Prince

caleb20003

Proud Member
After many many years of Prince being the mortal enemy in my eyes to MJ (like a rival football team as my brother was mad over Prince whilst I chose MJ it was a genuine rivalry!!) I finally succumbed in my search for 'new' music after hearing and quite liking 'controversy' on Pandora so I got hold of the 'ultimate' cd and gotta be honest I'm not overly impressed up to now.

I like controversy and rasberry beret and shes always in my hair but after that not greatly swayed towards Prince.

I know theres probably a thread about this but I dont want the prince afficionados getting their knickers in a twist I just want someone to point out the greatest songs of Prince to try out (I prefer things with a soulful slant)

Thanks

Interesting request because I am and have been a huge Prince fan since his beginnings. Just briefly going back over his repertoire, "soul" doesn't immediately come to mind, can't find a song that I would immediately think "soulful". He has a vast catalogue of songs/albums, but funk comes to mind far more often than "soul" music.

I'd be interested to hear examples about Prince's "soul" music pieces from others as well.

A real negative is not being able to find the majority of Prince's music videos and music in general online since he essentially has had them removed from almost all sites.

As for being a musical enemy, naw. Michael and Prince are/have been musical icons in their own rights, just depends upon what "sound" one enjoys more. They're both at the top of my list of favorites, but for different reasons soundwise. Not going to let anyone tell me which person I can enjoy more on varying levels; hopefully people have learned to enjoy and respect multiple artists for their unique sound/qualities. jmo

Last edited:
After many many years of Prince being the mortal enemy in my eyes to MJ (like a rival football team as my brother was mad over Prince whilst I chose MJ it was a genuine rivalry!!) I finally succumbed in my search for 'new' music after hearing and quite liking 'controversy' on Pandora so I got hold of the 'ultimate' cd and gotta be honest I'm not overly impressed up to now.

I like controversy and rasberry beret and shes always in my hair but after that not greatly swayed towards Prince.

I know theres probably a thread about this but I dont want the prince afficionados getting their knickers in a twist I just want someone to point out the greatest songs of Prince to try out (I prefer things with a soulful slant)

Thanks

Check out some of his more radio-friendly jams like:

Diamonds & Pearls
I Can't Make You Love Me
I Hate U
Partyman
The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
Black Sweat
Got On The Boat

I'm also really digging Crimson & Clover off of Lotusflow3r and Dance 4 Me off of MPL Sound.

As for being a musical enemy, naw. Michael and Prince are/have been musical icons in their own rights, just depends upon what "sound" one enjoys more. They're both at the top of my list of favorites, but for different reasons soundwise. Not going to let anyone tell me which person I can enjoy more on varying levels; hopefully people have learned to enjoy and respect multiple artists for their unique sound/qualities. jmo

I hear what you're saying and maybe its more of a personal rivalry as I said akin to supporting a football team for me, just the thought of buying a Prince album has been a no-no but as I matured maybe I can relax a little and so many people say prince is great, hell even MJ has been good about it so I thought i'd try a taster so thanks for any suggestions!

If you're in a quest for new music, may I suggest the man in my avatar?

(I prefer things with a soulful slant)
my two favourite "soulfully slanted" Prince jams...

20mcl4.jpg

How Come U Don't
Call Me Anymore?

2ik8n5d.jpg

The Ballad of
Dorothy Parker

my two favourite "soulfully slanted" Prince jams...

20mcl4.jpg

How Come U Don't
Call Me Anymore?

2ik8n5d.jpg

The Ballad of
Dorothy Parker

If I had listened to the dorothy one when it came out on a walkman cassette player I would be checking my batteries all the time, liked the 1st one though, who covered it?

If I had listened to the dorothy one when it came out on a walkman cassette player I would be checking my batteries all the time,
i think it's genius, because not only is the chord progression soulful and melancholic but he intentionally utilises a concept called dissonance which is basically trying to blend harmonics even if at times it doesn't sound like it's "in tune". it's a bit like marmite, which is probably why you said you'd have to check your batteries. my favourite Prince track.

liked the 1st one though, who covered it?
quite a number of people, most famously Alicia Keys which was crap. this one below my favourite, with Donny Hathaway-style Wurlitzer keys subtly complimenting the original piano parts.

84847251.png

Bilal

How Come You
Don't Call Me

I believe if you give Prince a try, you'll find plenty to like. Such is his body of work he appeals to old-school R&B fans, people who like rock, underground fans.... he's got a massive body of work and I can't imagine you not finding a sizable portion of material to enjoy, even if you have to just pick off one or two songs from each album.

arXter also posted some ridiculously awesome stuff from the 70's I think on Maximum Jackson, I've downloaded it and have been enjoying it. So even after having been a fan for awhile, I'm still getting into his work.

Here's some more of those radio-friendly and/or head-noddable material I spoke of, just from the 90's onward.

*It's taking a bit for some of these to load, but they all work.

Funky and rhythmic:

20005661.jpg

Cream

A couple of jazzy tunes from Emancipation:

53438891.jpg

Style

Jam Of The Year

Nice hip-hop beat and much, much better than the original track:

87160593.jpg

The Greatest Romance Ever Sold (Adam And Eve Remix)

Prince putting some of the auto-tune to good use here:

3121.jpg

Incense & Candles

A mega-funky tune from MPLSound

mpls.jpg

Dance 4 Me

Some amazing guitar work and interpolation with a classic song, "Crimson & Clover".

