.

Why do you think that they gave the most work to Michael instead of Jermaine? Do you think it was because Michael was younger and cute, or do you think that he was the better singer?

You know what? I meant to put this under groove theory. Hey mods, can you move this thread?

michael. the versatility he had @ such a young age was unheard of. listen to his control and range. its still mind boggling lol

There is no Michael vs Jermaine. Michael was always lightyears ahead of Jermaine in talent and I'm sure Jermaine would agree with that. It was there father Joesph who made Michael the lead vocalist of the Jackson 5, and with Michael singing the vast majority of lead vocals. Even when the Jackson 5 were signed to Steeltown Records before they signed to Motown Michael sang at least 95% of their songs.

Jermaine is an amazing vocalist and very underrated, but Michael vocals always had more rang and character. Plus Michael was an amazing thunderbolt of a dance from an infant, and Jermaine was never a dancer. There is no comparision, Michael's always been genius and Jermaine has always been very talented. Just live it at that.

just listen to 'who's loving you'... your mind will be amde up instantly. I find Michael's J5 songs so much harder to sing than his adult songs :p his voice as a child was simply amazing!

I've seen a lot of people who say they prefer Jermain's voice, but man... its not even close to me. And that's not a knock on Jermaine, who was pretty talented in his own right. It's just that MJ had a hell of a voice. And still does.

I posed this question on another discussion board, and now I want to ask the people here.

Why do you think that they gave the most work to Michael instead of Jermaine? Do you think it was because Michael was younger and cute, or do you think that he was the better singer?

Like Paul Williams from The Temptations & Flo Ballard from The Supremes, Jermaine's voice was too "soulful" and not as "crossover". As Motown was trying to sell to the mainstream (as apposed to Stax or Chess records, who was going for the black audience), the leads were usually given to whoever had the most "pop" sounding voice. The more pop sounding groups/singers got more promotion than more soulful/gospel sounding groups. Dancing ability has nothing to do with records or who sings what.

michael. the versatility he had @ such a young age was unheard of. listen to his control and range. its still mind boggling lol

There is no Michael vs Jermaine. Michael was always lightyears ahead of Jermaine in talent and I'm sure Jermaine would agree with that. It was there father Joesph who made Michael the lead vocalist of the Jackson 5, and with Michael singing the vast majority of lead vocals. Even when the Jackson 5 were signed to Steeltown Records before they signed to Motown Michael sang at least 95% of their songs.

Jermaine is an amazing vocalist and very underrated, but Michael vocals always had more rang and character. Plus Michael was an amazing thunderbolt of a dance from an infant, and Jermaine was never a dancer. There is no comparision, Michael's always been genius and Jermaine has always been very talented. Just live it at that.

I've seen a lot of people who say they prefer Jermain's voice, but man... its not even close to me. And that's not a knock on Jermaine, who was pretty talented in his own right. It's just that MJ had a hell of a voice. And still does.
:yes: :yes:

I think Michael stood out even more 'cause all of his brothers were pretty bad.

Sorry to say that but it's stupid pull because they come from the same father and mother so all of them are talented.......

Weird theory. LaToya just as talented as Michael? Don't think so.

Weird theory. LaToya just as talented as Michael? Don't think so.

What does LaToya have to do with Mike & Jermaine? She's not mentioned in the thread's title. Jermaine is more like Prince, Paul McCartney, or Stevie Wonder than Mike, in that Jermaine, Paul, Stevie, & Prince all play several instruments.

Definitely Michael, but Jermaine wasn't too bad either. He was great during the 2001 concerts and sometimes sounded better Michael.

But at the end of the day, Jermaine's voice is a lot weaker than Michael's and doesn't really stand out for me. As soon as I hear Michael's voice on ANY song, I'll know it's him straight away... I never felt that way about Jermaine's.

Jermaine is very good, but Michael is far more talented. He has a very unique sound that makes you listen, it stands out, and he had the ability to sing with such soul you'd expect only an old experienced man to possess. It was plain to the eye and the ear from the beginning, really. I don't even think I'm being biased here.

Sorry to say that but it's stupid pull because they come from the same father and mother so all of them are talented.......

Erm.. sorry to say, but that's kind of a stupid thing to say. Not all children in one family are equally talented in everything they do. Beethoven had several siblings, wonder why we've never heard of them?

You don't have to be biased to tell Michael was simply more talented and the better singer. Jermaine had a deeper, more "grown up" voice which added colour to the song when they sang duett like in "I'll be there", but Michael's voice has always been more exciting, more special, more unique and he was a technically better singer too - as a kid, as well as an adult.

Jermaine was the ladies' man of the group and Motown could have gone WILD with that...
But when Jermaine married Hazel, no doubt that had a huge impact on his female fanbase and what Motown could do with him.

Jermaine was the ladies' man of the group and Motown could have gone WILD with that...
But when Jermaine married Hazel, no doubt that had a huge impact on his female fanbase and what Motown could do with him.

Don't forget Jackie!! Not vocally, but as in being a ladies man. :ph34r:

Michael always had better voice, he was just more talented. Though Jermaine has a good voice, too.

Back