99340423.jpg

Crimson & Clover

Check out some of his more radio-friendly jams like:

Diamonds & Pearls
I Can't Make You Love Me
I Hate U
Partyman
Black Sweat
Got On The Boat

I'm also really digging Crimson & Clover off of Lotusflow3r and Dance 4 Me off of MPL Sound.

That one right there is my favourite joint together with "I Would Die 4 U" (not soulful though) from Prince.

We need to bring back those ladies anthems!

I kind of slept on the new albums, even the Bria Valente album is really nice IMO.

"Kept Woman" is awesome. Way too girly for me to be listening to, but too groovy for me to stop.

I believe if you give Prince a try, you'll find plenty to like. Such is his body of work he appeals to old-school R&B fans, people who like rock, underground fans.... he's got a massive body of work and I can't imagine you not finding a sizable portion of material to enjoy, even if you have to just pick off one or two songs from each album.

arXter also posted some ridiculously awesome stuff from the 70's I think on Maximum Jackson, I've downloaded it and have been enjoying it. So even after having been a fan for awhile, I'm still getting into his work.

Here's some more of those radio-friendly and/or head-noddable material I spoke of, just from the 90's onward.

*It's taking a bit for some of these to load, but they all work.

Funky and rhythmic:

20005661.jpg

Cream

A couple of jazzy tunes from Emancipation:

53438891.jpg

Style

Jam Of The Year

Nice hip-hop beat and much, much better than the original track:

87160593.jpg

The Greatest Romance Ever Sold (Adam And Eve Remix)

Prince putting some of the auto-tune to good use here:

3121.jpg

Incense & Candles

A mega-funky tune from MPLSound

mpls.jpg

Dance 4 Me

Some amazing guitar work and interpolation with a classic song, "Crimson & Clover".

99340423.jpg

Crimson & Clover

Thanks for all your efforts there, listened to them all, the last one was the best for me.

hmmmm, me and Prince's relationship is quite complicated, lol. I like his "vibe" and "persona" and whatnot. I also like..well, here's the thing- I've only heard music that's been released of his- so I do like most of that :yes: I mean, I think he's great and he does great work with other artists. Well, I'm a sucker for a 'musical genius' even if I've only heard one tenth of their catalog!! lol

I'm gonna listen to those songs you guys posted later. So thanks for posting them!!!

I think the original poster would love CALL MY NAME, from the MUSICOLOGY album. I for one love it, very soulful.

Adore
The Question Of U
When 2 R In Love
Power Fantastic
Insatiable

Last edited:

Thanks

Welcome to the dark side, lol. Interesting post since I wouldn't call the songs you liked necessarily "soulful," as w/ his later recordings. In any event, if you like Controversy and rasp beret, i'd recommend everything from For You, his first album in 1977 or so, through Lovesexy (1988) [he released an album a yr up until 1992 or so]. Then I think the album quality falls except for a few, and I don't like much since the yr 2000.

if you're looking for a bigger collection of best songs i'd go w/ "The Hits/B-sides," and it's three discs: "clean" hits, "dirty" hits, and b-sides; the b-sides disk is great.

Adore
The Question Of U
When 2 R In Love
Power Fantastic
Insatiable
Such a great bunch of tracks here with plenty of soul. When 2 R In Love is so good, Lovesexy is such an incredible album, Anna Stesia is another from that album thats incredible.

Prince's Warner Brother's catalogue is back on Spotify. They do not start his playcount from zero but they continue from where it stood two years ago when they took it down. So that means his most played song Purple Rain has a count of about 25,291,780.

This is great news! Btw Bruno Mars Tribute on the grammys was great!

Nice....some great releases for vinyl record shop day.

Smiths, Madonna, Springsteen, Bowie and this...

Prince: 12" collection - Reissues of seven classic Prince singles, including Sign O' The Times, Batdance and Pop Life, with the original B-sides and remixes. Little Red Corvette will also be re-released as a 7" picture disc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39325897

Are record store day ones hard to get Tony? From what Ive read Ive no chance of getting the Bowie one

I might get the Prince singles. My mate does record store day every year and I've not been to one of them. Might support him this year.

Best Prince post 80s tracks please. I've only listened to his 80s stuff. The guy had too many albums and I'm not such a massive fan of his that I will listen to all his albums from start to finish so I would appreciate it if someone can post top 10-15 best Prince post 80s tracks. Thanks

These are in no particular order but I love most of these. Some of his best from the 90's.

Diamonds & Pearls
The Morning Papers
Gold
Dolphin
Gett Off
The Holy River
Cream
The Question Of You
Empty Room
Money Don't Matter Tonight
The Love We Make
Love 2 the 9's
The Greatest Romance Ever Sold

Not sure, think you have to drop lucky. I'd check BBC6 music website.
The only record store near me posted a facebook comment. Looks like ill be in town early that day!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Best Prince post 80s tracks please. I've only listened to his 80s stuff. The guy had too many albums and I'm not such a massive fan of his that I will listen to all his albums from start to finish so I would appreciate it if someone can post top 10-15 best Prince post 80s tracks. Thanks

Loveleft, Loveright
Can't Stop This Feeling I Got
My Computer
Strollin'
The One
Get On The Boat
No More Candy 4 U
Thunder
Sexual Suicide
Damned If I Do
Gett Off (Houstyle)
Don't Play Me
And God Created Woman
Love Sign (with Nona Gaye)
The Sacrifice Of Victor
Letitgo

More obvious ones for me....

Gold
Black Sweat
TMBGITW
Gett Off
Diamonds & Pearls
Get Wild (NPG)

Question Of U is a fantastic song indeed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back